Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love Kendrick but this is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

I love Kendrick but this is poo poo.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

spoils posted:

Kendrick is much smarter and intellectually attentive than any other rapper really (i.e Drake) and is making music that will be listened to and appreciated for a much longer time than any other rapper (especially Drake). While RTJ or most other rappers are trying to make really cool hip-hop, Kendrick is trying to make music cooler than hip-hop. Good song

Lol get the gently caress out with that corny rear end poo poo. Song loving sucks.

HorseRenoir posted:

Really ambivalent on this new Kendrick track. I think it's cool that he's trying to do something different and he's still obviously really talented, but I feel like he's slipping down the Eminem "technically impressive but ridiculously corny" rabbit hole, especially with that weak Andre 3k impression and those dated Carlos Santana guitars. The outro was cool I guess?

I don't see him like Em at all. Em's problem was that after he did his initial angry white boy shtick, he had absolutely nothing left to rap about. So he either makes music that's a shell of his old stuff, or he does stuff that does show off his technical skill but sounds emptier in comparison because there's nothing with substance surrounding it.

Whereas Kendrick cares about a whole bunch of stuff a whole lot which sometimes comes off as really corny/syrupy but dude's still doing poo poo that's following his "vision" or w/e and not just putting out music to refill his bank account. Like I think that song sucks, but it totally fits into the whole positivity vibe that Kendrick's stuff has and it wouldn't have sounded out of place on O.D. or Section 80.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

spoils posted:

Kendrick is much smarter and intellectually attentive than any other rapper really (i.e Drake) and is making music that will be listened to and appreciated for a much longer time than any other rapper (especially Drake). While RTJ or most other rappers are trying to make really cool hip-hop, Kendrick is trying to make music cooler than hip-hop. Good song
yo dude get this...gently caress off

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I dont think spoils was being serious you guys

This Kendrick snippet came out the other day and it really reminds me of Lil Wayne
http://www.audiocastle.net/tracks/view/144025-Kendrick-Lamar-Im-Da-Man-Preview

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Polo-Rican posted:

Carlos Santana - I (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

It's the Isley Brothers.

Song is alright, I like it but it's not a killer single.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

Really ambivalent on this new Kendrick track. I think it's cool that he's trying to do something different and he's still obviously really talented, but I feel like he's slipping down the Eminem "technically impressive but ridiculously corny" rabbit hole, especially with that weak Andre 3k impression and those dated Carlos Santana guitars. The outro was cool I guess?

It sounds a lot like that eminem track w Kendrick on it from mmlp2, especially production-wise

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
LOL @ people not recognizing the Isley Brothers. In the hiphop thread. I like the song, it sounds like stuff made by Native Tongues.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

CortezFantastic posted:

It's the Isley Brothers.

I know it's the isley brothers jeez the joke was that it feels like a corny as hell modern santana track

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

temple posted:

LOL @ people not recognizing the Isley Brothers. In the hiphop thread.

Dude, most of the posters here are young white kids.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Speaking of the Isleys remember these loving awesome videos? Goddamn the 90's were cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdu3pwT4ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKGDPSq03A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qnSz6Lh5pY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swP0h-K_Tss

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's the isley brothers jeez the joke was that it feels like a corny as hell modern santana track

Lol right that's why every single person referenced him after you mentioned it.

You mean modern Santana, as in just Santana? Dude hasn't changed much in his style outside of trying to get a few pop hits in his later days and hasn't been relevant since that Michelle Branch song a decade+ ago, or maybe that really lovely song with the dude from Nickleback.

Isley Bros were obviously inspired by Santana though so whatever

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

Dude, most of the posters here are young white kids.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Let's all just post selfies so we have more ammo to hate on each other

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

i'll donate real life money to charity if alansmithee does videos for all his posts

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hey we all get along here :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thathonkey posted:

hey we all get along here :colbert:

Yeah i mean, now that thread-divider neon icon actually came out, we can all get along for the next ten years / until the next riff raff album comes out (whichever comes first)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Yeah i mean, now that thread-divider neon icon actually came out, we can all get along for the next ten years / until the next riff raff album comes out (whichever comes first)

What's wrong with the AOTY?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

That and the great debate over whether or not gucci is amazing or straight garbage. He can only be one: Choose wisely.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Second half of the song is cool, at least. Not really into it overall tho

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahaha, what the gently caress? This is horrible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'm gonna pretend that Kendrick song didn't come out.

And you know what, while we're on the subject, I didn't really like his Flying Lotus collab that much (at least not compared to the known potential both artists have).

The gently caress are you doing, kdot, you were supposed to be the chosen one :ohdear:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I like the message of the Kendrick track but I really hate the flow and I'm not a real big fan of the beat either.

I hate that the style of it reminds me of something the Black Eyed Peas might release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thathonkey posted:

And you know what, while we're on the subject, I didn't really like his Flying Lotus collab that much (at least not compared to the known potential both artists have).
I like FlyLo and I like Kendrick but the production on that collab really sucked.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
If you're from this side of the pond, check out the Hip Hop Mastermind episode on BBC iPlayer. Semtex's knowledge on Kanye West and G.O.O.D music is loving incredible.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

i'll donate real life money to charity if alansmithee does videos for all his posts

what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? i mean if you're gonna try to take some weakass shots at least put some effort into it smh.

also lol like I give a gently caress about charity.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

I think i like it?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Carlos Santana - I (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

Lol. After reading all these comments I'm quite looking forward to this Kendrick track

asap-salafi posted:

If you're from this side of the pond, check out the Hip Hop Mastermind episode on BBC iPlayer. Semtex's knowledge on Kanye West and G.O.O.D music is loving incredible.

Semtex is such a dude, remember seeing him live and completely forgetting about his arm

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I like the new Kendrick track. Sure, it's not as interesting as some of his other songs (most of his other songs) but I think it's really good fun. I hope the rest of the album is pretty different though.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kendrick is always hit or miss to me. It's mostly he weird flows that can ruin a track for me.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
What happened to TDE? Like a year ago, people were saying Q, Kendrick, and Ab-Soul were some of the best rappers around. But Kendrick got up his own rear end, Q got boring, and Ab-Soul got terrible. Between Soul and Q's debuts this year, there are, what, three or four listenable songs? I don't even know about Jay Rock.

Listen to this and remember the glory days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_71q5lVEjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbgRmkzU08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF0NEkdd4ag

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Lancelot posted:

Between Soul and Q's debuts this year, there are, what, three or four listenable songs? I don't even know about Jay Rock.

Q had 3-4 good singles to himself dude

Under My Voodoo
Feb 17, 2004
http://www.passionweiss.com/2014/09/23/kendrick-lamar-i/

My sentiments exactly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Eh, I like positive/motivational rap (but more-so when it is mixed in with conscious rap) but the simple fact is that a lot of it is objectively terrible.

I'm not going to hate on a dude for doing it, but he better do it well, and "i" is not doing it well.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lancelot posted:

What happened to TDE? Like a year ago, people were saying Q, Kendrick, and Ab-Soul were some of the best rappers around. But Kendrick got up his own rear end, Q got boring, and Ab-Soul got terrible. Between Soul and Q's debuts this year, there are, what, three or four listenable songs? I don't even know about Jay Rock.

Kendrick's still the best rapper out, even if his last 2 singles have been kinda lame (the flylo one I dind't like much either). No idea what happened with the others though, maybe they just needed more time to make proper follow ups?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I feel like Q just sort of went in the wrong direction and Soulo didn't have enough direction and also didn't get any push/isn't signed to a major(not that that has anything to do with the quality of his album).

edit: Actually that's probably not really it with Q. Because his stuff that was more pop oriented was actually pretty good (Collard Greens, Man of the Year) it's just that aside from a couple tracks the rest of the album fell flat. I still have no idea how he managed to make a song that will never be played on the radio with 2 Chainz and Mike Will (and thought that was a good idea)

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 23, 2014

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
This Kendrick song is poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said this recently but I still think TDE could make an AMAZING compilation album if they wanted to. There's definitely no shortage of talent there. All the recent solo albums had at least one or two good songs (gKmc has way more ) and if they pooled their efforts, I think they could make something incredible.

Like, you could make an amazing album with a couple of tracks from Control System and the last two Kendrick and Q releases. I haven't kept up with Jay Rock but his album got good hype.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I always felt Q and Soulo were kind of overhyped cause of Kendrick. Not to say they aren't good, but I didn't expect much more than a couple bangers from them and with that in mind they're both great. If you can only find 3-4 listenables between the both of them on both their debut albums then ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Kendrick is talking just like Dr. Dre now

quote:

The ones that don't make the cut remain in a vault forever, he says. That vault includes songs that didn't make good kid, m.A.A.d. city. "I got a good kid vault that's probably gonna never come out just for my own enjoyment," he says.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.30762/title.kendrick-lamar-discusses-release-of-i-upcoming-album