Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

If I already have an unlocked phone, would I be able to get a referral and use it to get into the Bring Your Own Phone setup? This additional data gig looks pretty appealing, as I really only need 1GB to handle a little minimal browsing/searching on top of the work I've done making my phone 90% internal GPS/data reliant.

It's just too bad I'm switching a Verizon number and not a T-mobile one, I'd really like that $100 credit...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My M feels mostly fine actually - the 4.4 upgrade really helped with it's performance.

I saw earlier that you managed to unlock your M while switching from Verizon. While it's not really a necessity since I have another unlocked phone for this (two, actually), I'm currently using an M, as well, and am interested in what you did to unlock it to GSM-only service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I saw earlier that you managed to unlock your M while switching from Verizon. While it's not really a necessity since I have another unlocked phone for this (two, actually), I'm currently using an M, as well, and am interested in what you did to unlock it to GSM-only service.

Keep in mind that the latest software versions of the M have a devastatingly crippling bug with the wireless radios in them where if you use them on a GSM network, you get a crazy amount of lockups and battery drain. I lucked out and my friend/neighboor had a razr M on an older software version so I could gain root access and disable the service that goes crazy. You can unlock the phone without root, but you can't disable the service that makes it unusable.

Having said that, I basically just followed what this dude did:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2389740

The guide was written when the phone was still on 4.1.2, but it works fine with 4.4

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

If I already have an unlocked phone, would I be able to get a referral and use it to get into the Bring Your Own Phone setup? This additional data gig looks pretty appealing, as I really only need 1GB to handle a little minimal browsing/searching on top of the work I've done making my phone 90% internal GPS/data reliant.

It's just too bad I'm switching a Verizon number and not a T-mobile one, I'd really like that $100 credit...

You could port to a T-Mobile prepaid sim for a couple days and then port to Cricket and get the $100.

Yes, get a referral too and get that $25 credit as well. You can PM me or any other Cricket subscriber with your first and last name and email.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just activated a new iPhone with the TMo $30-plan activation kit from Walmart that says it includes $30 in initial value.

How do I get that initial value? The activation process seems to have charged my credit card and I couldn't find a refill code or anything in the Walmart box.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hey, has anyone actually gotten the extra 500MB from Verizon due to AutoPay? If not, I'm going to delete it from the OP.

My friend who went from ST to Verizon for their Moto G hasn't gotten his extra 500MB in data but he signed up a while ago.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone want to send me a Cricket referral by PM? Thanks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone want to send me a Cricket referral by PM? Thanks.

I think they only work via email. I don't mind, though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I tried tmo with the new Moto G, and the coverage at my house isn't as good as the coverage map implied. Probably going to Net10 as AT&T covers it all with no gaps.

Had a question about their 2 people family plan: does is the 3gb shared or per line? It's 5 bucks cheaper than if you do both lines separately with auto-refill.

Also the OP needs to be updated with new pricing http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I tried tmo with the new Moto G, and the coverage at my house isn't as good as the coverage map implied. Probably going to Net10 as AT&T covers it all with no gaps.

Had a question about their 2 people family plan: does is the 3gb shared or per line? It's 5 bucks cheaper than if you do both lines separately with auto-refill.

Also the OP needs to be updated with new pricing http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans

Net10 = expensive straight talk. Should be 3gb per line.

Cricket is better service for the same price.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SB35 posted:

Net10 = expensive straight talk. Should be 3gb per line.

Cricket is better service for the same price.

Can I ask what the difference is? Is it customer service?

We have friends that use net10 and they weren't too gung-ho about recommending them, although they haven't had any major problems.

With Cricket for 2 lines would it be 45 per line with auto-pay and then 10 bucks off second line = 80/mo??

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

We have friends that use net10 and they weren't too gung-ho about recommending them, although they haven't had any major problems.

With Cricket for 2 lines would it be 45 per line with auto-pay and then 10 bucks off second line = 80/mo??

Sounds almost right. They recently doubled data caps so it goes 1gb@$40/3gb@$50/10gb@$60 or something thereabouts. Discount $10 per line per line (so 10 off your second 20 off your third, etc up to your 5th line) for family discount, so it's 30/40/50 per line if you're doing 2 lines. I don't think autopay stacks with it but I think it applies to your first so it would be 85.

I could be wrong, I only glanced at the family plan description a while back, but I have a single line on cricket and am incredibly happy with everything but the "oh so you stole your phone" stigma that ATT is far too slow in washing away.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 23, 2014

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I don't think the autopay and family discounts stack. It's one or the other.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PurpleJesus posted:

I don't think the autopay and family discounts stack. It's one or the other.

Yeah, I went back and double checked it, edited accordingly while you posted :v:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Cricket has better customer service, better app, better online dashboard. The family and auto pay discounts don't stack so for 2 phones it's the same either way.

Cricket does have a good deal going getting $100 credit for switching from T-Mobile as well as a good referral program $25 per. So get a referral from another goon if you want to sign up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just got my referral money from whoever it was referred me. I am really enjoying cricket. Their customer service is really good and helped me when I couldn't change my billing address.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So two 3GB lines on Cricket would be...

$50+$50-$10(family discount on line 2)-$5(autopay discount on line 1)=$85/mo? Doesn't T-Mobile postpaid have a better deal than that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No? I just went on T-Mobile and two 3GB lines is 100 dollars a month.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cojawfee posted:

No? I just went on T-Mobile and two 3GB lines is 100 dollars a month.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

:eng99: I really wish tmo had better coverage where I live

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Radbot posted:

So two 3GB lines on Cricket would be...

$50+$50-$10(family discount on line 2)-$5(autopay discount on line 1)=$85/mo? Doesn't T-Mobile postpaid have a better deal than that?

No autopay discount with the family discount. It's one or the other. For two lines it doesn't matter which you do.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Do you have good T-Mobile coverage and 4 lines? Yes? Go with this. No? Cricket's is probably better and on AT&Ts network.
$90/Mo for unl/unl/3gb is pretty decent comparatively.

Cowjawfree I think it was me who referred you, glad it had worked out so well for you.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Brock Landers posted:

No autopay discount with the family discount. It's one or the other. For two lines it doesn't matter which you do.

So it's essentially the same price to get 2 lines at Cricket with 6GB total data, versus T-mobile with 4 lines and 10GB total data. And that's a postpaid plan, so roaming is included. Why not just get four sims and throw two of them away? Or give it to a parent or friend and look like a baller for paying their phone bill?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're right, a deal that expires in six days and reverts back to 1GB for each line in January 2016 is better than a normal deal at cricket that will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Radbot posted:

So it's essentially the same price to get 2 lines at Cricket with 6GB total data, versus T-mobile with 4 lines and 10GB total data. And that's a postpaid plan, so roaming is included. Why not just get four sims and throw two of them away? Or give it to a parent or friend and look like a baller for paying their phone bill?

As was mentioned above, Cricket probably has more robust network coverage, but that all depends on where you're going. Also, not everyone needs 3GB/data apiece, so if you need less, Cricket can be as low as $70 for 2 people.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cojawfee posted:

You're right, a deal that expires in six days and reverts back to 1GB for each line in January 2016 is better than a normal deal at cricket that will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

How do you know they're not going to change their plan limits, as they just did? I guess I'm not seeing how a deal that doesn't involve a contract *and* specifies exactly what you get until when is a bad thing. I mean, people in this thread change providers every few months.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Are there taxes on top of that T-mobile plan? Cricket is out the door pricing.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Anyone here on Cricket with an iPhone?

How the heck do you get iMessage to work? My girlfriend just switched from Verizon and ported her number, and now her iMessage doesn't download picture messages and doesn't let her send messages through her phone number (only through email address).

Almost seems like an APN or activation issue. Her old Verizon phone is still receiving iMessage text and picture messages when on WiFi to and from her phone number that was ported away.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone here on Cricket with an iPhone?

How the heck do you get iMessage to work? My girlfriend just switched from Verizon and ported her number, and now her iMessage doesn't download picture messages and doesn't let her send messages through her phone number (only through email address).

Almost seems like an APN or activation issue. Her old Verizon phone is still receiving iMessage text and picture messages when on WiFi to and from her phone number that was ported away.

When I switched to Cricket, it took me about 2 days to get MMS working. I kept re-entering the APN settings and restarting my phone. Eventually, it just started to work. APN settings are weird things, I guess.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

When I switched to Cricket, it took me about 2 days to get MMS working. I kept re-entering the APN settings and restarting my phone. Eventually, it just started to work. APN settings are weird things, I guess.

Where do you even enter the APN settings? She's telling me that she doesn't have access to the Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network menu that I see for APN adjustments.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pissingintowind posted:

Where do you even enter the APN settings? She's telling me that she doesn't have access to the Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network menu that I see for APN adjustments.

No idea on iphone. That's probably a question for the iphone thread :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FWIW, my wifes iPhone 5 just worked when I popped the Cricket sim in. She was on AT&T GoPhone previously, however.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

FWIW, my wifes iPhone 5 just worked when I popped the Cricket sim in. She was on AT&T GoPhone previously, however.

Most phones pull the APN settings automatically the first time you put in the sim, but it's easy for a phone to require slightly different settings or for the user to dismiss it by accident.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Radbot posted:

How do you know they're not going to change their plan limits, as they just did? I guess I'm not seeing how a deal that doesn't involve a contract *and* specifies exactly what you get until when is a bad thing. I mean, people in this thread change providers every few months.

Cricket will change their plan limits back to normal. They confirmed this to Android Police already and I believe it's on the page I mentioned in the OP.

However, when they do, as long as you were around when they switched it, then you're grandfathered in with the better limits.

Hell, they even went and let people who already signed up get the Auto Pay bonus when they started it and had originally specifically said it was for new customers only.

This isn't TracFone we're talking about here. They've been more upfront with (most) things than other prepaid providers.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I'm currently using ST and have had no problems other than the customer service. My phone was the ZTE Z930L until I fell asleep with it in my pocket and woke up to the phone still turning on volume controls working but the screen stayed black the entire time. So now i have stayed with them but switched back to my original Samsung SCH-S738C. It's a small screen but still usable unless your watching alot of media on it. Only thing I can really complain about is the slower than advertised 1 Ghz processor. Sometimes when trying to do things it will freeze for a few seconds. I have only had to do a battery pull on it 4 times and all of them were needed after trying to open the Official Facebook app.

I did a call to them about my ZTE phone and they claimed that within 5-7 days i would get a package to send the phone to them so they could determine if it could be fixed under their warranty. I have yet to see anything in the mail from them and that was 10 days ago. I am considering just eating the cost of buying another phone in the coming weeks. Just to have the faster processor for multitasking.

Overall other than the issue with my ZTE Z930L I can't complain about the service provided for the cost. Coverage in my area seems very good other than when going in to Wal-mart (I think that is more the fault of the building construction rather than the cellphone service). I can't really complain so until the time comes that ST is no longer viable for my needs I will continue to use them for my cellphone carrier.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I'm currently using ST and have had no problems other than the customer service. My phone was the ZTE Z930L until I fell asleep with it in my pocket and woke up to the phone still turning on volume controls working but the screen stayed black the entire time. So now i have stayed with them but switched back to my original Samsung SCH-S738C. It's a small screen but still usable unless your watching alot of media on it. Only thing I can really complain about is the slower than advertised 1 Ghz processor. Sometimes when trying to do things it will freeze for a few seconds. I have only had to do a battery pull on it 4 times and all of them were needed after trying to open the Official Facebook app.

I did a call to them about my ZTE phone and they claimed that within 5-7 days i would get a package to send the phone to them so they could determine if it could be fixed under their warranty. I have yet to see anything in the mail from them and that was 10 days ago. I am considering just eating the cost of buying another phone in the coming weeks. Just to have the faster processor for multitasking.

Overall other than the issue with my ZTE Z930L I can't complain about the service provided for the cost. Coverage in my area seems very good other than when going in to Wal-mart (I think that is more the fault of the building construction rather than the cellphone service). I can't really complain so until the time comes that ST is no longer viable for my needs I will continue to use them for my cellphone carrier.

Might as well just pickup a Moto E on amazon for like $100 if you don't care about it not having a front facing camera.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

Her old Verizon phone is still receiving iMessage text and picture messages when on WiFi to and from her phone number that was ported away.

This is probably the issue. With the old phone on WiFi, turn off and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime in Settings. Then do a General>Reset>Reset Network Settings or Erase All (if iCloud restore of her new phone was successful) so that her number is no longer programmed on the old phone.

Then on the new phone toggle iMessage and FaceTime off and then on to get it to associate her number and AppleID with the new iPhone.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cricket will change their plan limits back to normal. They confirmed this to Android Police already and I believe it's on the page I mentioned in the OP.

However, when they do, as long as you were around when they switched it, then you're grandfathered in with the better limits.

Hell, they even went and let people who already signed up get the Auto Pay bonus when they started it and had originally specifically said it was for new customers only.

This isn't TracFone we're talking about here. They've been more upfront with (most) things than other prepaid providers.

Cool, thanks. Seems like Cricket is only for people that can't get by on T-Mobile and T-Mobile roaming partners, so it's not for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll admit that if T-Mobile had a better network, I'd still be on T-Mobile.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll admit that if T-Mobile had a better network, I'd still be on T-Mobile.

That's my issue. They actually have a very good network here but I still find myself without signal in buildings. Also, when I venture out, things go to Edge very quickly. My Cricket sim arrives tomorrow and they are giving me $100 to switch. It's worth it to try them for a few months and see if I can live with speed limits and higher pings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What are the cellular bands that cricket uses?