Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Budget Cop posted:

nehruviandoom leaked too and it's pretty boring. bishop nehru is really dull and doom has like 3 verses total. the production is pretty good but the entire thing is just...boring. it's not bad or anything but it's definitely disappointing

Whaat really? I might just pretend it was never released if it's THAT bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

dont think anyone has posted it yet but the new chris travis tape "silence of me eternally" dropped and its his best work to date (imo)
http://soundcloud.com/chrisfuckingtravis/sets/silence-of-me-eternally
if yall dont know who he is, hes a memphis soundcloud rapper affiliated w/bones, xavier wulf, eddy baker etc

some standout tracks
live from the creek

just ashin

one cup of water

mic check

no purpose ("white man lookin im a young paid black man")

and if yall never heard chris travis music here are some other tracks to check out...
yellow diamonds
runaway
im winning

and his biggest track...
crunch time

afgrunden fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 19, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

im gay posted:

I think a lot of people will be disappointed by anything after Kyoto. Good poo poo though.

I still think motorola is better fwiw. may actually check the new tape

Budget Cop posted:

nehruviandoom leaked too and it's pretty boring. bishop nehru is really dull and doom has like 3 verses total. the production is pretty good but the entire thing is just...boring. it's not bad or anything but it's definitely disappointing
i'm actually not surprised at all. i haven't liked anything doom's done since born like this and he's my fav rap dude ever. . and nehru falls into the joey badass zone where he's functionally good (or even better than good) but just doesn't have any personality to drive his stuff, and isn't good enough to get by on technical skill alone.

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations for non Psycopathic Records assosciated horrorcore?
check out most anything on psycho logical records (especially the stuff by necro, who's actually a really great producer).

cage's early stuff would probably fit, as well as the gravediggaz's first album (although it's way more toned down than a lot of the other stuff).

depending on what you're looking for tyler the creator and earl's first albums before they were yelled at by white people/sent to a brainwashing camp and decided to only make weepy the smiths covers would probably work (also the second odd future comp). the other odd future dudes have some tracks that slides in that lane but they don't sell it nearly as hard as tyler/earl

and again depending on what exactly you're looking for, a bunch of the early memphis devil music that three 6 and others were doing in the early 90's may fit the bill. (and lil ugly mane, who uses that style frequently).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://djservicepack.com/2-chainz-ft-young-thug-dresser/

Tity Boi and Thugga on a new track

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I still think motorola is better fwiw. may actually check the new tape

i'm actually not surprised at all. i haven't liked anything doom's done since born like this and he's my fav rap dude ever. . and nehru falls into the joey badass zone where he's functionally good (or even better than good) but just doesn't have any personality to drive his stuff, and isn't good enough to get by on technical skill alone.

check out most anything on psycho logical records (especially the stuff by necro, who's actually a really great producer).

cage's early stuff would probably fit, as well as the gravediggaz's first album (although it's way more toned down than a lot of the other stuff).

depending on what you're looking for tyler the creator and earl's first albums before they were yelled at by white people/sent to a brainwashing camp and decided to only make weepy the smiths covers would probably work (also the second odd future comp). the other odd future dudes have some tracks that slides in that lane but they don't sell it nearly as hard as tyler/earl

and again depending on what exactly you're looking for, a bunch of the early memphis devil music that three 6 and others were doing in the early 90's may fit the bill. (and lil ugly mane, who uses that style frequently).

Thanks for the reccomendations. I'm really looking for more of a lyrical standpoint, I'm a big fan of Twiztid but just wanted to branch out more.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I completely forgot about this one when I was talking about Ethelwulf this morning but the chopped and screwed version of his tape The Wolf Gang's Rodolphe is nice too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2czt3QgAWT0

this one owns too but I couldn't find the C&S version on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJIuzCdfHA

crunk as hell with the set in the motel
call the room service lady, freak on her as well
hit the waffle house late, I mean late as hell
make em cook up everything, then we fuckin bail

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cz_31LPqe8

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

thugga's hook is very emotional on this

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I've been on a Lil Mouse kick lately and I've never felt so guilty about listening to rap music.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
I took a chance on House Slippers and know what? It's dope! The Yaowa's rap style actually translated into a cohesive studio album, while keeping the identity something a Brooklyn dude would do. His lyrics are sharp, the production is dope and there are a couple tracks I had no expectation of being good but the beat switch ups make them loving fire. In between this and Royce's new collabo with DJ Premier, I'm glad Slaughterhouse can make some good individual music (cause their album was SO disappointing).

Cop it.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
https://soundcloud.com/grindlife_films/nothin-on-me-kydd-jones

the homie kydd jones with a new banger

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Crumbletron posted:

I don't recognize the beat or flow. It's either new or from his pre-Patriarch/Cliff of Death output, which I've (regrettably) never checked out

Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7bnHIom4s

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yay! Charlotte!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

This is a pretty good song, everyone looks so serious but every once in a while someone pops up with a goofy smile on their face...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

After listening to Never Catch Me about a million times, I want nothing more in music than a Kendrick /FlyLo album. It's one of the most interesting, exciting and energetic tracks I've heard in years.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I've never heard of this dood before but I really like this song. Is there more stuff of his I should listen to?

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone ever see Big K.R.I.T. or Run the Jewels live? Both are coming to my city for separate concerts in the next couple of months and I'm curious as to what they're like live. Run the Jewels 2 should be out by the time RtJ is in town.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

UoI posted:

I've never heard of this dood before but I really like this song. Is there more stuff of his I should listen to?

If you're talking about Deniro, check out Patriarch I-II, Cliff of Death EP and his new EP from this year, Rebirth. He's got a style of his own.

That's a cool song but Duru sounds way better on his other tracks with Farrar imo

Also the beat on Yung Lean's song Volt is incredible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sunshine Mix posted:

Anyone ever see Big K.R.I.T. or Run the Jewels live?

I'm also interested in this, seeing them in December. Do they play solo stuff? That would be great.

Crumbletron posted:

Yeah it's unreal, best on the album. The bass kicks are so good. Production overall on the album is very good, totally wasted on the actual rapping.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm also interested in this, seeing them in December. Do they play solo stuff? That would be great.

Sunshine Mix posted:

Anyone ever see Big K.R.I.T. or Run the Jewels live? Both are coming to my city for separate concerts in the next couple of months and I'm curious as to what they're like live. Run the Jewels 2 should be out by the time RtJ is in town.
i've seen run the jewels and both of them separately live already and they're pretty fantastic. they're both very energetic performers, are pretty funny and have great chemistry on stage together. when i saw them they did the entire run the jewels album and then like 3 solo songs each (el-p also did an old company flow song)

edit: big k.r.i.t is fun live but don't go in expecting the show of your life or something. he takes a lot of breaks and he stopped playing early when i went to go see him live

edit 2: oh i should probably mention that even though big krit stopped his show early he stuck around to sign stuff and take pictures. he's a really nice guy

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 22, 2014

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

RTJ is awesome live.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Some newish stuff:

Pyramid Vritra released an album earlier this year (Indra) and just released an EP like last week. I'd actually been looking for the album, but forgot about it as it was delayed and there's been like no pub about dude whatsoever it seems.

Both are really good, if anyone's listened to Jet Age of Tomorrow's stuff it's similar (he's one of the producers in the duo), with more rap and lest pure ambient-y background music stuff. Alternately, it sounds like a more "functional" version of Shabazz Palaces. Or a more grounded, focused Metro Zu. Fits in with a lot of that type of stuff (I'd put Tin Wooki in that group as well-kinda spacey more electronic-influenced production). He just released a video for "224" off the new EP, I'd start there and if you like that (or any of the other dudes I mentioned) I'd definitely think it's worth a listen.

Speaking of electronic-influenced production, I hate to admit it but Yung Lean's album is actually pretty nice. Dude still can't rap, but has enough ridiculous production and all sorts of autotune filters on his voice that it works. Like he's a dude I should hate just on general principle, but a bunch of his songs are catchy as heck and he seems to at least stay out of the way of the production so yeah.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

lmao I have met Bankroll Bird

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Speaking of electronic-influenced production, I hate to admit it but Yung Lean's album is actually pretty nice. Dude still can't rap, but has enough ridiculous production and all sorts of autotune filters on his voice that it works. Like he's a dude I should hate just on general principle, but a bunch of his songs are catchy as heck and he seems to at least stay out of the way of the production so yeah.

How could you even sort of hate Yung Lean after that Nardwuar interview??

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
This Pharoahe Monch song just came outta nowhere and blew me away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acUoJ-GP37g

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Budget Cop posted:

i've seen run the jewels and both of them separately live already and they're pretty fantastic. they're both very energetic performers, are pretty funny and have great chemistry on stage together. when i saw them they did the entire run the jewels album and then like 3 solo songs each (el-p also did an old company flow song)
Yeah, I really enjoyed the RtJ show I saw

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crumbletron posted:

If you're talking about Deniro, check out Patriarch I-II, Cliff of Death EP and his new EP from this year, Rebirth. He's got a style of his own.

That's a cool song but Duru sounds way better on his other tracks with Farrar imo

Listened to these and they were p great. Thanks.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

new kendrick flow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love Kendrick but this is poo poo.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

That production

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That production

That guitar really makes it.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love Kendrick but this is poo poo.

Wrong.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

I think this is a really hot track, but it would have been better if it came out two months ago. It is a summerjam, mad cowbell.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Was expecting him to release a darker single but it's a fun song. Not sure why he didn't release this in August like Another Person said.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Carlos Santana - I (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Another Person posted:

I think this is a really hot track, but it would have been better if it came out two months ago. It is a summerjam, mad cowbell.

Thinking the same. This kind of really upbeat track dropping the first day of Autumn on a rainy cloudy day is kind of ironic. I have no idea what he's saying, but it does sound alright.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kendrick 3k

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
Kendrick is much smarter and intellectually attentive than any other rapper really (i.e Drake) and is making music that will be listened to and appreciated for a much longer time than any other rapper (especially Drake). While RTJ or most other rappers are trying to make really cool hip-hop, Kendrick is trying to make music cooler than hip-hop. Good song

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Really ambivalent on this new Kendrick track. I think it's cool that he's trying to do something different and he's still obviously really talented, but I feel like he's slipping down the Eminem "technically impressive but ridiculously corny" rabbit hole, especially with that weak Andre 3k impression and those dated Carlos Santana guitars. The outro was cool I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Fat guys with biscuit arms and necks, jumping around a stage, is cool hip-hop.