Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I loving hate the Gotham Nightmare tree. Half the time when I do a thing it asks, it doesn't count because I didn't do it exactly right. The other half I do a thing it asks, it doesn't count because it's technically not a predator map or some poo poo. I know completing the trees is basically asking to do two playthroughs minimum, but loving hell, I've already finished the Gotham Protector tree and I only just got to the bank. I'm only stuck on the Gotham Knight tree because I didn't have access to critical strikes until JUST NOW, after finishing the Shiva sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

kalonZombie posted:

I loving hate the Gotham Nightmare tree. Half the time when I do a thing it asks, it doesn't count because I didn't do it exactly right. The other half I do a thing it asks, it doesn't count because it's technically not a predator map or some poo poo. I know completing the trees is basically asking to do two playthroughs minimum, but loving hell, I've already finished the Gotham Protector tree and I only just got to the bank. I'm only stuck on the Gotham Knight tree because I didn't have access to critical strikes until JUST NOW, after finishing the Shiva sidequest.

You can do it in one, but it really really REALLY requires a lot of restarting.

Rank 1: Done automatically as a part of the first Enigma tower.

Rank 2: GCPD Roof.

Rank 3: Final Offer Theater.

Rank 4: Outside of the Steel Mill where you head to save Black Mask later.

Rank 5: GCPD Roof.

Rank 6: Gotham Merchant's Bank.

Rank 7: Drug Lab.

Rank 8: Gotham Royal Hotel Lobby.

Rank 9: Gotham Royal Hotel Pool Room.

Rank 10: Church (Black Mask Sidequest)

Rank 11: Outside of the Steel Mill.

Rank 12: Gotham Merchant's Bank (Deadshot).

Rank 13: Final Offer Deck.

Rank 14: Gotham Pioneer's Bridge (Second Predator Area - First Time [Four thugs w/ Hostage Train car]).

Rank 15: Blackgate Nexus.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

You guys didn't tell me that Deathstroke is basically a combination of half of the Metal Gear bosses.

Cool fight.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Cold, Cold Heart review: Disappointing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked Cold, Cold Heart for what it was, but it's not particularly innovative, I'll admit.

The soundtrack is great, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7306oWRxE

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Worth it for the thug banter alone.

Trust you two idiots to start a fire with an ICE GUN. :mad:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It was buggy as poo poo, though it may not have been that way at release. I was having problems where every so often the FPS would drop down to a loving slide show (or it would outright freeze for a moment) then start back up normally again. When this happens in combat, particularly while learning how to dodge those ice beam fuckers, this results in disaster. It was doing it in regular story mode too and it's never done it before so I don't know if something about the DLC was bugging it out or what.

Also wasn't really thrilled with having a new set of Anarky tags to hunt down (still no in game map for them), and the Freeze boss fight was confusing until I realized it was literally just the AC Freeze fight all over again, just with thugs added in.

And then over the credits, Mayor Hill quit and I guess that had something to do with Nigma (because somebody told me it did) but I don't know what because I don't remember any information Nigma had on Hill.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You guys didn't tell me that Deathstroke is basically a combination of half of the Metal Gear bosses.

Cool fight.

Experiences tend to divide on that fight depending on whether or not they fail, especially at the final hostage situation(which isn't very well placed or coded), and realize that the entire thing must be done in one checkpoint. Bonus frustration if you're trying to clear the predator challenges at the same time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Experiences tend to divide on that fight depending on whether or not they fail, especially at the final hostage situation(which isn't very well placed or coded), and realize that the entire thing must be done in one checkpoint. Bonus frustration if you're trying to clear the predator challenges at the same time.

You're talking about Deadshot, not Deathstroke.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh, my bad- I saw metal gear and read "Stealth boss"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I liked Cold, Cold Heart for what it was, but it's not particularly innovative, I'll admit.

The soundtrack is great, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7306oWRxE

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially liked all the "Bruce Wayne" stuff you did at the beginning, because it forced you to be clever and not rely on gadgets, and it made it that much more satisfying when you suited up. The story was basically just copied from TAS, but that was such a good story that I'm not complaining. I was a little annoyed that the two predator maps were just recolors of the Museum and Freeze's Lab from AC.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The boss fight against Freeze was a nice twist on a stealth boss. Not as good as the original Freeze from City, but still passable. Way, way, WAY better than those really loving awful Two-Face and Harley Quinn stealth fights.

Also, finished up all the trees except Gotham Nightmare. I keep loving trying to get set 6 (the four unique takedowns one) but for some reason I can't seem to ever get it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's because the only place you can do #6 is the Gotham Bank, which only has two predator segments for the whole game. :shepicide:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's because the only place you can do #6 is the Gotham Bank, which only has two predator segments for the whole game. :shepicide:

Yeah, and I swear I did it on the return trip with Deadshot, but I didn't get the credit for it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's this poo poo that made me shelve the game and never pick it up again.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's this poo poo that made me shelve the game and never pick it up again.

Also don't forget that certain districts only have crime at certain points in the game! Want to finish Gotham Knight but don't get set 15 until after the hotel? gently caress you, do it in New Game +.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You can actually glitch an enemy to register as being on the Pioneer Bridge and complete that Rank 15 without New Game Plus, fortunately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think you're guaranteed to get a crime on the Bridge near the start of the story too, so it's not too bad to get on NG+.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Origins is my favourite game and I'm quite enjoying Blackgate. wtf brain, you're just trying to get me alienated now aren't you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Origins is my favourite game

Nah, it's fine, Origins was a good game, it just wasn't -

poptart_fairy posted:

and I'm quite enjoying Blackgate

Errrr. Hey uh, are you okay? I got you this nice white jacket, don't worry about the strappy bits, you know fashion these days is so weird. You wanna try it on? It's really cozy. I'm just concerned about you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My views on origins are being confirmed, though not in the way I'd anticipated, or desired. Get better soon, poptart_fairy. :ohdear:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 21, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Origins is my favourite game and I'm quite enjoying Blackgate. wtf brain, you're just trying to get me alienated now aren't you.

Blackgate? All I did was run down the same corridor lost 20 times, only to then run down it again 10 times as part of the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I quit on Origins Blackgate before I got to Bronze Tiger. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I stand by my four pound Bat-purchase. :colbert:

But I dunno, I guess I find it kind of cute. Batman's trying so hard to be all gruff and tough and badass and awww, look at his widdle 2.5D animations and flat cape texture.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

My views on origins are being confirmed, though not in the way I'd anticipated, or desired. Get better soon, poptart_fairy. :ohdear:

lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So anyway, one of the most common complaints I've seen about Origins is that Black Mask is 'wasted' or 'done wrong'. Speaking as someone who doesn't know the comics, what is there to Mask that isn't in the game? During my (admittedly fairly brief) reading up on the guy he didn't seem to come across as much more than a criminal boss who was used as a scapegoat by his family, so murdered them and wore a mask made out of their coffin. That's...odd but doesn't strike me anything substantial and worth getting irritated by.

Bane in Batman and Robin, however... :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I guess it's since Arkham City promised Hugo Strange a major role and then snatched it away from him, and the same thing happened to Black Mask.

I was mostly annoyed by it, since I thought we'd see a shift in the power structure from "Gotham controlled by the mob" to "The rise of the Supervillains". But since Joker was pulling the strings the whole time, there's not really any shift.

There's also the fact that Black Mask is really hosed up when it comes to torture. Warden Joseph getting his eye burnt out with a cigarette by Joker (I'm assuming it was him) was pretty light compared to what he does in the comics.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

People are basically mad that Black Mask was actually Joker in disguise the whole time. Other then that he seems fairly accurate to what I've seen of the character.

Spoiled because I don't know how far into Origins you are.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So anyway, one of the most common complaints I've seen about Origins is that Black Mask is 'wasted' or 'done wrong'. Speaking as someone who doesn't know the comics, what is there to Mask that isn't in the game? During my (admittedly fairly brief) reading up on the guy he didn't seem to come across as much more than a criminal boss who was used as a scapegoat by his family, so murdered them and wore a mask made out of their coffin. That's...odd but doesn't strike me anything substantial and worth getting irritated by.

I haven't got very far, but everything about the game feels "off". The combat timing is different. The collectables are actually stupid hidden GTA poo poo with no map. Some of the set pieces are cool, however.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK cool, fair enough. I've completed the game (several times!) so I must have been misunderstanding what the complaints about Black Mask actually were; that specific reason makes a hell of a lot more sense then and I can't say I disagree with it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The collectables are actually stupid hidden GTA poo poo with no map.

Only the Anarky tags and the Cyrus Pinkney journal pages. Everything else you can beat up a dude who works for the Riddler Enigma for.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kalonZombie posted:

Only the Anarky tags and the Cyrus Pinkney journal pages. Everything else you can beat up a dude who works for the Riddler Enigma for.

Yeah I know there's other stuff that's similar to how the old way was, but I don't care. There's still stupid GTA style poo poo in there.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Black Mask is a phenomenally uninteresting character separated from your average gangster only by how much he loooooooves torture. Boy howdy he does love him some torture. Tons of it, all the time. Really gutwrenching disgusting stuff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To continue on from what Cuwi said

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Black Mask has kind of never been a very good character. He's either terribly dull or ~tortureman~ and neither is particularly interesting. (Nor does Arkham anything really need graphic violent depictions of torture.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Okay so I've been playing through Arkham Origins after it went on sale recently too, and here are some thoughts so far:

1. Story's actually pretty good so far, its got, you know, stakes, and character development, there are actually moments where batman feels way in over his head for once, which I quite like! Also Bane is much better used compared to his previous appearances in the series (So far, I just did the hotel roof fight, so it could get worse!).

2. Jesus loving Christ, I hate this system of achieving certain arbitrary goals before being able to unlock everything, some of the predator stuff is especially annoying since you can't seem to replay predator sections and as such I'm not sure if I can actually unlock them all before the game ends. The one where you have to clear a room with a vent takedown, reverse ledge takedown, gel takedown and corner takedown was a real pain in the rear end to find somewhere where all were possible.

3. I'm also not too hot on the grading system since it sets my inner perfectionist crazy, I always get this feeling that anything short of an S rank is not good enough.

4. Somehow Batman feels slower, thugs always get the hit in before I do and I get punched and break combos in situations I would have aced in city. However I've sort of just grown used to the new quirks in the combat and actually sort of like the more uncompromising combat, it fits with a greener batman. However, the shock gloves just feel like cheating, they aren't fun or interesting, in fact the only new gadget I think I enjoy is the remote claw.

5. Holy poo poo, Bane's mercenaries are the loving best, they're so beautifully pretentious and flowery, where any other mook would say "look out, its batman!", they're all like "behold my Brothers, the Murcielago is before us! We must endeavor to strike him down for the honor of ourselves as well as our great leader, Bane!", I want every challenge room, especially predator ones, across all games to use these guys.

6. Boss fights are quite good too, which is interesting because the last two games put this thought into my head that the Arkham games were mechanically not very suited for boss fights (except :swoon:MR FREEZE:swoon:), but Deathstroke, Copperhead, Bane, Shiva and even Croc are actually genuinely fun and sometimes challenging. I must admit that I wasn't as enamored with Deathstroke as some others though, he was a bit too quicktimey. I still haven't seen Firefly, and the electrocutioner thing was pretty funny.

7. The side characters vary in how well they are used and there's lots of things I like: Enigma/Riddler is quite interesting and actually pretty on the nose in his questioning Batman over who he thinks he is to act like his methods are somehow superior or more moral in cleaning up the city. Likewise Anarky is good combo of insufferable teenage radical leftist and someone who calls batman out on his bullshit in punching criminals to dust and expecting that to sort out the city's problems while supporting questionable existing power structures. Seems to be a running theme about just how much of a criminal batman is and how similar he is to many of those he's trying to bring down that night, either in violence, compared to Anarky, or in brains, compared to Enigma. Heck even the Joker's usual 'we're not so different, you and I...' thing has a bit more weight in light of this and what we are actually shown about the joker's past, that interview scene was pretty good! Likewise, characters like Deathstroke and Bane also share lots of undeniable similarities to batman that seems to draw them towards each other.
Then you have stuff like the mad hatter, which just feels like a rehash of stuff we've already seen, I also couldn't help but think that Deadshot's gotten the poo poo end of the stick two times in a row now, his anti-climatic appearance in City is matched by an anti-climatic appearance here, just a pretty boring and annoying predator section without much of a grand plan.

8. Who was the dumbass who not only thought to bring back the AR training of all things, but also to make it more important for gaining unlocks and just generally more obnoxious?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 22, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so Black Mask is a snuff enthusiast. Got it. :v:

Also, I have a feeling the unlock system was intended to be something you strive for over several playthroughs (NG, NG+, Dark Knight) but I can see why it annoys people. The predator system is really annoying because you don't know if you've fulfilled its criteria until after the auto save has kicked in.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

khwarezm posted:

8. Who was the dumbass who not only thought to bring back the AR training of all things, but also to make it more important for gaining unlocks and just generally more obnoxious?

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat who loves AR training. I'm so sorry. I always knock out of all of the AR drills as soon as I possibly can in AC or AO.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I was hoping that they'd picked Black Mask because they had an interesting idea for something to do with him (as happened with Calendar Man, Clock King and Mister Freeze at various points in the franchise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually found AR Training to be a lot easier in Arkham Origins than it was in City.

Then again, my computer seems to run Origins easier than City for some reason, so that might have something to do with it.

• Locked thread