Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Ah okay, yeah I figured this was more of a sure thing pickup.

It has decent ratings despite the problems.

I hope similar to Vikings or Defiance another season will hopefully fix all the annoying weak spots in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just binged through this show up to episode 9 when they reveal the face of the master. I've been enjoying the show so far. It's okay, not great but definitely entertaining

However, the Masters face looked dumb as gently caress lol. It looked kind of okay from the side but from the front it actually made me laugh out loud. I hope they keep him mostly hooded

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
They had a Twilight movie on right before the Strain and that confused the gently caress out of me before the credits started rolling. Who are these goofy looking fuckers? Why do they have noses? Oh, not The Strain yet.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I love you can hear the insanity in the background. Just make sure not to show any of it

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Some of these vampire vs. protagonist scenes stretch the believability that they wouldn't be infected by even a single worm. Like you'd think that in that struggle, at least one of the worms would have gotten Gus.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

frgildan posted:

I love you can hear the insanity in the background. Just make sure not to show any of it

That would cost thousands of dollars!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Stink Billyums posted:

That would cost thousands of dollars!

I'm picturing one poor overworked sound guy crying every time a new episode is dropped off.

CVagts posted:

Some of these vampire vs. protagonist scenes stretch the believability that they wouldn't be infected by even a single worm. Like you'd think that in that struggle, at least one of the worms would have gotten Gus.

Also the brother was standing in what looked like direct sunlight.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

frgildan posted:

Also the brother was standing in what looked like direct sunlight.

A window probably stopped that but yeah you could get the plague from standing that close to a rat and that's just a common flea, we've seen the worms jump farther than that

EDIT: Are we really wasting time on this?

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Poor Gus :(

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
How about some more crazy old bat yelling at people and bothering the annoying kid? This is off to a riveting start.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

sleepy.eyes posted:

How about some more crazy old bat yelling at people and bothering the annoying kid? This is off to a riveting start.

It's actually accurate to the book. It's a case of you being willing to cut the dead weight to survive and lose your humanity, or carry the weak and risk survival.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Psyker posted:

It's actually accurate to the book. It's a case of you being willing to cut the dead weight to survive and lose your humanity, or carry the weak and risk survival.

Sure but leaving your most vulnerable behind unprotected seems pretty callous. The old lady has been steadily losing her poo poo and her daughter seemed to feel it would make her look weak to stay behind when it would have been the most rational choice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Great kill there Gus. :ese:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
If it goes by the books, we MIGHT be seeing our friends soon! Based on where we are with Gus right now.

Also, I started watching House of Cards, which makes the terrible wig even worse. I'd trust Russo on a coke and booze bender to handle the strigoi better than Eph at this point

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

This is so gloriously dumb.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Way to warn them, rear end in a top hat. That kid is the worst.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Now that we have yet another badass vampire hunter in the ranks, Eph and his family can gently caress off forever.

Edit: I'm going to be very disappointed if Eph following the voice doesn't end with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnp6iC_QUc

hcreight fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 22, 2014

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Well at least we know which parent the kid gets it from.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Sweet Jesus, it is impossible to take that face seriously.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I can't un-see Batboy now that someone has mentioned it. So bad.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
"I GOT YOUR CIGARETTES andalsogottwopeoplekilled, BUT CIGARETTES!"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Well, that was unsatisfying. On the other hand, SWAT dudes next time.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

LET ME GO
LET ME GO RUN INTO THIS PIT OF HUNDREDS OF VAMPIRES
LET ME GIJAHSFJKASHFAHSAAARGHHHH

At least SWAT/The Ancients are back next week

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
That was really frustrating having read the books and knowing that stupid kid isn't gonna die This is like the annoying kid in Terminator 2 all over again.

The Master does kind of look like he came out of Never Ending Story.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MentholsNBeer posted:

That was really frustrating having read the books and knowing that stupid kid isn't gonna die This is like the annoying kid in Terminator 2 all over again.

The Master does kind of look like he came out of Never Ending Story.

The TV version of Game of Thrones isn't 100% beholden to the books; let's hope that The Strain isn't, either.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

I can't un-see Batboy now that someone has mentioned it. So bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Vassily continues to be the best. The smirk on his face after the UV light bomb scared off the master was hilarious.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Master's face was so hilariously not intimidating.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey Eph, you know what is a good idea, running towards the disembodied voice of your wife in a vampire infested hellhole.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

Vassily continues to be the best. The smirk on his face after the UV light bomb scared off the master was hilarious.

The preceding sequence at the beginning of the episode was also great. :allears:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Scenes of borderline autistic kid and senile mom are so terrible they grace the farcical. Expected the cell phone to ring in the tunnels giving Eph away from that stupid kid, was pleasantly surprised it didn't pull that one out. Recreated a scene from Aliens including the hair and lighting looking almost identical. I can appreciate the completely otherworldly effect they were going for for the Master and you can't say it's bad special effects even if on a personal level you have trouble taking it seriously. Agreed they really should have done the backstory of the Master previous to them getting in the poo poo with him like that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I could have sworn the master was saying "bringer of men" but according to the on demand subtitles it was "drinker" which makes sense and all

Comic sans makes the whole scene better

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He just looks so ridiculously goofy, like an half-ugly/half-cute cat or something. You can't help but stare.

I need the show to flashback to a point when the Master wore a top hat.

Does the book go into what that necklace is? It's awfully in your face.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 22, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nice to see another Morleys reference.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of weird that multiple people probably saw how stupid looking the masters face was before it aired and no one shut it down. His dumb Halloween hands already kind of ruined the one kind of scary element of the show but that loving prosthetic really took it to the next level.

You can never put the hood back on after that poo poo. As far as I'm concerned the Strain is a pretty entertaining unintentional comedy.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Not sure what the necklace is but it reminds me of the collars by Macabre Gadgets, which are pretty interesting creepy costumey pieces.

I think the worst thing about the masters face is the mouth. It's very comic book Joker.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So when Setrakian finds Eph in the clutches of batboy and draws his Silver Excalibur, he suddenly freezes with some kind of high pitched sound in his head. Is this an instance of the Master's ability to paralyze his prey? If it is, they did a really bad job of setting it up and didn't bother to explain or acknowledge it as a new thing at all.

\vvvvvv edit: and reading this thread is the only way I even knew about it and given how lovely the writing is in this show, I doubt they ever even attempt to explain it

radical meme fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 22, 2014

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

radical meme posted:

So when Setrakian finds Eph in the clutches of batboy and draws his Silver Excalibur, he suddenly freezes with some kind of high pitched sound in his head. Is this an instance of the Master's ability to paralyze his prey? If it is, they did a really bad job of setting it up and didn't bother to explain or acknowledge it as a new thing at all.

Perhaps that's because it was a thing no one knew of before?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Whispering Machines posted:

Yeah sorry guys but we're gonna be hearing about Eph, Kelly, and Zack through book 3. Congrats!

And Kevin Durand is pretty goofy looking and like seven feet tall but then

:stare:

His face looks a bit like Elon Musk. Either that or Musk moonlights as a vampire hunter on TV when he's not busy building spaceships.

Oh and his fake accent is really loving terrible. Are actual Russian-speaking actors THAT hard to find in Hollywood? By comparison, The Americans did a fantastic job with their Russian-speaking cast. And yes, I know that Fet is supposed to be Ukrainian, but the two languages are extremely similar and anyone who grew up under Soviet rule in Ukraine and left before 91 speaks Russian.

Edit: To clarify, a Ukrainian speaking actor would be even better, but from watching The Americans we can see that at the very least there are some Russian speakers working in the TV business.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This show would be so much more enjoyable if about half the characters were outright cut, especially that kid and Alzheimer's mom. The troubles of fatherhood or dealing with dementia in relatives can make for interesting themes for a show to explore, but not for this particular show about Nazi-Worm-Vampires who like making GBS threads where they eat.

• Locked thread