Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

sorry about your bad software, I hope it gets better. you're probably using an obsolete jre or a stupidly small heap though, java 8 is really fast with anything not written by clowns so maybe try that?

u dont understand

i run software written by xilinx to do my jorb

xilinx

replacing the jre will not fix it, they make good chips but the software (like most eda tools) is a special kind of hell

and i suppose i shouldn't complain too bitterly, the new! improved! xplatform java gui they bought from a startup and subsequently slowwwwwwly transitioned to is poo poo, but still about a million times better than the Wind/U "recompile yr windows api apps for linux!!!" bullshit they used to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

and i suppose i shouldn't complain too bitterly, the new! improved! xplatform java gui they bought from a startup and subsequently slowwwwwwly transitioned to is poo poo, but still about a million times better than the Wind/U "recompile yr windows api apps for linux!!!" bullshit they used to use

they should just write their software in VHDL and ship it on an FPGA that just uses a host app for I/O.

kinda like a Symbolics MacIvory or a TI MicroExplorer did to turn a Mac II into a Lisp Machine, and IBM did with the PC XT/370.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

Take a bunch of Linux software
Then get some middlemen to add an installation script to it
Randomly comment out important lines of cryptography code and remove all the key entropy
and delay its release to users by six months (Debian)
Then get some incompetent middlemen to gently caress things up, hack random bits of desktop code to make it more "user friendly" (based on no user feedback whatsoever) and also replace key system components for political reasons (Ubuntu)
Then gently caress it up some more and replace the desktop shell with some homegrown thing (Mint)

Don't use Ubuntu or any of its derivatives.

You missed an important step.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
jesus loving christ do not use a linux

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

jre posted:

You missed an important step.

considering the upstream, idk

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

u dont understand

i run software written by xilinx to do my jorb
that's a relief, i thought for a moment this was going to be one of those situations where it gradually becomes apparent that we work at the same place and the terrible java software making your daily existence a living hell is something i'm responsible for.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Installed Gnome on my laptop. It seems to work pretty good, except the Dark Adawhatever theme isn't actually being applied to everything and the window title bar takes up a lot of space and sound is muted every time I log in for some reason, but all in all a pretty positive Linux on the Desktop experience. Well that's my story.

Edit: Also the hotspot to resize the right edge of a window seems to be like one pixel wide for some reason.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 22, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Sauer posted:

It seems to work pretty good, except ... theme isn't actually being applied to everything and the window title bar takes up a lot of space and sound is muted every time I log in for some reason.

except it's desktop linux, of course it doesn't actually work properly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
the thread in which yospos continually rediscovers all the ways linux is loving terrible

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The dark Adwaita theme is only applied to multimedia apps, but you can toggle a switch in GNOME Tweak Tool to make it happen globally.

CSD apps take up a lot less space now. It sounds like you might have an old version or bad distro. What are you using?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
the next time I am forced to use something that isn't a mac, I'm throwing on http://www.pcbsd.org

yeah that's right, desktop freebsd

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://twitter.com/gnudarwin

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The dark Adwaita theme is only applied to multimedia apps, but you can toggle a switch in GNOME Tweak Tool to make it happen globally.

CSD apps take up a lot less space now. It sounds like you might have an old version or bad distro. What are you using?

Arch with whatever the current version is in their Gnome meta package, which looks like 3.12.2.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raruler posted:

the next time I am forced to use something that isn't a mac, I'm throwing on http://www.pcbsd.org

yeah that's right, desktop freebsd

i used desktop freebsd for many years. those were dark years, because freebsd package management is poo poo for idiots. and freebsd has no users anymore so software doesn't get tested on it the way it used to

it still (probably) sucks less than osx+homebrew. freebsd is a real unix with normal tools/binary formats/compilers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wow, gnu darwin

now you can combine the horrible performance, compatibility, and non-existent package management of osx with the horrible user experience of desktop unix

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and freebsd has no users anymore so software doesn't get tested on it the way it used to

what are you talking about, freebsd has had a massive influx of new users with the release of the playstation 4

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to my credit i was using freebsd on a laptop during the linux 2.4 "kernel of pain" fiasco

by comparison to that festival of hardlocks, freebsd-CURRENT was rock solid, hearts touching. it was also scads faster, because linux didn't really support smp until 2.6

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

sounds usable and intuitive to me!! lmao

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i used desktop freebsd for many years. those were dark years, because freebsd package management is poo poo for idiots

it continues to be amusing that u don't get this and actually believe there is (or can be) such a thing as a linux/bsd style package manager which is not poo poo

not having one is one of the keys to the success of os x

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wow, gnu darwin

now you can combine the horrible performance, compatibility, and non-existent package management of osx with the horrible user experience of desktop unix

no respect for the time cube of unix distributions

(seriously get off your osx-is-awful hobby horse for a millisecond or two and click the drat links, proclus is a legend)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

This looks like one of the best brain comparison images out there,
includes human, elephant, and dolphin. http://bit.ly/1pWIlWt Well, if
you look at a dolphin brain from another direction, it might appear as
larger than the human brain. If you really want to expand your mind,
try a whale brain. http://bit.ly/VAgkcH

I'm surprised that we don't see more vegetarians pointing out the eating
habits of the largest animals on earth. Things often go badly for large
predators; broken teeth, jaw infections, parasites, and other diseases.
Larger brains seem reserved to more judicious eaters. I'm just
imagining what it would be like to be bigger than a house, and eat
nothing much but plankton, lots of plankton. Human success probably
derives in part from the fact that they feed on large grazing animals,
one step away from the grass.

Now to the bats. Many species of fruit bats also feed on abit of blood
from time to time, no? I'd like to see the look on some rancher's faces,
when you tell them that the fruit bats don't feed on cattle blood. Like
the birds, the bats sacrificed brain size in order to fly. I think bats
are adorable, but perhaps not so appetizing. Too much like flying
rodents. OTOH, if you have ever heard bat utterances, you might give up
bird songs.

Bats see in the infrared. Humans must look quite tasty sometimes.
http://bit.ly/VAjxJl One thing I like about bicycling. One can avoid
most flying creatures. Just pedal harder. I'm consistently missed by
the dive-bombing angry birds. :-) Now that I've been working out
more, I identify more with the songs of hungry bats.

This 'fruit bats' notion is abit of misnomer. It deserves more study.
  /
proclus aka michael l. love aka the creator (and nearly only user) of gnu-darwin, posting to his unix distribution's mailing list

gnu-darwin: an os for gnu open source purists which proclus proclaims to be the most free-as-in-freedom os ever. proclus copied apsl licensed darwin code to build his monument to gnu freedom for reasons which he has never, to the best of my knowledge, elucidated

a god-damned legend :patriot:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

why is it that no one ever dishes out the bans in this the desktop lunix honeypot thread

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

see i see this and i read "the gnome desktop team is full of morons" because lol at not making that the default behavior

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
ports + pkgng owns, sorry about whatever broken poo poo y'all have to deal with

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I installed Fedora on my laptop and Dark Adwaita looks super nice but even with gnome tweak tool and the firefox theme, firefox still uses the light version :(

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

see i see this and i read "the gnome desktop team is full of morons" because lol at not making that the default behavior

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fib posted:

I installed Fedora on my laptop and Dark Adwaita looks super nice but even with gnome tweak tool and the firefox theme, firefox still uses the light version :(

Firefox doesn't use GTK3 so it doesn't get the same theme.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We've talked about making the dark theme default for all apps before. It might happen at some point.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

dark doesn't need to be the default, it just needs to force the theme across all apps

seriously this is basic ui design

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Apps don't have to respect the theme, and they certainly won't if they're not using our toolkit. There is a custom Firefox skin to make it look like dark Adwaita done by our design team. You can install that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm reminded of that time when osx had three different styles, two of which were apple proprietary and none of which had a clear rule as to what apps used what style

but idk i kinda like the light Adwaita :shobon: the dark theme has this greenish tint that makes it look like my programs are necrotic or something.

also Epiphany aka Web owns a whole hell of a lot now that it has a functional adblock plus compatible back end built seamlessly into the browser

lack of abp-compatible ad blocking is a deal breaker for a web browser now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The rewritten Adwaita in 3.14 doesn't have that greenish tint.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh, neat. I meant to say that I don't mind having media apps using the dark theme and having everything else using the bright theme. It kinda makes sense, somehow.

Epiphany has KDE-tier lovely padding and alignment now though. Also the fact that there isn't really any good way to hide the contact list and have Epiphany running in the background is annoying, but I guess that's been a problem in Epiphany since day one of GNOME 3. You can rt click minimise it, but minimising is kind of deprecated in GNOME 3 afaik so it's kinda lovely to work with.

also I'm rather enjoying the fact that GNOME is handling HiDPI and multitouch far better than Windows 8 is. It actually seems like it could plausibly be used on a PC that's in tablet mode, and you guys didn't even need to make some totally separate fisher price gui bolted on the side like a siamese twin in order to do it.

but then i guess that's easy to do when gnome 3 has like no third party software whatsoever :v: i can't think of a single application that uses the current gnome 3 design language that isn't part of gnome 3.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

but of course.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

but minimising is kind of deprecated in GNOME 3 afaik so it's kinda lovely to work with.

what?

how do you deprecate minimising

Mr Dog posted:

also I'm rather enjoying the fact that GNOME is handling HiDPI and multitouch far better than Windows 8 is. It actually seems like it could plausibly be used on a PC that's in tablet mode, and you guys didn't even need to make some totally separate fisher price gui bolted on the side like a siamese twin in order to do it.

kde does this too

i have debated getting an x86 tablet just to load it up with kde and see what happens. would be cool to have a full desktop browser in an ipad form factor

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

oh, neat. I meant to say that I don't mind having media apps using the dark theme and having everything else using the bright theme. It kinda makes sense, somehow.

Epiphany has KDE-tier lovely padding and alignment now though. Also the fact that there isn't really any good way to hide the contact list and have Epiphany running in the background is annoying, but I guess that's been a problem in Epiphany since day one of GNOME 3. You can rt click minimise it, but minimising is kind of deprecated in GNOME 3 afaik so it's kinda lovely to work with.

I'm assuming you mean Empathy. Epiphany is the browser, Empathy is the chat app. I'm not really a fan of either, but Empathy was never really designed.

Chat should be a background service, but Telepathy loving sucks and is for losers.

Mr Dog posted:

but then i guess that's easy to do when gnome 3 has like no third party software whatsoever :v: i can't think of a single application that uses the current gnome 3 design language that isn't part of gnome 3.

The Yorba apps: Geary, Shotwell, California

We're talking with the Elementary team about merging HIGs, since we're very similar in that regard. Elementary would become third-party apps for GNOME, and GNOME apps would become third-party apps for Elementary.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.
If your standard for "supported" is "was uploaded to debian at some point long ago and then forgotten" or "is actively maintained by paid canonical professionals" then you have a double standard hth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

If your standard for "supported" is "was uploaded to debian at some point long ago and then forgotten" or "is actively maintained by paid canonical professionals" then you have a double standard hth

debian has a real problem with abandoned packages -- no maintainer. there are hundreds of packages in this lamentable state

in ubuntu, they are the vast majority of the packages.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also i can't really see my way to using debian on anything but a developer desktop. the release cycle is too brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, abandoned packages with no maintainer are a real problem in debian

in ubuntu, they are the majority of the packages
No, you really don't understand the workflow here. A huge portion of Ubuntu developers are also Debian developers. We actively dislike deltas with Debian, and very frequently submit Ubuntu-changes to Debian for later inclusion or just fix them in debian directly and sync them.

By your reasoning an Ubuntu developer who is supporting his package on Ubuntu and makes it work by this process would count as "unsupported" in Ubuntu and "supported" in Debian.