Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Investigate
A) Purple/Orange x x
B) Relic Merchant x x x x
C) Priests x x x x x
D) Servitors x x
E) Something Else

Get Flouro Cat
Yes x x x x x
No

Tentatively, Im going to start sketching a post about the priests, merchant, and the cat, although that might change by the time I actually start writing. Tomorrow afternoon maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Investigate
A) Purple/Orange x x
B) Relic Merchant x x x x
C) Priests x x x x x
D) Servitors x x
E) Something Else

Get Flouro Cat
Yes x x x x x
No

Tentatively, Im going to start sketching a post about the priests, merchant, and the cat, although that might change by the time I actually start writing. Tomorrow afternoon maybe?

Don't ask us, you're the one writing the update.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

LowellDND posted:

How long before we vote to upgrade the cat with speech capability?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

Don't ask us, you're the one writing the update.

Yup, just like letting everyone know the process. If servitors suddenly got ten votes (or whatever) I would have to start a new outline ;)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How long before we vote to upgrade the cat with speech capability?

Well, you could start leveling in Magos Biologis things, or you could check with the Tech-Priests on ship and see if any of them want to do some mad science.

edit: On my chart, it looks like you could grab Genetor at level 9, which is the full PhD in mad bioscience. Alternately, you might just grab things like forbidden lore mutants, forbidden lore xenos, forbidden lore adeptus astartes, medicae, chem-use, scholastic lore beasts, or scholastic lore chymystry. Fastest would be finding an NPC who has already done all this, but it would require varying levels of RP based on the planned mods.

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 22, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Might be best to lock in the vote after a certain amount of time has passed. You can avoid duplicating and/or wasting effort that way!

Remember, inefficiency breeds chaos!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

LowellDND posted:

Well, you could start leveling in Magos Biologis things, or you could check with the Tech-Priests on ship and see if any of them want to do some mad science.

edit: On my chart, it looks like you could grab Genetor at level 9, which is the full PhD in mad bioscience. Alternately, you might just grab things like forbidden lore mutants, forbidden lore xenos, forbidden lore adeptus astartes, medicae, chem-use, scholastic lore beasts, or scholastic lore chymystry. Fastest would be finding an NPC who has already done all this, but it would require varying levels of RP based on the planned mods.

I was thinking cybernetic vox-box but going full on mad Genetor sounds fun too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think it's spelt fluoro, not flouro.

+1 calling cat Flours

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Voting for Relic Merchant and Fluoro cat!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Investigate
A) Purple/Orange x x
B) Relic Merchant x x x x x
C) Priests x x x x x
D) Servitors x x
E) Something Else

Get Flouro Cat
Yes x x x x x x x
No

Works for me. Ill cover Merchant and Priests today. I haven't gotten a feel yet on how you inquisite, so it'll be a more short/often posts this week than my Weber monsters.

Now, the important questions!

What are we naming our Cyber Mastiff?
Should we name our Cat Flours?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Megabite
YES!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

my dad posted:

Megabite
YES!!!

Double yes. And give him a thousand needle sharp teeth.

And Flours.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

my dad posted:

Megabite
YES!!!

Hee! I like this.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dog Name: Frisket

Because who doesn't want a dog that can catch cannonballs with his teeth?

Cat Name: Flours

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wow, thats a blast from the past.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

my dad posted:

Megabite
YES!!!

Yup. The next cyber mastiff should be named Bladewolf.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Flour the fluorocat :yayclod:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Felight: Space-Princess and Kittybot Extraordinare, first of her name.

Also B. Relic Merchant.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Frisket is our Mastiff's name, obviously. :colbert:

And the cat is Flower.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Frisket and Flour.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 23, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Megabite and Flours.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slaan posted:

Frisket is our Mastiff's name, obviously. :colbert:

And the cat is Flower.

:colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mastiff Name
Megabite x x x x x x
Frisket x x x x x

Cat name
Flours x x x x x x x x
Flour x x x
Flower x x
Felight: Space Princess and Kittybot Extraordinare, First of Her Name x

Leaving Mastiff name open, Cat shall be Flours

Investigation begins!

Frankly, a religious cult was the perfect cover for the Great Enemy. The Beast of Trall Traal moved tens of thousands of pilgrims every year, and it was impossible to keep track of them all. Any heretical tendencies wouldn’t be noticed in the short time they were aboard, and even worse, the Great Enemy would be using the works of Man to enact their vile will. Someone with more interaction on ship - servitors or food distribution - would be noticed far quicker. No, it was the pilgrims - and perhaps that relic merchant - who needed to prove their loyalty to the God-Emperor.

First things first though.

Finishing your prayer to the Omnissiah, you complete the rituals that merged you with the Machine Spirit. The data you received is more than enough to track down both the pilgrims and relic merchant - the chemical sensors are astonishingly good at this airlock, and you able to use them as a signature to track your quarry. Your cyber-mastiff, curled up at your feet, perks up when she sees you stir, and settles on her haunches, wagging her tail.

“Okay furball, here’s what we’re going to do. By the time I get to the street, I want you to have caught that glowing cat you’ve been eyeing all morning.” Her tail beats faster as her mouth opens in a doggy grin, revealing a thousand needle sharp teeth. “Okay. Go!” The cyber-mastiff leaps up, pivoting on her metalline claws, before scrambling down the stairs, leaving deep marks in the wood fiber. You amble behind her, and she is almost immediately out of sight.

True to her word, by the time you reach street level, she has a cat in her maw, hanging sullenly by the nap of her neck and glaring at you. The cat’s fur is a hostile, if resigned, red, and she looks up at you with angry eyes. Your cyber-mastiff, meanwhile, is still grinning doggishly, the flesh of the cat very carefully held between her adamantine jaws.

“Right then, Flours, you are mine now, understand?” She looks up at you, still sullen. “Furball, let her go.” The moment Flours hits the ground, she starts a sprint away, but you were waiting for that. Reaching out quickly, you gather her in your arms, and place her on your augmented shoulder. “There you go. You know the rules.” Flours growls angrily, but doesn’t leap off. Fluorescent cats have been domesticated for millennia, and the majority of them were born half trained.

Reaching into your robes, you pull out a treat, which your cyber-mastiff eats eagerly. “Good job. Now I want you to go find this merchant. He smells like <this>” as you transmit the chemical code to her in binary. “Don’t attack him and don’t get noticed, just find out where he is staying for me. I’ll be along shortly.” She listens attentively, then nods, leaping away and sprinting into the street. Half a dozen dregs scatter out of the way as she goes.

Good puppy.

Now, for your own pursuit of the pilgrims. Your detection ability isn’t nearly as capable as a cyber-mastiff, but between the description, their chemicals floating in the air, and a few quiet conversations with passerby gets you where you need to be. The conversations cost twenty thrones, but that price or a hundred times more would be worth it for finding a nest of cultists.

The area they went to is a less frequented area of the Deeps - one main access point to a dead end circle where carts were gathered. The buildings around them slumped like old men leaning on each other, and all the windows had curtains drawn, although you thought you saw movement behind some of them. Odd, this would be a good place to trap someone; its weird they chose this spot as their hideaway. They wouldn’t have anywhere to flee to if you pushed them here.

Ah. Hearing footfalls behind you, you realize that it really is a good place to trap someone.

Turning, you see at least a dozen “pilgrims” in their ratty and bloody robes. Their eyes are fevered, fanatical, and their faces are scored with pockmarks and signs of flagellation. It’s hard to tell, but you think you even see open sores on their necks and upper chests; signs of disease or hair shirts. They all have weapons near their hands, spiked blunt objects or chains. One of them steps forward, presumably their leader. His voice is full of loathing hatred.

“We know why you are here, machine. We won’t let you have it.”

Do you…

A) Throw grenades. They are tightly grouped, and the initial blast should cut their numbers in half. From there, you think you can win the fight.

B) Vox for help. Either a team of Greycloaks or your cyber-mastiff should be close by.

C) Intimidation. Dont they have any idea who you are? And who your father is??

D) Charm/diplomacy. Clearly, this is all just a big misunderstanding.

E) Something Else.

Ouch. Your tracking roles were great, but you failed awareness, and your inquiries got you noticed by friends of theirs. You still have all your fate points, and are currently uninjured. I might get to dust off the combat rules for this :black101:

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 23, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A

Whelp. Time to start killin' in the Name.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
E - Inquiry. I want to know what "it" is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Interrogate the survivors. Until then, fight!

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
A. This is the grimdark 41st millenium - shoot first, ask questions later continue shooting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MaliciousOnion posted:

E - Inquiry. I want to know what "it" is.

This, and while we're using inquiry prep a grenade...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A - you don't get to threaten a member of the AdMech and get away with it in one piece.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
E. We must find out what "it" is, but while doing so, we should absolutely be preparing to fight. How many grenades can we grasp at once?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

E. We must find out what "it" is, but while doing so, we should absolutely be preparing to fight. How many grenades can we grasp at once?

Two grenades. Im picturing them on your belt with a 3 clip mechanism. You could pull them off your belt with one motion (removing one clip), and then thumb off another. The last clip would fall off during the throw. Putting those two clips back in would something you'd want to take great care in, if you didn't end up using them.

(I was infantry back in the day, so Im writing what I know :D)

edit: they are only armed with melee weapons as far as you can tell, so the first throw is yours.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Haha, showily pull off two grenades, and while holding them up ask 'Ok shitlords, I'm asking the questions here.'

Um, they're probably stupid enough to not understand what will happen, don't do this.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

jng2058 posted:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

jng2058 posted:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You're still holding the cat.

Throw the cat then A.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You're still holding the cat.

Throw the cat then A.

Flours's perched on our shoulder, it's fine.

A

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

A and then interrogate anyone who isn't gibbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A Better Tomorrow

As you turned to face your ambushers, you quickly unclipped the first safeties off the pair of grenades at your belt. Idly, part of your mind wonders if the Inquisition knew this was going to happen. First time in your life you might need grenades, and someone gives them to you hours before. Omnissiah was definitely looking out for you on this one.

Maybe a dozen pilgrims. Angry, posturing, wanting to talk before they escalate. Always a failing of the organics; not knowing that talking wastes time. In this case it lets you unclip the second safeties, and in the moment they pause for your response, you throw the grenades, the third safeties unclipping and falling to the ground.

You’re not sure what they were expecting, but it wasn’t that. All of them instinctively watch the two orbs arc in the air towards them, even as you are diving behind a pile of debris. By the time they realize maybe they should do similar, the devices are exploding, and your mechanical eyes record every moment in slow time. Their surprise, followed by shock and horror. Followed by pain.

They were tightly grouped, perhaps imagining they would get you on the ground for a good kicking, but it was a terrible idea when facing explosives. A thousand fragments expand in a spherical direction, riding a pressure wave, and they tear through the weak organic flesh like it was air. The nearest ones die instantly, turned into a standing pile of meat and bone, before the pillars that were their bodies disperse onto their comrades. Even as the three or four survivors on the edge begin shrieking in horror, you are completing your roll.

Standing fluidly, gears and mechanical parts inside your True Form eager to serve, you unsling and fire your lasgun in one easy motion, the safety selector switch moving to full auto. In your off hand, your las pistol is drawn, firing in the opposite direction, your fingers jamming the trigger as quick as you can, unloading the clip. Now it is they who are diving, terrified of the frenzy of death that you have created, and they crawl through the still warm organs and fluids of their former friends, on their bellies before you. You aim the lasgun at them, part of your mind noting fires in a semi circle behind them as rubbish ignites, and carbon scoring is scattered in one long arc along the metal of the far wall.

The survivors look up at you hostilely, helpless and furious about it. One makes an effort to speak through a dry mouth, tries again, up to his shoulders in rubbish and debris and offal. His face is a mess of blood, injury, and hate, and he meets your eyes unrepentantly.
“You may have used terror weapons, machine, but we will never serve you. We are the Free People!”
You stare him down, still holding the lascarbine with ease. “Why did you try to attack me?”
“Do you test our faith? We spit on your lies, machine!”
“Why do you keep calling me that?”
“You have submitted to the will of metal! You worship the false gods of iron!”

At that, you fire the lascarbine again, roasting the organs near him and starting a small fire on his robes. He wilfully ignores it in his loathing of you. Replying, you say “The Omnnisiah is an aspect of the God-Emperor.”
”Lies! False lies!”
“What is “it”? What are you guarding?”
“You’ll never have it!”
“Have what?”
“Ha! You can’t even bear to speak its name!”
Thinking quickly, you make a show of shuddering. Their spirits appear to bolster at this, all four speaking among themselves before one speaks again.
“Ha! Its powers remain over you, machine! It is a relic, a bone fragment of the High Marshall, he who overthrew the reign of Iron Men on our world! Machines will never rule us again!"

A Well, theres nothing here. Leave them here and check out the relic merchant.

B As above, but shoot them in the head before you go. Examples must be made.

C A relic of millennia ago? Its worth it to find out where they have it and liberate it

D Intimidate. They will serve the Machine as a sacrifice, or the Machine shall devour their families.

E Something Else

I know that the style of Dark Heresy is supposed to be grimdark dying horribly, but I can’t stop writing John Woo scripts :negative:

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 24, 2014