Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The new job has zero 401k, her current is 50cents of every dollar up to 6%. She sent back a counter offer with an extra 5k salary and 3 weeks of vacation but they said sure, we can increase your wage, but we're halving your stock options.

She wants to take it less for the money, but believes it's a better career move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
403(b) crew :( 11% of my paycheck rots in a non-interest bearing account while it pays for pensions. It's for one of the better retirement systems in the country, but I really can't see myself doing 25+ years of public service to become eligible to get mine.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sorry to rehash the headset chat, but can anyone recommend a bluetooth headset with microphone? I've used a wired Logitech headset in the past that works well enough, but the wires consistently wear out at the plug end in pretty short order, and I've never been able to find an adapter that will let me use the microphone on my phone as well as the speakers. LG has something called the Tone Pro which uses that goofy horsecollar thing, but it seems to be well reviewed. Both ears is a must since I'd like to use it for regular old headphones as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have a few coworkers who swear by these guys: http://amzn.com/B00HVBPRUO

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

The new job has zero 401k, her current is 50cents of every dollar up to 6%. She sent back a counter offer with an extra 5k salary and 3 weeks of vacation but they said sure, we can increase your wage, but we're halving your stock options.

She wants to take it less for the money, but believes it's a better career move.

Eh, so it's more like a 3% match and now it's halved how much is required to vest?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, my old boss is fine having me on as a contractor, but neither he nor I know what's involved for me to properly work out a contract and invoice the company. Is there a good primer you guys would recommend for that?
Talk to a tax attorney about your obligations, because there are very specific IRS requirements regarding quarterly tax estimation as a 1099 contractor. The contract can say whatever you want and you might want it reviewed by a lawyer either way; just remember when writing that a good contract is supposed to be equitable and fair for all parties involved. Invoicing is super-easy with the right software; FreshBooks is free if you have three or fewer saved clients.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, so it's more like a 3% match and now it's halved how much is required to vest?

4 years. The stock she would be getting would be worth $30,000 at current rates.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

The director of my department, whom I have worked under for the past 11 and a half years, has very suddenly been replaced. We actually thought he was fired last week but today we find out that he has been moved to a different dept in a non director position and will be replaced by the director of IT from the small private health care facility we bought a couple years back.

So my question is am I right to think that I am basically starting over here? The nearly 12 years of work and trust that I've built up is meaningless now since this new guy doesn't know me or my skills? I'm not at all afraid he will just walk in and start firing people but I'm sure he will want to put his stamp on things so it looks like he is doing something. And some of those things may not even been bad but I'm thinking I need to get my resume up to date and start looking around the area for new jobs since if I'm going to start over working for someone else I may as well do it someplace that is gonna pay me more. Or am I just being paranoid?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry to rehash the headset chat, but can anyone recommend a bluetooth headset with microphone? I've used a wired Logitech headset in the past that works well enough, but the wires consistently wear out at the plug end in pretty short order, and I've never been able to find an adapter that will let me use the microphone on my phone as well as the speakers. LG has something called the Tone Pro which uses that goofy horsecollar thing, but it seems to be well reviewed. Both ears is a must since I'd like to use it for regular old headphones as well.

I bought some Jaybird Bluebuds X as I wanted some that I could work out with and not worry about them dying. I've only used them to talk with a couple of times and they seem to work okay, but they're not too great if you're in a noisy environment like they gym or a server room. Also, they did end up dying but I had the replacement plan from BestBuy, so I was able to get them replaced easily. I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

BooDaa posted:

The director of my department, whom I have worked under for the past 11 and a half years, has very suddenly been replaced. We actually thought he was fired last week but today we find out that he has been moved to a different dept in a non director position and will be replaced by the director of IT from the small private health care facility we bought a couple years back.

So my question is am I right to think that I am basically starting over here? The nearly 12 years of work and trust that I've built up is meaningless now since this new guy doesn't know me or my skills? I'm not at all afraid he will just walk in and start firing people but I'm sure he will want to put his stamp on things so it looks like he is doing something. And some of those things may not even been bad but I'm thinking I need to get my resume up to date and start looking around the area for new jobs since if I'm going to start over working for someone else I may as well do it someplace that is gonna pay me more. Or am I just being paranoid?

Why should what you did 12 years ago matter very much today regardless? Do a good job and you're fine.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

401k chat, just want to brag, I put in 6%, university matches it and throws in an additional 4%. Free money!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

BooDaa posted:

So my question is am I right to think that I am basically starting over here? The nearly 12 years of work and trust that I've built up is meaningless now since this new guy doesn't know me or my skills? I'm not at all afraid he will just walk in and start firing people but I'm sure he will want to put his stamp on things so it looks like he is doing something.
I am not trying to scare you, but you should at least consider this is possible. He knows you are loyal to your old director and he knows that you are probably going to be resistant to change (the change being doing things his way from now on). I'm not saying it's likely, but you should at least be considering the possibility.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Reiz posted:

Anyone have any experience in automating SSH to talk to Cisco equipment?

I've been using Net::ssh::Perl, Net::Open-SSH, and a little bit of Powershell-SSHSessions but they're all kind of crap. Well, Net::Open-SSH is pretty decent but unfortunately none of the RSA keys on our networking devices are 768 bit so OpenSSH refuses to connect to them. Recompiling OpenSSH or re-generating RSA keys are not available to me at the moment (I'm the junior).

RANCID works for basic commands if you're just doing a simple script. The proper way to do this these days is by using Netconf:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/12_2sx/nm_12_2sx_book/nm_cns_netconf.html

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

hanyolo posted:

RANCID works for basic commands if you're just doing a simple script. The proper way to do this these days is by using Netconf:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/12_2sx/nm_12_2sx_book/nm_cns_netconf.html

What makes this method better than expect or one of the perl ssh modules? From a quick read it seems like it makes the whole process more complicated while producing the exact same output.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, after trying for three months, I finally managed to land a job in IT. I had been unhappy in my previous career and decided to make a change so I studied and obtained my A+ cert with the help of some of the resources in the cert thread. I had some difficulties actually landing a job due to my lack of experience in the field, so I was in the process of studying for the Network+(got about as far as learning to subnet) when a recruiter called me back with an offer. I've got a one year contract as desktop support at a local hospital.

Since this is my first time working with computers in a professional setting, specifically a hospital, does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what to brush up on before I start in just under two weeks? I'm a little nervous and want to make the transition as smooth as possible.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

abigserve posted:

What makes this method better than expect or one of the perl ssh modules? From a quick read it seems like it makes the whole process more complicated while producing the exact same output.

The benefit is the automatic configuration backup and configuration change control, which is the primary goal of RANCID. All the necessary expect / tcl is built in and ready to roll right after install, so you don't have to be bothered with building the expect script for an IOS login, different command prompts at different privilege levels, etc. The ability to provide a list of commands to run across a set of devices is just an added perk.

I setup RANCID on our 3 different global networks and after some standardization with firewalls / acl structure / naming I went back and automated a lot of the daily tasks my O&M guys do. Since we run two large active/active datacenters, a typical network change request is done at both locations and prior to RANCID and tweaks, they would have to do the change request manually at both sites, now they just build a txt file and drop it in a directory and a cron picks it up and goes.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 23, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Congrats! Show up on time every single day, work hard, and iron your clothes. Physically being there, showing up ready to pick up the phone, and being responsible for what you do are my most desired qualities in a new tech.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Canemacar posted:

Since this is my first time working with computers in a professional setting, specifically a hospital, does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what to brush up on before I start in just under two weeks? I'm a little nervous and want to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Welcome to the wonderful world of IT!

Know the most minute details about little dumb things. Internet Explorer won't display the webpage. My bookmarks disappeared. My computer won't turn on. I can't load my emails. My computer is on fire. My screen is upside down. My pst's disappeared. My dual screens are reversed. I can't access the share drive. My cupholder won't open. My password is expired. My icons are too big. My icons are too small. My computer is speaking to me. My mouse is moving too slow. My keyboard is missing the space bar. How does computer?

Actually just go here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747

Suffer through that contract then move on!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A manager just told me that he's seen how well i've been working recently and told me to keep up the good work.

I don't even care that the rest of this place is awful most of the time, today has been nice and nothing will change that :unsmith:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dogstile posted:

A manager just told me that he's seen how well i've been working recently and told me to keep up the good work.

I don't even care that the rest of this place is awful most of the time, today has been nice and nothing will change that :unsmith:

Did this praise come with a payraise? If not... time for pot.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
More realistic: ask him to send you an email with such praise, save it in a folder with all your other "atta boy" messages you get as you deliver awesome service. Print them all out for your review time, and use them as leverage then.

On the flip-side, I have to write my junior admin today for still not getting it. I'm starting the paper trail because it's looking like it's just not gonna work out on the long run :smith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Got an email from the city about a job I applied for:

quote:

Dear FISHMANPET
Congratulations! Your name has been placed on the list of qualified candidates for the above position.
Hooray, I'm minimally qualified!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RadicalR posted:

Did this praise come with a payraise? If not... time for pot.

Of course not, i'm just happy. I've not been told i've done well once since i've been here, i'm usually invisible unless something has gone wrong that needs fixing. Having someone acknowledge i've made progress with how I work is just nice.

Got a pay review in a week anyway, by the way. Unrelated to today.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Canemacar posted:

So, after trying for three months, I finally managed to land a job in IT. I had been unhappy in my previous career and decided to make a change so I studied and obtained my A+ cert with the help of some of the resources in the cert thread. I had some difficulties actually landing a job due to my lack of experience in the field, so I was in the process of studying for the Network+(got about as far as learning to subnet) when a recruiter called me back with an offer. I've got a one year contract as desktop support at a local hospital.

This sounds pretty entry level, they're not going to be expecting much from you. Show up EARLY... 10 minutes at least. Show up well dressed and groomed. Ask questions if something isn't clear. Take notes. Hospital environments are probably going to have a lot of application support, printing support, less hardware support.

Seriously though, the first couple weeks of a new job set the impression of you for a long time. A guy that shows up clean/groomed and 10 minutes early will always leave a better impression that a guy that shuffles in a couple minutes late looking shaggy. Work quality doesn't even matter, it's that initial subconscious impression that you leave.

BooDaa posted:

I'm not sure what the org culture is like at your joint, but I think you're being a little paranoid. Odds are the guy is going to be looking at you, as a tenured experienced guy in the department as someone he can count on and go to when he needs something done. It really depends on the personality of the guy, but I wouldn't expect him to start rocking the boat much. Most people will get to know the lay of the land before they start making changes. There are guys that come in and gently caress everything up though, so it's not a bad idea to get your resume up to date and maybe see what else is out there.

It would be helpful to know why your old boss was removed from his position, and the new boss was brought in. Was your old boss not getting things done?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

hanyolo posted:

I should have mentioned I'm querying DHCP for an array of ip and mac addresses and then doing a layer 2 traceroute for all of them, approx 800 IP addresses across 6ish subnets, and then probably another 200-300 or so in production. It was requested that I update the switchport documentation because it's all kinds of hosed.

I ended up using Net::ssh::Expect which I got from browsing around CPAN. From what I understand it's basically a perl wrapper for Expect which is good because actually writing any Expect was making me strongly consider drugs and alcohol. Hilariously enough I didn't have to regenerate any of the device keys because all of them just let you telnet right on in. That's probably something to take a closer look at in the future :).

My predecessor(?), the previous networking dude, claimed to be a CCNP and actually inserted it into his company signature (which goes against policy) and then changed his title on internal documentation from Systems Administrator to Network Administrator. Turns out he had actually admitted to my boss a year or so back that he only ever took and passed CCNP: Switch. The infrastructure is about as hosed as you'd expect it to be given that this person had been in charge of it for the past 2-3 years.

We had STP configured, except it was the old pvst edition so our convergence time was looking like ~40-60 seconds. Not that it mattered, anyway, because we didn't actually have any redundant switch links, which I found out when one of our fiber uplinks went down and we lost connectivity for an entire building. Half of the devices weren't configured for radius authentication because he had no idea what radius even was, and going by our e-mail logs RANCID had been emailing the department on the hour, every hour from mid-2011 to about 2 months ago. The latest network diagram was taken 1.5 years ago and, until he was fired, was pinned to his corkboard with root accounts/passwords written on it in pen.

(e: yes some of them were cisco cisco)

I'm fixing most of it. Unfortunately my boss doesn't really know anything about Cisco devices, doesn't trust me because I didn't lie about having a P instead of an A on my resume, and is strongly resisting my attempts to make any changes. I don't particularly blame him, as he is ultimately responsible if something were to break, but it can be frustrating at times.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 24, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Reiz posted:

I should have mentioned I'm querying DHCP for an array of ip and mac addresses and then doing a layer 2 traceroute for all of them, approx 800 IP addresses across 6ish subnets, and then probably another 200-300 or so in production. It was requested that I update the switchport documentation because it's all kinds of hosed.

Can't you just pull out the ARP/MAC/DHCP tables from the device using SNMP instead of having a system which logs in and runs commands and an expect script? From there you can put all the results in a database or a file and do whatever you want with it. A quick google around shows that a lot of people have done this in a bunch of languages already or know of an open source application you can probably tweak to your use:

http://netdisco.org/
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/53546

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 24, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
New job is soooo stereotypically Northern Virginia IT. Buncha libertarian unix and linux neckbeards calling Windows "Windblows," talking about guns, and making fun of one another. Still have no idea what I actually do, but I'm getting paid, my boss is super chill, and everyone I've met so far is 1000% less terrible than the people I worked with in Afghanistan. I saw my PM wearing jeans today, too, so I think I can get away with it on Fridays maybe. Oh yeah, and they're sending me to a SourceFire course, which is pretty neat.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

hanyolo posted:

Can't you just pull out the ARP/MAC/DHCP tables from the device using SNMP instead of having a system which logs in and runs commands and an expect script? From there you can put all the results in a database or a file and do whatever you want with it. A quick google around shows that a lot of people have done this in a bunch of languages already or know of an open source application you can probably tweak to your use:

http://netdisco.org/
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/53546

Netdisco doesn't support ARP arp "sucks" from CISCO firewalls, so you'll have to customize it. SNMP is also a lot more process intensive (on the router/switch side) than CLI commands.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Speaking of IT Stereotypes has seen a coming occurrence of no helmets or seat-belt use?

Another thing that has boggled my mind from day one...

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

New job is soooo stereotypically Northern Virginia IT. Buncha libertarian unix and linux neckbeards calling Windows "Windblows," talking about guns, and making fun of one another. Still have no idea what I actually do, but I'm getting paid, my boss is super chill, and everyone I've met so far is 1000% less terrible than the people I worked with in Afghanistan. I saw my PM wearing jeans today, too, so I think I can get away with it on Fridays maybe. Oh yeah, and they're sending me to a SourceFire course, which is pretty neat.

Maybe I work in a vacuum or something but I've worked in "Northern Virginia IT" since 2007 and that doesn't sound like my experience. I don't work in contracting though. Oh and I can't imagine the shitbirds you must have had surrounding you in Astan.

Sourcefire, are you in the security group?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

internet jerk posted:

Maybe I work in a vacuum or something but I've worked in "Northern Virginia IT" since 2007 and that doesn't sound like my experience. I don't work in contracting though. Oh and I can't imagine the shitbirds you must have had surrounding you in Astan.

Sourcefire, are you in the security group?

I think being in contracting definitely has a lot to do with it. And yeah, I'm working in a security operations center. Literally every piece of hardware and software is different than what I used before at DoS, other than the Cisco switches.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Windblows? I'd expect to hear that from like, the guy with the sweetest gaming rig on the helpdesk, but farther than that I'd expect a little decorum.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Windblows? I'd expect to hear that from like, the guy with the sweetest gaming rig on the helpdesk, but farther than that I'd expect a little decorum.

In my day, I was known as the MS BOS

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Speaking of IT Stereotypes has seen a coming occurrence of no helmets or seat-belt use?

Another thing that has boggled my mind from day one...
I don't wear a helmet in my car or a seatbelt on my bike. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Misogynist posted:

I don't wear a helmet in my car or a seatbelt on my bike. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
I'd like to +1 your post.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We had a guy like that on the helpdesk, he didn't last to long because he was in a room full of people who were fine with windows supporting windows for people who liked windows and therefore most of us would just rip into him every time he mentioned his linux superiority.

I also currently have the sweetest gaming rig on the team. Not that I ever get the chance to use it anymore, being an adult is hard :smith:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

dogstile posted:

I also currently have the sweetest gaming rig on the team. Not that I ever get the chance to use it anymore, being an adult is hard :smith:

All my friends play xbone :smith:

plebians

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone in this thread currently attending or a grad from WGU?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Drunk Orc posted:

Anyone in this thread currently attending or a grad from WGU?

I am both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Maybe it's just contracting. I work for an IT contractor at a DoD site in the Midwest and it's totally like what psydude described. Very easy going though so I cannot complain. The money is very good.