Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah Man of Steel is exciting and there's tons of action and death. Not super clean like the Marvel stuff where nobody seems to get hurt when super humans fight each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah Man of Steel is exciting and there's tons of action and death. Not super clean like the Marvel stuff where nobody seems to get hurt when super humans fight each other.

What did you think of The Watchmen film?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

That's not setting the bar terribly high.

I said okay to good, I know the level of the bar. I think all the Reeves movies are pretty wretched.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would like Man of Steel slightly more if it had a bit more Kevin Costner and way less Russell Crowe (and no Russell Crowe riding a goddamn Avatar dragon monster).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yoshifan823 posted:

Superman didn't kill those people. They died, but Zod was the one responsible.

Again, not my point. You're getting caught in the tangible detail of "Superman killing people" while I'm trying to argue the tone feels irresponsible, especially for a character who's supposed to be better than that as a general rule. Superman has to fight with a hand tied behind his back; that's what makes him interesting. Now, granted, I didn't express this argument very well.

My point is, the death of Zod is utterly tensionless. Supes hasn't expressed any disinclination toward the act of killing beforehand (am I supposed to believe he wasn't already trying to kill Zod?), and he already got over the whole "killing the last of your kind" thing. I don't know enough about the character in the movie to understand that moment. What I do understand are the legendary comic book character of Superman and my own feelings towards death (feelings which made the loving gratuitously brutal scenes with Perry White outrunning the destruction of Metropolis disgusting to me. I get it, movie. People are dying. To show it with so little focus or attention is just indulgent). It used shortcuts like these to avoid actually having any sort of arc, and as a result I still don't understand who the filmmakers thought Superman was supposed to be. That entire movie felt like it was trying to be thoughtful about the character without having anything to say, and it all just feels like irrelevant navel-gazing. The characters make no sense, and the whole movie feels like an indulgent mess that's a million years long, none of which is helped by the loving ten-minute fight scene where Superman and Zod take turns punching each other into buildings. My problem isn't something dumb like Superman not fulfilling some nebulous ratio of people saved to buildings smashed or whatever, it's that absolutely everything about the scene leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

What did you think of The Watchmen film?

Forgot everything about it. I think I heard 99 Red Balloons at one point and that's a good song.

Bown posted:

I would like Man of Steel slightly more if it had a bit more Kevin Costner and way less Russell Crowe (and no Russell Crowe riding a goddamn Avatar dragon monster).

I just ignore that whole Krypton sequence. I watched the Blu Ray several times now and always skip it. It's terrible.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 20, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread derail is the worst. But you know what isn't the worst? You're The Worst. Let's talk about that some more instead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're The Worst is fantastic. and Aya Cash is adorable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

I gotta catch up on it. But I find it hard to believe that any exchange will top:

:mad: "My phone is covered in goo!"
:argh: "Well JOIN THE CLUB, PHONE!"

I posted that way upthread. Still adore it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Superman has to fight with a hand tied behind his back; that's what makes him interesting.

This is from JLU and not really a historical part of the character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

This is from JLU and not really a historical part of the character.

Eh whatever, that wasn't really relevant to the point I was trying to make anyhow.

Justice League was really good you guys

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 20, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usApwBbVq-8&t=413s

I believe Man of Steel would have fared better if it were like this. This is the show I grew up with and is, to date, my favorite rendition of Superman. :clint:

Edit: Also watch 30 seconds before the ending of the video if you want to see superman dance and Lois Lane surf on top of superman as he flies through the city.

Also, to those of you who think Man of Steel's flying scene was perfect, you clearly haven't seen this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCau4oo1FI

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 20, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

My point is, the death of Zod is utterly tensionless. Supes hasn't expressed any disinclination toward the act of killing beforehand (am I supposed to believe he wasn't already trying to kill Zod?), and he already got over the whole "killing the last of your kind" thing. I don't know enough about the character in the movie to understand that moment.

That's the moment of his final break with both of his fathers: he's using his full strength against a bully and there can be no more connection for him to Krypton at all. Jor El was only willing to kill once he'd decided that everyone on Krypton was already dead. It's Zod who argued for an authority to chose to kill, and what hurts Superman is accepting that argument (and thereby killing Zod). He's moved to a place of having no external moral restrictions - he becomes a superman - and his scream is one of anguished freedom.

Also, the three-way battle between Superman, the military, and Faora and Nam-Ek in Smallville is the best superpower fight scene in cinema.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

I gotta catch up on it. But I find it hard to believe that any exchange will top:

"I forced myself to finish on your disgusting feet"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

A few episodes later there's one that had me laughing far into the credits:

"Wait, you're gay?"
"No, but this nigga sucks really good cock."

It kinda relies on the context of the episode, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I posted a video of that here and the general consensus was "pfeh, gay joke? Please. :smug:"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man of Steel discussion really doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to talk about comic movies go to CD. If you want to talk about specific comics shows go the threads for them in this forum. If you want to talk about comic shows in general go to the thread in BSS.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

why did someone PM me about this derail I don't care about comic books

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

Man of Steel discussion really doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to talk about comic movies go to CD. If you want to talk about specific comics shows go the threads for them in this forum. If you want to talk about comic shows in general go to the thread in BSS.

Counterpoint: Man of Steel discussion doesn't belong in any forum.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fateo McMurray posted:

I don't care about comic books

Said all the proper people. Just like zombie-genre things, I'll be happier when all this comic book stuff that's flooding the market dies off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh that would just be the icing on the cake. Probably never gonna happen, though.

Unless her name is Starice Clarling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Oh that would just be the icing on the cake. Probably never gonna happen, though.

Unless her name is Starice Clarling.

They actually can't legally use Clarice for some bizarre rights reason.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I saw that tweet a while back but I doubt she has any clout. They are still negotiating for Claring Starling though, right? They just need to greenlight to hit Ctrl+F replace all all the SOTL scripts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Because Lifetime is a piece of poo poo.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Man, House got weird in its last few seasons. I just saw a dream sequence in which he blew away his zombified coworkers.

Edit: and now there's a song and dance scene

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Yeah, I know. Which is why she'd have to go by the bizarro alternate name unless they secured the rights.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy loving god, I've been going through Criminal Minds on Netflix and I just finished the 100th episode in which The Reaper kills Hotch's wife and Hotch kills The Reaper by beating him to a loving pulp :stonk:

They really loving ramped up the intensity for that 100th episode, god drat.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's unlikely Clarice Starling will appear on the show, but it would be really cool if Fuller could get Foster to direct an episode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Apparently Lifetime is making a tv show based on Clarice Starling.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Bown posted:

I love that exchange where the rappers talk about their normal clothing, you know, what they wear to the farmer's market.

It's really such an amazing show. I hope it gets another season.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The new season starts tomorrow so please start getting your new OPs posted for shows starting/returning in the next two weeks. Post a link in the Index thread when it's up, please

I'm doing mine today. :v:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

It's a weird MGM thing. They optioned the rights to 'Silence of the Lambs' when they made the movie and got the rights to any character who originated in that book, so that's Clarice and Buffalo Bill. I'm not sure if they're allowed to use the same plot or if that's cutting it too close to the bone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently Lifetime is making a tv show based on Clarice Starling.

Well, they claim that they are but there's been no news on that front for at least a couple years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well, they claim that they are but there's been no news on that front for at least a couple years.
Yeah, my understanding is that the Lifetime "movie" is what's preventing release of rights to those characters.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jack Skeleton posted:

I love that exchange where the rappers talk about their normal clothing, you know, what they wear to the farmer's market.

It's really such an amazing show. I hope it gets another season.

That was an awesome moment. Or when Jimmy meets them at the movies at the black movie theater because he likes to yell at the screen like when they go to Glendale to watch serious movies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well it looks like Colin Farrell is confirmed to be in season 2 of True Detective. Now I wonder what other huge names are scrambling to get cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

Well it looks like Colin Farrell is confirmed to be in season 2 of True Detective. Now I wonder what other huge names are scrambling to get cast.

The other lead is supposed to be a woman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why would Jodie foster go from starring in one of the best movies ever mAde and the by far best Hannibal related media to slumming on its arguable worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I know you're trolling with that comment but if you've never seen Hannibal Rising you should feel fortunate.

• Locked thread