Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Really good race. Lots of Things Were Happening. Many sausage curbs were hit, sending cars flying. Audi getting pushed by the Toyotas, Astons killing it in GTE Pro and Am. The Am-Astons finished within 2 seconds of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Good race indeed, and attendance looked way up from last year

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Too bad the TV coverage for the first half in the US was loving atrociouspractically non-existent

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Per sportscar365, last year's total attendance for WEC at COTA was less than 8k. This year, it's over 50k. Good signs for sportscar racing in the States :)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Probably helped that WEC was double billed with TUSC (whereas last year's race was just WEC and some smaller support series)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Kilonum posted:

Probably helped that WEC was double billed with TUSC (whereas last year's race was just WEC and some smaller support series)

Day before was the ALMS race and a lot of people went. Kind of failed in promoting to people to stay around an extra day to watch more sportscars last year.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It was a very good event. Yesterday was a bloody long day though. I put up some photos from Thursday-Saturday morning here: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/09/lone-star-le-mans-ars-goes-racing-in-texas/

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Wear your seat belts, kids, and make sure they work: http://youtu.be/93JhLRicARw

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I went to the Trans-Am race at Lime Rock over the weekend. It was fun but the race was too short (67 laps, 100.5 miles) and by the time we decided to move from the esses it was over. There were also Spec Miatas and some sort of time attack thing running. Plus I got to sit in a Challenger Hellcat.

Album

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm going to my first NHRA race tomorrow (St. Louis) and I'm PUMPED. I've seen alcohol nostalgia drags and go to around 8 big truck/tractor pulls a year...but I've never seen nitro before! My father in law, an old super stock racer, is going with me. He's been legally blind for around 15 years now and hasn't been to a track in 20 years. He is 65 years old and is acting like a little kid he is so excited. His eyesight is so bad that everything is just "smeary blobs" (his words) but he wants to go to just "breathe the nitro and get my bones shook" (also his words).

Any tips for a first timer like me? We are sitting pit side and I'll be shooting pics at the event (I'm an ok amateur motorsports photographer). I've heard from everyone to definitely go check out the pits to see the top fuel crews perform wizard like engine work. Any other tricks? And yeah, I've got ear plugs :)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Pits and ear plugs are a must so you have that covered. Other than that, just have a blast and enjoy the experience. One thing I try to do is watch passes from as many spots as you can. Seeing a race from the line, mid-track, and at the traps are completely different experiences. Personally I enjoy the traps, because there's nothing like watching this tiny car get big as hell super quick as it comes closer to you. The speed down there is amazing to be a few yards from, and the doppler effect is wild to hear.

Get there early and hit the pits straight away. If you get in early enough and the crowd isn't too heavy, you can most likely get tons of autographed stuff if that's your thing. Also, if you see a nitro car getting ready to be warmed up, because the swap from alcohol to nitro is amazing in person.

That's what I got from Kenny Bernstein at Englishtown years ago, and Angelle Savoie let me sit on her Pro Stock bike.

Have a blast man, it's a life changing thing to see live.

e- Oh poo poo, you work(ed/s) for Bigfoot right? How's that been going for you? Feel free to post any of that poo poo in this thread, we love every kind of racing. Haha we post in the same threads a lot but I always forget that.

e2- I almost forgot, watch one run with no ear plugs. It won't kill you to do it once, it's something everyone should try.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 27, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure and post some pics here. We have reserved seats right by the starting line, but I plan on moving around to take it in from all angles.

I no longer work full time for Bigfoot but still do sidework for them and hang out at the shop (we just started racing r/c monsters up there in the shop every two weeks). I'm going to an event with them in two weeks so I'll post pics in this thread if people would like to see it.

So yeah, despite working in a race shop for 7 years I've never seen a Top Fuel run. It's a bit embarrassing. That changes today! I'm really excited to hear and feel the cars and see how it compares with tractor pulling. As I mentioned earlier, I travel around the midwest during the summer and shoot pics at a few national tractor pulls so I'm used to hearing rails with up to 6 blown hemis mounted.....but those aren't nitro engines :getin:

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 27, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy loving poo poo that nitro warm-up video had me wanting to grab earplugs and I was just watching on my phone. I never had the chance to take the quick trip to Seattle with my dad to see NHRA but I kinda want to go once just to say I did.

Sizing up going to WEC at Fuji, if I do I'll post the pics. Another friend wants to go so I might cave and head out there.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Big thing about Top Fuel is you feel it in your chest even if you're on top of the grandstands.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's amazing just how loud the transition from alcohol to nitro is, and though that video is excellent in showing the tonal differences, it falls right back into the "I can't describe it, you have to see it" category. From the loud idle of a blown, alcohol fed, unmuffled Hemi sound to the POW POWPOW POW POWPOW POW POWPOW of nitro, goddamn it gets me hard just thinking about it. Just watch where the zoomies are aimed when they swap it over, because no poo poo getting a face full of nitro vapor is exactly like getting pepper sprayed, and I've had experience with both.

Also on the Bigfoot angle, of course we want updates! If you're interested in watching some racing with us scum in SAS, you might get a kick out of this. Keep an eye out if this thread gets updated. It's a thread we use to coordinate viewing times on Cytube, a site that lets people in a chat room synch up the videos they are watching. A lot of times it's me who gets the videos picked, and in the past I've had monster trucks, tractor pulling from the old Silverdome era of popularity, hell I've even put swamp buggies on in there.

Peanut President posted:

Big thing about Top Fuel is you feel it in your chest even if you're on top of the grandstands.

This isn't an exaggeration, either. You will become acutely aware that you have internal organs inside you that are free to move around.

You feel it in your chest at the top of the grandstand while the car is in the burnout box and you are at the traps.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 27, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Funny car did that to me a few years ago. It was a run with Ron Capps and someone else and as they charged by my eye balls shook out of vision and just saw a blur of light. It's a thing to see... and feel... and smell... and hear.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Having never seen one to verify for myself, I've heard numerous people say the only thing louder that you can experience is a shuttle launch.

I guess Motörhead would be similar, too.

e- oh yeah, on your way to the track play this song on repeat

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That was loving incredible. The first time I was hit by the blast wave of a top fuel I nearly dropped my camera due to the force. It felt like all the air was sucked out of the atmosphere. I got goosebumps due to the adrenaline. It's really crazy. Nitro is amazing. I actually felt the freaking pavement shake (along with my internal organs)! There is simply nothing else like it in motorsports.

What they say is true; you can't really describe what it feels like and if you haven't seen it you MUST see it live at least once. Going on advice from friends and people in this thread I got to:

- Watch multiple crews rebuild and then warm up their nitro engines in the pits.
- Catch sessions both at the start and finish lines. The explosion/concussion blast from the start feels way different than the Doppler effect near the finish.
- Catch a few runs while standing on the retaining fence.
- See an engine explode.
- Watch John Force nab a TQ in person.
- Stand in the staging area and see everyone do last minute prep.

I think I accomplished everything I wanted to for my first NHRA race. I can't wait to go back next year! Here are a couple pics I took:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it hooks 'em every time

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Yikes, Rob Collard airlifted to hospital after a huge crash in race 2 at Silverstone. He's "ok" apparently. Clipped Jack Clarke and rolled violently.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I am a retard

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 28, 2014

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Great Beer posted:

Tim Bell just lost brakes on what looks like the back stretch of COTA and hit the wall at over 100 mph. The safety barrier worked perfectly and he was able to walk into the ambulance but drat that looked bad.

Just last week??

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

dsriggs posted:

Just last week??

Hurf. This is a rerun. Ignore me. :downs:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CactusWeasle posted:

Yikes, Rob Collard airlifted to hospital after a huge crash in race 2 at Silverstone. He's "ok" apparently. Clipped Jack Clarke and rolled violently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vos2KZjAG4g

Also on Midweek Motorsports, reason why we haven't seen a whole lot of David Brabham, he's been trying to revive the Brabham Team and fighting a guy who took the name and now will be doing a crowdfunded opensource team. It's so wacky I love it.

Here is there indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-brabham

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

BMB5150 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vos2KZjAG4g

Also on Midweek Motorsports, reason why we haven't seen a whole lot of David Brabham, he's been trying to revive the Brabham Team and fighting a guy who took the name and now will be doing a crowdfunded opensource team. It's so wacky I love it.

Here is there indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-brabham

The output of the funding goal is a website, right? The team is a 8 mil pound stretch goal.

Its so rich boy racing it kind of hurts somehow, its great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

The output of the funding goal is a website, right? The team is a 8 mil pound stretch goal.

Its so rich boy racing it kind of hurts somehow, its great.

honestly I think the crowd funding campaign is just to prove they have a captured market for sponsors (Brabham mentions specifically even on their IGG page that they're into negotiations with suppliers, sponsors, etc.) and to specifically quantify how many eyeballs they'll have for your sponsor dollars. Not only is the campaign pretty low compared with the total needed to fully fund the racing team, but even if things come together quickly, surely they'd be close to finishing sponsorship, facility and supplier deals in order to make the WEC grid next spring.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
RLM back to IMSA in 2015

http://www.imsa.com/articles/putting-band-back-together-creamer-hindhaugh-shaw-lead-imsa-radio

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress yes

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

These guys are awesome, but can you understand a word of John Hindaugh's accent?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Helicon One posted:

These guys are awesome, but can you understand a word of John Hindaugh's accent?

...yes? Quite clearly?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

...yes? Quite clearly?

These days I'd rather he commentated on F1 too, he's better than any of the usual crew on NBC or Sky or BBC.

(apologies it's so blurry)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

These days I'd rather he commentated on F1 too, he's better than any of the usual crew on NBC or Sky or BBC.

(apologies it's so blurry)

Just thought of it now, he looks like an older Jeff Gerstmann.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Petit LeMans starting now :munch:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Love the Vipers in the red white livery

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Always keep your eyes on the road.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

so wich race has had a higher ratio of laps under caution: Petit Le Mans so far today or ARCA Kansas last night?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Any petit Le Mans feeds available?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
http://www.imsa.com/camera/united-sportscar/live-broadcast

still on the live feed from imsa for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

:siren: WE HAVE GWC :siren:

But appears someone took probably a massive hit in the esses. Hearing Rayhall flipped over in that crash.

• Locked thread