Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

NFL Gameday highly recommended. Been streaming the first regular season in full 1080p (Airplay to TV via iPad app) without a single stutter all night. Also, it appears to be a direct stream of the NBC feed. Pretty great.

Thanks for the heads up on using this over Sunday Ticket :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I'm inheriting a 27" Samsung monitor, that I'll be using with my Macbook Air. Is there a USB/Firewire TV tuner that I can buy that'll support this setup, and I can hook up a digital antenna to?

I rarely watch TV, but I do like it for PBS and sports. I'd rather invest in an external tuner, instead of a separate TV. I also don't play video games, really, so I don't need a separate TV for that, either.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 5, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm inheriting a 27" Samsung monitor, that I'll be using with my Macbook Air. Is there a USB/Firewire TV tuner that I can buy that'll support this setup, and I can hook up a digital antenna to?

I rarely watch TV, but I do like it for PBS and sports. I'd rather invest in an external tuner, instead of a separate TV. I also don't play video games, really, so I don't need a separate TV for that, either.

You want a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Plus ethernet tuner. The HDHR Dual is the cheaper OTA ATSC tuner they sell that doesn't have hardware H.264 encoding like the Plus. H.264 should reduce the stream bitrate which will help with WiFi connected devices. This will allow you to watch TV on your MacBook, iOS and Android devices, and DLNA enabled devices like TVs and XBoxes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

goku chewbacca posted:

You want a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Plus ethernet tuner. The HDHR Dual is the cheaper OTA ATSC tuner they sell that doesn't have hardware H.264 encoding like the Plus. H.264 should reduce the stream bitrate which will help with WiFi connected devices. This will allow you to watch TV on your MacBook, iOS and Android devices, and DLNA enabled devices like TVs and XBoxes.
Why does this no longer support ClearQAM

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does this no longer support ClearQAM

The Plus and the Dual both support cable ClearQAM along with ATSC.
http://www.silicondust.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/premise/large-files/comparison_guide4_2014.pdf

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

goku chewbacca posted:

That looks *perfect*. Thank you!!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just ordered a second USB tuner so I can record multiple shows at the same time. I'm using WMC under Win7 and have had no problems with it so far (using a single tuner), but was wondering if there was any other watching/recording software for windows that is recommended? My biggest beef with WMC is recording shows "off the grid" (mainly sporting events) where they extend beyond or start after their scheduled time, but I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

Also, when I was looking through tuners on newegg, I noticed some have built-in FM tuners. Would those be accessible through WMC?

e: Third question, I'm going to need to split my signal to use both tuners, but the signal coming in is already fairly weak (antennas on the roof connect to the basement where it's amplified and split ~12 ways to go to every room in the house). Where's a good place to look for an amplified splitter (or just an amplifier, since I already have the splitter)? I'm also in a market where there's still a bunch of OTA stations broadcasting on VHF, so any amplifier/band-shaper would need to include VHF channels as well.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I have a question about speed...I read through the first 3 pages of the thread and saw folks talking about it, but that was back in 2012 and for all I know the game has changed. I have Comcast and lack any technical know-how to do a lot of the hacks people are discussing here. This morning I called and asked basically just to cut the TV and keep the high-speed internet service. The guy quoted me $76/month (including modem) for 50 mbps. I don't game or anything, but I stream Netflix through my Blu-Ray player and occasionally rent/download TV episodes. Am I really going to need 50 mbps (which of course he said I would)? The next step down is 20 mbps and that's $64/month. AT&T is offering a comparable deal (18 mbps) at $45, so I'd like to try some bargaining, if that speed is sufficient. I'm guessing it will be fine but I just wanted to check. Can't wait to cut my bill as much as possible :woop:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Gaming is not bandwidth intensive so it really only becomes an issue if you have enough people using the internet at once to cause packet delays. It sounds like it's just you which means 20 Mbps is probably more than adequate (Netflix is what, 6 Mbps on Super HD?).

That being said, I have been very spoiled by 100 Mbps downloads, even though relatively few things can take advantage of it :v:

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are two netflix users on my 10mb/s connection and it is fine. Netflix + youtube will cause a few seconds of buffering at the beginning of youtube videos.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ClearQAM is just about as useful as NTSC at this point, even the smaller cable companies like charter are rolling out fully encrypted QAM. Another year or so and it will be useless.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Blue Scream posted:

AT&T is offering a comparable deal (18 mbps) at $45, so I'd like to try some bargaining, if that speed is sufficient. I'm guessing it will be fine but I just wanted to check. Can't wait to cut my bill as much as possible :woop:

There's a new promo where you can get a year of Amazon Prime with U-verse internet.

edit: and it also comes with HBO GO

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 22, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Scream posted:

Am I really going to need 50 mbps (which of course he said I would)? The next step down is 20 mbps and that's $64/month. AT&T is offering a comparable deal (18 mbps) at $45, so I'd like to try some bargaining, if that speed is sufficient. I'm guessing it will be fine but I just wanted to check. Can't wait to cut my bill as much as possible :woop:

No, the 20Mbps is fine if you wanted to save a little. Also, the AT&T is probably 18Mb downstream but with a very paltry upstream.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
20 Mbps is fine but I pay $60 a month for my 50mbps from Comcast... Where do you live?

And that's the raised price after paying 40 a month for 6 months..

Edit: threaten to walk, citing what I just told you. That's completely ridiculous.

Also buy your own modem

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 23, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

20 Mbps is fine but I pay $60 a month for my 50mbps from Comcast... Where do you live?

Edit: threaten to walk, citing what I just told you. That's completely ridiculous.

Also buy your own modem

Yeah, seriously, you can get a much better deal. If you don't want to do it yourself there's a SA-Mart thread where a guy is doing it for 50% of the savings he gets you.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Mighty Horse posted:

ClearQAM is just about as useful as NTSC at this point, even the smaller cable companies like charter are rolling out fully encrypted QAM. Another year or so and it will be useless.

I know. I'm a little bummed that my HDHomerun Prime can't be used for ATSC if I decide to ditch the cablecard.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zogo posted:

No, the 20Mbps is fine if you wanted to save a little. Also, the AT&T is probably 18Mb downstream but with a very paltry upstream.

AT&T is probably not 18 unless you live right next to the node with new lines or have fiber to your house, I have never, ever heard of anyone getting close to the advertised U-Verse speeds in most cases. I just switched my dad from DSL to cable and he was getting a little over 1 Mbps instead of the 6 Mbps he had signed up for.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm in the Chicago area and it's basically the same rate (with a leased modem) that Blue Scream mentioned.

Three Olives posted:

AT&T is probably not 18 unless you live right next to the node with new lines or have fiber to your house, I have never, ever heard of anyone getting close to the advertised U-Verse speeds in most cases. I just switched my dad from DSL to cable and he was getting a little over 1 Mbps instead of the 6 Mbps he had signed up for.

Yea, I guess that's not surprising. I remember there being some class-action lawsuit in the last decade that my parents got a check for because the company was being deceptive about that stuff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zogo posted:

I'm in the Chicago area and it's basically the same rate (with a leased modem) that Blue Scream mentioned.

Yea, I guess that's not surprising. I remember there being some class-action lawsuit in the last decade that my parents got a check for because the company was being deceptive about that stuff.

Everyone I know in Chicago that was with AT&T ended up switching to Comcast, anecdotal, but I never talked to anyone who had a good experience when I lived there.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Gozinbulx posted:

Also buy your own modem

I live just north of Atlanta. I just cut cable a few days ago, I'm wondering if they would take me seriously if I called again and threatened to walk. (Edit: I checked the site, and they were offering existing customers a "deal" of $55/month on 20 mbps...if you packaged it with TV for more money.) Thanks for the tip about the goon doing it for cheaper.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Blue Scream posted:

I live just north of Atlanta. I just cut cable a few days ago, I'm wondering if they would take me seriously if I called again and threatened to walk. (Edit: I checked the site, and they were offering existing customers a "deal" of $55/month on 20 mbps...if you packaged it with TV for more money.) Thanks for the tip about the goon doing it for cheaper.

If they say no, cancel. You are paying way too much. Also the burbs of Atlanta or whatever shouldn't be more expensive than where I am (Miami).

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
For all it's worth here in southern Illinois I pay $69.95 month for my 20 mbps. I can't complain TOO MUCH though because my original 12 month $19.95/month price for whatever reason stayed in effect for about 6 years before bumping to the $69.95 it is now.

VVV Same exact hardware setup here, and mine is Mediacom.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I currently have Comcast for my "cable" provider but the only service I get from them is internet. I pay $74.99 a month for 110MBs/50MBs so i really cant complain. I have yet to have my rates changed and have had the service for about 16 months at this point. I rent my modem, but us my trusty old Linksys WTR54GS route. It's only 54MBs for the Wifi but I have yet to see any lag when streaming or downloading. I'm not on a promotion of any sort as far as I know and recommend them to other until they screw me over then i will steer people away from them.

I mostly watch shows you youtube for the time being until I am done with school and start a "real" job. but would be interested in any free options that are out there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I dunno if I'm just late to the party or not, but Pluto.tv on the Fire TV has been a good replacement for just random background TV/channel flipping.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
So FXNOW is available on Apple TV now and after one episode of Sons of Anarchy, holy poo poo I think there are more ads watching on the app over live TV.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah, seriously, you can get a much better deal. If you don't want to do it yourself there's a SA-Mart thread where a guy is doing it for 50% of the savings he gets you.

That thread bugged me so much. If you guys are looking to cut cable don't pay a goon to do it for you. That cuts into your savings. Just call Comcast up and ask for a better deal, it really isn't hard or embarrassing. If you get someone who isn't helping you out just hang up and try again. Don't threaten to cancel immediately. Just being honest and say you aren't happy with the price. It make take 30 minutes of your day but everyone can spare watching that new Anime or Hannibal episode.

Full disclosure I work in marketing research. I have done work with Comcast in the past and you cable cutters are finally a threat to them. But that threat isn't felt by the lonely call center dude so just relate to him and be up front that you aren't happy with what you feel is a high price. It will work most of the times and they can save you money on a different bundle. After a year that bundle usually expires so just call back and negotiate. That's all that sa mart goon is doing. It's not rocket science.

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I currently have Comcast for my "cable" provider but the only service I get from them is internet. I pay $74.99 a month for 110MBs/50MBs so i really cant complain. I have yet to have my rates changed and have had the service for about 16 months at this point. I rent my modem, but us my trusty old Linksys WTR54GS route. It's only 54MBs for the Wifi but I have yet to see any lag when streaming or downloading. I'm not on a promotion of any sort as far as I know and recommend them to other until they screw me over then i will steer people away from them.

I mostly watch shows you youtube for the time being until I am done with school and start a "real" job. but would be interested in any free options that are out there.

This is a pure internet price you can get if you use your own modem. The comcast modem adds the rental fee. It's not a promotion and just available in most markets

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DangerKat posted:

So FXNOW is available on Apple TV now and after one episode of Sons of Anarchy, holy poo poo I think there are more ads watching on the app over live TV.

There are because online ads are so much cheaper than tv ads

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Try XBMC/Kodi and explore the video addons.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of XBMC has anyone had luck with NetfliXBMC? I have it installed on Ubuntu 14.04.1 (I have Chromium installed as well) and I can log in and browse but it crashes when I try to actually watch something. I'd rather not spend $200 on Windows 8 just to get Netflix working (even though Metro seems like it might not be bad for an HTPC).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is generally considered the best cable modem at a reasonable price? Or are they all pretty similar?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

What is generally considered the best cable modem at a reasonable price? Or are they all pretty similar?

In my experience, they're all the same. However, you do want to make sure the one you get supports DOCSIS 3.0

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
At this point you want a modem that supports at least 8 x 4 bonding (8 downstream channels and 4 upstream). There are some less expensive models that only do 4 x 4 and they are not worth a few dollars in savings. If you want something at least a little future proofed, get a 16 x 4 model (this is the only one I know of off hand) since that will allow for 100+ Mbps download speeds.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

At this point you want a modem that supports at least 8 x 4 bonding (8 downstream channels and 4 upstream). There are some less expensive models that only do 4 x 4 and they are not worth a few dollars in savings. If you want something at least a little future proofed, get a 16 x 4 model (this is the only one I know of off hand) since that will allow for 100+ Mbps download speeds.

An 8x4 allows up to 336Mbps downstream and 120Mbps upstream. A 16 is nice but really not necessary and its possible your isp doesnt' even support 16 channel bonding

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

An 8x4 allows up to 336Mbps downstream and 120Mbps upstream. A 16 is nice but really not necessary and its possible your isp doesnt' even support 16 channel bonding

In theory, yes. If you have the entire spectrum to yourself those speeds are achievable. In practice you want 16 channels because you will never have the whole thing to yourself. While 16 x 4 is new and rare now it's not a bad thing if you're thinking forward at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
And make sure that if you have the triple play bullshit package with phone, that you get a modem with a phone port because they won't let you use it.

I had an agent lie to me on the phone and say it could be done but when the the technician arrived, she said I had to have a phone with a phone jack on it. gently caress comcast forever and ever.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't know about Comcast but technically it can be done - you just wind up with your modem for data and a voice modem for voice and the whole thing is sort of a pain in the rear end.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
So what's the best device for playing off of an external HDD? I already have the thing plugged into my Wii with WiiMC installed, but it chokes on anything above 480p. If it can stream from my PC, that would be a bonus, as well. I rarely use YouTube/Hulu+ for whatever that's worth (on satellite, so limited bandwidth) I was hoping the Amazon Fire would be the ticket, but they seem to have disabled external storage support...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil Sock posted:

So what's the best device for playing off of an external HDD? I already have the thing plugged into my Wii with WiiMC installed, but it chokes on anything above 480p. If it can stream from my PC, that would be a bonus, as well. I rarely use YouTube/Hulu+ for whatever that's worth (on satellite, so limited bandwidth) I was hoping the Amazon Fire would be the ticket, but they seem to have disabled external storage support...

Just use Plex and a Chromecast, stream from your PC to your TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Evil Sock posted:

Some tv's can play mkv and poo poo from their usb port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Lapre posted:

Some tv's can play mkv and poo poo from their usb port.

Some Blu-Ray players can do this. They probably have Play To / DLNA as well. I use that a lot.

Evil Sock posted:

I use a windows tablet with hdmi out for things my TV can't play natively (10bit videos)