Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've accumulated several mods over the years (god, that sounds depressing) all of which have a number of guns, so I'll scour their meshes/configs to see if it is there, and if it doesn't look terrible (a lot of weapons sadly do) then I'll definitely include it

e: for reference, quite a few of the weapon models come from Lost World Origins which has pretty loving cool pistol and assault rifle animations, including stuff like folding out the stocks of the G36 etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSNhnFN4gw

Pretty much all of the pistols I'm using have come from here. Including the very sexy OTs-33 which is a beast of a handgun.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
An FN FAL? I've been using that a lot in Misery, it's pretty satisfying.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There is indeed an FN FAL.

This is the list of one particular mod I've got that is seemingly entirely focused on weapons.

http://pastebin.com/QC6mhgmC

Can't verify the quality of a lot of them! A vast majority seem to be from the Arsenal mod, though, which are generally quite good. a few of them may be included in LURK, in which case I'd use the models from there since they pretty much reworked all of the guns they've included to use Kingfriday's animations and such.

I really, really want to unpack the all.spawn but every attempt I've made so far hasn't panned out very well. The latest version of the universal acdc doesn't seem to want to work for me. Sucks... as I want to add a few fluff npcs and such, like the guy who rescues you from the death truck as Sid's guard, like he always has been (in my mind)

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 18, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

There is indeed an FN FAL.

This is the list of one particular mod I've got that is seemingly entirely focused on weapons.

http://pastebin.com/QC6mhgmC

Oh my god :swoon:

I'd be down for any old-rear end weapons, so like the arisaka, C96, m1903, and m1918.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I fear this addon is going to be quite... large, to say the least.

I've contemplated including the "Customization Pack", which is basically a huge amount of new stalker models that have had face swaps, and better icons, so you're not likely to see exactly the same stalker twice (they may be wearing the same uniform, but they'll have different faces, and in many cases different voices - including the Ukrainian versions of the character voice that very few mods include) and things generally look a bit more higher quality.

The largest part of this is the sounds, which include Ukrainian versions of the human_01/02/03/04 character voice sets. Seems kind of weird that the Zone is in Ukraine but you never actually hear any Ukrainian spoken.

For reference, here are the icons for the 'Zombied' stalkers. Compare those to the ones in Default SoC/LA and you can see they're of a much higher quality. More varied, too:

http://imgur.com/b2EfqBu
http://imgur.com/OUFBbpF

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 18, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Are there any mods for a 7.62 Nagant revolver floating about in the Zone?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Russian mods are such a weird gamut of quality. Animations and faces look horrible in that mod, but the same maps from Lost Alpha don't look as nice as they do in this video.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, they can fluctuate wildly. It seems that most Russian modders don't particularly care, though. At least they don't seem to be as anally retentive about it as I am :v:

e: It appears that it may be easier to get the scripting to work for the random loadout to work than I thought.. the config is going to require a bit of work, though.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 18, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Can you mess with the Nagant model so it doesn't look like your character is holding a broom ?

Also speaking of atmosphere does anyone remember that early video (now obviously premade) where A dev was showing off the alpha or whatever and it was dawn/dusk (who knows in the zone, either way the sun was on the horizon. The reason why I bring this up is because the entire video the zone was bathed in this golden light that had a slightly green hue to it. Essentially that was what I imagined a "pretty" day in the zone would be like. The dev in the video was using an FN2000 (maybe OICW at the time) if that's any help.

So far I have yet to see that surprisingly nice weather, probably enhanced by how hosed up the atmosphere of the zone is.

Can you add that gun (the OICW) to lost alpha? I really really really want that gun, especially in the zone. Even though it's probably the worst gun for the zone EVER. Well functionally it's the best probably because of the airburst grenades and such, but practically... Where the hell to even begin.

If you wanted to be the best modder ever you might be able to make the airburst grenade launcher both a separate weapon AND attachable to the assault rifle portion of the weapon system and vice versa.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 18, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I dunno how possible it is, but could you get some SMGs and short barrel shotguns in as secondary slot weapons? I remember loving a P90 in the secondary slot with some SoC mod a long time ago and a few other mods have had short-barrel 870 or Toz-34s as secondaries. I would like to see a Five-seveN as well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now the OTs-33 and TMP are secondary weapons. Both are pretty much smgs (the OTs-33 in particular is a beast, even if it is technically a handgun)

It may be possible to put a few of the shorter shotguns, like the BM16/TOZ as secondaries. I'll give it a try, seeing as how this random loadout script looks like it may not be working after all :(

e: It's also worth noting that Lost Alpha is not actually complete yet. There's a few scripts in game that have been disabled, presumably because they're not working, so it looks as if they were going to add more stuff before the game was leaked early. The emissions in particular were going to be different.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
A five/seven round itself would have incredible potential. Sure it has absolutely no stopping power at all, but it can go straight through a ballistic helmet with ease. Not to mention the potential for causing a major bleed. Effective against squishy things wearing armor. Useless against mutants (a boost to snorks would be cool).

The MP7 would probably be the ultimate sidearm. I know it doesn't shoot 5/7 rounds but it really is an all in one weapon.

The best part would be the draw animation, unfolding the foregrip and stock... it looks sexy just picturing it.

and modular OICW. Or at least an OICW with 20mm airbursters.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 18, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've found an OICW mesh. Making the BM16/TOZ into sidearms is technically possible.. but it will crash the game without a new icon. Side arms in lost alpha require an icon that is 2 'squares' wide. The BM16/TOZ are 3. So the only option is to have them as regular weapons, make them sidearms and have a stubby icon... or create a new 'smaller' icon. The third option is a slight pain in the rear end as I hate working with DDS files in photoshop. Alpha channels in particular are a pain in the rear end.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Do you think it would be possible to change the models and animations of your guns through the modding system?

I'd think it would just create a whole new gun altogether, apply whatever else mods you had on the old gun while doing away with it. For example, making an MP7 coming normally with no foregrip or stock. But you can ask a mechanic to put either or both on. Thus changing the model and animations.

I already know it sounds like a lot of really hard work (I know what coding is like, not to mention redoing models and animations), but you gotta admit it would be loving awesome. Already mods don't really change the appearance of a gun, at least from what i've seen.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have literally no experience with modelling at all, so I'm not the person to ask. Basically lost alpha's "upgrade" system basically creates a new instance of a weapon when you 'upgrade' it that uses the base weapon stats but changes a few factors. So, the "wpn_bm16" section would become something different, but the "wpn_bm16" would still be the parent so it would inherit all the bm16's stats but override them with the new ones it has set.

So you could feasibly, if you have two mp7 models (one without a stock, one with) you could have the base version without the stock, but the upgraded version with the stock would use an entirely different model.

It's definitely possible in Lost Alpha, but without two models that are similar apart from that difference (added stock) it wouldn't look great.

Just to give you an example, here's the Abakan's first upgrade path:

code:
[wpn_abakan_upg_base]:wpn_abakan
inv_grid_x = 10
inv_grid_y = 28
icon = ui_inGame2_upgrade_weapon_AS96_2

;--=========================================================================--
;                                 A Sections
;--=========================================================================--
; Recoil
[abk_upg_a0]:wpn_abakan_upg_base
upg_name                         = st_up_auto_a1_name
upg_descr                        = st_up_auto_a1_descr
upg_icon                         = ui_inGame2_upgrade_AS96_2_1
upg_cost                         = 2000
cost                             = 2875
cam_dispersion                   = 0.12
cam_dispersion_inc         	 = 0.2
cam_step_angle_horz              = 0.7
As you can see, the abk_upg_a0 section is the 'upgraded' abakan, and if you follow the parents back it goes all the way back to the abakan itself ("wpn_abakan")

If you were to change the abk_upg_a0 section to something like this:

code:
[abk_upg_a0]:wpn_abakan_upg_base
upg_name                         = st_up_auto_a1_name
upg_descr                        = st_up_auto_a1_descr
upg_icon                         = ui_inGame2_upgrade_AS96_2_1
upg_cost                         = 2000
cost                             = 2875
cam_dispersion                   = 0.12
cam_dispersion_inc         	 = 0.2
cam_step_angle_horz              = 0.7
hud				 = w_binoc_hud
It should, in theory, make the upgraded Abakan use the binocular's first person model. So your abakan would transform into a pair of binoculars (visually) :v:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I would love a PPD-40 or a PPS-43 as sidearms in LA, and I've seen them in-game. Can't for the life of me remember in what mod though, was it old OGSE? Oh, to have a Sa.24 or 25 in-Zone(Uzi! PM-63!) would be so sweet.

As to get different but similar models; if the one model works in game, and its possible to get it in and out of maya or blender or what-evs, making a variation on it is down right trivial. Hell even I know enough to do that!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I figured you're coding, not animating and definitely not modeling. My coding skills are weak and I have no experience with visuals at all besides sprite art (I am drat good at it though). Otherwise I'd totally help.

What about a weapon that could change from a sidearm to a primary weapon simply by right clicking the weapon in inventory and selecting what "mode" you'd have the gun in. Also change which slot it occupies, boost the stats and change the model/draw animation. Another "idea guy" sort of thing... I'm really reconsidering dropping coding/developing video games.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's practically impossible at the moment without access to the source code. Right click functions are hardcoded into the engine. I believe lost alpha includes a 'keylogger' function that I can't quite seem to get to work right now which supposedly allows you to make custom key bindings, so it may be possible to make something like that with a custom keybinding and some ingenious scripting.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Horns posted:

I don't think that's odd at all. Or maybe we're both odd. ;)

I'd kill for a STALKER game that was more of a happy medium between Roadside Picnic and the '79 film. Less straight up gunfights, more weirdness, solitary exploration, creeping dread and big open places to poke around; where every encounter with another living human is an extremely rare and life-or-death event (sort of like what the encounters in I Am Alive tried to be).

Same. I absolutely love the book and the atmosphere Tarkovsky created in the film. Having a village on the outside of the Zone's borders like a mission hub might be cool, and some added pressure of having to fend for your family with what you can scavenge from the Zone. Almost no gun-fights and few mutants, letting the Zone itself be the main threat. Journeying into the Zone would be a real event, that you'd have to plan for and research from info gleaned from other stalkers. The real trick would be making it varied and fun to play whilst keeping that fantastic feeling of mystery and immersion. I don't really trust any amateur modders to do that concept justice though, without turning it into some cheesy pedestrian fan-fic.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I think that would work if the hardest part of the game would be to actually enter the zone. Once you're past the military everything else can happen.

But it would be cool if the zone was constantly sizing you up and reacting to you in actual direct ways (instead of saying you're good/bad/grey in the end...). As if you're a cosmic plaything in the Zone's game. Piss the zone off and reap what you sow. Make it happy and an opponent's head may explode out of nowhere....

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 19, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

baromodo posted:

Same. I absolutely love the book and the atmosphere Tarkovsky created in the film. Having a village on the outside of the Zone's borders like a mission hub might be cool, and some added pressure of having to fend for your family with what you can scavenge from the Zone. Almost no gun-fights and few mutants, letting the Zone itself be the main threat. Journeying into the Zone would be a real event, that you'd have to plan for and research from info gleaned from other stalkers. The real trick would be making it varied and fun to play whilst keeping that fantastic feeling of mystery and immersion. I don't really trust any amateur modders to do that concept justice though, without turning it into some cheesy pedestrian fan-fic.

Something I can't get used to coming from CoP/Misery to SoC/Lost Alpha is how artifacts are just littering the ground waiting for you to pick them up. No need to grab a detector or put on a suit or anything.

Is there a repair/upgrade guy aside from Fox anywhere in Lost Alpha, or am I gonna have to trek all the way back from the Bar (gently caress finding that place by the way) to Starting Village?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Petrenko in the back room can repair/fix stuff.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems that the lua file here is set to private?

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

GOG.com has all three STALKER games at reduced prices:

http://www.gog.com/promo/pew_pew_promo_190914

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I'm sort of thinking of ideas of how you can not become a zombie anymore once you become one... since there's military guarding Sakharov to keep zombied types like you out, so I figured some sort of artifact would be neat. I'm thinking you wear it on your belt, and it will slowly turn you back to normal, and become completely ruined while doing so.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
All of a sudden I got an image of a Zone VooDoo doctor who you have to jump through a warp like the cordon train tracks tunnel but that sounds like a lot of work. An artifact probably electrical type that zaps your brain and rewires you to be normal sounds like a decent plan.

Another Hunting and/or long range shotgun like the ToZ would be a nice addition as well, I love being able to put slugs into dudes at a distance but the ToZ with its 2 shells just has firepower problems and the shotguns with bigger magazines get very wobbly at range.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Killing other Stalkers lets you eat their brains and regain some of your humanity. Enough of them and you're back to human. That's why all the other zombies want to kill you when you're human. I mean, if you're going to call yourself a zombie, you might as well live it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Why would zombies want dead brains? Or ones blown out of a skull.

It's scarier that they're simply in a constant aggressive state, with some vague recollection of only violent behaviors. Especially when they have guns...

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 20, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right, so here's my current solution for the Zombie problem:

A new artifact called 'Stalker's Remorse'. It generally has negative effects... constantly emits radiation, makes you more vulnerable to everything in general and may have more scripted effects. Wearing it on your belt will trigger a timer that runs constantly, that checks periodically (every couple of hours/once a day maybe?) and if it passes a random check, will add to a counter. When that counter reaches the threshold, you will go unconscious and wake up not as a zombie anymore. The artifact itself is 'ruined'.

Right now you can get the Stalker's Remorse via transmutation. It requires a Liver, a Bloodsucker's tentacle and zombie hand.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

or am I gonna have to trek all the way back from the Bar (gently caress finding that place by the way)

Hahahaha, so true. I read a little preview of Lost Alpha and laughed at the reviewer who said he couldn't find the Bar. Then I tried at nightfall and got really, really lost. And very nearly dead. Dogs and anomalies everywhere, no Bar in sight!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Seems kind of weird that you have to go all the way around the area to get to the main entrance. I guess it's for security, but in the stalker world you think some enterprising soul would put some way to sneak in easily, if only for convenience sake. Still can't get the universal acdc to work so I can't unpack the all spawn yet, but I'm kind of thinking of putting a little box or something so you can get in the bar easily if you want to.

Also implementing the customization pack. The biggest problem I find so far is that the 'biography' section you can see in ranking/contacts does not use the correct level specific ones since I've implemented in a way that makes things easier, so you get the slight trade off of a tiny amount of flavor text missing but get vastly improved visuals from having stalkers that look/sound different, but still recognizable.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Seems kind of weird that you have to go all the way around the area to get to the main entrance. I guess it's for security, but in the stalker world you think some enterprising soul would put some way to sneak in easily, if only for convenience sake. Still can't get the universal acdc to work so I can't unpack the all spawn yet, but I'm kind of thinking of putting a little box or something so you can get in the bar easily if you want to.

The VIP entrance is right at the front, if you've hosed around the Arena enough.

Still doesn't make sense, even with the reasoning "We want to keep the riffraff out"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Thinking of adding a special teleport anomaly into the back room, like in OGSE. Maybe disguise it as a regular anomaly, and you get info from Snitch about its location.

e: Also, for what it's worth, there were people who were wanting a more 'roadside picnic' experience from Stalker. There's this mod:

http://ap-pro.ru/forum/35-10070-1

It's called 'F.O.T.O.G.R.A.F." and it's basically the story of a researcher sent into the Zone to examine various phenomena. You have a camera to take pictures of the Zone etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vie2urVMi48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdClS3t7yLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJjvTSrrRk

Haven't actually tried it myself, but like most things you can get a very terrible machine translation from the gsc forums.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 20, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Figured some people would be interested in these:

Lost Alpha design documents: https://yadi.sk/d/8OLUVPpfbaVsw

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Is there any special trick to installing the Faction Wars mod for Clear Sky? Like, can someone tell me how they do it because I did it on my GOG copy and got an "entry point not found" error. Googling it gave me gently caress-all in terms of useful information.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Figured some people would be interested in these:

Lost Alpha design documents: https://yadi.sk/d/8OLUVPpfbaVsw

I hope those were released on purpose :/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

I hope those were released on purpose :/

The Moddeding

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I found them on ap-pro, in the forum thread I believe there's at least one person on the dev team who commented there and he wasn't throwing an apoplectic fit, so I assume it's kosher. I'd be happy to remove the link if it turns out they have been leaked, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that yet.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Crosspostin' from the Weird Fanart Thread:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did you know that Roadside Picnic is implied to take place in Canada? It's true!

Also, there is a ton of fanart based on the last scene of the book on tumblr so I won't post those here.

second quote is from this:
http://kopfstoff.blogspot.com/2013/12/thesis-roadside-picnic-sci-fi-graphic.html

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The first bunch is by a guy called Lukasz Pazera. He's done a few of them, including animals.

http://lukpazera.blogspot.co.uk/

http://postcardsfromthezone.com/

I tried to get in contact with him about using his 'Postcards from the Zone' but he never got back to me :(