Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think that animator was just pissed because Ezio's running-on-a-wire and shimmying-across-a-ledge animations were almost the same as ghost ranger's running-on-a-wire and shimmying-across-a-ledge movements. Actions which are apparently quite diverse and differ hugely between individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

However the Nemesis System is crazy-cool and I am legitimately sad it won't be in Arkham Knight because it would be amazing in a Batman game.

Man, wouldn't that have been a great Origins game. Start off as Batman just starting out, taking out Black Mask's criminal empire, starting out with the grunts on the ground, working your way up to the lieutenants, using fear and intimidation to get them to turn on each other and weaken the entire group.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Man, wouldn't that have been a great Origins game. Start off as Batman just starting out, taking out Black Mask's criminal empire, starting out with the grunts on the ground, working your way up to the lieutenants, using fear and intimidation to get them to turn on each other and weaken the entire group.

Seriously. The basis for it is even in the game already with the ability to scare dudes with various gimmicks. Shadow of Mordor basically takes that and expands it into a game mechanic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Crappy Jack posted:

Hell, forget starting out as Batman. Start out as Bruce Wayne in a balaclava making a drat fool of himself at night and build up to Bat-Man.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously. The basis for it is even in the game already with the ability to scare dudes with various gimmicks. Shadow of Mordor basically takes that and expands it into a game mechanic.

Well, great. Now I just keep coming up with imagery that makes me sad. Picturing Batman sneaking up to a gang lieutenant, scaring the poo poo out of him, and then just LEAVING to make a point.

Yeah, pretty sure I'm gonna be preordering SoM just so I can get that sweet black outfit and pretend I'm Batman Baggins.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Falcone thing sounds like he's turning into a villain I'm supposed to know, considering where his Enigma tapes go. But whoops, they neglected to have anything about that in this game and I seriously doubt we'll get an Origins sequel to expand on anything ever.

If you legitimately don't know, Alberto Falcone is the Holiday Killer. NOT Calender Man. A different holiday-based villain. Him becoming the Holiday Killer is the nail in the coffin for the mafia era of crime in Gotham City, meant to show that even the most powerful crime families are giving way to eccentric supervillains.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

If you legitimately don't know, Alberto Falcone is the Holiday Killer. NOT Calender Man. A different holiday-based villain. Him becoming the Holiday Killer is the nail in the coffin for the mafia era of crime in Gotham City, meant to show that even the most powerful crime families are giving way to eccentric supervillains.

Although to be fair, in a nonsensical plot twist, he isn't really the Holiday Killer!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, great. Now I just keep coming up with imagery that makes me sad. Picturing Batman sneaking up to a gang lieutenant, scaring the poo poo out of him, and then just LEAVING to make a point.

I would love to have gotten bonuses for doing poo poo like that. I loved disabling the last guy's gun and then just waiting behind him for him to turn around.

ImpAtom posted:

Although to be fair, in a nonsensical plot twist, he isn't really the Holiday Killer!

Man, just ignore the last couple pages. They hurt the entire thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, now you guys are making me upset because I know Arkham Knight won't be incorporating anything like this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well Shadow of Mordor is sounding more and more like a game I should really be getting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well Shadow of Mordor is sounding more and more like a game I should really be getting.

Go check out some of the videos. I don't want to sound like a PR dude for the game or anything but seriously, don't write it off because of the goofy concept. It is Medieval Fantasy Batman.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does Shadow of Mordor have orc banter where they explicitly refuse to believe in the existence of the player character? :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Does Shadow of Mordor have orc banter where they explicitly refuse to believe in the existence of the player character? :v:

Yes. There is a whole lot of orc banter, both about the things you've done ("I hear he's been setting people on fire!") and about the fact that there's no way the Gravewalker could possibly exist.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 23, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

Go check out some of the videos. I don't want to sound like a PR dude for the game or anything but seriously, don't write it off because of the goofy concept. It is Medieval Fantasy Batman.

Yeah, I saw a brief video that looked tantalizing but I was skeptical of some of the claims about the nemesis system, but others have said it holds up pretty well, and the fact it features Batman-style combat is a further selling point for me. I think I'll be picking it up when it releases.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, what the hell, Electricutioner's 24? gently caress, that makes me feel so old.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. There is a whole lot of orc banter, both about the things you've done ("I hear he's been setting people on fire!") and about the fact that there's no way the Gravewalker could possibly exist.

Well poo poo, definitely getting it then, haha. I shall pretend it's a Scarecrow induced fantasy trip before the events of Arkham Knight.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, what the hell, Electricutioner's 24?

Not anymore

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

Well poo poo, definitely getting it then, haha. I shall pretend it's a Scarecrow induced fantasy trip before the events of Arkham Knight.

Bruce Wayne falls asleep reading Lord of the Rings. This is the dream he has.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Jerusalem posted:

For sho. Anyone who loves the bat games should be looking at it. ImpAtom's posts after he got to play it sold me immediately.

Greenman gaming sent me a code to get it for $37, just yesterday. So I finally preordered. If its a unique code joining the mailing list will probably get you the same 25% code within 24 hours, although if its universal, but it's SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX

There's also a spanish language site that has steam keys for $30. A lot of people have had good experiences with them mention it in the SoM thread.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CuwiKhons posted:

We really needed two of those. Thanks to Arkham Asylum's riddles, I now know there are two twin brothers who are Batman villains named Humpty and Dumpty. How sad must it be to be the third most popular Lewis Carroll inspired Batman villain?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jurgan posted:

We really needed two of those. Thanks to Arkham Asylum's riddles, I now know there are two twin brothers who are Batman villains named Humpty and Dumpty. How sad must it be to be the third most popular Lewis Carroll inspired Batman villain?

Read the Long Halloween. Very much a different type of villain from Calendar Man (Who they consult like Hannibal Lecter). Also, I think you mean Tweedledee and Tweedum. Humpty Dumpy is a mentally disable giant who took his grandmother apart and tried to put her back together again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

oh my god

Solomonic posted:

Not anymore

:drat:

Seriously though, that feels so weird. Comic books and all that but jesus christ if I was that buff at 24 I'd be much happier with myself.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Read the Long Halloween. Very much a different type of villain from Calendar Man (Who they consult like Hannibal Lecter). Also, I think you mean Tweedledee and Tweedum. Humpty Dumpy is a mentally disable giant who took his grandmother apart and tried to put her back together again.

Oh, sorry, then there are four Lewis Carroll themed Batman villains. :ughh:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jurgan posted:

Oh, sorry, then there are four Lewis Carroll themed Batman villains. :ughh:

No, there are still only three. Yes he referenced it, but he didn't make it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But the protagonist is voiced by Troy Baker who we all know is The Joker. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And the Joker is simply another facet of Batman's identity. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jurgan posted:

While I relish the thought, I'm not sure he'd cut the mustard in this series. Batman is now well established, so it'd be hard for a new guy to catch up. Let us hope they can find some new layers by peeling back the onion of his character. Mayonnaise.

Never stop. Both of you. :allears:

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, there are still only three. Yes he referenced it, but he didn't make it.

What about the Carpenter?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't care how good Shadows of Mordor looks. I learned my lesson with Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3: no more preorders! You gotta wait 'til that poo poo's $20 on Steam. Batman's the only exception.

Unless everyone's, like, soiling themselves about how amazing it is, then maybe I'll trade in some PS3 games and get it cheaper, anyways.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about the Carpenter?

As ashamed as I am to know that the Carpenter was a real Batman villain, I don't think Lewis Carroll invented carpenting.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As long as we're talking obscure, lets get some Sportsmaster up in this bitch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

As ashamed as I am to know that the Carpenter was a real Batman villain, I don't think Lewis Carroll invented carpenting.

Maybe not, but what about the Walrus and the Carpenter?

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173170

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Well yeah, but the Carpenter villain was literally just a straight up carpenter with power tools. Writing a poem that includes a carpenter doesn't mean all carpenters in media since then are references to him.

As long as we're talking obscure, lets get some Sportsmaster up in this bitch.

They used Sportsmaster in Young Justice and even as effective as a villain as they made him, I still couldn't take him seriously.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

He can just spell it backwards. I will admit that it was pretty funny at first.

My biggest pet peeve with Origins was the Penguin subplot. It just ends. I guess it is continued in Cold Cold Heart, but the Falcone thing goes nowhere.

Whenever I get to the end of the Penguin subplot, I always think of this:

The Simpsons posted:

Burns: I suggest you leave immediately.
Homer: Or what? You'll release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with
bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
Well, go ahead -- do your worst!
[Burns slams the door and locks it]
[disbelieving] He locked the door! I'll show him -- [rings the
doorbell and runs away]

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I haven't got to the end of the Penguin in Origins, but his story in City was so good. The final confrontation where Batman just unleashes a 16 hit combo on him when a single punch probably would have sufficed was perfect after all the poo poo he'd been through.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Well yeah, but the Carpenter villain was literally just a straight up carpenter with power tools. Writing a poem that includes a carpenter doesn't mean all carpenters in media since then are references to him.

Wasn't she a part of the Wonderland Gang, though?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Okay, here's something I REALLY loving HATE about Arkham Origins.

When I said countering works weird and has less of a timeframe, I thought I was wrong for a while. I was able to counter most everything the game threw at me pretty easily. Then all of a loving sudden the counter window decreases. It's around after the time you apprehend Joker and finish up the Hotel "dungeon". All of a sudden, for no good reason, the counter window goes from "Yeah I can maybe finish punching this dude before having to hit the button" to "Better loving have ESP or get hit". This means unless I'm aerial attacking a shield dude, that's no longer a viable attack option, and loving forget batclaw slamming, because both of those animations are a HAIR too long and if you start them you can't loving stop and if a mook decides he wants to hit you, he's gonna loving hit you.

I'm not imagining it, either, because I went back and played some challenge maps and they have the much longer, much fairer counter time.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Okay, here's something I REALLY loving HATE about Arkham Origins.

When I said countering works weird and has less of a timeframe, I thought I was wrong for a while. I was able to counter most everything the game threw at me pretty easily. Then all of a loving sudden the counter window decreases. It's around after the time you apprehend Joker and finish up the Hotel "dungeon". All of a sudden, for no good reason, the counter window goes from "Yeah I can maybe finish punching this dude before having to hit the button" to "Better loving have ESP or get hit". This means unless I'm aerial attacking a shield dude, that's no longer a viable attack option, and loving forget batclaw slamming, because both of those animations are a HAIR too long and if you start them you can't loving stop and if a mook decides he wants to hit you, he's gonna loving hit you.

I'm not imagining it, either, because I went back and played some challenge maps and they have the much longer, much fairer counter time.

I feel like the zipline controls worse in Origins compared to City. I'm playing through origins now after just finishing City and it seems like you have to get a lot closer to activate the zipline then before, which is a real pain in the predator sections when trying to swing round quickly on the gargoyles.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
The Nemesis system sounds cool but I doubt it will actually work or be something anyone cares about in the actual game. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Tried to do the same thing where it tracks 1000 people moving around in real time keeping track of their kills and who dies ect ect on a ladder scoreboard. It effected basically nothing and was really pointless in the end. I saw one of the top tier neutral stalkers once and was like oh hey that's the guy who's right below me in the score thing. Then I shot him in the face. It didn't really change anything in the game though.

Yeah the top tier bad guys might have different names and faces but who cares? The difficulty level is still going to be the same. You could achieve the same effect by just randomizing all the character faces and names in the first place. Just like you can have people do their jobs and be tracked as they move around the world without adding a bunch of extra code to complicate things.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

Change this gimmick up

rofl?

Crappy Jack posted:

Even better, make your own rogues gallery. Traumatize a guy enough and he goes crazy and starts running around as a costumed supervillian. Have a system that make freak accidents happen during fights that give superpowers to random goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Yeah the top tier bad guys might have different names and faces but who cares? The difficulty level is still going to be the same. You could achieve the same effect by just randomizing all the character faces and names in the first place. Just like you can have people do their jobs and be tracked as they move around the world without adding a bunch of extra code to complicate things.

Having played it, this isn't really accurate. The Nemesis system also alters the character's strengths and weaknesses and they get more strengths and lose weaknesses as they get stronger. Certain characters are immune to takedowns or can instantly kill mounts but may be vulnerable to fire or easily terrified by bugs or whatever. Sometimes they gain new special moves or will have an army of bodyguards or whatever. It absolutely influences the difficulty of enemies.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread