Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't care for 8 much, but there are just so many amazing songs on the soundtrack that it's so hard to forget. I can name multiple field and battle themes and it gives us one of the best final boss themes, Maybe I'm A Lion. Then Uematsu got his band together and made it into a loving rock mix and it's the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDT_Y6Jj5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4nTWKW0G8

I'm actually tempted to pick up the Premonition DLC, that was a great track that didn't get played enough in the game. Other options I have my eye on are Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony (VII), Roses of May (IX) and Memories of Waves and Light (X-2), but Premonition is the only one of those that's an actual BMS.

I'm still disappointed Ukelele de Chocobo isn't a track in this game. :colbert:

Agreeing that XII's soundtrack is pretty forgettable compared to the other games, they didn't even use its vocal track for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

get the gently caress out

it sounds like the type of battle theme a high school orchestra would come up with

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
XII's soundtrack is amazing, but the synth instruments they ended up using are loving awful.

The OST sounds much better than in-game, but compare these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUYPy7GVn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_eLrffE8l8

with these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it3eUjnt2qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkcUEnpOaKI

A remastered soundtrack would be my only reason for buying a XII HD, honestly.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh wait, the new arrangement of Battle on the Big Bridge is good, so there's that. That's more Battle on the Big Bridge being a fantastic song in general though.

The XIII-2 arrangement also fantastic.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Other options I have my eye on are Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony (VII), Roses of May (IX) and Memories of Waves and Light (X-2), but Premonition is the only one of those that's an actual BMS.

Just a friendly reminder that Roses of May from IX and Battle 2 from V are free until the 30th.

Also I really like the Esper battle music from XII, it definitely gets you pumped for those fights

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Every Battle on the Big Bridge is the best Battle on the Big Bridge in the series.

I was super stoked when I realized the second song you unlock from Chocobo Dungeon in Curtain Call is a remix I'd never heard before.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The standard score for FFX may not be the greatest, but the piano collection is insanely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0a7fP46hUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqUxWCUnBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-j4jBFt4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51tR1qnL28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaqsMI743Y

FF8 has my favorite OST though.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Toxxupation posted:

Crazy Chocobo is a terrible rear end song and the only people who enjoy it enjoy annoying others by ironically claiming it is quality much like Eternity, since it is self-evidently a poo poo song

It's not even that I don't ironically appreciate stuff, I do, I just man do I hate it when people disingenuously claim crazy Chocobo is good as opposed to "hilariously bad"

It's almost like other people have different tastes in music.

I unironically think Crazy Chocobo is great.

That loving Sned posted:

Also that Sazh is the best, since he gets Haste so early and can get a weapon that prevents the stagger gauge from dropping so you can use triple Ravagers without any drawback.

Wait, what? What weapon is that?

Every time I think I've got stuff mostly figured out....

Toxxupation posted:

I love ffx, third or fourth favorite ff, but a lot of those scores are kinda dopey and placid

I mean it fits the theme of the game being essentially one long road documentary but none of the music is really energetic or interesting, it's not blood pumpingly good just sorta...there

Oh and the battle theme is No Good

:frogout:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYHhcYWttY

Esper Battle, pretty rad theme for getting jumped by a demi-god whilst you were out exploring some sewers/the sand caves/the cursed ruins of a forgotten civilisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tluTQuWX0Vw

Big boss fight against a significant character, poo poo just got real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4M5ivckBPQ

Fools, you fight the mightiest swordsman in all of Ivalice! You face me! Gilgamesh!

I'll concede the final boss theme is pretty unmemorable which is a big mark against any Final Fantasy, but XII is still swimming with fantastic tunes, they just have a bit less bombast than Uematsu's stuff.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I absolutely love X's OST in almost every track except for the standard battle one.

The one you hear 90% of the game.

That is the worst battle theme.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Wandering Flame was great. Shame that it was one of the few songs that the remaster kind of butchered. I prefer the theme for Seymour's final boss fight in the original too. I like the regular battle theme but it's partly because of nostalgia. Final Fantasy X was the first RPG I ever played. Bought the III DS remake soon after hoping it'd be as good as X and hoo boy, was I disappointed.

Final Fantasy XII's boss theme is good, aside from the fact that the best part (it's at .55) doesn't even play in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojdtfyKWP4

Edit: If FFXV's battle system is a rhythm game then I'm not buying it. I loving hate rhythm games.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 23, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

X will always be favorite OST just for having Fleeting Dream, Summoned Beast Battle, and People of The North. People of the North is extremely my poo poo, might be my favorite overworld area theme in all of gaming, and it's definitely my favorite "Snow Zone" theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nd4pvnkPUY

It's so tense but so pretty.

I've only played a lot of XII and the XIIIs besides that, but I really enjoyed all those soundtracks too. They're all pretty different from each other, though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Every Battle on the Big Bridge is the best Battle on the Big Bridge in the series.

I was super stoked when I realized the second song you unlock from Chocobo Dungeon in Curtain Call is a remix I'd never heard before.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-EoYkiabo

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

That's Hamauzu's magic piano fingers at work. He knocked it outta the park with SaGa Frontier 2 too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

This rocks, though?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Every theme is the worst theme in the series hth

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The first ~45 seconds of Force Your Way Ultimate, holy crap. I have no idea how I did this song in the first game.

And of course I need to beat it for #1 Platinum.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did you do Final Battle for FFIX on Ultimate? That song is loving bullshit.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
So far, FFXV's music reminds me of Craig Armstrong's work for Romeo+Juliet which had a clear influence on the game. Somnus sounds like O Verona and the vocal piece in the 2011 trailer was similar to Kissing You by Desiree. Even if a lot of stuff gets cut, I imagine Versus's music will make into FFXV.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

So far, FFXV's music reminds me of Craig Armstrong's work for Romeo+Juliet which had a clear influence on the game. Somnus sounds like O Verona and the vocal piece in the 2011 trailer was similar to Kissing You by Desiree. Even if a lot of stuff gets cut, I imagine Versus's music will make into FFXV.

Yeah I'd say as far as stuff that will literally just be carried over from Versus the music is a definite. I'm 100% sure that we'll see Somnus in the game.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first ~45 seconds of Force Your Way Ultimate, holy crap. I have no idea how I did this song in the first game.

Yeah. The last guy in the Platinum tier in Versus has that as his song and I've beaten the entire thing up to him but I just cannot do it. There's literally no breathing room int the song the notes just keep coming. You have to constantly be tapping the screen at what seems like all times.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Force your way and final battle both have these bullshit strings of short holds ending in swipes and it's the only thing that still really gets me in this game. Like I'm fairly dece and usually just gently caress up a couple notes into greats, but final battle...

:argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone should try the Ultimate version of Final Fantasy IV Battle Theme. That song wrecked me when it appeared at Expert during the second Quest Melody.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Rirse posted:

Someone should try the Ultimate version of Final Fantasy IV Battle Theme. That song wrecked me when it appeared at Expert during the second Quest Melody.

"Battle 1"? I didn't have tons of trouble with it, it's kinda slow.

I just wish the score value of notes were calculated consistently across different tracks, I mean on the one hand it's nice and tidy that every one caps at 9,999,999, but on the other hand, it's kinda boring and not nearly as impressive as a big huge number for a really hard song could be.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Also online people please stop ragequitting, I just want to give you this kickass medley with 3 black shards :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
All this talk about FFXII's ost just makes me want to replay it, which I haven't done in a long time because I want to play the international version my next run. I can only play it on a ps2 because my current computer isn't good enough to emulate via pcsx2, so ill play FF8 instead and marvel my favorite soundtrack in the series. :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Also online people please stop ragequitting, I just want to give you this kickass medley with 3 black shards :(
Is Sephiroth even worth the farming? I assumed not, and it was just lovely fanservice. Am I wrong?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Sephiroth even worth the farming? I assumed not, and it was just lovely fanservice. Am I wrong?

accordin to this he has one of the highest strength/magic/stamina scores in the game

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If you haven't already watched the FFXV trailer a dozen times, GameXplain has done one of their usual trailer analysis videos. There's nothing mindblowing there, and they don't recognize the Garulas as being throwback FF enemies, but some of the slow-motion and freeze frame stuff they do shows off just how pretty the game is, so that's neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfGpsUCYh7c

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you haven't already watched the FFXV trailer a dozen times, GameXplain has done one of their usual trailer analysis videos. There's nothing mindblowing there, and they don't recognize the Garulas as being throwback FF enemies, but some of the slow-motion and freeze frame stuff they do shows off just how pretty the game is, so that's neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfGpsUCYh7c

That has a pretty good breakdown of the battle system and makes me feel more optimistic that it won't be as lovely as that Tabata "one button" interview made it sound.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

That has a pretty good breakdown of the battle system and makes me feel more optimistic that it won't be as lovely as that Tabata "one button" interview made it sound.

I think that Tabata isn't allowed to really say too much about the battle system apart from broad stroke things which actually sound really bad when you just say them like that. "Well I wanted to make it one button because I'm getting old and I don't wanna be mashing on buttons" doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

But it seems like while there really is "one button combat" you yourself set up what actions Noctis will perform when you press that button before battle begins. There was a patent that for a battle system that Tabata designed that dates back to April of this year and according to the patents the amount of conditions you can amount for when deciding what types of actions Noctis will take when you press that one button seem to be vastly more complex than something like the gambit system in FFXII. Like, you can say "use this action when an enemy is 30 yards away, but use this other one if the enemy is 50 yards away".

What Tabata has been talking about in regards to the battle system seems to boil down to two things: Make the battles look more fluid and more realistic, and two, make it so that you don't have to physically do a lot of complex inputs in order to make battles look cool. In this case it seems to be "casualized" to a certain extent, but I'm thinking that most of the work that goes into battles will be more on the preparation and tactics than any sort of twitch gameplay.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mischitary posted:

I think that Tabata isn't allowed to really say too much about the battle system apart from broad stroke things which actually sound really bad when you just say them like that. "Well I wanted to make it one button because I'm getting old and I don't wanna be mashing on buttons" doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

But it seems like while there really is "one button combat" you yourself set up what actions Noctis will perform when you press that button before battle begins. There was a patent that for a battle system that Tabata designed that dates back to April of this year and according to the patents the amount of conditions you can amount for when deciding what types of actions Noctis will take when you press that one button seem to be vastly more complex than something like the gambit system in FFXII. Like, you can say "use this action when an enemy is 30 yards away, but use this other one if the enemy is 50 yards away".

What Tabata has been talking about in regards to the battle system seems to boil down to two things: Make the battles look more fluid and more realistic, and two, make it so that you don't have to physically do a lot of complex inputs in order to make battles look cool. In this case it seems to be "casualized" to a certain extent, but I'm thinking that most of the work that goes into battles will be more on the preparation and tactics than any sort of twitch gameplay.

Hmm, interesting. Here it is, if people want to see it. Haven't read it yet, but the illustrations show a PS Vita, though...

Edit: Ok, looking it over, it does seem likely that they're going for a system in FFXV similar to that described in the patent. What's shown in the patent is very much like the gambits of FFXII, except with almost entirely positional-based conditions. So rather than setting a bunch of conditions and having the game execute them automatically, you set a bunch of positional conditions, and execute them by pressing the button. This allows you to manually position your character and select your target, and thereby "choose" what attack you'll use by strategic positioning. So fall back to use magic, use the giant sword at mid range, and use a short fast weapon when in contact with enemies. The "gambits" can once again be arranged in an order of priority, so presumably if you don't have a lock on a specific enemy, the game will execute a move on an enemy that meets the highest-priority command. E.g. if you set "Contact with player-> Sword" first, and "Distance <3 meters -> Gun", and there are enemies at both ranges, you'll prioritize the closest one with a sword attack. In this way, the game would "play itself" less than XII or XIII, because attacks would only execute in response to your button inputs, and you would have to manually position yourself to use the attacks you want. I can see the game also throwing curveballs at you, like having kamikaze attackers that don't let you put distance between yourself and them, potentially forcing you to use your short-distance gambits.

In addition, it gives positional examples such as "Contact with Ally character" and "Contact with character with lowest HP", so presumably you can set up Noctis' or your Ally's gambits to prioritize protecting low HP characters or what-have-you. Example attacks include things like "Cooperation Attack A" and "Cooperation Attack B", so you may presumably be able to set up certain combo attacks with specific characters by getting close to them.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
RE: FFXV

Surprised people aren't talking bout features like the magic system or that monsters that tend to dwell in caves come out at night, forcing your party to camp to scare them away.

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-development-open-world-combat-demo

quote:

Weather has a tactical impact on battle conditions, with different types of magic having varying effects depending on weather patterns. Using fire on a clear day, for example, will not only hurt monsters, but also ignite surrounding area, make allies feel hot, and the like. As such, using magic can be a liability to Noctis, too.

Excited for this game. It sounds cool. I'm just trying to figure out how the battle system works, but I'm sure that there's a miscommunication somewhere. Doesn't help Tabata isn't a PR guy.

Shame people aren't willing to give it a chance and have decided to start complaining about the CASUAL MENACE without realizing the irony that Final Fantasy is the most casual of jrpgs. Jesus, gamers are crazy.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 24, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

RE: FFXV

Surprised people aren't talking bout features like the magic system or that monsters that tend to dwell in caves come out at night, forcing your party to camp to scare them away.

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-development-open-world-combat-demo

Excited for this game. It sounds cool. I'm just trying to figure out how the battle system works, but I'm sure that there's a miscommunication somewhere. Doesn't help Tabata isn't a PR guy.

Shame people aren't willing to give it a chance and have decided to start complaining about the CASUAL MENACE without realizing the irony that Final Fantasy: the most casual of jrpgs. Jesus, gamers are crazy.

The thing is that the concept of "a one button action game" doesn't sound good, like, at all. And that's all the headlines. "Tabata says he wants to make game more casual friendly". The thing is though, that what he seems to mean is that people who aren't good at action games should be able to play this game too because its a mainline Final Fantasy game now.

What I'm wondering is, that Tabata said that this game will definitely be shown at Jump Festa. Will it be playable there? I mean, there was a guy with a controller on stage at TGS basically playing the game. You can pick up a controller and play the game. But even if it isn't, we should hear a lot more about the battle system there. Tabata said that he wasn't actually going to even have a live demo at TGS but people were all like "psssh yeah I saw that trailer but whatever this game is never coming out" so he had to show them that what was in the trailer was actually something playable, that what was happening in the trailer was a guy was actually playing those parts. I imagine that Jump Festa will probably have a more pronounced FFXV presence. Nobody even knew the game was going to be at TGS until the show started!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mischitary posted:

The thing is that the concept of "a one button action game" doesn't sound good, like, at all. And that's all the headlines. "Tabata says he wants to make game more casual friendly". The thing is though, that what he seems to mean is that people who aren't good at action games should be able to play this game too because its a mainline Final Fantasy game now.

What I'm wondering is, that Tabata said that this game will definitely be shown at Jump Festa. Will it be playable there? I mean, there was a guy with a controller on stage at TGS basically playing the game. You can pick up a controller and play the game. But even if it isn't, we should hear a lot more about the battle system there. Tabata said that he wasn't actually going to even have a live demo at TGS but people were all like "psssh yeah I saw that trailer but whatever this game is never coming out" so he had to show them that what was in the trailer was actually something playable, that what was happening in the trailer was a guy was actually playing those parts. I imagine that Jump Festa will probably have a more pronounced FFXV presence. Nobody even knew the game was going to be at TGS until the show started!

Thing is, I doubt their use of "action" game is correct. From the leaked battle system patent, it looks like gambits are back and you can possibly string moves together while creating extremely complex gambits. If anything, it sounds like a mix of FF12 and LR, and last I checked, FF12 mostly used one button, yes? I don't think the game is a pure action game, so why treat it that way. From the sound of things, it's an rpg with action elements than something more along the lines of KH.

I think this is a communication problem, because a lot of what he's describing sounds similar to games like Type-0, FF12, and LR.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

No seriously, what do the Japanese think about this? I'm trying to find that out myself by searching Futaba, but there's like eight loving Nijiura boards.

e:

And someone's talking about it being insane that this is a numbered title. Or that it's insane that a numbered title is this homo.

Courtesy of Google Translate and my own tenuous grasp of Japanese

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 24, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

Thing is, I doubt their use of "action" game is correct. From the leaked battle system patent, it looks like gambits are back and you can possibly string moves together while creating extremely complex gambits. If anything, it sounds like a mix of FF12 and LR, and last I checked, FF12 mostly used one button, yes? I don't think the game is a pure action game, so why treat it that way. From the sound of things, it's an rpg with action elements than something more along the lines of KH.

I think this is a communication problem, because a lot of what he's describing sounds similar to games like Type-0, FF12, and LR.

Yeah but what separates this game from something like FF12 is that while there may or may not be an "auto-attack" where you hold in a button and Noctis just attacks a dude it ain't like 12 where you could sit the controller down and your guy would still be attacking the enemies. That, and this game seems to have a concept that more actiony games like KH and the like have, which is if your guy gets hit or if you hit a guy then it counts but if they miss then it don't. There doesn't seem to be the RPG staple of "this move has a xx% chance of missing", but instead there is an active dodge mechanic. In games like 12 or even something like Xenoblade you could regularly find that you could hit the enemy or the enemy could hit you even though they didn't directly hit the other guy.

Because of this, Gambits aren't exactly like they were in 12. If that patent truly is for this battle system (and it seems extremely likely that it is) then you won't be able to just set up some gambits and then basically have the battles play out for themselves because inaction on the controller = inaction in game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress it, people more fluent than I am can get more from this

http://s2ch.nonip.info/c2ch/anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1411527880/l50

Funny enough, someone in there said something about FF12's change in directors.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges: Roses of May is actually free for the first couple of weeks, along with Battle 2 from FFV so go pick those up. Personally I spent $1 on Memories of Waves and Light because that song is underappreciated. Also

On the issue of FF12 music - Esper Battle is awesome and I keep using it in online VS battles to force the FF12 soundtrack on people. I really like the field music from FF12 too.

In Curtain Call I finally unlocked Sephiroth. Him and Cloud have really good stats but using them both makes me look like a total FF7 fanboy :v:

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On the issue of FF12 music - Esper Battle is awesome and I keep using it in online VS battles to force the FF12 soundtrack on people. I really like the field music from FF12 too.

I remember somebody from the development team saying that they couldn't make it transition to battle music when you encountered monsters so each piece of field music had to function as both a field music and a battle music. It kind of makes it hilarious when Vaan is galavanting through the plains and this super bombastic epic music is blaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mischitary posted:

Yeah but what separates this game from something like FF12 is that while there may or may not be an "auto-attack" where you hold in a button and Noctis just attacks a dude it ain't like 12 where you could sit the controller down and your guy would still be attacking the enemies. That, and this game seems to have a concept that more actiony games like KH and the like have, which is if your guy gets hit or if you hit a guy then it counts but if they miss then it don't. There doesn't seem to be the RPG staple of "this move has a xx% chance of missing", but instead there is an active dodge mechanic. In games like 12 or even something like Xenoblade you could regularly find that you could hit the enemy or the enemy could hit you even though they didn't directly hit the other guy.

Because of this, Gambits aren't exactly like they were in 12. If that patent truly is for this battle system (and it seems extremely likely that it is) then you won't be able to just set up some gambits and then basically have the battles play out for themselves because inaction on the controller = inaction in game.

The problem is that a lot of this is just purely conjecture unless you're talking about the patent leak?