Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Son of a bitch, RG Wing Zero Custom and Beargguy Family? Bandai go easy,I have a full release schedule this fall as it is! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I might actually get the RG Wing Zero Custom. I like the stupid angel wings :allears:.

TaurusOxford posted:

On one hand, Bandai is finally making a RG kit i'm compelled to have. On the other, Wing Zero Custom? I would have expected the other 00 season 1 suits or even 00 Gundam before they would jump right to Wing.

They've only ever done protagonist and antagonist suits for Real Grade kits (save for the Skygrasper, and that was really only to pad out justifying the Striker Packs), so the only potential 00 RG would be the titular 00 Gundam. And to be honest, I expected the 00 Gundam to be the next RG too. Maybe Bandai will keep on their Wing kick and start releasing more HGAC kits so I can finally have a 1/144 Heavyarms :pray:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 22, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I just can't believe this year's big December release is an RG.

This entire year has just been a massive :psyduck:.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RG's quickly becoming my favourite line so, uh, yes, more of this. :stare:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess Bandai couldn't justify a super pricey MG or PG release for December when both Nighingale and Hi-Nu ver. ka were back to back, and RE 1/100 Gundam Mk.III is also due for a December release.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Looks like the backpack for the bearguy is a smaller bearguy :3:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, they decided to do a RG Z'Gok so their select is a little weird, yeah. Surprised they haven't done the ZZ yet! I'd expect that, the Unicorn and the Nu Gundam sometime. You think the Unicorn is a pain at 1/100, wait till you do one in 1/144...

StrifeHira posted:

And the Bearguy is even called "Bearguy Family."
Rinko must be so happy.

Oh my God, that Ez8 is sexy as gently caress.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am pretty sure ZZ, Unicorn, and Nu are all straight up out of the RG price point sweet spot.

But Bandai seems intent on going nuts lately so who even knows anymore.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BlitzBlast posted:

If they really want to mess with us they will announce, I dunno, RG/MG Kshatriya or something like that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dear poo poo, can you imagine RG Unicorn? They'd try to make that loving thing transformable. Those things would probably instantly explode into pieces.

Though now I sort of want a PG Unicorn. The increased size might make it work a bit better for transforming, and you could jam a few LEDs into the body to light up the psychoframe from the inside.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
God bless 'em, they finally managed to sneak R-Jarja into the HG line. Never thought I'd see the day.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I really hope that Bandai keeps on taking whatever drugs they've been on, because 2014 has been amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I look back at the time we were all tilting our heads at MG Phenex in nostalgia.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Progress on what i've been working on:

Two coats of paint, Future Pledge, flat topcoat, and it STILL easily scratches off. I hate acrylic paint... :argh:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Did you prime first?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So I'm guessing there's a 0% chance of the RG Wing Zero being able to even approximate lifting/pointing that buster rifle.

TaurusOxford posted:

Two coats of paint, Future Pledge, flat topcoat, and it STILL easily scratches off. I hate acrylic paint... :argh:

I hear you, I've got Vallejo Surface Primer, three coats of white, and Future on my Build Strike's shield and I can still see red if I ding it with my nail.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TaurusOxford posted:

edit: at the risk of sounding like some knowledgeless doofus...

Checking in from the miniatures crowd. What topcoat are you using? Also gently caress Pledge. Get yourself a nice gloss coat like Krylon or Testors Glosscote for actual protection, and use Dullcote or some airbrushed whatever you want for the actual finish, and that poo poo will be durable as heck

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 22, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Did you prime first?

It's kinda hard to prime when I have to hand-paint everything. I don't have an airbrush.

signalnoise posted:

edit: at the risk of sounding like some knowledgeless doofus...

Checking in from the miniatures crowd. What topcoat are you using? Also gently caress Pledge. Get yourself a nice gloss coat like Krylon or Testors Glosscote for actual protection, and use Dullcote or some airbrushed whatever you want for the actual finish, and that poo poo will be durable as heck

Mr. Hobby - Mr. Super Clear Flat.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If you can't prime, give the parts a good scrubbing with a fine cleansing powder like Bon Ami to rough up the surface. That will improve adhesion to an extent.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't say I've ever heard anyone refer to Krylon's stuff as "nice".

Well beyond "it's nice that it's easily available".

EDIT: Also you gotta give acrylics like a week to cure. They're still going to be fragile by sole nature of the chemistry behind it all, but it won't be as bad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 22, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'll warn you ahead of time that this is potentially :spergin: levels of prep.

TaurusOxford posted:

It's kinda hard to prime when I have to hand-paint everything. I don't have an airbrush.

Vallejo Surface Primer is my recommendation. I use it through an airbrush, but it goes on with a regular brush just fine. It is some kind of urethane and when you use it you'll see it has kind of a shrinking effect where you put it on and it clings tightly to maintain detail. It's not all that expensive either.

For the best possible adhesion for paint, don't handle anything with your bare hands. Oil from your skin can make it more difficult for paint to adhere to the surface. Because of that you'll also want to wash your parts in warm soapy water to get rid of any oil that might be on the stuff. Many miniatures painters stick their minis to cork or something like that so they don't have to touch the miniature directly. I use nitrile gloves.

quote:

Mr. Hobby - Mr. Super Clear Flat.

I recommend you experiment with sprays that are intended to be more durable than a model or miniature needs. Wargamers protect their miniatures with poo poo that is designed to stand up to constant rubbing against foam and manipulation by hand, but we tend not to have much in the way of moving parts. I think there's a solid middle ground somewhere, but the Best Practice is to first coat with gloss for protection, then go back over with the desired finish.

This is what I've learned from painting miniatures, and my paint jobs might not be perfect but they're drat durable. I'm new to gunpla but I'll be fully painting an HG for my next model. If you want I can take a bit of sprue and paint it up and show you what kind of durability you can expect from what I just wrote.

BlitzBlast posted:

I can't say I've ever heard anyone refer to Krylon's stuff as "nice".

From my memory, SPECIFICALLY Krylon's gloss clearcoat is "nice" in that it's very durable.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

And now for some horrible panel lining by yours truly.

I don't have steady enough hands to do the power cables (I just found out those are power cables!) on gouf custom well enough, or maybe just that material doesn't take pen well not sure.

The face on build strike gundam came out pretty decent for the first time doing a gundam face. The gundam pen came out ok on the knee pad and the other places, wish I had a white one for the wings cause those decals were a pain to deal with.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

signalnoise posted:

I'll warn you ahead of time that this is potentially :spergin: levels of prep.

You're right - that is :spergin: levels of prep for me. I lack the patience for that kind of work, and even if I did have the patience I live in an area where all that stuff is non-attainable.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Krylon may be durable but the finish quality leaves a lot to be desired. For gaming miniatures it's probably fine but I've never managed to get anything but a grainy, pebbly spray out of a Krylon can and that is not a desirable look for scale models, generally speaking.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

In that case I'd just say go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and pick up some Glosscote and Dullcote.

Or, you know, wait a while before you touch your paint.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

how many layers of future? I usually topcoat at least two different times- once for individual pieces and once after I made the leg/arm/ whatever.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

how many layers of future? I usually topcoat at least two different times- once for individual pieces and once after I made the leg/arm/ whatever.

Just one. I thought that combined with the flat top coat would be more than sufficient.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TaurusOxford posted:

Just one. I thought that combined with the flat top coat would be more than sufficient.

There's your problem, flat coats aren't nearly as durable as gloss so if you didn't let the gloss cure it won't get the indestructability future is famous for.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

with future it's hard to completely cover a piece in one coat. multiple thin coats of future worked for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm actually really impressed by the new Ingram Master Grade.

They actually managed a way to use real cloth covers for the joints :allears:. Now I want them to remake the original Ingrams all the more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really want a PG 00Raiser someone please stop me because I can't afford it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The MG is better. And you can probably afford that! :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Qan(T) is something like 45 bucks on Amazon pretty frequently, the only real downside being it's the 00 Qan(T) and only has a swordgun and the funnels. I think the 00 Raiser is usually in the 60-70 range since it comes with the 0 Raiser and three fairly large swordguns.

EDIT: Also it comes with an LED.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TARDISman posted:

The Qan(T) is something like 45 bucks on Amazon pretty frequently, the only real downside being it's the 00 Qan(T) and only has a swordgun and the funnels. I think the 00 Raiser is usually in the 60-70 range since it comes with the 0 Raiser and three fairly large swordguns.

EDIT: Also it comes with an LED.

Also, the 00 Raiser is more stable for posing, but good luck with the huge back parts, get a action base if you want to use the Raiser on the 00. The Raiser also comes with really nice effect parts and I think the big sword on it looks waaay better than the funnel sword, though that is subjective.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

As has been said you gotta leave the acrylic alone for like a week. Patience is a virtue on this one.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally The Worst posted:

Someday you are going to wake up and realize you've wasted thousands of dollars on a pile of bona fide pussy repellent which has no resale value, holds no aesthetic interest for 99% of the population, and has no use beyond cluttering up your life and serving as a tangible reminder of your poor impulse control.

Or you could exercise some restraint and not buy a bunch of $300 model kits one after another, your choice.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 23, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Buy them one after another, gundams are a symptom not a cause.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Literally The Worst posted:

PGs generally aren't very good! Buy several MGs instead!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just post a video of you burning money while shining finger blares in the background.

I'm assuming you are joking about not being able to afford this, in the retro games thread newer people would go hog wild then end up with a for sale thread 4 months later cause they can't afford rent. At least in the retro thread you could resell it, but if this is at all straining your finances stop now.

Space is def another concern, weren't you trying to find space for a neo zeong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Buy them one after another, gundams are a symptom not a cause.

I dunno, inhaling that much sprue dust in a short amount of time can't be healthy for the brain.

• Locked thread