Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

By your reasoning an Ubuntu developer who is supporting his package on Ubuntu and makes it work by this process would count as "unsupported" in Ubuntu and "supported" in Debian.

no that is just fine. that is a desirable state.

unfortunately that is not a guarantee, or even an expectation, in universe. once you enable the universe repo, you get the carefully maintained packages, and also three categories of broken poo poo:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ShadowHawk posted:

By your reasoning an Ubuntu developer who is supporting his package on Ubuntu and makes it work by this process would count as "unsupported" in Ubuntu and "supported" in Debian.
Similarly, a wholly working piece of software, tested and supported but requiring no changes from Debian, would somehow count as "unsupported" by you. It's like complaining that Ubuntu isn't supporting software because we're being good open source citizens and upstreaming our fixes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Similarly, a wholly working piece of software, tested and supported but requiring no changes from Debian, would somehow count as "unsupported" by you. It's like complaining that Ubuntu isn't supporting software because we're being good open source citizens and upstreaming our fixes.

i don't care which fixes get upstreamed, i care which fixes are guaranteed to be made available as updates in a timely manner, and which things they break

universe is a hodgepodge disaster

i can predict nothing

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no that is just fine. that is a desirable state.

unfortunately that is not a guarantee, or even an expectation, in universe. once you enable the universe repo, you get the carefully maintained packages, and also three categories of broken poo poo:

quote:

Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).
Make up your drat mind. Either you want it fixed Debian first and synced/merged to Ubuntu ("bad") or you want it supported and fixed in Ubuntu first ("really bad" or "really, really, bad")

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Make up your drat mind. Either you want it fixed Debian first and synced/merged to Ubuntu ("bad") or you want it supported and fixed in Ubuntu first ("really bad" or "really, really, bad")

i give zero shits about where it comes from, i care about what happens after a release

replacing things at random is really, really bad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what?

how do you deprecate minimising

you remove the minimize and maximize buttons from the window frame like an rear end in a top hat and then as an additional gently caress you to your users you start making apps draw their own window frames in order to ignore the hidden dconf preference that isn't even in Tweak Tool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

you remove the minimize and maximize buttons from the window frame like an rear end in a top hat and then as an additional gently caress you to your users you start making apps draw their own window frames in order to ignore the hidden dconf preference that isn't even in Tweak Tool

this is loving hilarious

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

It's in Tweak Tool, and CSD apps respect it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i give zero shits about where it comes from, i care about what happens after a release

I'm not sure you understand what ShadowHawk is saying. The Ubuntu "universe" is basically the same exact packages as what's in Debian. So why do you like Debian and hate Ubuntu?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm not sure you understand what ShadowHawk is saying. The Ubuntu "universe" is basically the same exact packages as what's in Debian. So why do you like Debian and hate Ubuntu?

greybeard stymie

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
(The answer is that all of Debian's packaging is poo poo and Ubuntu just copies it in.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
what do y'all think about software vendors providing their own packaging and repos for their software on a variety of distros and not bothering to get it included because they don't want to sync up their release schedule with ubuntu or rhel

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's in Tweak Tool, and CSD apps respect it.

the actual dconf pref isn't a pair of booleans and Tweak Tool isn't capable of fully configuring it and I don't know what a CSD app is, but all the GNOME apps that draw their own title bar using the lovely adwaita theme ignore the pref entirely

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
counter strike go runs like rear end on linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

the actual dconf pref isn't a pair of booleans and Tweak Tool isn't capable of fully configuring it and I don't know what a CSD app is, but all the GNOME apps that draw their own title bar using the lovely adwaita theme ignore the pref entirely

Feel free to come up with a better UI for GNOME Tweak Tool about configuring it. We've never had any way of configuring it other than two booleans, besides hitting some weird command line key. No other OS lets you tweak it in weird ways either.

CSD (client-side decorated) apps are apps that draw the titlebar. The screenshot shows both nautilus and GNOME Tweak Tool, both apps that draw their own toolbar (note the search icon in the titlebar of both) obeying the hint that was set and showing the Minimize and Maximize buttons.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Moreover, if what you care about is actual releases, the Ubuntu versions will be more up to date since Ubuntu releases more often (even if you only count LTSes).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

bro Suspicious Dish just posted a screenshot demonstrating that you're full of poo poo apparently mistaken and you respond by reiterating what you said the first time

maybe it was broken on 3.12 or 3.10 idk

gnome 3 is a real late bloomer tho there's no denying that.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

konsole
yakuake

thanks

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

interesting

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

bro Suspicious Dish just posted a screenshot demonstrating that you're full of poo poo apparently mistaken and you respond by reiterating what you said the first time

maybe it was broken on 3.12 or 3.10 idk

gnome 3 is a real late bloomer tho there's no denying that.

I was phone posting and Awful.app lost the ability to zoom in on images in iOS 8.

Have a screenshot:

Oh, and the old version of Tweak Tool didn't have two booleans, it had a drop down menu that it rendered a single pixel high because it couldn't match menu:minimize,maximize,close to any of its options and then didn't bother to set any of them to be active. (Not that this matters now except as an amusing and typical failure mode.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's bizarre. Again, it works perfectly for me:

Is this GNOME 3.12?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

debian continues to update those packages after a release, just like centos.

ubuntu is a crap shoot. sometimes packages get patched. sometimes they get hosed with. sometimes they get abandoned. enabling universe means you never know what you're gonna get

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 23, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Moreover, if what you care about is actual releases, the Ubuntu versions will be more up to date since Ubuntu releases more often (even if you only count LTSes).

the LTS is something ubuntu gets right, it's infuriating that debian has indefinite release cycles and only 1 year to migrate after a new version comes out. i cannot imagine running a business under those circumstances

of course, the only part that gets "released" and supported is the canonical core. so i guess that's great if i want to run php applications

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what do y'all think about software vendors providing their own packaging and repos for their software on a variety of distros and not bothering to get it included because they don't want to sync up their release schedule with ubuntu or rhel

well if you're selling software you pretty much have to do this.

it doesn't always make sense to have linux distributors being the ones shipping your software

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it doesn't make sense in the first place. Linux is the only platform where you have thirty exclusive clubs you have to convince to ship your software. Everyone else just has an open platform or an app store.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

it doesn't make sense in the first place. Linux is the only platform where you have thirty exclusive clubs you have to convince to ship your software. Everyone else just has an open platform or an app store.

you have a lot of luck getting your patches accepted for explorer.exe or solaris management console?

open source is a different animal.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This belongs here

In the beginning there was command line by Neal Stephenson

E: gently caress phone posting

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have a lot of luck getting your patches accepted for explorer.exe or solaris management console?

open source is a different animal.

yeah normal ones are like big cats that are fuckin' cool or or like a fuzzy yellow dog that wants you to search

linux is like a nematode or an amoeba or like a gross fuckin' bug that you really don't want to deal with unless you're one of those weirdo grown-ups that still thinks a spider is an acceptable pet just like a crossbow is a thing you should own

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

... unless you're one of those weirdo grown-ups that still thinks a spider is an acceptable pet just like a crossbow is a thing you should own

i.e. an open source developer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i.e. an open source developer

:thejoke:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah normal ones are like big cats that are fuckin' cool or or like a fuzzy yellow dog that wants you to search

linux is like a nematode or an amoeba or like a gross fuckin' bug that you really don't want to deal with unless you're one of those weirdo grown-ups that still thinks a spider is an acceptable pet just like a crossbow is a thing you should own
uh yellow dog is a linux

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the LTS is something ubuntu gets right, it's infuriating that debian has indefinite release cycles and only 1 year to migrate after a new version comes out. i cannot imagine running a business under those circumstances

of course, the only part that gets "released" and supported is the canonical core. so i guess that's great if i want to run php applications
Universe goes through the same release process as Main, it just gets less attention on average. Debian auto-imports get frozen midway through release, then the archive gets soft frozen for betas and so on. The entire purpose is the same, to minimize regressions from one stable release to the next.

When a newer Debian package is known to be better after Debian Import Freeze, it gets synced manually (or a particular patch from it put into just the -ubuntu version). I have, personally, done this process with all manner of random universe packages. This particular procedure, incidentally, is much more direct support than Debian Testing gets, which is an almost entirely automated process.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is this GNOME 3.12?

3.12? unreleased software? what do you take me for, a Gentoo user?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

3.12? unreleased software? what do you take me for, a Gentoo user?

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a time traveler.

http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/03/gnome-3-12-released/

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I know Linux on the Desktop is supposed to suck but every time I run an application it runs and I'm able to get my poo poo done. Gnome even does that thing I like where I just hit the Windows key or whatever FOSS nerds call it and type the first few letters of whatever I want to run and there it is. I was told this wasn't how it was going to be. Should I use xorg-twm instead? It looks sort of poo poo.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 23, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a time traveler.

http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/03/gnome-3-12-released/

quote:

GNOME 3 is available to install through most GNU/Linux distributions. Many offer the chance to try a demo before you install.
Fedora
Fedora provides GNOME 3 straight out of the box – just install or try it live. Fedora 20 includes GNOME 3.10.

openSUSE
GNOME 3 can be selected when installing the latest version of openSUSE. The latest version, openSUSE 13.1, includes GNOME 3.10.

Ubuntu GNOME
Ubuntu GNOME is an official Ubuntu flavour which provides a complete GNOME 3 experience. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 includes GNOME 3.10.

Many other distributions also include GNOME 3, including Debian and Arch Linux. Arch includes the latest GNOME version, 3.12.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sauer posted:

the Windows key or whatever FOSS nerds call it
that's the super key

no, the meta key

mine has a tiny ubuntu sticker on it covering the windows logo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

that's the super key

no, the meta key
it should really be meta, but 1990s idiots running emacs on commodity pc hardware with no meta key decided to use alt for that instead, and when pc keyboards finally got more keys they were so used to treating alt and meta as the same that they decided to make the meta key produce a different modifier instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's the Windows key. I am an authority on Linux. It is the Windows key. Now shut up about keyboard arguments.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

it should really be meta, but 1990s idiots running emacs on commodity pc hardware with no meta key decided to use alt for that instead, and when pc keyboards finally got more keys they were so used to treating alt and meta as the same that they decided to make the meta key produce a different modifier instead.

yeah "escape meta alt control shift" doesn't make sense if meta and alt are the same button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah "escape meta alt control shift" doesn't make sense if meta and alt are the same button
I shall write to rms and suggest he renames it esmcs in line with actual linux practice

(and he will ignore me because I didn't say gnu/linux)