Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was hoping that they'd picked Black Mask because they had an interesting idea for something to do with him (as happened with Calendar Man, Clock King and Mister Freeze at various points in the franchise).

I don't care what anyone thinks, Batman and Robin's Mr Freeze is stuck in my head. Seeing this version of him was such a goddamn mindfuck as I'm so used to, well...you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Black Mask is just the mob boss gangster stereotype taken to the extreme. Here's a pretty good clip of him from Under the Red Hood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4QX6iqZlQ

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, so Black Mask is a snuff enthusiast. Got it. :v:

Also, I have a feeling the unlock system was intended to be something you strive for over several playthroughs (NG, NG+, Dark Knight) but I can see why it annoys people. The predator system is really annoying because you don't know if you've fulfilled its criteria until after the auto save has kicked in.

I don't necessarily mind it being something you earn over multiple playthroughs, what I dislike is that some of it is so goddamn specific that you can only do it at like 2 points during the game. If it were stuff like "Do 100 inverted takedowns", that'd at least be okay because it's something I can work toward as I go along. The system as it is just makes it so I basically HAVE to follow along with a guide, because otherwise I'm gonna be running around every encounter area trying to see if a vent takedown is even possible.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I like Origins more than I liked the other two video game Batmen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crappy Jack posted:

I don't necessarily mind it being something you earn over multiple playthroughs, what I dislike is that some of it is so goddamn specific that you can only do it at like 2 points during the game. If it were stuff like "Do 100 inverted takedowns", that'd at least be okay because it's something I can work toward as I go along. The system as it is just makes it so I basically HAVE to follow along with a guide, because otherwise I'm gonna be running around every encounter area trying to see if a vent takedown is even possible.
They could have solved the problems by having a checklist instead of a linear progression (so you don't have to find a Crime in each district after you've done a dozen of them already), and by having the Predator rooms repopulate in the post-game sequence.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I like Origins more than I liked the other two video game Batmen.

You're a weirdo, but it's still a really good game so I can't be too baffled as to this opinion.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I actually found AR Training to be a lot easier in Arkham Origins than it was in City.

Same. The AR stuff in Origins is actually doable in two or three retries for even particularly hard ones. In City the advanced AR drills (which had 0 reward aside from completion percentage, by the way, so another thing in origins favor for them) were AWFUL. One of them took me about 10 tries to get right, and even then I just barely did it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think you got the Batwing trophy in City for doing all the AR stuff.

The Origins ones were definitely easier without being trivial though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

kalonZombie posted:

Same. The AR stuff in Origins is actually doable in two or three retries for even particularly hard ones. In City the advanced AR drills (which had 0 reward aside from completion percentage, by the way, so another thing in origins favor for them) were AWFUL. One of them took me about 10 tries to get right, and even then I just barely did it.

Y'see, somehow I found the AC drills easier than the ones in AO, and the fact that they were entirely optional was something I prefer since I could just ignore them after getting the grapnel boost, so its not really something in AO's favor to briefly turn the game into batman 64.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Y'see, somehow I found the AC drills easier than the ones in AO, and the fact that they were entirely optional was something I prefer since I could just ignore them after getting the grapnel boost, so its not really something in AO's favor to briefly turn the game into batman 64.

I think the last (and hardest) set in AO were completely optional too. The other two unlocked an upgrade you got in the Gotham Knight tree, and the they were easy enough to do in the first try.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I keep trying to play New Game Plus in Arkham City but it keeps forcing me to sit through this awful plot that I just saw in regular New Game. I keep turning the game off after 15 minutes.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I keep trying to play New Game Plus in Arkham City but it keeps forcing me to sit through this awful plot that I just saw in regular New Game. I keep turning the game off after 15 minutes.

It's the same thing, just with harder enemies and no counter cue floating over goon's heads. Totally worth it. :shepface:

I did play through it since the plot of AC really doesn't bother me as much as it does for other people in this thread.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mogomra posted:

It's the same thing, just with harder enemies and no counter cue floating over goon's heads. Totally worth it. :shepface:

I did play through it since the plot of AC really doesn't bother me as much as it does for other people in this thread.

The best part of a NG+ run is having already collected all the Riddler trophies, so he goes from "You can't possibly stop me, Batman" to "What are you? How are you defeating my traps?!?!" in the space of about ten minutes.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I actually prefer the NG+ difficulty for Arkham City. I feel like such a loving badass when I do well in it.

Crappy Jack posted:

The best part of a NG+ run is having already collected all the Riddler trophies, so he goes from "You can't possibly stop me, Batman" to "What are you? How are you defeating my traps?!?!" in the space of about ten minutes.

There is also this.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

See that's the least fun part about NG+ to me. Well, not Riddler having a conniption fit, but that there's no riddles or trophies to get. So there's nothing I can do around the city to distract me from the plot. You just have to pound straight through the storyline and the story doesn't really hold up to that kind of continuous attention.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think anyone really cares for Black Mask - I'm just so goddamn tired of the joker being behind every thing in every Arkham game.

More than the graphical upgrade or the batmobile or any other crazy addition, I'm just hoping that Arkham Knight keeps the fucker good and buried.

Batman's rogue gallery is so incredibly deep with the best "bench" in comics, but Arkham takes its cues from the most slovenly of Batman fans. "Surprise, it was the joker all along!" Hur hur hur.

Origins handles the joker stuff well for what it is, but it so thoroughly kicks everything else to the side.

Still better than Arkham City completely dropping the ball with Hugo Strange. They give him this incredible introduction (hauling away Bruce Wayne) and litter the game world with recordings that really display what an amazing bastard he is. And then City proceeds to completely forget about him, to the point where he's entirely ancillary to the actual climax of the game - both the stuff at the tower and then the wrap-up in the theater.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You can skip almost everything by mashing the left and right mouse buttons. I assume it's the same on consoles.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Narcissus1916 posted:

Still better than Arkham City completely dropping the ball with Hugo Strange. They give him this incredible introduction (hauling away Bruce Wayne) and litter the game world with recordings that really display what an amazing bastard he is. And then City proceeds to completely forget about him, to the point where he's entirely ancillary to the actual climax of the game - both the stuff at the tower and then the wrap-up in the theater.

Strange makes this big deal about how he's going to reveal Batman's identity if Batman tries to stop him. Only, Batman immediately tries to stop him, makes no effort to hide it, and Strange just never bothers to make good on his threat.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was hoping that they'd picked Black Mask because they had an interesting idea for something to do with him (as happened with Calendar Man, Clock King and Mister Freeze at various points in the franchise).

Where was Clock King? I don't remember him in the games, unless maybe it was in a riddle solution.

Edit: Yes, Strange giving up blackmailing Batman was a let down, but at least he still did a lot. It's nothing compared to the shafting Two Face got. He's one of my favorites, and the promos made it sound like he was a big deal, but he was really more Catwoman's foe. Batman only saw him once, and aside from randomly running into his goons he had no impact on the game.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 22, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I hope Arkham Knight brings up Condiment King at some point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Where was Clock King? I don't remember him in the games, unless maybe it was in a riddle solution.

I mean in the Batman franchise in general; those three were all gimmicky joke characters at one point, and got turned into something capable of being used seriously (well, as seriously as anything else in Batman).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

kalonZombie posted:

I hope Arkham Knight brings up Condiment King at some point.

While I relish the thought, I'm not sure he'd cut the mustard in this series. Batman is now well established, so it'd be hard for a new guy to catch up. Let us hope they can find some new layers by peeling back the onion of his character. Mayonnaise.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Perhaps Condiment King can have his own sidekick; Sir Racha, a Thai lad sworn to uphold the code of chivialry.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Change this gimmick up

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kewpuh posted:

Change this gimmick up

olo

EDIT: lᴼl

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 22, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
He can just spell it backwards. I will admit that it was pretty funny at first.

My biggest pet peeve with Origins was the Penguin subplot. It just ends. I guess it is continued in Cold Cold Heart, but the Falcone thing goes nowhere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Falcone thing sounds like he's turning into a villain I'm supposed to know, considering where his Enigma tapes go. But whoops, they neglected to have anything about that in this game and I seriously doubt we'll get an Origins sequel to expand on anything ever.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Falcone thing sounds like he's turning into a villain I'm supposed to know, considering where his Enigma tapes go. But whoops, they neglected to have anything about that in this game and I seriously doubt we'll get an Origins sequel to expand on anything ever.

Why? Why wouldn't they just make some other Origins game after Arkham Knight unless AK doesn't sell?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Why? Why wouldn't they just make some other Origins game after Arkham Knight unless AK doesn't sell?

Well, Origins was a stop-gap title to keep people interested in the time between City and whatever the next Rocksteady game was going to be. Yeah, maybe they'll just hand the Knight engine over to WB Montreal to make another game with, but it doesn't seem likely to me since I'm fairly certain Rocksteady has said Knight is the last one of these they intend to make.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's very likely they're going to branch out into other WB IPs. Shadow of Mordor is straight-up a Batman game, built on the Batman engine, with Batman-like mechanics tied to some new stuff which helps make it stand out on its own. We'll probably see a lot more of that if SoM does well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

It's very likely they're going to branch out into other WB IPs. Shadow of Mordor is straight-up a Batman game, built on the Batman engine, with Batman-like mechanics tied to some new stuff which helps make it stand out on its own. We'll probably see a lot more of that if SoM does well.

I thought it was an Assassin's Creed game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I thought it was an Assassin's Creed game.

No. It's Batman. Like it is literally built on the Batman engine. It has the almost the exact same combat system, a nearly-identical predator system and carries over a bunch of Batman mechanics, including things like Detective Vision, glowing green guys you beat up for information, combat takedowns that you build up by filling your combat multiplier, ect. I've played it and it plays very much like Arkham, although it has a lot of little changes to compensate for different things.

Seriously, if you like Arkham, give it a look. It is straight-up Arkham-style gameplay through and through.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No. It's Batman. Like it is literally built on the Batman engine. It has the almost the exact same combat system, a nearly-identical predator system and carries over a bunch of Batman mechanics, including things like Detective Vision, glowing green guys you beat up for information, combat takedowns that you build up by filling your combat multiplier, ect. I've played it and it plays very much like Arkham, although it has a lot of little changes to compensate for different things.

Seriously, if you like Arkham, give it a look. It is straight-up Arkham-style gameplay through and through.

Do you get ringwraitharangs?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

including things like Detective Vision

Oh my god.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

He can just spell it backwards. I will admit that it was pretty funny at first.

My biggest pet peeve with Origins was the Penguin subplot. It just ends. I guess it is continued in Cold Cold Heart, but the Falcone thing goes nowhere.

Don't worry, Penguin is in the Blackgate game. :shepface:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

lmao

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

No. It's Batman.

I haven't been keeping up on the news for Shadows of Mordor, and the first (and last and only) thing I ever heard about it was an animator from Ubisoft claiming that all of the hero's animations were direct rip-offs from the ones he'd worked on for Assassin's Creed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Monolith was also working on a Dark Knight Rises game before it got canned. The rumour is that they recycled assets from it into SoM.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I haven't been keeping up on the news for Shadows of Mordor, and the first (and last and only) thing I ever heard about it was an animator from Ubisoft claiming that all of the hero's animations were direct rip-offs from the ones he'd worked on for Assassin's Creed.

The only similarity I can see in Assassin's Creed to Shadow of Mordor is that you have targets and you must assassinate them. So uh...

But I've seen gameplay of it. It's an Arkham game, but instead of breaking dudes' arms and legs you're chopping them off instead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's one of several hanging plot threads that make me suspect the first version of the game's plot was going to be a lot closer to long halloween, or that an additional long halloween DLC was planned, then canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Russad posted:

Do you get ringwraitharangs?

You get throwing daggers, including an upgrade that gives you triple throwing daggers.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, that animator was straight-up mistaken. They're recycling stuff here but it is unashamedly Batman stuff.

However the Nemesis System is crazy-cool and I am legitimately sad it won't be in Arkham Knight because it would be amazing in a Batman game.

• Locked thread