Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If Dany before she reaches Westeros it will be the worst shaggy dog story ever. And hilarious.

No but you see it subverts expectations because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mind the walrus posted:

Bullshit. Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, and Brienne all have thick-rear end plot armor and he made Bran a presumably immortal time-travelling tree. Sure he "killed" Jon but I think we all know in our hearts that that's a fake-out. Hell he brought Theon back from a presumed death after two entire books without him.

Nothing about Theon's capture implied he was killed off. Given the kid of crazy fucker he was dealing withI'd have been shocked if he was actually just killed since he'd have been such a huge bargaining chip if nothing else.

Both Ned and Robb's deaths were stupid as hell, Robb's literally being "like my dad I'm honorable to a fault so I'm going to do something really loving dumb" while also managing to be a loving prodigy of warfare as he was routinely beating forces lead by people with more years experience leading in war than Robb spent being alive. The only reason Robb's idiot actions make sense is if it's GRRM's cop-out for Ned/Jon with a "look, see, even his eldest son can be a dumbass in a moment of weakness!" I think GRRM even mentioned in a past interview that he had written himself in to the problem of Robb being an amazing commander so getting rid of him on a battlefield just wouldn't work.

Sansa's plot armor makes sense considering how politically valuable she is.

As for the Wall: (WoW stuff)Melisandre is supposedly a new POV character in the next book and if Jon's still alive there's not a real good reason to have two POV characters together like that. If Jon's alive and heads to Winterfell there's no reason she wouldn't be going with him either. Even in the show when Mel goes and meets Dondarrion and sees the revival she's shocked as hell which means she had no idea about being able to call someone back so having her do it to Jon would be dubious. Not to mention he got Caesar'd pretty badly and the only way he wasn't mangled to gently caress is if Wun Wun suddenly went after the Night's Watch or the Wildlings rushed to defend and save him whether as thanks for letting them through the wall safely and trying to help out, or because Jon dead = chaos and fighting the Night's Watch (and probably each other since Mance is gone). Death because you're honorable to a fault and let it blind to you your own self-preservation while trying some greater good thing wouldn't be new for men from Winterfell.

e:

Jeffrey posted:

I don't see how one of (Roose,Ramsay,Stannis,Asha) don't die in the battle of winterfell, one of them has to win. I think Aegon's time is limited, unless they do some weird Dany as the villain thing and he ends up actually being king. Littlefinger I'm unsure about, he's a player in a good position, but certainly served his story role several times over. He's gonna littlefinger Sansa some more, but I see her getting revenge at some point in the future. Stoneheart might well kill someone too though given that she's cut from the show, maybe not.

If Aegon turns out to be the real deal there's no reason she wouldn't be happy about it as her whole thing about her right to rule comes after her brother dies and because she believes she's the last one left but if her brother's son is alive and fighting their enemies? The baby she had a vision about and her brother proclaimed as the prince that was promised? Besides her family is rather heavily inbred so it's not like a male heir showing up would cut her off from the throne if she really wants it. It'd be easier than them destroying each other her killing the rightful heir with her dragon WMDs.

It'd also lead to the whole "the ending is something people might not like" thing GRRM seems to suggest. What better :fuckoff: ending than to have the series end with the original ruling house back on the throne and multiple great houses in ruins? Either way, Plot Armor only lasts until the writer decides to remove it, like with Robb Stark. An amazingly brilliant leader who couldn't tell people were acting odd at the Red Wedding, or notice that his dire wolf was freaking the gently caress out because it could tell something was up.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 22, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kuiperdolin posted:

If Dany before she reaches Westeros it will be the worst shaggy dog story ever. And hilarious.

No but you see it subverts expectations because

A bunch of people who named their kids Kelly C. will cry bitter tears as they stack their Targ edition DVD box sets in pyres, realizing all too late that GRRM is an absolute fucker.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Bullshit. Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, and Brienne all have thick-rear end plot armor and he made Bran a presumably immortal time-travelling tree. Sure he "killed" Jon but I think we all know in our hearts that that's a fake-out. Hell he brought Theon back from a presumed death after two entire books without him.

Martin's reputation for killing characters is built almost entirely around Ned, Robb, and Cat Stark biting the big one and he brought Cat back.

I cannot wait for the show to finally progress far enough that even the idiot show-babies realize that quite a few the main cast are safe as houses for a long while to come.

Hmm true, but Ned and Rob were pretty sympathetic characters, so I guess they stick out in your mind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I just think it's a better story if she is so enraged and filled with bloodlust after poo poo goes down at meereen that she will fight anyone who gets in her way, in denial of him being a targ or not. Sure, they might buddy up and be pals who unite the kingdom and kill the zombies and stuff, I just don't see grrm running with it that way. I pretty much agree with the Dany sections of that blog that was posted awhile back, meereenese blot.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Melisandre is supposedly a new POV character in the next book and if Jon's still alive there's not a real good reason to have two POV characters together like that.

Melisandre was already a POV in Dance and they were already together then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I forgot she was. I guess that says just how much I paid attention to her chapters.

Jeffrey posted:

I just think it's a better story if she is so enraged and filled with bloodlust after poo poo goes down at meereen that she will fight anyone who gets in her way, in denial of him being a targ or not. Sure, they might buddy up and be pals who unite the kingdom and kill the zombies and stuff, I just don't see grrm running with it that way. I pretty much agree with the Dany sections of that blog that was posted awhile back, meereenese blot.

I'm not sure Barristan would just sit back and let her kill Aegon, Queensguard or not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forgot she was. I guess that says just how much I paid attention to her chapters.

I'm not sure Barristan would just sit back and let her kill Aegon, Queensguard or not.

I guess I envision him as leaving her earlier when it's clear she's gone mad, but not killing her himself. Then the kingdom can fight the forces of ice and fire at the same time. This is silly speculating at this point though, no point in reasoning two steps ahead.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Aegon is more than likely cut from the show so depending on how far the show is deviating I doubt he has too much influence on the book timeline

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
The next major character death in the ASoIaF saga will be the biggest of all: George R.R. Martin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

p.crestmont posted:

The next major character death in the ASoIaF saga will be the biggest of all: George R.R. Martin.

It is known.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Evil Fluffy posted:

Death because you're honorable to a fault and let it blind to you your own self-preservation while trying some greater good thing wouldn't be new for men from Winterfell.

jon using his position as lord commander raise an army to fight a battle against the lord of winterfell after he used his position as lord commander to send people to kidnap the wife of the lord of winterfell because she is his "sister" after he swore that she was no longer his sister and he would never have any part in southron politics is not honour. its not honourable. its oath breaking and he should die for it just like his cousin and uncle.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Barristan kills Dany and becomes Queenslayer. Jaimie looks on smugly.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

kcroy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much building up to that. Dany goes mad, Barristan realizes Jaime did the right thing, honor be damned. Whether he's successful or not, however, is another question.

syscall girl posted:

It is known.
It is known.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

kcroy posted:

I actually like this a lot, but since Selmy has never been a major character I doubt it would happen.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I really hope ~Khaleesi~ goes mad and is actually the villain

Probably won't happen but the reaction that show viewers would have would make it so worthwhile

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jeffrey posted:

I'll :toxx: that at least 3 of those characters(Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, Brienne, Stannis, Melisandre, Victarion, Barristan, Jorah, Varys, Illyrio, Euron, Asha, Davos, Littlefinger, Gilly, Rickon, Ramsay and Roose Bolton, Connington and Aegon) die in the next book if it's ever published. (It won't be.)

You'll toxx that at least three of them die, and if you're wrong... ?

(There's supposed to be a consequence. That's how a toxx works.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's pretty much a given that failing a toxx means you eat a ban. You don't really have to say it anymore.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

this_is_hard posted:

Probably won't happen but the reaction that show viewers would have would make it so worthwhile

Since about halfway through the first book it seemed obvious she was being set up to be the big villain, so I'm guessing it probably WILL happen. Her whole story is a fairly typical fantasy "rise of the evil queen" backstory. Since there is a POV during the part that is usually revealed after we already know how terrible the evil queen is, a lot of people don't realize that and sympathize with her. By the end of book 3 she's pretty much already the evil queen but not completely corrupted yet, by the end of book 5 she's having children tortured and deciding that she isn't going to shy away from the crazy behavior she's been feeling guilty about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's pretty much a given that failing a toxx means you eat a ban. You don't really have to say it anymore.

Ideally it'd be a bet with the other guy for the same thing but I'll do it either way, and yeah that's what I meant.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's a pretty safe toxx, though, considering the next book will never come out.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

It's a pretty safe toxx, though, considering the next book will never come out.

The forums and all of us will be long dead before the next book ever comes out.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I like Jeffrey's chances. The number of POVs in these books has exploded. If Martin doesn't need a character's viewpoint anymore he's gonna whack 'em. Or we are looking at eight loving (hypothetical) books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hopefully if the next book comes out it's just a POV bloodbath so that in 2045 when robogrrm finishes the first chapter of the 6th book he's able to do so without as many characters to deal with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Ideally it'd be a bet with the other guy for the same thing but I'll do it either way, and yeah that's what I meant.

No way. Instead of a ban you should have to read a chapter of our choice of those characters that didn't die audiobook style including fun voices and sound effects made by your voice only. Here's hoping Danny doesn't die.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

No way. Instead of a ban you should have to read a chapter of our choice of those characters that didn't die audiobook style including fun voices and sound effects made by your voice only. Here's hoping Danny doesn't die.

This sounds pretty funny but I'd want to bet against someone so they have to audio record a gruesome death if I'm right. Any takers?

Alternatively a video of themselves on the toilet doing Tywin's last scene would suffice for me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Trying not to kinkshame here...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

This sounds pretty funny but I'd want to bet against someone so they have to audio record a gruesome death if I'm right. Any takers?

Alternatively a video of themselves on the toilet doing Tywin's last scene would suffice for me.

I already did a partial reading of a Game of Bones chapter and I'll finish it if you're right.

Not that I disagree, really or that any new books will be forthcoming.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Trying not to kinkshame here...

...a tasteful video, you know, like that one popular tv show had

e: that's a deal, syscall girl

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2014

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this_is_hard posted:

I think this is possible, and while not an original subversion - would be very much in theme for him. Personally I'd love to see mouthbreather go evil, but don't think that will happen.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I like Jeffrey's chances. The number of POVs in these books has exploded. If Martin doesn't need a character's viewpoint anymore he's gonna whack 'em. Or we are looking at eight loving (hypothetical) books.

I personally think he needs 10 books to do the job. 8 books is definitely going to happen. Or will never happen. Look, the fat gently caress is going to write until he dies. That is how many books we get. There is no ending. He is a loving TV writer, ok? They don't do endings until they are cancelled. And in our case, that cancellation will come in the form of an antibiotic-resistant strain of poo poo dick infection.

Jeffrey posted:

working on GOB in some form should be the currency of exchange for the bad thread. Everyone wins ( loses ).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh my God I'm 80% of the way through the 5th book, why the hell did it seem like a good idea to give Jon loving Connington a POV chapter where he could talk for (what seemed like) endless pages about loving Griffin's Roost? Why the poo poo do we care?

I guess it's okay when it ends with, "oh remember Aegon? Yeah he's still with Griff and he's about to do A Thing."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You're learning history and how gay he was for Rhaegar and revealing that he has greyscale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jeffrey posted:

You're learning history and how gay he was for Rhaegar and revealing that he has greyscale.

That's one thing I was confused about. He made a big deal about how you should never rescue a man if you know he has greyscale, but don't we basically know by now that Tyrion doesn't have it? So how did Griff get it?

Granted, I have like 5 more chapters left.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
It could be because medieval people don't have a firm grasp of germ theory or how diseases spread, so he's probably totally wrong about fantasy leprosy

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

COOL CORN posted:

That's one thing I was confused about. He made a big deal about how you should never rescue a man if you know he has greyscale, but don't we basically know by now that Tyrion doesn't have it? So how did Griff get it?

Granted, I have like 5 more chapters left.

Presumably in the same encounter that made them afraid of Tyrion. Jon C. narrates he regrets pulling Tyrion out of the water, so it probably happened right then.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
The only good part of Book V was Barristan the Bold breaking bad with the Brazen Beasts.

Well, that and the exciting return of troll 4 life Varys which comes at the expense of one of the better characters in King's Landing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Kurtz posted:

The only good part of Book V was Barristan the Bold breaking bad with the Brazen Beasts.

Well, that and the exciting return of troll 4 life Varys which comes at the expense of one of the better characters in King's Landing.

2 actually.

Oh, "better." My bad.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Oh my God I'm 80% of the way through the 5th book, why the hell did it seem like a good idea to give Jon loving Connington a POV chapter where he could talk for (what seemed like) endless pages about loving Griffin's Roost? Why the poo poo do we care?

I guess it's okay when it ends with, "oh remember Aegon? Yeah he's still with Griff and he's about to do A Thing."

That was one of the better chapters of the book, next to Theon's arc and a couple Victarion and Asha chapters.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh hell yeah did Quentyn just die? Nice, something good happened in this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The last book was better than the one before it. Neither one actually resolved any arcs though, so that's not saying too much.

jsoh posted:

jon using his position as lord commander raise an army to fight a battle against the lord of winterfell after he used his position as lord commander to send people to kidnap the wife of the lord of winterfell because she is his "sister" after he swore that she was no longer his sister and he would never have any part in southron politics is not honour. its not honourable. its oath breaking and he should die for it just like his cousin and uncle.

To be fair, expecting what basically amounts to a fourteen year old king to do the honorable thing and have a perfect moral compass at all times is a tad unreasonable.