Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fragmented posted:

I want to echo this statement, but like a warehouse rave that goes till noon the next day, around 7-8am poo poo starts to get weird.

ugh coming down off E, and the sun is burning a loving hole in my eyes, and it is Sunday how the gently caress is it Sunday afternoon already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Anyone have links to the Song of Ice and Wire stories? Detective Clegane would be nice as well.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 16, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, now I know how Dany felt when she was walking through the desert and finally got to a god damned city with the promise of food and rest.

Because I finally got to the first Arya chapter in ADWD, 51% through the god damned book.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I just watched desolation of smaug and I would cry blood tears of joy if the american tolkein's dragons and dragon lady were replaced with the Tolkien tolkein's dragons

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Thorin Oakenshield = secret targ?!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
*consults ancient dwarvish tapestry*

Confirmed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's deposed royalty who goes about gettin his poo poo back in the most convoluted and nonsensical way possible. He was Targ before there was one.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Thorin Oakenshield=TO=OT=Orignal Targ

The math is solid

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I'm rereading Dance and its really not a horrible book. It just needed a loving ending. The first two thirds are good. But knowing that everything ends in a cliffhanger is like beetles in my brain as I struggle through the last chapters.

Please finish the next book please finish the next book. gently caress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Tyrion's chapters after he leaves Aegon are pretty lame (seriously a midget romance subplot?), and Dany is an idiot are my biggest complaints save the lack of ending. I don't understand why Quentyn was a POV character either, the only relevant thing will be the effects that his death will have on Dorne/Dany relations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 17, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Not a bad book? Are you sure you weren't reading a novelization of Dirty Dancing?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoh_2nF-Rxs

So flashback sequences or bizarro Stoneheart?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Clearly he'll be laid in state just constantly farting. People will be turning green and puking through their fingers. :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fragmented posted:

I'm rereading Dance and its really not a horrible book. It just needed a loving ending. The first two thirds are good. But knowing that everything ends in a cliffhanger is like beetles in my brain as I struggle through the last chapters.

Please finish the next book please finish the next book. gently caress.

Become one of us. Transcend. You feel it in your heart. Just a little further.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kavak posted:

Funeral?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
is it ou

nm, dont care

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Tyrion's going to go ghost dad crazy instead of becoming neurotic about the locations and vectors of whores.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dogs named Charlie posted:

Tyrion's going to go ghost dad crazy instead of becoming neurotic about the locations and vectors of whores.

Makes sense, sounds fun. Another area where the show writers can outshine GRRM. Outshine in the sense that the show writers are a functioning lamp from Ikea and GRRM is a lava lamp with a blacklight bulb in the base but the bulb is actually shattered and the lava part is actually just poo poo suspended in piss.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

mind the walrus posted:

Become one of us. Transcend. You feel it in your heart. Just a little further.

I'm just not ready for the death of hope. I'm still grasping its hand as I slip in to the abyss of writing slash Harry Potter GoT.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Fragmented posted:

I'm just not ready for the death of hope. I'm still grasping its hand as I slip in to the abyss of writing slash Harry Potter GoT.

Past hope. Past kindness or consideration. Past justice. Past satisfaction. Past warmth or cold or comfort. Past love. But past rape? What an endlessly unfolding tedium life would then become.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

syscall girl posted:

Outshine in the sense that the show writers are a functioning lamp from Ikea and GRRM is a lava lamp with a blacklight bulb in the base but the bulb is actually shattered and the lava part is actually just poo poo suspended in piss.

That's pretty profound

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
So hey, bad thread. I'm sure when the book comes out in 2015 it will stimulate some conversation, but in the meantime what's up with the patchface prophecies? Who is coldhands? What's tyrion doing with the mercenaries? Is mance rayder captured or not?

Hahahaha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tyrion is a secret Targaryean and Syrio Forel was Jaqen H'ghar :downs:.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

is it ou

nm, dont care

Actually, no, but there is a cool trailer that just got released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii76KIfc6vE

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the nope! made me laugh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fragmented posted:

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince That Was Promised?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Tyrion's chapters after he leaves Aegon are pretty lame (seriously a midget romance subplot?), and Dany is an idiot are my biggest complaints save the lack of ending. I don't understand why Quentyn was a POV character either, the only relevant thing will be the effects that his death will have on Dorne/Dany relations.

Martins thirst for the blood of his characters has grown to the point where he now kills off characters in the same book where he introduced them to replace other characters that he killed off. Maybe by the final book we will have an entirely new cast of characters from those we started with in Game of Thrones.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

By the end of the series, new people will appear already murdered. We will never know who they were, just that they died as the book is merely a list of all the dead. No narrative, just "THE BATTLE OF CRESCENT VALLEY" followed by a list of 7,000 names.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince That Was Promised?

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Poisoned Wine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Harry the Heir and the Unresolved Plotline

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Martins thirst for the blood of his characters

Bullshit. Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, and Brienne all have thick-rear end plot armor and he made Bran a presumably immortal time-travelling tree. Sure he "killed" Jon but I think we all know in our hearts that that's a fake-out. Hell he brought Theon back from a presumed death after two entire books without him.

Martin's reputation for killing characters is built almost entirely around Ned, Robb, and Cat Stark biting the big one and he brought Cat back.

I cannot wait for the show to finally progress far enough that even the idiot show-babies realize that quite a few the main cast are safe as houses for a long while to come.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Renly, Joffrey, Tywin, Viserys? Tywin had a debatably bigger role than Robb did...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2014

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

You have a point with Tyrion's plot armor, but the rest of them don't seem in any real danger, and their stories aren't near over (even though that didn't help Quentyn)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

On that list at least, Sam and Brienne could bite it and no one would think twice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Renly, Joffrey, Tywin, Viserys? Tywin had a debatably bigger role than Robb did...

Every single one of these was a non-POV character and thus "supporting." Their deaths do count, but let's be frank here, them all dying is hardly that big a deal when you're dealing with a literally epic cast of 30+ MAIN characters, especially when none of those you listed were the focal point of their plotlines. Robert and Drogo fall under that banner as well. Ned, Cat (and by extension Robb) were the main driving forces of their corners of the story and thus losing them tied off one corner of the narrative. Losing Renly, Joffrey, and Tywin did have big repercussions, I won't deny that, but they were also operating in the King's Landing plotline which is so chock-full of subplots and shifting POVs that the impact was greatly greatly diminished.

Oh, and I forgot, you can add Stannis, Melisandre, Victarion, Barristan, Jorah, Varys, Illyrio, Euron, Asha, Davos, Littlefinger, Gilly, Rickon, Ramsay and Roose Bolton, Connington and Aegon, and most of the Dorne fucks to the rather long list of POV/Semi-Main characters who are all very very safe in the narrative for the foreseeable future.

Jeffrey posted:

On that list at least, Sam and Brienne could bite it and no one would think twice.

Lose Sam and you lose the only Oldtown POV. Lose Brienne and you lose the only Stoneheart-related POV. It's 100% possible that GRRM would just kill them and switch to another POV he either introduces in WoW or otherwise just switches to another outright, but since there's little precedence of this I feel safe including those two.

Militree posted:

You have a point with Tyrion's plot armor, but the rest of them don't seem in any real danger, and their stories aren't near over (even though that didn't help Quentyn)

That's true based on the definition of plot armor, you're right, but I think we both know that I meant that none of them are going to unexpectedly die anytime soon and if you hadn't figured this out by Books 4-5 you are a very dense, dumb person who believes in marketing memes more than contextual evidence.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 22, 2014

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I know they aren't going to get the Quentyn treatment, but I wouldn't really call any of them "safe," except maybe Arya and Tyrion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Robb was also a non-pov character, and Ned had about as many chapters as Quentyn did. Ned's death was obviously still very important as far as its influence on the events that followed, as was Tywin's.

I think you are foolish if you think those characters have plot armor because they haven't died yet. The story can very easily continue without any of them. Yeah, Gilly's probably not going to die, but Connington certainly is and we already know how. Do you think the story would become incoherent if Asha, Roose, and Jorah all bite it?

I'll :toxx: that at least 3 of those characters(Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, Brienne, Stannis, Melisandre, Victarion, Barristan, Jorah, Varys, Illyrio, Euron, Asha, Davos, Littlefinger, Gilly, Rickon, Ramsay and Roose Bolton, Connington and Aegon) die in the next book if it's ever published. (It won't be.)

As for actual plot armor, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, and Dany seem like reasonable candidates, I don't know if I can really say more than that. Rickon seems pretty safe too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 22, 2014

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Jeffrey posted:

I'll :toxx: that at least 3 of those characters(Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, Brienne, Stannis, Melisandre, Victarion, Barristan, Jorah, Varys, Illyrio, Euron, Asha, Davos, Littlefinger, Gilly, Rickon, Ramsay and Roose Bolton, Connington and Aegon) die in the next book if it's ever published. (It won't be.)

My guess for three is Aegon, Littefinger, and Brienne. Maybe Cersei.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't see how one of (Roose,Ramsay,Stannis,Asha) don't die in the battle of winterfell, one of them has to win. I think Aegon's time is limited, unless they do some weird Dany as the villain thing and he ends up actually being king. Littlefinger I'm unsure about, he's a player in a good position, but certainly served his story role several times over. He's gonna littlefinger Sansa some more, but I see her getting revenge at some point in the future. Stoneheart might well kill someone too though given that she's cut from the show, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
More to the point, I think, about Viserys, Tywin, and Joffery, they were antagonists and people generally expect antagonists to die at some point in stories like this. I think people are thinking about protagonists when they talk about a story having lots of character deaths.

Anyway, whichever characters you personally think have plot armor, I do agree that people often exaggerate the amount of character death in this series.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 22, 2014