Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also clocks are round. Like, everywhere. Round clocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Also clocks are round. Like, everywhere. Round clocks.

Imagine four clocks on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the clock nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of clocks and takes the place of the first clock. The formerly first clock becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Android Wear works the same way.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
In a few years Apple will revolutionize the smart watch with the first os truly optimized for a circular display.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they don't call it the Apple Pi I will be so angry.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Preordered a Moto Hint, because I am an idiot who hates money and inexplicably loves the idea of a Bluetooth earbud.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A smartwatch walks into a bar

Why the round face?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

If they don't call it the Apple Pi I will be so angry.

Pi-Napple

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Although I'm fully android for my phone and will not be switching back, I usually think apple has the better design choices. I honestly think the moto 360 is the best designed watch out there when it comes to the realistic watch faces you can put on it and the apple watch looks like complete garbage. The os looks hideous too

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone wants my moto360, it's up in SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665597

I got it, but turns out that I need to spend a lot more on new baby furniture than I thought, so I need the cash instead of the watch. It's going back to Best Buy if no one wants it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Although I'm fully android for my phone and will not be switching back, I usually think apple has the better design choices. I honestly think the moto 360 is the best designed watch out there when it comes to the realistic watch faces you can put on it and the apple watch looks like complete garbage. The os looks hideous too

Something about the Apple watch reminds me of the watches you can get in those vending machines where everything's in a ball. It feels like they started from 'square screen' and then made design choices based on trying to add roundness where they could, it looks sort of weird and tacky. But functionally a square is better for the things we typically use screens for - every part of it is equally useful, whereas on a round watch you have to use the middle area for something like more than a minimal amount of text.

It'll be interesting to see how much Apple influences things though, they might set a trend - in smartwatches anyway. Also it's kinda funny in a way, if you look at old 50s and 60s sci-fi they tended to make all the video screens round, including little video watches people would talk to. The aesthetic was always cute and quaint compared to the functional designs we actually ended up with - but now the watches are here, and they're circular!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like the retro modern design of the 360 and moto x (leather/wood). If it brings us close to a Her aesthetic in our tech, I'm all for it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
So my G Watch is on it's way, after arguing with AT&T for two hours on a insane billing issue keeping me from adding a tablet because AT&T wireline said I owed them money that I didn't owe I ended up with a $166.19 credit on my wireless account, the invalid AT&T wireline charges removed, an LG G watch for $114.50 billed to my account, free 2 day shipping and I still have $70 on my AT&T promo card for the $200 they gave me for my iPhone 4 after paying my bill.

It's been a good week for me with AT&T.

It looks like the LG G watch on Awful Mart went like lightning with several backups for $100 used no packaging so for anyone that has used a Moto 360 and a G Watch do I parlay my free G Watch into a $150 Moto 360 whenever I can get one? $179.99/$249.99 seems more like a toss up than free/$149.99. I'm happy with my regular Pebble now appearance wise with a replacement strap, any reason I would be less happy with an G Watch besides battery?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

So my G Watch is on it's way, after arguing with AT&T for two hours on a insane billing issue keeping me from adding a tablet because AT&T wireline said I owed them money that I didn't owe I ended up with a $166.19 credit on my wireless account, the invalid AT&T wireline charges removed, an LG G watch for $114.50 billed to my account, free 2 day shipping and I still have $70 on my AT&T promo card for the $200 they gave me for my iPhone 4 after paying my bill.

It's been a good week for me with AT&T.

It looks like the LG G watch on Awful Mart went like lightning with several backups for $100 used no packaging so for anyone that has used a Moto 360 and a G Watch do I parlay my free G Watch into a $150 Moto 360 whenever I can get one? $179.99/$249.99 seems more like a toss up than free/$149.99. I'm happy with my regular Pebble now appearance wise with a replacement strap, any reason I would be less happy with an G Watch besides battery?

To get a Moto360 for cheap, go to a post office and get their change of address packet. It has a 10% off Best Buy coupon it that works for the Moto360. You get about 25 bucks off, plus you have to have a rich people credit card, my Chase Sapphire Preferred gives me an additional 4% cashback on it, so that's ten more dollars.

Add to that whatever BestBuy rewards you have from buying all those switches to setup your Condo wifi reseller thing, and I'm sure you can sneak it under $200.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Don't forget you only get 15 days for the inevitable return unless you are elite.

I would wait for more people to follow sony and use transflective displays. A transflective display would mean they could pretty much turn the backlight off completely in sunlight and save massive battery.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Is there an Android Wear SMS app that would allow me to send canned responses via my watch? At work we use text messages a lot, but I'm frequently in a position where responding via voice is not an option. Being able to just reply "OK" from my watch would change my life forever.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Argyle posted:

Is there an Android Wear SMS app that would allow me to send canned responses via my watch? At work we use text messages a lot, but I'm frequently in a position where responding via voice is not an option. Being able to just reply "OK" from my watch would change my life forever.

You can already do that. When it's asking you to speak, swipe up, there is a good sized list of quick responses.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

ninmeister posted:

You can already do that. When it's asking you to speak, swipe up, there is a good sized list of quick responses.

I am a moron and did not know that feature existed. Thanks!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Hangouts Dialer doesn't work with Android Wear, won't even show incoming calls

:bravo:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My 360 is getting returned. No major issues, and battery is fine for me, I just don't love it and have better things to spend the $250 on. It would be the full $250 and I'll cover shipping (which is what Id get for the return). The watch itself is pristine. Is it worth throwing up an s-mart thread?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ilkhan posted:

My 360 is getting returned. No major issues, and battery is fine for me, I just don't love it and have better things to spend the $250 on. It would be the full $250 and I'll cover shipping (which is what Id get for the return). The watch itself is pristine. Is it worth throwing up an s-mart thread?

Do you accept best buy movers guide coupons?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I was going to spend extra cash buying one because they're not in Canada yet. I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

See this is where I stand right now, I'm sold on the idea of a smart watch, I love my Pebble, it just feels like there are so many compromises on wear right now that as nice as the 360 is I would rather be trying it cheap and investing more money when it isn't so gimped in hardware and software.

I think I'm willing to be a lot more forgiving towards the platform for $115 than $250.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I was going to spend extra cash buying one because they're not in Canada yet. I'd gladly take it off your hands.
Sorry, already shipped back to google.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/19/the-moto-360-display-may-have-a-problem-with-image-persistence-from-the-charging-screen/

There has to be a very interesting story as to why the Moto 360 has been simultaneously one of the most interesting and appealing pieces of bleeding edge personal technology and an inexplicable trainwreck.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wonder if being bought by a Chinese company is the reason why the internals are so lovely. The screen/processor decisions are baffling.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I wonder if being bought by a Chinese company is the reason why the internals are so lovely. The screen/processor decisions are baffling.

It sounds like the deal still hasn't closed and the 360 would've been in the pipeline before the buyout was even announced.

Motorola just wanted to get this into the market as quickly as they could and that included cutting corners on actually building it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I mean at this point all Motorola has to do is put an OLED display and a Snapdragon chip in the Moto 360 and you get to blame anything lovely on Google's platform.

I don't understand why they turned something so interesting into crippled poo poo, let's forget the apparently lovely LCD for a second, if they just spent what a few dollars more per chip they could have been using a faster processor that at the same time has better battery life? Strip the useless heart rate sensor and QI charging to cut costs, don't cut corners on the stuff makes it even functional in the first place.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I mean at this point all Motorola has to do is put an OLED display and a Snapdragon chip in the Moto 360 and you get to blame anything lovely on Google's platform.

I don't understand why they turned something so interesting into crippled poo poo, let's forget the apparently lovely LCD for a second, if they just spent what a few dollars more per chip they could have been using a faster processor that at the same time has better battery life? Strip the useless heart rate sensor and QI charging to cut costs, don't cut corners on the stuff makes it even functional in the first place.

All the moto 360 needs now is MORE burn in

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reverse Centaur posted:

The processor is the same as their older wearable, the MOTOACTIV as well as a Droid from a few years back. They likely had a bunch of them left over since those weren't big sellers. The cost was instead zero.

Also Lenovo does not make garbage hardware. They are one of the only Windows OEMs making money on hardware. Their Thinkpad line is synonymous with business and their hardware is very tough, modular, and rugged. (The new x230 is a weird departure but that's a relatively new development). That said the 360 probably had nothing to do with Lenovo and was probably hardware locked well before the buyout.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every generation of Thinkpad has been worse since Lenovo took over.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Every generation of Thinkpad has been worse since Lenovo took over.
This is true. They took a brand that lived on durability and unwillingness to compromise and consumerized it by doing just those things.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ilkhan posted:

This is true. They took a brand that lived on durability and unwillingness to compromise and consumerized it by doing just those things.

They didn't buy IBM's consumer pc business to continue losing money like ibm.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Three Olives posted:

Strip the useless heart rate sensor and QI charging to cut costs, don't cut corners on the stuff makes it even functional in the first place.

The Qi charging makes good sense and is cheap to do, and the photoplethysmograph is something that I, as a terminal heart patient, use every drat day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the Qi charging of the 360 is a major major selling point for me. If it didn't have it, I would probably me more inclined to wait for a different device. However, Qi basically overcomes most battery life concerns since it's so easy to charge it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would have probably bought the LG were it not for Qi in the 360. I'm firmly in the wireless charging camp after having owned a Nexus 5 for a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I thought the QI charging on the 360 was technically QI but didn't really play well with most QI chargers. If you are using a proprietary dock anyways pogo pins vs induction seems trivial if you are cutting major corners in important places like the processor/display.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

I thought the QI charging on the 360 was technically QI but didn't really play well with most QI chargers. If you are using a proprietary dock anyways pogo pins vs induction seems trivial if you are cutting major corners in important places like the processor/display.

It doesn't work well with a flat Qi charger if you have a metal band on it. It won't sit flat enough to make contact. I have an official nexus charger, and a generic chinese one, and with a leather band it worked fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I could see the metal band being an issue due to fitment on a flat charger. But yes, it is officially Qi standard and will charge with any Qi charger provided that you can position it correctly.

The display thing doesn't worry me at all. We had the same thing pop up with the Nexus 7 as well and it ended up being overblown, only having a few isolated edge cases. I don't consider that 'cutting corners', it's just an artifact that LCDs can suffer from due to manufacturing variance and it's very hard thing to catch with QC since it doesn't manifest itself right away. You could probably pull samples of nearly anything equipped with a screen suffering from something similar. It's only when you have an intersection of something like that happening with someone who's vocal on social media does it pop up in public awareness.

That's what the warranty is for. If your watch does that, exchange it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I could see the metal band being an issue due to fitment on a flat charger. But yes, it is officially Qi standard and will charge with any Qi charger provided that you can position it correctly.

The display thing doesn't worry me at all. We had the same thing pop up with the Nexus 7 as well and it ended up being overblown, only having a few isolated edge cases. I don't consider that 'cutting corners', it's just an artifact that LCDs can suffer from due to manufacturing variance and it's very hard thing to catch with QC since it doesn't manifest itself right away. You could probably pull samples of nearly anything equipped with a screen suffering from something similar. It's only when you have an intersection of something like that happening with someone who's vocal on social media does it pop up in public awareness.

That's what the warranty is for. If your watch does that, exchange it.

It may be that if you leave it on a Qi charger for hours and hours. Mine got very hot on the official charger, so maybe the heat exacerbates it. When I had mine for the week, I'd just turn it off and leave it on my night stand, and put it on the charger when I got up and went into the shower. In the hour it took me to get ready and head out, it'd be completely full.

Also, I had it for a week, and SAMarted it, but all day today I've been looking at my regular watch when I hear my phone chime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My 360 arrived today. Took less than fifteen minutes out of the house to get my first "is that the iWatch?!?!"

Argyle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 24, 2014