Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You don't get it. If I had to rate the Star Wars movies I'd rate them in the following order:

1) Attack of the Clones
2) Transformers Dark Side of the Moon
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) John Carter and the Movie about John Carter In Space
6) JJTrek09
7) A New Hope (Star Wars Episode IV)
8) Return of the Jedi
9) Empire Strikes Back
10) Buckaroo Bonzai and the Beings from the Eight Dimension
11) Transformers Too: Transform Harder
12) Titanic
13) Aliens vs Predator || Requiem for a Dream
14) Starship Troopers

That's also the order SMG prefers to view them in. I however prefer to watch them all at once on 12 simultaneous TVs. I know there's 13 movies, but I watch Transformers III The Wall and Return of the Jedi on one TV at once since they are basically shot for shot remakes. Which one is in the picture is really a subjective choice, I prefer the CGI landscapes of TFIIITHW to the terrible puppetry of ROTJ, so I usually put it in the main picture, except for the amazing new Jabba's Palace dance and the new Ewok song, at which point I switch it to the main picture.

I think you will find that SMG would have the new Planet of the Apes at the top of his Star Wars viewing list, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Chronojam posted:

I think you will find that SMG would have the new Planet of the Apes at the top of his Star Wars viewing list, thank you very much.

Nah it's gotta be Moonraker.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

feedmyleg posted:

I think part of it is that when there are practical effects, it's a lot easier for the actors to be natural and you don't end up with everyone being as wooden as they were in the prequels. Well, that and this time around they'll have a director who don't think of the actors as props to fix in post.
I'll reveal my complete ignorance of film acting. Couldn't greenscreen vs. actor issues have been just the teething pains of a new technology? I'm assuming that in the 15 years since, 'how to interact with air and greenscreens' has gotten to become a part of the curriculum. Given how, for example, Tatiana Maslany has no problems interacting with no one but several copies of herself in Orphan Black.

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know what's so weird about it? Most people are more familiar with making things with their hands than they are with creating things on their computer, so practical effects seem at the very least like the people behind them put effort into them. I think that's a perfectly understandable view, if incorrect. CGI is just a fat dude sitting in front of a computer, practical effects is Jim Hanson lovingly gluing mops and puppets together.
That's an interesting question for the psychologists, then - do people have a cognitive bias towards the practical, as more 'effort'? (Given how the work a lot of people now do does sit only inside computers, this attitude presumes that that stereotypical fat dude doesn't love what he does, *and* that practical effects can't be shoddy etc. etc.)

It's probably so, to some extent, and, if so, Lucas could have simply accidentally stumbled against a block of human irrationality with the prequels. But it also does feel like there's this fashion/shibboleth thing going, where this innate bias has been amplified by the society until the point where it's assumed that 'practical'='good', without questioning why.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

You don't get it. If I had to rate the Star Wars movies I'd rate them in the following order:

1) Attack of the Clones
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
6) JJTrek09
8) Return of the Jedi
9) Empire Strikes Back
12) Titanic
14) Starship Troopers

Man, you need to do your homework. Return of the Jedi is easily the worst Star Wars film - far worse than every other film on that list.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What about the Clone Wars animated movie, and the entire TV series following it?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

What about the Clone Wars animated movie, and the entire TV series following it?

I don't really watch television.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SMG I know you saw your bat signal but it was just a false alarm, JJ pulled it as a goof on Nolan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1) Attack of the Clones
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
6) JJTrek09
8) Return of the Jedi
9) Empire Strikes Back
12) Titanic
14) Starship Troopers

That's also the order SMG prefers to view them in. I however prefer to watch them all at once on 12 simultaneous TVs. I know there's 13 movies, but I watch Transformers III The Wall and Return of the Jedi on one TV at once since they are basically shot for shot remakes. Which one is in the picture is really a subjective choice, I prefer the CGI landscapes of TFIIITHW to the terrible puppetry of ROTJ, so I usually put it in the main picture, except for the amazing new Jabba's Palace dance and the new Ewok song, at which point I switch it to the main picture.

Empire Strikes Back should not be on that list!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

meristem posted:

That's an interesting question for the psychologists, then - do people have a cognitive bias towards the practical, as more 'effort'? (Given how the work a lot of people now do does sit only inside computers, this attitude presumes that that stereotypical fat dude doesn't love what he does, *and* that practical effects can't be shoddy etc. etc.)

It's probably so, to some extent, and, if so, Lucas could have simply accidentally stumbled against a block of human irrationality with the prequels. But it also does feel like there's this fashion/shibboleth thing going, where this innate bias has been amplified by the society until the point where it's assumed that 'practical'='good', without questioning why.

I think it's a different cognitive bias at play. Practical vs CG effects is a recognizable feature of a film and there's a human tendency to associate one's holistic reaction to something, even though it may be primarily driven by elements one can't elucidate, with the elements that are readily apparent. We're bad at knowing why we like or dislike what we like or dislike, so we latch onto something obvious about it.

Which is why people can hate the prequels for being all CGI despite having a ton of practical effects. Or then turn around and praise Guardians of the Galaxy as a superior space opera, with is just as CG filled.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I think part of it is that when there are practical effects, it's a lot easier for the actors to be natural and you don't end up with everyone being as wooden as they were in the prequels. Well, that and this time around they'll have a director who don't think of the actors as props to fix in post.

As people have repeatedly pointed out, there were actually a lot of practical sets built for the PT, and a lot of blue screen sets used for the OT.

In order for this argument to have any merit, you'd have to show that the PT acting was worse during scenes with a lot of CGI, and better during scenes with little CGI. But that doesn't seem to be the case. The acting is of a pretty consistent quality all the way through--that is to say, not really that bad at all, and marred only by writing that can be a little awkward.

I mean, I'm sure it's a little more difficult to act around things that aren't really there. But people have been doing that kind of thing for ages. It's a skill actors are supposed to have.

Or, to be flippant:

ARGH gently caress LUCAS. He just doesn't get it! Enough with the blue screen! You couldn't have just built a full-size hangar set with all those millions of dollars?

Now this is what I'm talking about! Practical effects all the way, baby. I can almost feel the polished steel in my hands. Now this director actually gets it! Movie's going to be awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

SMG I know you saw your bat signal but it was just a false alarm, JJ pulled it as a goof on Nolan.

It was actually a goof on Zach Snyder. The two have been having a social media game where they try to one up each other with gags featuring the other film. JJ is winning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It was actually a goof on Zach Snyder. The two have been having a social media game where they try to one up each other with gags featuring the other film. JJ is winning.

That explains the stormtrooper getting arrested.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

As people have repeatedly pointed out, there were actually a lot of practical sets built for the PT, and a lot of blue screen sets used for the OT.

In order for this argument to have any merit, you'd have to show that the PT acting was worse during scenes with a lot of CGI, and better during scenes with little CGI. But that doesn't seem to be the case. The acting is of a pretty consistent quality all the way through--that is to say, not really that bad at all, and marred only by writing that can be a little awkward.

I mean, I'm sure it's a little more difficult to act around things that aren't really there. But people have been doing that kind of thing for ages. It's a skill actors are supposed to have.

Or, to be flippant:

ARGH gently caress LUCAS. He just doesn't get it! Enough with the blue screen! You couldn't have just built a full-size hangar set with all those millions of dollars?

Now this is what I'm talking about! Practical effects all the way, baby. I can almost feel the polished steel in my hands. Now this director actually gets it! Movie's going to be awesome.

There's no "logic" to the CGI vs. PRACTICAL EFFECTS slapfight and I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the fact that them using practical effects means they'd have to build a full-size Millennium Falcon.

And that's rad as hell.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pieces like this really need to be on display somewhere.

Get on it, Disney.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

hhhat posted:

Pieces like this really need to be on display somewhere.

Get on it, Disney.

Are you saying it belongs in a museum?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Chronojam posted:

Are you saying it belongs in a museum?

They have top men looking into it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Corek posted:

The animated movie is the worst Star Wars film. Hands down. The prequels are practically unwatchable but there's at least some high points here and there (the pod race, Darth Maul duel etc.). The animated movie has none of that.

Krowley posted:

There's no "logic" to the CGI vs. PRACTICAL EFFECTS slapfight and I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the fact that them using practical effects means they'd have to build a full-size Millennium Falcon.

And that's rad as hell.

People would be less up in arms about the over use of CGI in the prequels if they didn't look so lovely.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yaws posted:

The animated movie is the worst Star Wars film. Hands down. The prequels are practically unwatchable but there's at least some high points here and there (the pod race, Darth Maul duel etc.). The animated movie has none of that.

It killed my interest in the series, and I was actually kind of amazed when I watched the series and it was good that something good could come from that abysmal start.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That "movie" was the pilot, and it was the kind of pilot that's more like an extended animation test than a proper episode. It's not surprising that so many people wrote it off after such a weak start.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

That "movie" was the pilot, and it was the kind of pilot that's more like an extended animation test than a proper episode. It's not surprising that so many people wrote it off after such a weak start.

Also Jabba's uncle is a huge gay stereotype.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah from what I read Lucas visited the studio and saw some test footage and was like "This is great! We should release it in theaters now!" And the animation team was like "AWESOME let's polish this up and make a real movie out of this." and he was like "Let me repeat myself, we should release it in theaters NOW!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Corek posted:

Also Jabba's uncle is a huge gay stereotype.

Specifically a gay sterotype modeled after Truman Capote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

People would be less up in arms about the over use of CGI in the prequels if they didn't look so lovely.

It doesn't though, especially in comparison with CGI of the same era (and even some CGI in the present day).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Specifically a gay sterotype modeled after Truman Capote.

And they gave him a girlfriend anyway, her being Sy Snootles who then killed him for the Hutts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

It doesn't though, especially in comparison with CGI of the same era (and even some CGI in the present day).

The space CGI looks fine, honestly, given the comparison you said. The virtual sets, though, are just so, so bad.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Or, to be flippant:

The acting is pretty bad though. Every scene with Anakin and/or Padme is completely flat, Episode 1 doesn't have a single memorable performance (at least in a positive way). Ewan McGregor turns in the best performance in the series in part 2 and 3, setting the highwater mark. The Emperor has a couple of interesting bits but he's mostly relegated to boring scenes. Most of the people involved have done way better jobs in other movies (even Anakins actor) which points really strongly to the writer (Lucas) or the director (Lucas) as being the problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Episode 1 doesn't have a single memorable performance (at least in a positive way).

Qui-Gon was most certainly memorable, as was R2-D2 (who was one of the most memorable characters of the OT as well).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'd say Ian McDiarmid's performance is pretty impressive the whole way through, even when he goes Full Evil-Muppet in the end.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'd say Ian McDiarmid's performance is pretty impressive the whole way through, even when he goes Full Evil-Muppet in the end.

drat straight.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

He seems to genuinely like Palpatine as a character and I don't see how playing a cackling Space Dracula could be anything less than a blast.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Potential BFF posted:

He seems to genuinely like Palpatine as a character and I don't see how playing a cackling Space Dracula could be anything less than a blast.

Um, Christopher Lee as Count D. is Space Dracula, obviously.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Something I just thought about - is it made clear whether Anakin knows he's the Chosen One™ as he's being trained, or is that just a thing Obi-Wan and the masters keep to themselves?

I know Obi-Wan does the whole "you were the chosen one" speech after he cut off his limbs but I don't recall it coming up with Anakin present before then.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

computer parts posted:

Something I just thought about - is it made clear whether Anakin knows he's the Chosen One™ as he's being trained, or is that just a thing Obi-Wan and the masters keep to themselves?

I know Obi-Wan does the whole "you were the chosen one" speech after he cut off his limbs but I don't recall it coming up with Anakin present before then.

I don't remember, but he must at least know there was a reason that two Jedi went out of their way to take him on as an apprentice even though the Jedi council didn't like him very much.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Corek posted:

Um, Christopher Lee as Count D. is Space Dracula, obviously.

Only until Palpatine gets melted into Bram Stoker's old Gary Oldman Dracula.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

As much fun as cackling evil villains can be, I personally wish he had been given somewhat different material to work with. Namely, that that the PT had gone further to make the Sith, including Palpatine, more multidimensional and morally ambiguous than was implied in his various reactions (e.g., concerning Qui-gon and Obi Wan: "Kill them immediately!", concerning the execution of the Jedi children: "Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy.", while electrocuting Mace Windu: "Unlimited . . . Power!", etc.). Something closer to to the portrayal of the emperor-to-be in Hero*, perhaps, where, once revealed, the vision of the "antagonist" as a source of true unity and resolution of genuine and widespread conflict is so compelling that it forms part of the reason that the protagonist gives up his quest to kill the emperor and instead allows himself to die. (In my view, an ending like that for Windu, with Anakin witnessing it, would have been much more interesting.) And with the Sith in general following passion, but not always destructive passion and pursuing more clearly worthwhile aims; love drunk dervishes, contrasted with passion denying (and more overtly ossified and corrupt) Jedi monastics.

* This is not to say that Hero was a particularly good movie, only that it's an example of humanizing the antagonist more fully.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is Senator Palpatine's name supposed to be a reference to Senator Palantine from Taxi Driver or not?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

As much fun as cackling evil villains can be, I personally wish he had been given somewhat different material to work with. Namely, that that the PT had gone further to make the Sith, including Palpatine, more multidimensional and morally ambiguous than was implied in his various reactions (e.g., concerning Qui-gon and Obi Wan: "Kill them immediately!", concerning the execution of the Jedi children: "Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy.", while electrocuting Mace Windu: "Unlimited . . . Power!", etc.). Something closer to to the portrayal of the emperor-to-be in Hero*, perhaps, where, once revealed, the vision of the "antagonist" as a source of true unity and resolution of genuine and widespread conflict is so compelling that it forms part of the reason that the protagonist gives up his quest to kill the emperor and instead allows himself to die. (In my view, an ending like that for Windu, with Anakin witnessing it, would have been much more interesting.) And with the Sith in general following passion, but not always destructive passion and pursuing more clearly worthwhile aims; love drunk dervishes, contrasted with passion denying (and more overtly ossified and corrupt) Jedi monastics.

* This is not to say that Hero was a particularly good movie, only that it's an example of humanizing the antagonist more fully.

Palpatine is multidimensional and morally ambiguous because he is gleefully and unrepentantly Evil.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

"If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force."

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Isn't 'the Sith following passion, but not always destructive passion' some EU bullshit, though? The Sith are all about social dominance and right-wing authoritarianism.

Here is a neat quote about social dominators:

Bob Altemeyer, The Authoritarians posted:

Social dominance scores correlate very strongly with these answers to the Power Mad scale. High scorers are inclined to be intimidating, ruthless, and vengeful. They scorn such noble acts as helping others, and being kind, charitable, and forgiving. Instead they would rather be feared than loved, and be viewed as mean, pitiless, and vengeful. They love power, including the power to hurt in their drive to the top.
[...]
“For any group to succeed, all its members have to give it their complete loyalty.” We saw that authoritarian followers endorse such sentiments. But social dominators do not. Oh sure, they want their followers to be super loyal to the group they lead. But they themselves are not really in it so much for the group or its cause, but more for themselves. It’s all about them, not about a higher purpose.
[...]
Social dominators thus admit, anonymously, to striving to manipulate others, and to being dishonest, two-faced, treacherous, and amoral.

How can you demand that Palpatine be more-dimensional if he's an accurate (well, accurate for a lightsaber-wielding space fantasy, anyway) representation of a very real group of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I get that he's set up as a mustache twirling comic book style incarnation of evil. I just personally would find it more interesting if he were set up slightly differently. Similarly, you can define the Sith as authoritarian, then use that defining characteristic to explain their behavior, but the question is whether that initial definition was well chosen. My own assessment, ultimately a subjective one, is that a broader vision of their M.O., one that makes it relatable and understandable to a greater degree than it is in the PT, would make for a more compelling story. And as to social dominance, there generally is a difference between run of the mill ambition and quasi amorality of the kind we all see in large organizations and the "Go kill a bunch of childern, mwahahaha!" mode of operation we see in Palpatine.

• Locked thread