Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Okay, let's start with the easy parts. The knock-on effects of Ranzear's convergence ideas alone make it completely unworkable. The first issue is that it's a massive, comprehensive, and utterly arbitrary rebalance across the entire roster of availalble mechs as cosmetic design choices suddenly become defining aspects of their functionality in ways they were never, ever designed or balanced around. Some mechs would be virtually unaffected; either they carry their weapons primarily on fully actuated arms, or their torso weapons are mounted closely together. Other mechs are hugely impacted, and the decision between who gets the shaft and who gets the pass was made by a nerd scribbling out some TRO designs thirty years ago. Changing convergence while allowing some mechs to slip through with minimal affect and not doing anything to change what made it so powerful in the first place doesn't fix anything; it just means huge swathes of mechs are unusable in serious play because other chassis will be able to do the same job better.

Another knock-on effect is that continuous-fire weapons like small caliber autocannons become unusable. It's hard enough combining AC/5 or UAC/5 fire into a mixed loadout when all you have to do is adjust your leading for a moment to let off your other weapons. Imagine trying to do this while switching to an entirely separate reticule. Oh, and if you had two such weapons mounted in significantly different locations, like, say, every loving stock Jagermech? Sucks to be you, jackass, because there is no way to ever effectively use them together. It's also a pretty decent punch in the dick to lasers, since you have to aim one for a second or so, then aim another for a second or so, and so on, all while hoping in the intervening time that the target didn't just walk away or something. Funnily enough, the weapons least affected by this would be the one-shot big-hitters, since they require the least aiming focus per gun/damage of anything in the game. A good pilot could probably rotate through a full rack of PPCs or Gauss Rifles and then start torso twisting through his cooldowns in the time it took someone else to fully discharge a single Large Laser.

So, basically, you'd be ruining a huge portion of the mechs in the game without actually fixing the problem and quite possibly end up giving a comparative increase in power to the weapons you were concerned about in the first place. If our basis for comparison is the initial implementation of Ghost Heat enshrining 2PP/1Gauss as the One True Build and unintentionally nerfing several of the builds that were being used as a response to it, then congratulations! You may be the long-lost heir of House Inouye!

Also, this game is definitely not less of a simulation than MW4, which had one crosshair upon which all weapons converged unerringly, an even simpler mechlab with more liberal (and exploitable) fitting options, much lower lead times, and much nimbler large mechs. Mind, any time you try to make a specific example from another game all it does is prove to anyone who has ever played it what a remarkable nonce you are, but thanks for the extra data point I guess.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In fairness, his contention that PGI's prior balance attempts (which appear to consist entirely of telling the programmers to smash their faces into computer keyboards until code somehow saves and compiles) have been inadequate is pretty unequivocally true.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Is PGI's poor history and glacially incompetent response to the game's issues really something that should ever be up for debate except to remind people who are holding hope to not hold their breath at the same time?
In :pgi:'s offering to discuss how to fix their game and unban people lay yet another mech stimulus pack and the Transverse cash grab.

Erata fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 21, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

In fairness, his contention that PGI's prior balance attempts (which appear to consist entirely of telling the programmers to smash their faces into computer keyboards until code somehow saves and compiles) have been inadequate is pretty unequivocally true.

I may be coming in a bit strong but this has been my first chance to reply and his posts are so studiously terrible that I'm not convinced he's a real account.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Erata posted:

Is PGI's poor history and glacially incompetent response to the game's issues really something that should ever be up for debate except to remind people who are holding hope to not hold their breath at the same time?
In :pgi:'s offering to discuss how to fix their game and unban people lay yet another mech stimulus pack and the Transverse cash grab.

Well yeah, I wouldn't put money into this game right now (besides the absolute minimum for mech bays, but I can pass on a couple bags of chips you know?) but despite PGI being :pgi: the actual gameplay is still fun. Somehow.

Also it's nice to know who gave me my title. Thanks Iron Tusk (if that's also your forums name). :cheers:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I loaded up the game after taking a break since before the Phoenix package.

What the gently caress is wrong with the UI? Seriously, I don't know how it could have been made any worse given there were 2-3 web builders they could have modeled off of. Hell they could have allowed players to modify their mechs outside of the game using a web-based version at this point.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

Well yeah, I wouldn't put money into this game right now (besides the absolute minimum for mech bays, but I can pass on a couple bags of chips you know?) but despite PGI being :pgi: the actual gameplay is still fun. Somehow.

Also it's nice to know who gave me my title. Thanks Iron Tusk (if that's also your forums name). :cheers:

My brown sea name is also Erata and I'm too thrifty to buy anyone a title just to make fun of them. :shrug:
idk I'm glad someone's enjoying the game I guess. I do hope that PGI pulls their head out of the Paul's armpit in light of the Transverse flop.

edit: Visiting the MWO forums, randomly come across a thread entitled WANTED: .... 3 FEMALE WOLFLANCE COMMANDERS :yikes:

Erata fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 21, 2014

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I loaded up the game after taking a break since before the Phoenix package.

What the gently caress is wrong with the UI? Seriously, I don't know how it could have been made any worse given there were 2-3 web builders they could have modeled off of. Hell they could have allowed players to modify their mechs outside of the game using a web-based version at this point.

That would actually be a pretty killer feature; I'd love to be able to sit at work and tinker with the loadouts on my metal manbabies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Erata posted:

idk I'm glad someone's enjoying the game I guess. I do hope that PGI pulls their head out of the Paul's armpit in light of the Transverse flop.

I really feel like all this recent stuff (putting Nico in the corner, all the 'anniversary' goodies) is happening because PGI's pet Transverse kickstarter failes SO MISERABLY. Like, when you can't even raise $10k for a video game you know it's not just a lack of word of mouth, that's your entire playerbase going 'nah, gently caress that/you'.

I am hoping it was enough of a kick in the pants to make them serious about turning around their current cash cow. They put a hard date on Community Warfare (Dec 21?) so we'll see if they actually put in the work to have something ready for then...

e: Anyone have experience running a CN9-AL with 1xERPPC, 2xMLas? It's less overall firepower than my current setup (2xLLas/2xMLas) but you don't have to spend as much 'face time' at mid-range; wondering if it might work out better in practice than it looks on paper.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 21, 2014

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

WarLocke posted:

e: Anyone have experience running a CN9-AL with 1xERPPC, 2xMLas? It's less overall firepower than my current setup (2xLLas/2xMLas) but you don't have to spend as much 'face time' at mid-range; wondering if it might work out better in practice than it looks on paper.

Never used a PPC cent-al, but the one I use is: 1x LPL in the arm, 2x ML in CT, 2x SRM 6 (2 tons ammo) with a 225 std; could drop the LPL to a LL and get an extra ton of ammo and a heat sink. I dropped the speed down quite a bit for weapons & heat sinks. It works because if you spread the damage around there isn't one thing that reduces your damage output much. RA goes, still have ML + SRM; use the shield arm and lose the LT, you still have the LPL + ML; so you have decent damage all the way down to a popsicle.

Another option is 3 Large lasers. Some people like it, I don't care for it since it dumps 2/3 of your weapons in an easy to destroy spot-- much like the 9x ML hunchback. It's still decent and leaves you with a LL for zombie-ing.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Until today I thought the match score was something like the activity rating in War Thunder, going up to 100. I was always happy when I got up in the 90s. Now I managed for the first time to pull a 114 and instead of beeing happy about it I feel like I was a totaly worthless scrub up until that round. :negative:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
This image :cripes: :pgi: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/172009-dev-vlog8-developer-interview-mad-dog-footage-king-crab-concept/page__pid__3746159#entry3746159
They really could have used another still for their sound tech.

RalphyNoPants
Jul 5, 2012
I feel sorry for him. From the little bit I heard he seems like a nice person.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sean is a super cool guy and makes great sound effects. WUB WUB WUB

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Number19 posted:

Sean is a super cool guy and makes great sound effects. WUB WUB WUB

Well it's not a major issue, but it's not nice to put suchs pics online. There is enough material to take a good shot. Can you pass that on as constructive criticism?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Is he the one that used the sound effects from the Fruity Loops trial as a warhorn? :v:

The rest of the sound is good enough I can forgive it though. Even when MGs were poo poo I'd still bring them just for the sound.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it's not a major issue, but it's not nice to put suchs pics online. There is enough material to take a good shot. Can you pass that on as constructive criticism?

I will pass it along

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Is he the one that used the sound effects from the Fruity Loops trial as a warhorn? :v:

The rest of the sound is good enough I can forgive it though. Even when MGs were poo poo I'd still bring them just for the sound.

This so much. Back when we played regularly, one of my friends would run load outs consisting almost entirely of L pulses and machine guns just for the sounds. Meanwhile I spent a lot of time running around in a 9 FLAMER hunch.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The sound design really is top. I often run hot, not because I shoot too much at reds, but because I keep firing even when the other guy is done, cause it's so much fun to hear that woopwoopwoop of my pulse lasers.

RalphyNoPants
Jul 5, 2012
Jon Cunningham is top notch too.

DicksMcGee
Apr 17, 2012
Retained whale reporting in, what should I do besides kill myself for continuing to give PGI money because I am stupid and cannot think of better ways to spend what little disposable income I have. Should I play robits with you guys or forever banish myself to the brown sea for such shameful financial decisions?

RalphyNoPants
Jul 5, 2012
Play with us. We've got a small group going now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
But also kill yourself.

RalphyNoPants
Jul 5, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

But also kill yourself.

You should come play with us too!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
+1 on the sound design bit, he's done awesome work. I particularly like the ambient sounds - the footsteps and weapon sounds are obvious, but there's also the thrum of the reactor, the whirrs and clanks of motion - panning for targets, twisting the 'Mech's torso and hearing the whrrrclnkclunkclunkclunk as the torso rotates - it really does make the game FEEL like you're piloting something big and stompy. Can't wait to have a go at the King Crab.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RalphyNoPants posted:

You should come play with us too!

Really can't be bothered fighting the atrocious UI. Also, to be clear, the "kill yourself" was directed to people still throwing money at PGI. Playing it is personal preference, paying PGI is demonstrably moronic.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fil5000 posted:

Really can't be bothered fighting the atrocious UI. Also, to be clear, the "kill yourself" was directed to people still throwing money at PGI. Playing it is personal preference, paying PGI is demonstrably moronic.

Are you going to fight the battle to pilot a King Crab?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Voyager I posted:

Fil will be getting a vulture Tuesday.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Captain Keene posted:

This so much. Back when we played regularly, one of my friends would run load outs consisting almost entirely of L pulses and machine guns just for the sounds. Meanwhile I spent a lot of time running around in a 9 FLAMER hunch.

9 Flamer Hunchies remind me of that time I outfitted a Nova with 13 of them. It...was fun. :v:

Didn't work out in the long run, though. Nova piloting was a bit too awkward and sluggish for me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Embrace change. The UI is terrible but not so horrid that you can't figure it out. Also, I miss you, terribly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Voyager I posted:

I'm not playing until CW is in, which in theory should be the same time as the crab.

Lol.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
i don't actually find that mugshot all that offensive what's wrong with you guys

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

They want the loving sound guy to look like a greek god or some poo poo.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not playing until CW is in, which in theory should be the same time as the crab.
Lol.

I'll try to play when the Mad Cat is available for MC/C-Bills. Since I have a "bit" left.

double riveting posted:

i don't actually find that mugshot all that offensive what's wrong with you guys

It's not offensive. It's an unfortunate capture, with his mouth half open. I mean when you do it, why not present him in the best light possible.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
drat, this thread is moving so drat fast, my referral keeps getting lost in the mass of posts!

quote:

Here is a referral to Heavy Gear if anyone wants to help me get some keys: http://heavygear.com/register?ref=de54d3d3

Even if you don't care about this game maybe you could register to help me get some keys for goons that want to?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Koorisch posted:

drat, this thread is moving so drat fast, my referral keeps getting lost in the mass of posts!

I'm going to challenge you to a referral off. :colbert:

Daddy needs 100!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have a Heavy Gear referral too: http://heavygear.com/register?ref=0e1ab81c

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's not offensive. It's an unfortunate capture, with his mouth half open. I mean when you do it, why not present him in the best light possible.

yeah, but it doesn't make him look retarded or anything, just like he was talking... i guess? i mean, there's trying to not make people look dumb and there's implying people look dumb just for not being in their best light possible is all i'm saying.

DicksMcGee
Apr 17, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Well, I am pretty moronic, but not moronic enough to throw down 500 dollars on a gold mech, just moronic enough to give them money in the first place. Either way, I'm not offended. I expected a much larger dogpiling for what I posted to be honest. I'm a gullible moron who gets suckered out of cash by game companies, MWO is just one of a few F2P games I've habitually wasted money on. It's a terrible habit and I'm trying to get out of it because I'd rather be spending that money elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DicksMcGee posted:

Well, I am pretty moronic, but not moronic enough to throw down 500 dollars on a gold mech, just moronic enough to give them money in the first place. Either way, I'm not offended. I expected a much larger dogpiling for what I posted to be honest. I'm a gullible moron who gets suckered out of cash by game companies, MWO is just one of a few F2P games I've habitually wasted money on. It's a terrible habit and I'm trying to get out of it because I'd rather be spending that money elsewhere.

Oh, dude, there's so many of us that have already given them money, I just mean anyone who gave them money from Phoenix onwards is a dumb. I have them money for Phoenix and founders so I am a dumb. Founders can be justified as the game was fun back then, Phoenix not so much.

• Locked thread