Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I'm visiting the US, and I've only been here for three days and I've already seen more crazy poo poo in that time than I have in the last six months back home. Do all Americans drive like such maniacs?

I do like your roads though, can't say I care much for the cars but the roads make things a heck of a lot easier. I suppose it's just as well the speed limits are so low otherwise I'd probably be dead right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey, at least we don't drive like they do in China!

But yeah there's bad drivers everywhere. Each region in the country has its own personality and creative ways for other drivers to send you to an early grave.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really don't want to be jumping on the "gently caress cyclists" bandwagon, but the kid that ran the intersection in front of me, going against traffic, in the dark, wearing big Beats headphones, while looking down at his phone? He's loving asking for it.

Also going four cars wide on a two lane road in Poland was way scarier than anything I've experienced in the US. Same with the extreme tailgating and darting out into oncoming traffic to see if it's "safe" (relatively) to pass. There's a lot of stupid poo poo in the US, but I expect it and it's second nature to predict.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's your feel good story for anyone getting mad about cyclists: http://wavy.com/2014/09/15/bicyclist-hit-in-norfolk-seriously-hurt/

quote:

The driver of the vehicle that hit a bicyclist in Norfolk Monday will not face charges.
Once the investigation is complete, Norfolk Police say the bicyclist could face charges.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ludicro posted:

So I'm visiting the US, and I've only been here for three days and I've already seen more crazy poo poo in that time than I have in the last six months back home. Do all Americans drive like such maniacs?

Americans see driving as a right and not a privilege, and since the standards to get a drivers license here are laughably easy, you end up with a lot of people driving who have no business doing so.

The level of bad drivers seems to depend on where you are. I grew up in Arizona, which has a wonderful combination of tons of elderly drivers (especially in the winter), large numbers of uninsured drivers, no vehicle inspections, and drivers licenses that don't expire until age 65. Combine that with 330 days of sunshine a year, and you end up with people crashing into everything in sight every time it rains, putting their cars through buildings when they confuse the brake and gas, driving 30 MPH under the limit in the left lane of the interstate, and generally being morons behind the wheel.

I also spent a few years in North Dakota (where the roads are icy 9 months of the year, and they don't salt), and probably because the weather is so bad there, the natives generally did a pretty good job of driving in challenging conditions much of the year. That said, there were always idiots (usually with lifted bro-trucks) who couldn't grasp that all wheel drive doesn't mean all wheel stop on ice.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, just like we only see the drivers that are doing dumb poo poo, you also only see the cyclists doing dumb poo poo. The thing about cyclists being retarded is that they're probably only going to hurt themselves, unlike a person in a car who can easily kill a whole bunch of people through a few seconds of not paying attention.

So maybe don't get so upset by having to slow down for a guy on a bike and instead worry about the person checking Facebook while piloting a 5000lb SUV through traffic.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

jamal posted:

Well, just like we only see the drivers that are doing dumb poo poo, you also only see the cyclists doing dumb poo poo. The thing about cyclists being retarded is that they're probably only going to hurt themselves, unlike a person in a car who can easily kill a whole bunch of people through a few seconds of not paying attention.

So maybe don't get so upset by having to slow down for a guy on a bike and instead worry about the person checking Facebook while piloting a 5000lb SUV through traffic.

5000lb is a crossover. A real SUV is 3 tons or better.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

I'm worried about the cyclists because if they choose phone-assisted suicide by chevy, I might get blamed for the collision. Even if not, nobody likes having to deal with the un-fun prospect of hosing someone's brains (because of course they're not wearing helmets) out of their grille. Ask any train-related personnel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Driving home yesterday I lost count of the number of people either on the phone, texting or on loving Facebook, including at least one confirmed selfie by a couple of young women in a Ford Ka with two little kids strapped into the back, at 30 through a complicated intersection.

The Ford Ka has the survivability of a crisp packet in impact tests, even for the back seat passengers.

It makes me depressed to think how much effort I try to put into keeping my car roadworthy, paying attention and being a little bit courteous and then you see these people who don't grasp the consequences of neglecting either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People just don't give a poo poo.. the frequency of people with a phone held against their ear has not changed one bit since it was made illegal in Illinois earlier this year. I can only assume the same attentiveness applies to their driving. I used to assume when people made a mistake driving they were just having a bad day, but the more time passes the more it's confirmed they just don't care.

So take all that moral superiority and talk trash about them on the internet. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

azflyboy posted:

Americans see driving as a right and not a privilege, and since the standards to get a drivers license here are laughably easy, you end up with a lot of people driving who have no business doing so.

If you end up in a national safety council course to keep said license they will preach at you forever about how it is the other way 'round. While teaching you to not speed or drive drunk.

(Yes, I've been to that class. Inspection tickets are a moving violation in my state. Guess how I found that out? By being told I needed to sit in a room with 30 adults who had 3 or more at fault accidents, drove drunk/high, sped, drove while suspended, drove with no license at all, drove uninsured, ran red lights repeatedly, etc. One guy got caught speeding while driving a commercial vehicle drunk with no CDL. We then got to listen to some old dude preaching at us about the dangers of speeding for 8 hours and pay 125 dollars for the privilege. gently caress this state and any other state that puts someone who didn't get their car inspected a few times in the same class as those reprobates.)

If anything, that class taught me to assume every other driver on the road is an uninsured, unlicensed idiot who is too busy talking on the phone and won't use the turn signal because they will spill their beer. Plan accordingly and assume the worst.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
A friend of mine recently figured out that when I pass people and look over to assess whether they're on the phone or anything dangerous that may require me to swerve the gently caress out of their way, I'm also giving them the luigi death stare.
I understand that many people in the US are basically asleep at the wheel and it's terrible, but what the gently caress? We need stricter driving laws like they provide in every other country on the planet.

Driving through narrow half lane sized country roads, in the mountains, in southern ireland in comparison to the US was loving terrifying until I got used to it. However, I managed to do so while not interrupting traffic or stopping at roundabouts in stupid ways.

Guess what the kind of folks were that would tail me heavily going around a blind corner that leads to a 1 lane (for both directions) bridge in an area I passed through repeatedly? Other american tourists driving.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

A friend of mine recently figured out that when I pass people and look over to assess whether they're on the phone or anything dangerous that may require me to swerve the gently caress out of their way, I'm also giving them the luigi death stare.
I understand that many people in the US are basically asleep at the wheel and it's terrible, but what the gently caress? We need stricter driving laws like they provide in every other country on the planet.

Driving through narrow half lane sized country roads, in the mountains, in southern ireland in comparison to the US was loving terrifying until I got used to it. However, I managed to do so while not interrupting traffic or stopping at roundabouts in stupid ways.

Guess what the kind of folks were that would tail me heavily going around a blind corner that leads to a 1 lane (for both directions) bridge in an area I passed through repeatedly? Other american tourists driving.

I've always wondered, if I were pulled over on the highway for speeding, if the officer would accept "I was trying to get away from the lunatics I'm sharing the road with" as a valid reason.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dyscrasia posted:

I've always wondered, if I were pulled over on the highway for speeding, if the officer would accept "I was trying to get away from the lunatics I'm sharing the road with" as a valid reason.

Most of the time speeding up is the best way to avoid these assholes. I'd rather see the fiery blaze in my rearview than be a part of it. As soon as you start to drift around while checking Facebook I'm leaving you in the dust.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Tonight I had an rear end in a top hat in a minivan brake checking me the entire way up an exit ramp to a red light. Protip: when exiting the highway and approaching a red light you may have someone a car length or two behind you as you come to a stop. Slamming on the brakes, crawling forward a few feet and doing it again four or five times isn't going to make me roll back to whatever arbitrary distance you think I should be following at or sitting stopped at.

Dyscrasia posted:

You'd better be on the phone with a 911 operator when they pull you over, or have video evidence of the driver you were fleeing. Otherwise you're getting a ticket or your license revoked.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
today I was in the left lane of a 4-lane divided street, and someone in an orange Mazda5 decided to attempt to either pull into my lane (from a gas station on the right) or across both lanes into a left turn lane, without looking. then after I had to slam on my brakes and my horn they caught up with me at the next light and gunned it to get in front of me when it turned green.

I don't get it. Do they think what they avoid seeing can't hurt them? Is that why they don't loving look?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't get it. Do they think what they avoid seeing can't hurt them? Is that why they don't loving look?
"Everyone gets out of my way anyway, and I need to be in this lane NOW." :downs:

It's a miracle these sorts of idiots don't crash into each other more often.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Guy on the interstate changing lanes repeatedly with no turn signals and weaving a bit between the lines at 1:30 am on a Saturday night? Cop.

Guy turning left in front of me on a 40 mph road causing me to brake 30 minutes later? Another cop.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PaganGoatPants posted:

Most of the time speeding up is the best way to avoid these assholes. I'd rather see the fiery blaze in my rearview than be a part of it. As soon as you start to drift around while checking Facebook I'm leaving you in the dust.

I prefer to have the inattentive and oblivious drivers in front of me, preferably a good 10-15 seconds ahead.

Someone can easily hit you from behind if they're completely caught up on their phone, but if they're in front of me, I can see the bullshit moves they're pulling and react accordingly.

Don't trust other people to react in a sensible manner, always keep them in sight so you can react safely. Braking can't save you from the idiot behind you, but it can definitely save you from the idiot in front.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

Guy turning left in front of me on a 40 mph road causing me to brake 30 minutes later? Another cop.

You gotta work on your reaction time.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Safety Dance posted:

You gotta work on your reaction time.

Well done.

Started the mechanics courses at the local community college. Learning a lot of really good info about repairing stuff and what to look for. A classmate brought her car in to change the oil and her front brake pads... we lift the 2012 Sentra up in the air and what do we see?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I saw something strange last night. This lady in a Prius was constantly loving with her lights (on/off/high beams/left turn signal/right turn signal/hazards) constantly alternating between each while speeding up and slowing down every mile or so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

I saw something strange last night. This lady in a Prius was constantly loving with her lights (on/off/high beams/left turn signal/right turn signal/hazards) constantly alternating between each while speeding up and slowing down every mile or so.

Why didn't you call the police?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ratbert90 posted:

Why didn't you call the police?

I was too busy being taken aback by it. What was stranger is that she was doing it in some kind of pattern. She'd alternate through her lights in the exact same way every time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

I was too busy being taken aback by it. What was stranger is that she was doing it in some kind of pattern. She'd alternate through her lights in the exact same way every time.

Perhaps a alarm freaking out?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Probably the control module spazzing.

drat, beaten.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hnnnnngghhhhhhh

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, so satisfying. Definitely a stupid move, regardless of whether a U-turn is legal or not there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sagebrush posted:

hnnnnngghhhhhhh

Feel good gif of the day.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

El Jebus posted:

Well done.

Started the mechanics courses at the local community college. Learning a lot of really good info about repairing stuff and what to look for. A classmate brought her car in to change the oil and her front brake pads... we lift the 2012 Sentra up in the air and what do we see?

I hate reddit but you belong on /r/justrolledintotheshop

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Job Truniht posted:

I had something similar happen except it was an old hyundai hatchback and I was parked watching it spazz out rolling up/down a steep hill with brake lights, headlamps, and turn signals etc flashing randomly.
Then suddenly I see it get right on my bumper (I'm parked at the bottom of this hill eating a sandwich in the shittiest buick ever) and jet back up the hill one last time. Suddenly the driver door opens, and a girl who couldn't weigh over 100lbs wearing a short sequined black dress gets out and runs behind the car trying (key word) to push it.
My passenger got out and put herself between the hyundai and the mini cooper parked next to us which was going to get hit, in attempt to save this crazy bitch, and I reacted a bit slower because of my seat belt and pushed the car off of them.
First impression was that this girl was heavily intoxicated. She now also had two broken legs (my passenger had major bruising but was fine) and was screaming at the top of her lungs. A minivan with a family saw this all go down, and the Dad and I ended up having to push the car to a parking spot, but not before the drunk girl with two broken legs refused to tell us how to get into her car and instead opted to climb herself through the hatch over a pile of dirty clothes screaming in agony, only because she couldn't articulate "the doors don't open from the outside and the key is in the ignition"
Turns out after getting behind the wheel, the clutch was completely out, it would only go into 3rd, and it had virtually no brakes and literally no parking break. She was driving this drunk. And she came from i5.
Mini cooper didn't even have a scratch on it :)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 21, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267136/Father-banned-driving-getting-wheel-toy-Barbie-car-drunk.html

The url says it all.

e: it did until the forums truncated it anyways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HEY VAPER posted:

I hate reddit but you belong on /r/justrolledintotheshop

great news!

http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

all the gore, none of the reddit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Huh, this is a new one for me... pedestrians run across the street without being able to see opposing traffic, but with a twist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1QyxpXm8i4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Today, I shall bitch about pedestrians. Here are some things that pedestrians in my city desperately need to learn:

1) The flashing hand means you should not step into the intersection. This is so cars can actually turn eventually! Please obey.
1a) The solid hand, when presented immediately after the flashing hand, certainly does not mean "oh, holy gently caress, I'd better run across the street."

2) Pay attention to the goddamn signal. If you spent 5 seconds standing at the corner not crossing when you have the right-of-way, people will start to turn in front of you, and they will be very surprised when you start walking (usually still paying attention to your goddamn phone, oblivious to the fact a large, multi-ton object might run into you).

3) Either cross or don't. Don't gently caress around at the corner wondering whether or not you should cross, loving everything up for everyone else. I guarantee you, if you make the wrong choice, you can always cross back later.

It all comes down to predictability. When I can predict what you are or aren't going to do, I'm less likely to hit you. That's why I use common sense and obey the law when I'm a pedestrian, and I would thank others to do the same.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm one of those assholes who frequently stops for pedestrians standing on the verge of entering crosswalks. So when people waiting for busses walk to the crosswalk, step into the street and look into my lane of traffic, I'm going to brake and slow down. If you are checking for you bus, don't do it from a crosswalk.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I've stopped for pedestrians and had people fly around me and almost hit the people I stopped for. :ughh:

At one of these signs.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PT6A posted:

Today, I shall bitch about pedestrians. Here are some things that pedestrians in my city desperately need to learn:

1) The flashing hand means you should not step into the intersection. This is so cars can actually turn eventually! Please obey.
1a) The solid hand, when presented immediately after the flashing hand, certainly does not mean "oh, holy gently caress, I'd better run across the street."

This poo poo drives me crazy, especially at 1 particular intersection in downtown Seattle. Trying to go from Pine(westbound one way) to turn right on 6th Ave(one way northbound) the crosswalk is timed to go to don't walk so that the traffic on Pine can turn right. Of course no one pays attention to the crosswalk signal and just keep walking. That coupled with that fact that most drivers are way to polite, maybe 2 cars can make that right turn in a light cycle. I normally drive 2 blocks farther than I have to just to avoid that intersection when leaving my office.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

I've stopped for pedestrians and had people fly around me and almost hit the people I stopped for. :ughh:

At one of these signs.

The signs around me are a loving joke and make the road more dangerous.

They only say "stop for pedestrians" without qualifying what situations it applies to. It creates four possibilities:

a) Pedestrians think they have right of way and can just walk into the road but the cars do not think this.
b) Cars think the pedestrians have right of way and the pedestrians don't, leading to cars stopping for no reason.
c) Both cars and pedestrians think it only applies to pedestrians actually in the street and things work smoothly.
d) Both cars and pedestrians think pedestrians have right of way and things also work smoothly.

The problem is the first two, and it's just a matter of time before someone gets splattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hey pedestrians, dont yell at me when you step out into the crosswalk without looking and I'm making a left turn already, maybe you shouldnt jam your childs stroller out into the road without making sure theres not a vehicle travelling into it.