Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Gurumin finally got out of Greenlight! This also means the free game offer is over, but hey, more Falcom games on steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails in the Sky FC: Really loving good. Thanks XSEED/Falcom, it was worth the wait.

E: Regarding the ending twists, I suspected Alba ever since he conveniently saw the Intelligence Division officers enter the tower in Chapter 3, but I figured the twist was that he'd be the identity of the red masked man. So of course they put Alba in the audience of the arena when you fight Lorence so that was squashed. And then bam! Good going, game.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 11, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Nate RFB posted:

Trails in the Sky FC: Really loving good. Thanks XSEED/Falcom, it was worth the wait.

Thanks the goons man!
But yeah, it's really cool seeing Falcom being more open to PC as a platform.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

But yeah, it's really cool seeing Falcom being more open to PC as a platform.
That's more XSEED than Falcom. FC was released on the PC in 2004 after all. They've done a couple of PC ports (Zero no Kiseki in 2013 and Ys I & II in 2009) but their last true PC developed game seems to be Zwei II in 2008. They don't really do PC games anymore :( It'd be nice though if their recent successes with XSEED will sway them a bit back.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I've been playing Ys: Memories of Celceta and I wasn't really feeling it until I started experimenting with weapon upgrades more. Now I'm running around inflicting simultaneous burn, freeze, poison and paralysis on things and it's hilarious.

I still don't think I enjoy this or Seven as much as I did Felghana/Origin/Napishtim. The abundance of healing items really kills the tension in boss fights, but I don't want to go up to higher difficulties because I don't want to have to grind a lot, I just want it to take a bit of practice and skill to take a boss down. Also the music isn't as good :(

I'd love it if Ys 8 went more in the direction of the older games, but I don't know how likely that is.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

I still don't think I enjoy this or Seven as much as I did Felghana/Origin/Napishtim. The abundance of healing items really kills the tension in boss fights, but I don't want to go up to higher difficulties because I don't want to have to grind a lot, I just want it to take a bit of practice and skill to take a boss down. Also the music isn't as good :(

Yeah id like it if it went back to being more actiony. The healing items and slower combat didn't do it for me.

Nor did the lack ripping guitar solos.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Suaimhneas posted:

I still don't think I enjoy this or Seven as much as I did Felghana/Origin/Napishtim.

Haven't played memories, just 7, but I generally agree. I prefer the smaller scoped games that are basically action games with tiny bits of rpg elements like origins.

Ys 7 went full on jrpg with story, items, abilities, etc. I see why that would be appealing and I did actually enjoy Ys 7 and think its a really good game. Overall, though, I think I prefer the plain focused action games over the larger rpg elements.

My perception might be skewed since I played felghana and origins before any of the others.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The slower combat too, yeah. I don't know who could've played the Napishtim-engine games and thought "what this series really needs is a mechanic that encourages you to wait a while between attacks" :psyduck:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like that Falcom is willing to shake things up in their franchise from time to time, otherwise we would still be using bump controls (interesting as they are). But the party & healing item extravaganza approach just makes it all too easy. It's been a fun little experiment but I'm hankering to going back to swearing at the screen multiple times during every boss fight. Oath and Origin are still my ideal Ys games.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, we've established that the only way for Third Chapter to be localised is for FC & SC to do really well.

And by really well, I mean "Trails in the Sky being the franchise that brings in the most money for Marvellous this financial year". :v:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you somehow manage to release it before the Winter Sale, having a TiTS bundle go up on Steam's frontpage for a small discount would clinch the deal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Delusibeta posted:

So, we've established that the only way for Third Chapter to be localised is for FC & SC to do really well.

3rd Chapter really is pointless without the next trilogy at least.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

If you somehow manage to release it before the Winter Sale, having a TiTS bundle go up on Steam's frontpage for a small discount would clinch the deal.

And then you can make the tagline "save now on a pair of sweet Tits"

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Mokinokaro posted:

3rd Chapter really is pointless without the next trilogy at least.

Hence the second sentence of my post. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was listening to the Ys IV Perfect Collection and was a bit surprised to find out that many of Celceta's tracks did in fact originate from Dawn of Ys. Well I guess it should have been sort of obvious when one of the tracks in Celceta's soundtrack is literally "The Dawn of Ys". So despite Mask of the Sun being the canon game Falcom wrote music for Dawn instead? Or they just re-used the tracks across both games?

That said I couldn't seem to track down the Dawn equivalents of "Seeking the Vanished Mask" and "Iris"; were they new for Celceta or do I just have bad hearing?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wouldn't know anything about what Celceta was trying to remake, but I did finish the game last week and was a bit underwhelmed at the ending(?). I think I had extremely high expectations coming off of Ys Origin, but I could really tell that Celceta was another game for another age with different focuses in production values. It was certainly a game, yes, but if I had picked it up first instead of any of the PC titles I probably would not have given a second drat about Falcom last month compared to how I still would now.

Now to get back to Felghana!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Celceta's ending is extremely abrupt compared to Ys7's actually, it's really weird. "One step forward and two steps back" pretty much describes every game in the series since Felghana though.

Though I think I actually like Celceta better than 7 despite it's numerous issues.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

I was listening to the Ys IV Perfect Collection and was a bit surprised to find out that many of Celceta's tracks did in fact originate from Dawn of Ys. Well I guess it should have been sort of obvious when one of the tracks in Celceta's soundtrack is literally "The Dawn of Ys". So despite Mask of the Sun being the canon game Falcom wrote music for Dawn instead? Or they just re-used the tracks across both games?

That said I couldn't seem to track down the Dawn equivalents of "Seeking the Vanished Mask" and "Iris"; were they new for Celceta or do I just have bad hearing?

Most of the tracks used in Memories are remakes of tracks from the original Ys IV titles. Almost all of these are done by Falcom Sound Team JDK. The new tracks like the ones you mentioned and "Black Wings" were almost all done by different artists that also did music for prior Falcom titles, like Yukihiro Jindo and some that have worked on the more recent LoH games.

The remade tracks are honestly pretty disappointing compared to Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements for Dawn of Ys but hey they'll do.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I've only just beaten Ys 1/2 on the DS and Napishtim on the ps2 thanks to finding this thread. Glad I did though. They were really enjoyable, even with the pretty bad english dub on napishtim, the dungeons and bosses were really fun. I like a bit of challenge, but neither were unforgivably difficult at any point. I got the other one on steam, Felghana but I haven't started it yet. It'll probably be up next though.

Jimmybob fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 19, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A bit late now that you've finished it, but you can turn on the Japanese voices in Napishtim if you enable "PC Mode" with the cheats. I think it gives you the anime cutscenes too instead of the super ugly CG ones.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nate RFB posted:

A bit late now that you've finished it, but you can turn on the Japanese voices in Napishtim if you enable "PC Mode" with the cheats. I think it gives you the anime cutscenes too instead of the super ugly CG ones.

This just motivated me to dust off my PS2 and grab a copy of Napishtim. :japan:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J21cNGXUI_A

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

That is... A very strange looking violin! Yay JDK Band, though :dance:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I agree that Ys Memories had an abrupt ending but I wasn't nearly as bothered as many people here..I mean do you really give a poo poo about Who Is Adol or uncovering the "rich" history of the forest?

I haven't played earlier Ys games but I thought Seven and Memories were generic saturday morning cartoon drivel. Everything about the human characters (the dialogue, the "twists", the tropes ) is just lame.

It's okay though because I played it for the exploration and combat, especially the bosses. I had a lot of fun upgrading my gear, learning to flash guard/dodge new bosses, and getting my poo poo pushed in whenever I got sloppy and tried to button mash through waves of enemies.

Also the monster designs were pretty cool and having party members with different skill sets was too much fun. I hear there's a lot of dislike for the party system from classic fans, though. I might just have to try an older Ys game to see what's up but as general aRPG's, Seven and Memories were very solid games. Their respective plots on the other hand, wasn't necessary at all as it didn't do anything for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that Seven has, for better or worse, the most plot of any Ys game. That combined with the first attempt at a party-based Ys game probably makes it my least favorite overall besides obvious entries like Ys V. That said did Celceta really have any sort of plot to complain about it? I found it to be pretty light and simplistic, just explore forest, bad dudes show up, kill bad dudes, game ends. It's not like a Tales of game where you have to constantly fight to prevent your eyes rolling out of their sockets.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, I stumbled onto Cake Attack's LP of Trails a while ago, but found myself so charmed by the game that I resolved to ignore the LP until I could play the game myself.

Then I forgot to check Steam for a couple of months. I discovered the game was out about a week ago, bought and played the crap out of it.

Game is amazing, several plot twists blew my mind and I can't wait for the sequel.

Go on with Good Cheer and Silver Will are now among my favorite pieces of video game music.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
It'd be nice if Trails wasn't so overwrought with missables. That's the only thing keeping me from playing it to completion.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

Slur posted:

It'd be nice if Trails wasn't so overwrought with missables. That's the only thing keeping me from playing it to completion.

Do what I did. Keep frequent saves (you get 1000 slots), and follow along with Cake Attack's LP so if you miss some stuff you can go back and get it with little fuss.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do what I did. Keep frequent saves (you get 1000 slots), and follow along with Cake Attack's LP so if you miss some stuff you can go back and get it with little fuss.

Did you know the the PS Vita (and I assume the PSP) has a limit of 100 saves? I actually ran out when playing Trails SC...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I would say that Seven has, for better or worse, the most plot of any Ys game. That combined with the first attempt at a party-based Ys game probably makes it my least favorite overall besides obvious entries like Ys V. That said did Celceta really have any sort of plot to complain about it? I found it to be pretty light and simplistic, just explore forest, bad dudes show up, kill bad dudes, game ends. It's not like a Tales of game where you have to constantly fight to prevent your eyes rolling out of their sockets.

If you didn't have to stop your eyes from rolling out on to the floor at the whole Leeza fight section I don't know what to say to you, you must have just blanked it out of your memory or something. She just storms in, says she's taking the mask, refuses to explain herself and then fights you instead. You win the boss fight and then immediately lose in the cutscene following it anyway! Why did you even have to win the boss fight??

Leeza is a pretty awful and unlikable character in general, Calilica isn't really much better, Ozma and Frieda just aren't interesting in any way at all, none of the villains are interesting or compelling or even fun. I'm not saying it's worse than Ys7, but drat if it wasn't trying in places.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Has a Ys game ever featured interesting villains? They're just stand-ins for getting slashed to pieces and/or great boss music to me. I guess the Leeza stuff was kind of dumb but it's the hardly the first time it's fairly obvious that a character is unwittingly helping the villains despite it being blatantly obvious they were doing so (collecting the statues in Ys III, whatever you had to collect in Ys V).

I guess it's really just white noise to me in Celceta, whereas it seemed more inextricably tied into what was going on in Seven.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chester's fashion sense was interesting, does that count?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

Tamba posted:

Did you know the the PS Vita (and I assume the PSP) has a limit of 100 saves? I actually ran out when playing Trails SC...

So save according to the limits of your particular device. You actually don't need more than two or three saves for the suggested approach anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Has a Ys game ever featured interesting villains? They're just stand-ins for getting slashed to pieces and/or great boss music to me. I guess the Leeza stuff was kind of dumb but it's the hardly the first time it's fairly obvious that a character is unwittingly helping the villains despite it being blatantly obvious they were doing so (collecting the statues in Ys III, whatever you had to collect in Ys V).

I guess it's really just white noise to me in Celceta, whereas it seemed more inextricably tied into what was going on in Seven.

Well, maybe not 'interesting', but most of the Ys villains are at least fun or likable or have decent designs or something. I don't even remember what the final boss of Celceta looked like. (Also doesn't help he's like, one of the absolute easiest bosses in the game)

And yeah you're definitely right they reuse the 'helping the villain despite it being painfully obvious' thing all the time, it's just become more and more of an issue because they seem to be trying to continuously increase the amount of story and writing in the series and the quality has, if anything, gotten worse over time. Leeza's bit is just extra stupid because the whole arc happens within like 5 minutes and even some random NPC you have along with you at the time is like, "You know that's a real bad idea why don't we at least talk about it first."

For me, Seven's story was more just thoroughly mediocre throughout with an extra terrible plot twist, where as Celceta's was generally okay but with occasions of extreme awfulness.

I actually really liked the baby Adol bits from Celceta though, they were adorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Now that I think about it I think my ability to remember any non-Adol/Dogi character is directly related to whether they have music named after them. Chester, Ernst, Lilia, and Feena are OK; everyone in your previous post I wouldn't have remembered if you hadn't named them already. I sure as hell can't remember anyone from Seven, it's just wild child, blind girl, sick girl with hammer, archer princess, halberd guy from Ys VI, etc.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, this sounds like the ideal way to play a video game for the first time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you've got to get with the times, no one plays video games anymore.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

Wendell posted:

Yes, this sounds like the ideal way to play a video game for the first time.

Please, tell us more about how we're playing video games all wrong.

The guy I was replying to was complaining about how he didn't want to play because he was afraid of missing stuff. So sorry for offering a suggestion. Miss stuff, don't miss stuff, play however the gently caress you want who cares

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nah, I think I've told you enough about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Chester's fashion sense was interesting, does that count?

Chester had a bitchin theme song, he's a good character in my book.

• Locked thread