Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Krad posted:

I find it extremely hard to believe that they literally scrapped everything they had for Versus, supposing they actually did some work at all. One way or another, it'll be at least two more years until XV comes out... at best.
Well they don't need to scrap the story, of course. As for other things, well, they had to scrap all CGI for sure. As for in-game assets...

I dunno about you, but I can't imagine they've kept much of anything in the transition. Sure they had frames to work with and copy, but they'd still need to redo them.

Another important thing is that just because it took two years to get to 50% doesn't mean it'll take another two years to get to 100%. That's not how things work. I'm not saying it WON'T, but the growth isn't linear.
E: Oh hey, I had missed this from the interviews.

quote:

The demo will be focused on battle, Tabata told 4Gamer, but there are towns and such players can visit.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Krad posted:

I find it extremely hard to believe that they literally scrapped everything they had for Versus, supposing they actually did some work at all. One way or another, it'll be at least two more years until XV comes out... at best.

Depends what you mean by 'work'. All of the design looks the same, they probably didn't go into pre-production completely fresh, but they're on a different engine and the games systems look fundamentally different. Also given that their new engine uses physcially based rendering and everything looks much higher fidelity, they would have had to scrap pretty much all of their art assets when switching engines.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They didn't have much to scrap, that was the issue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Krad posted:

The demo comes out in America next March

At worst the game drops a year from then, do March 2016, but id put dollars to donuts it drops holiday 2015

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Have you been reading the previous posts? It sounds like they had to gut and strip Versus and start all over, it might as well be a different game.
Does anyone have a play-by-play of the Fabula Crystal Novalis train wreck from the beginning?
Edit: holy poo poo, beaten. Was responding to Kral.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clearly, this all started when FF tainted itself with the Xbox in console selection

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Tae posted:

Clearly, this all started when FF tainted itself with the Xbox in console selection

Careful, you sound like a Nintendo fanboy circa 1997.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Actually no it doesn't, they've explicitly said it comes with a code to download the demo but no promises on when the demo will actually be downloadable, much like how Wolfenstein: NWO came with a DOOM Beta code. The game was released 4 months ago and we still have no idea when this DOOM Beta is happening.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno, I love the FF XII soundtrack, trouble is Sakamoto just doesn't really know how to do quiet.

Sakamoto's best work are his quiet tracks though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUp46wc9d0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAD58HCB-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUYPy7GVn4

and those are just from XII. You also have his stuff from Tactics which are usually somewhat quiet as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnOt2jOI8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdxVbhs02s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, and just in case you missed it, Tabata confirmed there's only male characters (suggestion is it's the same 4 for the entire game, barring Guests) for the party.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Square keeps wanting to make a game that looks and plays like DMC or some similar over-the-top action game, but don't know how. so they instead make a simulation of an action game. how wonderfully pointless.

The Kingdom Hearts series is pretty much a Devil May Cry JRPG, although a simplified version of it. On the other hand, Dragon's Dogma was the WRPG version (but not actually Western, it was made by the DMC3/4 team), but it was let down by its frame rate and lack of lock-on. At least you can create Noctis and Stella in it if you're really desperate to play FFXV...

However, KH feels like playing DMC on Easy Automatic, which if you've ever tried will make combos for you as you mash the sword button. Normally you can do these manually by pressing the button in a certain rhythm, or by pushing the analogue stick towards or away from an enemy at the same time, but it's up to you to vary your combo and keep up your style gauge. I would have liked XV to have gone in the direction of complete control over your character, but they seem to have gone the opposite way instead.

They might be trying to hold you back so there's some strategy involved, especially if you're more dependent on your party members, rather than being able to get through any battle unscathed as long as you're good at dodging and blocking. It would be nice if the extra-hard bonus battles could be beaten with on-the-fly team management and inventory usage, rather than the only tactic being the ability to dodge their attacks for 20 minutes while slowly chipping away at their health bar.

univbee posted:

Actually no it doesn't, they've explicitly said it comes with a code to download the demo but no promises on when the demo will actually be downloadable, much like how Wolfenstein: NWO came with a DOOM Beta code. The game was released 4 months ago and we still have no idea when this DOOM Beta is happening.

The same happened with the demo for The Last of Us, which came out a few months after God of War: Ascension, which came with the vouchers.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Terper posted:

Another important thing is that just because it took two years to get to 50% doesn't mean it'll take another two years to get to 100%. That's not how things work. I'm not saying it WON'T, but the growth isn't linear.

Thing is, if the game went into actual production just two years ago, can you really see a game of this magnitude done with just three years on it? It should take longer than that, but maybe I'm wrong and it'll be out before mid 2016.

Tae posted:

Oh, and just in case you missed it, Tabata confirmed there's only male characters (suggestion is it's the same 4 for the entire game, barring Guests) for the party.

What happened to the fifth guy from Versus, anyway?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

g0lbez posted:

~videos~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQm3kaxfl4

This is probably the best 'chillaxing in nature' theme I've heard in a game, Sakamoto's stuff really is underrated imo.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Himuro posted:

Right. 2006. Still, 4 years is a lot and it seems development hell to me, particularly for a drat psp game.

While lengthy development cycles helped polish their games, that won't happen again for anything except key titles. The FFXIII sequels and Kingdom Hearts 3D were on strict two year schedules and it showed. I don't think they can afford both in terms of cost and missing deadlines. The gaming market can change drastically over a year and a game that looked interesting at one point might arrive dated if it took too long in development.

Mischitary posted:

Yeah, that's what I've thought all along. The whole bullshit about Nomura being put on projects that "only he can do" was all just PR speak but it's weird to hear that just a couple of days ago and then read this where Tabata is remarkably more candid than S-E usually is. It was obvious that after working on the game for over half a decade whatever vision Tetsuya Nomura had for the game that was Final Fantasy Versus XIII was either unworkable, or, because of mismanagement, unachievable. It's starting to sound more like Tabata came in, took a couple of broad ideas that Nomura had in mind when making his game (the road-trip feel, the wide open areas, the broad storyline) and it was basically decided that instead of making Versus, a FF spin-off action RPG, he would make the next big Final Fantasy in the main numbered series. It definitely seems like the game is a lot more RPG than it is action now, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

Tabata is a very ambitious man. His statements for the Creator's Voice in the 2013 annual report revealed his desire for FFXV to be the most commercially and successful FF game to date. This is a big opportunity for him to make or break his career. It certainly broke Nomura's career.

Even if development stalled under him, I feel really bad for Nomura since they're kicking him when he's down. Development hell like that involves people screwing up from all over the company rather than the fault of one single person. However, it's much easier for a company to say the game stalled because of one guy and they got rid of him in favor of someone who can deliver results.

Krad posted:

The game was rebooted two years ago and still has at least 1-2 years of development left. That's enough time for RPGs to be rebuilt from the ground up. It's not without precedent for a game to change dramatically after a reboot and a change in staff. Platinum Games remade MGR Revengence into a new game with a new setting after the original concept was stuck in development hell at Konami. FFXIV 2.0 felt like a brand new game even after being in an alpha with features slowly trickled down. I'd like to think some elements of the original game design into the reboot but I wouldn't be surprised if the game's development was so troubled that they're just taking the characters and story concept while trashing everything else. In the recent interviews, Tabata outright said the game would be different due to the change in directors and he went to Nomura for input on his characters.

More importantly, the game never had a live demo until now and the design seemed to be in flux between trailers. It seemed to suffer from the same problems as recent FF games where no one could agree on a unified vision of the game and work constantly had to be thrown out. I wouldn't be surprised if the KH staff behind the game is slowly replaced by Tabata's Type-0 team. The politics and power struggles at SE probably make for a better storyline than the actual writing in their games.

Toxxupation posted:

At worst the game drops a year from then, do March 2016, but id put dollars to donuts it drops holiday 2015

They would probably like to have FFXV out in Japan by the end of 2015. It would be a strong holiday if Tomb Raider releases in the West and Final Fantasy releases in Japan at the end of 2015. Then, the Western release of FFXV could be in 2015 since it would avoid the 2015 holiday massacre.

However, the fact that they haven't committed to 2015 or ensured the demo is day and date with the Type-0 HD release makes me skeptical.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tomb Raider sales won't be exceptional since it's an Xbone exclusive for the holidays....

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I just want XV to come out so we can officially declare it The Worst Game in the Series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I just want XV to come out so we can officially declare it The Worst Game in the Series.

Let's be honest, it doesn't need to come out for that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Let's be honest, it doesn't need to come out for that.

Which is good, because it never will.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

Even if development stalled under him, I feel really bad for Nomura since they're kicking him when he's down. Development hell like that involves people screwing up from all over the company rather than the fault of one single person. However, it's much easier for a company to say the game stalled because of one guy and they got rid of him in favor of someone who can deliver results.

I hope they still keep him around as an 'ideas guy', or at the very least designing combat systems. What really separated Versus XIII from XIII was how much of the combat was demonstrated from the very first trailer, such as the teleporting, summoning swords, as well as hand-to-hand combat, whereas with XIII they had to scrap Lightning's ability to control gravity.

Sunning posted:

They would probably like to have FFXV out in Japan by the end of 2015. It would be a strong holiday if Tomb Raider releases in the West and Final Fantasy releases in Japan at the end of 2015. Then, the Western release of FFXV could be in 2015 since it would avoid the 2015 holiday massacre.

However, the fact that they haven't committed to 2015 or ensured the demo is day and date with the Type-0 HD release makes me skeptical.

A lot of people are thinking that the game will be released in late 2015 for Japan and early 2016 for the rest of the world, but is there any reason why it wouldn't be simultaneous? I know that every game in the XIII series was released this way, but it's just bad planning if the only thing that's changed for the worldwide release is the language. At least Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD is being launched everywhere this December, rather than having a six month gap like the first HD collection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

it's just bad planning if the only thing that's changed for the worldwide release is the language.

That's a really big thing to change though. Even if you're localizing as the game is being made it can slow things down a lot to wait for the English side to be finished and if it comes down to missing a holiday release while waiting for the English to finish, they'll put the Japanese version out first.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's a really big thing to change though. Even if you're localizing as the game is being made it can slow things down a lot to wait for the English side to be finished and if it comes down to missing a holiday release while waiting for the English to finish, they'll put the Japanese version out first.

I can understand this for something like Bravely Default, but maybe they should focus on getting this game out in time for the regions that actually bought the consoles it's being released on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I can understand this for something like Bravely Default, but maybe they should focus on getting this game out in time for the regions that actually bought the consoles it's being released on.

Well, I'm pretty sure they're (maybe not incorrectly) under the assumption that FFXV is one of the few things that can really spur Japanese console sales, even with the series lessened prestige. I'm sure they'll have FFXV bundles and poo poo.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

Himuro posted:

I was excited to see what they did for the backgrounds, but I'm not liking how they have the opposite problem of the default steam version. Whereas the game in default has sharp, jaggy bgs, those bgs are smoothed and overly blurry via filter use. I'd go as far as saying it looks bad, but that's probably my FF8 purist speaking. Does it look better further away?
Nah, you're right that the filters they use make the backgrounds look super blurry in order to mask jaggies. When I played through 7 with these same filters, I thought it made some areas look like they were made out of clay. However, it does look much better in motion or areas where the colors can pop out. Balamb Garden, for instance, looks really good to me - http://youtu.be/5uOKgOMPzD4?t=3m20s. Looking at it farther away shouldn't make much of a difference since with or without the mod you're likely to gloss over details from the original backgrounds.

Of course I can see Project Eden not being for everyone since these kind of mods are at best work-arounds for FF8's dated graphics, and unless Square-Enix by some miracle kept the orginal art assets around, we'll probably never see 8 (or 7) as we know it in true HD. On the other hand, Project Eden fixes a lot of smaller visual issues I had like the aforementioned jaggies and the glaring discrepancy between the higher resolution character models and the pre-rendered bgs. The muddier textures help the chracter models fit-in a little better, if that makes any sense. If you can ingore the blurriness, Project Eden combined with that menu mod I mentioned makes FF8 feel a lot more modern. Plus, it's really neat to see FF8 modding take-off and get more love.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

Tomb Raider sales won't be exceptional since it's an Xbone exclusive for the holidays....

We have to consider the context of that decision. Tomb Raider is essentially their best selling IP at this point and for years they had outrageous sales target for their Eidos developed games. For them to agree to a timed exclusivity deal with Microsoft, which would cut their sales potential, suggests they didn't think the game couldn't succeed on its own without a powerful publishing partner. Perhaps, the question is how unexceptional the sales would have been if it was multiplatform to begin with and SE didn't have the know-how or confidence to promote a third-person shooter.

That loving Sned posted:

I hope they still keep him around as an 'ideas guy', or at the very least designing combat systems. What really separated Versus XIII from XIII was how much of the combat was demonstrated from the very first trailer, such as the teleporting, summoning swords, as well as hand-to-hand combat, whereas with XIII they had to scrap Lightning's ability to control gravity.

After working for so many years, Nomura has directed, written, and produced a lot of key games for the company. He's also headhunted and help start SE Osaka. Just being an 'ideas guy' is effectively a demotion. As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up leaving the company after doing whatever he is required to do for Kingdom Hearts 3. FFvsXIII/FFXV was a very personal project to him and to not only be ejected from its development but have someone come in and try to salvage it and potentially come out as a hero must have been very painful. It's just been the trend in SE for directors who come off troubled projects to leave the company.

As for Versus XIII's combat, we don't know if it was ever in good or even decent enough to be playable. FFXII was in development hell but Matsuno still participated and gave live tours of the game at press events. We saw uninterrupted footage of the combat system, cities, and cutscenes that made it into the final game However, FFvsXIII/FFXV wasn't shown live until eight years under a new director. The footage could have been smoke and mirrors because the game's technical problems or the concept wasn't coming together. I know a number of people preferred the original Metal Gear Rising concept over the final game but Konami admitted the game didn't get off the ground until Platinum came in. Besides, what good is a combat designer if the combat system he envisioned is jettisoned in favor one by the game's new director?

That loving Sned posted:

A lot of people are thinking that the game will be released in late 2015 for Japan and early 2016 for the rest of the world, but is there any reason why it wouldn't be simultaneous? I know that every game in the XIII series was released this way, but it's just bad planning if the only thing that's changed for the worldwide release is the language. At least Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD is being launched everywhere this December, rather than having a six month gap like the first HD collection.

While more and more Japanese games are releasing simultaneously worldwide, it's very difficult for some publishers to change their localization system and hit that release date. For The Last Remnant to hit a worldwide release, they had to do much of the English localization upfront, such as recording English voice overs before the Japanese voices. Nintendo has a strong history of releasing games worldwide or even weeks before the Japanese release. However, it was a struggle for them to make Pokemon X/Y hit a simultaneous worldwide release date due to localizing it for seven languages.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That loving Sned posted:

The Kingdom Hearts series is pretty much a Devil May Cry JRPG, although a simplified version of it. On the other hand, Dragon's Dogma was the WRPG version (but not actually Western, it was made by the DMC3/4 team), but it was let down by its frame rate and lack of lock-on. At least you can create Noctis and Stella in it if you're really desperate to play FFXV...

However, KH feels like playing DMC on Easy Automatic, which if you've ever tried will make combos for you as you mash the sword button. Normally you can do these manually by pressing the button in a certain rhythm, or by pushing the analogue stick towards or away from an enemy at the same time, but it's up to you to vary your combo and keep up your style gauge. I would have liked XV to have gone in the direction of complete control over your character, but they seem to have gone the opposite way instead.

What was the last KH game you played? Because it sounds like you're describing the combat in KHII.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The fact that XV won't play like Birth by Sleep is a thought that keeps me awake at night, sobbing into my pillow.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I never felt KH took inspiration from Devil May Cry. It always felt like 3d Mana to me. I'm not understanding the DMC comparison to KH at all. At best, they both have lock on, but little else.

tonberrykng posted:

Nah, you're right that the filters they use make the backgrounds look super blurry in order to mask jaggies. When I played through 7 with these same filters, I thought it made some areas look like they were made out of clay. However, it does look much better in motion or areas where the colors can pop out. Balamb Garden, for instance, looks really good to me - http://youtu.be/5uOKgOMPzD4?t=3m20s. Looking at it farther away shouldn't make much of a difference since with or without the mod you're likely to gloss over details from the original backgrounds.

Of course I can see Project Eden not being for everyone since these kind of mods are at best work-arounds for FF8's dated graphics, and unless Square-Enix by some miracle kept the orginal art assets around, we'll probably never see 8 (or 7) as we know it in true HD. On the other hand, Project Eden fixes a lot of smaller visual issues I had like the aforementioned jaggies and the glaring discrepancy between the higher resolution character models and the pre-rendered bgs. The muddier textures help the chracter models fit-in a little better, if that makes any sense. If you can ingore the blurriness, Project Eden combined with that menu mod I mentioned makes FF8 feel a lot more modern. Plus, it's really neat to see FF8 modding take-off and get more love.

It looks MUCH better in motion. THANKS!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Wait, we have people saying FF3's worse than FF2, a game with the worst dungeon design in the series, including monster closets that are just empty room that waste your time, a game that flippantly kills off half of its world's population without really caring about the payoff, a game that can be almost completely trivialized by focusing on one stat you have no real control over?

Which stat are you talking about? You have pretty good control over all of them.

Strength = melee poo poo
Vitality = take some beatings
Agility = strip your armor, dual wield shields.
HP = take beatings (also random goes up in iOS version)
MP = use magic in combat
Magic resist = get hit with status effects

Agility's annoying as poo poo to increase at first, but once you have some levels in shield usage you can leave a shield on melee characters not going unarmed and still get gains now and then unless you're using a bunch of heavy as gently caress armor.

FF2's remakes made the game better. FF3's remakes made the game worse.

Terper posted:

After 2 years, actually. Development on FFXV should be considered wholly different from development on Versus.

Except it won't, just as Duke Nukem Forever didn't get its clock of insanity reset when Gearbox started working on it. People don't care for excuses like "reset the clock" because it does nothing to address the nearly decade of waiting that's already taken place.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except it won't, just as Duke Nukem Forever didn't get its clock of insanity reset when Gearbox started working on it. People don't care for excuses like "reset the clock" because it does nothing to address the nearly decade of waiting that's already taken place.

So you're saying they used decade-old assets for Duke Nukem Forever?

My point is that the game we'll get has been in development for two years. We'll not get a game that has been in development since '06, just like DNF wasn't. They were announced waaayy to early and were both in development hell and that's a thing to be peeved about, for sure. But the game hasn't been in development for some eight-odd years and only has 50% to show for it, which is what the poster insinuated.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm pretty bummed that XV's combat is sounding less and less like KH. I would be perfectly happy if that one idea was left intact.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The all male thing sounds excellent and refreshing for the genre. I really hope no one is writing a kotaku article on that right now. You'd have to be really reaching to get outraged over this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Himuro posted:

The all male thing sounds excellent and refreshing for the genre. I really hope no one is writing a kotaku article on that right now. You'd have to be really reaching to get outraged over this.

Fortunately the internet is known to only get outraged about sensible and reasonable things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can be happy with the thing but saying it is 'refreshing for the genre' is a laugh. Boy, a heavily male-dominated story with a female lead who has no player-agency in the story, that's certainly a new and bold take for video games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's bold and new when it involves sitting here in my car. Where I feel safest of all; I can lock all my doors. It's the only way to live, in my car.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They could go to incredible lengths to make the entire story of the game about brotherhood and badass male friendships and end up making an amazing story, and the internet would still take a poo poo on it for not having a female playable character. Personally, I just find the timing hilarous, that during all the crazy poo poo happening with the role of women in video games and the female demographic, to announce that the entire playable cast is male.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Himuro posted:

refreshing for the genre

Literally what is wrong with you.

Like, if they want to tell a 'boys on the road' story, then that's fine. But how the gently caress is more male representation in gaming (especially Japanese gaming) 'refreshing'?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Literally what is wrong with you.

Like, if they want to tell a 'boys on the road' story, then that's fine. But how the gently caress is more male representation in gaming (especially Japanese gaming) 'refreshing'?

To be fair at least it isn't underage girls in fetish outfits, the other choice for JRPGs these days.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TARDISman posted:

Personally, I just find the timing hilarous, that during all the crazy poo poo happening with the role of women in video games and the female demographic, to announce that the entire playable cast is male.

To be fair, I really doubt the people in control over at SE have much time to spend pouring over enlgish internet and social media to catch up on the recent happenings.

Also, kind of interested in an All-male cast for FF. FF is usually really good (especially for its genre) about its female characters so if they're doing an all male cast it's probably a deliberate move on the writers' parts. I'm kind of curious where they're going with it.

Hopefully it'll be homoerotic as gently caress. JoJo levels.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Who cares what sex the cast consists of. Isn't reaching a state of looking past that entirely to the point of it not even occurring to anyone as being important the ultimate goal anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They named their 65th game, Final Fantasy XV!