Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh god honey badgers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
random encounters dont make much sense to me. 15 exp for killing bugs, fine. giant rabbits which are just unmitigated piles of bullshit are 20 xp. random encounter 12 health bandits that can drop guns as loot? 25 exp :confused:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Agreed. I named my Russian character "Shutyur Hedov". Since I can never think of anything cool I always go for goofy.

I can't even go for goofy :( I have a party of Keith, Sandra, Carlos and Vanessa. The squarest rangers ever :(

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
yeah, I'm definitely on the Rail Yard problems list. I don't have a crazy high level on my rear end skills. Is there anything I can do to prevent a bloodbath? Also, same deal with Vulture's Cry. Freed her Highpool jail, and she said thanks and left. Charisma level is average, so what the hell?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

yeah, I'm definitely on the Rail Yard problems list. I don't have a crazy high level on my rear end skills. Is there anything I can do to prevent a bloodbath? Also, same deal with Vulture's Cry. Freed her Highpool jail, and she said thanks and left. Charisma level is average, so what the hell?

I have my charisma at 1 and so far out of 3 none have declined joining me. The system is :psyduck: as gently caress.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Arnold of Soissons posted:

My custom portrait hosed up and now two of my guys have the same one, how do I fix that?

Also is there any thing I can do to change my character sheet/respec? I scrolled up

Make a new character, set the custom portrait, and put everything but the .png in <portraitName>

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there some reason i should take 25 exp per recruit instead of the scrap?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Am I missing something at the Rail Camp? Running between the two leaders is a pain in the rear end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eddain posted:

So I just finished the Nomad Rail Camp and Chisel wanted to join me at the end. I was full though so I told him to just wait and don't leave town, and when I came back later he's nowhere to be found.

For a game released in 2014 this is a pretty terrible recruitment system. Can't tell NPCs to stay where they are or send them to a specific location. It's either get them now or get hosed.

If you had the specific option of tell him to wait and don't leave, and somehow he disappear, that sounds like a bug, not a "bad recruitment system". Maybe it's just a bug in the effect of that dialog.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 21, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Stopped at 2 Luck, but goddamn is it really loving annoying, considering that you'll lose the AP trying to fire, lose more AP unjamming, and only then can you start shooting again.

Can someone confirm and measure the effect of luck on jamming guns?

It should be easy to make a game with two characters, one with Luck 1 and other with Luck 10, both with the same points in weapons skills, and then make a few tests saving, unloading their guns and counting the times it jams, and quickloading again.

Verviticus posted:

weapons explicitly say their chance to break and it seems to be about right for me with 1 luck on all my guys. 5-8% is pretty common among weapons and you have four dudes firing per turn

That may be is the "base" chance to break, modified later by other factors like luck. Who knows.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 21, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is this flag above my head?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

What is this flag above my head?

That's the ambush (overwatch) icon.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Pointless armchair game design time. I feel like trap/lock/etc. failures are sort of pointless. Not that there shouldn't be hurdles, but in an RPG like this I'd imagine most people reload after critical failures until they're able to open what they want.

You know how a critical success takes half the time to complete? It would be nice if every non-Impossible interaction worked, with the level of success/failure simply impacting the completion time, and your XP bonus dropping with every passing second.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't reload, cause in a system where you can permanently miss out of rewards, those rewards are rarely worth a drat.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

That's the ambush (overwatch) icon.

Oh, thanks! That must have been a bug because I wasn't in combat. I saved and re-loaded and the flag disappeared.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Pointless armchair game design time. I feel like trap/lock/etc. failures are sort of pointless. Not that there shouldn't be hurdles, but in an RPG like this I'd imagine most people reload after critical failures until they're able to open what they want.

You know how a critical success takes half the time to complete? It would be nice if every non-Impossible interaction worked, with the level of success/failure simply impacting the completion time, and your XP bonus dropping with every passing second.

It isn't a design failure. It's a coding failure: in other games randomness come from a seed number, and that seed number is stored in the save file. So savescumming doesn't work, there are randomness when you use the skills but it's fixed, if you fail opening a safe, loading the save again and trying it again will produce the same random roll and the same failure opening the safe.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Pretty much. The long reload time just makes it more annoying

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

How on earth do I stop the (dunno if this is spoilers)meson cannon turret thing from locking on? I dive behind a building and still get hit. I run the hell away and I still get hit. What do I need to do to this thing to keep it off me?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Did we ever figure out what the deal is with The Provost?

Also has anyone figured a way to use heavy weapons as a main combat option where it's not just like SMGs where you piss through every bit of your ammo? I never gave them a try in the beta.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

So far I managed to refrain from doing that because in the end all it would achieve would be to lessen my enjoyment. I keep a list of safes/crates I left untouched because they're too hard at my skill level... what a loving nerd I am :sigh:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Pretty much. The long reload time just makes it more annoying

When I built my computer last year I decided to put an SSD into it. Up until this game I've always thought, "Man, you really didn't need to spend that extra money." I was just thinking to myself, moments ago, "Man, that SSD makes this game's constant reloading bearable."

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Prison entrance. I can't seem to fix the robot, which I assume you need to bypass the big rear end turrets somehow. I left the map and wandered some more, until I met a bunch of robots at the Radio Tower, but they dropped only stuff flagged as junk. I feel dumb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hm. I'm kind of a slacker backer; I didn't join in on the kickstarter, but I did buy a tier before the beta released. Am I out of consideration for the backer skill? Because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Wait, there it is. Now I'm feel like hurrying up to get to the point I can use it!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So in the Ag Center after finishing Highpool, I mistakenly got goo'd on by one of those exploding plants and my entire party has the status effect that they've got those zombie spores on them. There's a very long countdown timer, but other than that I don't see any practical negative effect to it. Does the effect expire at the end of the countdown timer, or is that how long I have before my entire party dies and becomes fungus zombies?

Basically I'm wondering if I should use 5 of my 10 charges of fungicide fluid now, or save them to use on stopping the infection from spreading in any towns that pop up?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drone posted:

So in the Ag Center after finishing Highpool, I mistakenly got goo'd on by one of those exploding plants and my entire party has the status effect that they've got those zombie spores on them. There's a very long countdown timer, but other than that I don't see any practical negative effect to it. Does the effect expire at the end of the countdown timer, or is that how long I have before my entire party dies and becomes fungus zombies?

Basically I'm wondering if I should use 5 of my 10 charges of fungicide fluid now, or save them to use on stopping the infection from spreading in any towns that pop up?

Earlier someone mentioned that you can pour the cure in the water and pump it through the ventilation center, which will cure you. I haven't gotten to that point so I don't know.

Is there a pause function outside of combat being turn based? Sometimes I want to issue commands to my whole team before starting a fight, but it's kind of awkward because I can only give one order at a time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Furism posted:

Prison entrance. I can't seem to fix the robot, which I assume you need to bypass the big rear end turrets somehow. I left the map and wandered some more, until I met a bunch of robots at the Radio Tower, but they dropped only stuff flagged as junk. I feel dumb.

You will find the needed part later in Damonta, the tracks are a random drop from the robots there
You only need one btw.

Anyone found what these items are for:
Slice of Toast, Contact Lenses ? (non-junk toaster loot)
The wrist slingshot+marbles are for the kids in Highpool instead of cigarettes, for a cooler outcome
The can of spraypaint is for the guy cleaning graffiti outside ranger citidel

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 21, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Verviticus posted:

random encounters dont make much sense to me. 15 exp for killing bugs, fine. giant rabbits which are just unmitigated piles of bullshit are 20 xp. random encounter 12 health bandits that can drop guns as loot? 25 exp :confused:

The game is telling you to not try to grind them and move on to the actual story. Slap a few points into outdoorsman and ignore them forever.

I'd say that this is a direct hold-over from WL1, where world map encounters were just health-sinks with no redeeming qualities. At least now, you get some odd loot and the aforementioned use of an otherwise questionable skill.

There are a few instances where you might want to get through an alarm and a lock before someone comes back and spots you, just so you can spread your guys out a bit and not be such an obvious grenade target. But sure, some of that is (was) lost when they decided to not have stealth in the game — most of the time, you can just snipe the guy and have them all come pour into your field of fire anwyay.

Oh, and yes, on the topic of Luck and die rolls, I haven't done any proper side-by-side testing so it's only slightly above anecdotal, but just for fun, I did a shooty section my Famas AR guy over, once with him at Luck 1, and once with Luck 10. The former saw a couple of jams, the latter saw none. It makes sense, since Luck was that kind of a mysterious stat in both WL1 and the Fallout 1–2 — it's that added modifier to everything. In WL1, high luck would not just increase crit chances, but also reduce the odds of bad outcomes of all kinds, whereas low luck did the opposite. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kept going with that mechanic and that the numbers you see, the ±% on critical hit and the jam percentages, for instance, do not fully reflect what the equipment will do when handled by any given character.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 21, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have tried my hardest not to read this thread because I don't want spoilers, but I also don't want to gently caress up my game and discover I need to start over.

Thus:

A few months ago, I downloaded the beta but didn't do anything other than gently caress around in character creation.
When I connected to Steam just now, it started downloading a massive Wasteland 2 update.

Is this a patch for the beta, or am I getting the whole game? In other words, do I need to do anything more with Ranger Center or anything like that, or will I have the game in its entirety after a few hours?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You got the whole game, ranger.

Check in with the Ranger station anyway for your custom backer portraits and backer skill keyword.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It makes me sad when I get given a big character bio box, because I spent like an hour and a half building my characters and giving them bios which I know will never mean anything. Nobody will ever know Duke, Six Deep, Sherri Silver or Mac Force, what their real full names are or their motivations. Yet I spend so much time making them.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 21, 2014

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Fleve posted:

Also, if anyone can come up with a good enough fourth portrait, making these would not have been in vain.

You need Charles Bronson.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

You need Charles Bronson.

Or Gian Maria Volonté as “The Even Less Sane One”.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

sauer kraut posted:

You will find the needed part later in Damonta, the tracks are a random drop from the robots there
You only need one btw.

Riiiight. So I just need to reach Damonta first and then come back? Gotcha. I was convinced the game wanted me to finish the Prison first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does this game have a rest function like Baldur's Gate? I'm wasting so many medpacks after each fight just patching myself up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can someone comment on the following weapon selection?

* Point man: assault rifle, (maybe) bladed weaponry.
* Heavy weapons, backup pistol
* Sniper, backup pistol.
* Energy Weapons, backup smg.

I've heard that shotguns are kinda unreliable hence their absence.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just got to the Citadel and I'm looking at the supplies for sale fromBowling, and these weapons seem too good to be true. There's got to be a catch, right?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

double nine posted:

* Sniper, backup pistol.

If by Point man you mean someone leading the charge and close to enemies, AR's may not be ideal for you. So far my AR users get unnerved when enemies are too close. I don't know how well shotguns do, but I've heard bladed weapons aren't very useful. I can't speak high praises for blunt melee either; in beta my blunt melee guy was my favorite unit and now he's my most useless unit in combat. Maybe consider swapping the AR on your point with the SMG on your Energy weapons unit?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Shotguns can be pretty good, at least early on. Chokes can modify the spread and free aim makes hitting only the guys you want pretty easy. I like the Mississippi Mule. They might make a fair alternative for one of your pistol guys since they have overlapping utility against unarmored targets: Heavy weapons are pretty expensive to use and it may take a while to get good one, so that guy might use one. Your Sniper might like one for when something gets close enough to cause interference--Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles see their accuracy even against ranged targets drop like a stone if an enemy is too close because of Pressure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I just got to the Citadel and I'm looking at the supplies for sale fromBowling, and these weapons seem too good to be true. There's got to be a catch, right?

There is. Look closer at the 95% stat and what it measures…
You might want to buy them anyway and strip them for parts, but I accidentally made him run off before I got to see if they are useful for that purpose

double nine posted:

* Sniper, backup pistol.

Shotguns are fine. In fact, if you're going in first, they're probably better than an AR since they don't have a minimum range. I didn't really think ahead that far, so I put shotguns + energy on my leadership character and had her act as “clean-up” for anything that got too close. Depending on how the Energy tree progresses, she might even start becoming useful at slightly longer ranges soon as well.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tippis posted:

There is. Look closer at the 95% stat and what it measures…
You might want to buy them anyway and strip them for parts, but I accidentally made him run off before I got to see if they are useful for that purpose

I took the letter for his sister and ended the conversation without buying anything and now I can't talk to him anymore. What is the 95% stat measuring?

• Locked thread