Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ZDar Fan posted:

Why did WWF rename Kerry Von Erich in the 80's? Was it just a matter of the Von Erich name not meaning much outside their region?

Same reason they did it with everyone-so that they could market him as their own creation. Although, in reality, Kerry got off easy on the gimmick front, since I always remember him being announced as "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Another Person posted:

but what the gently caress is New Jack's deal? Dude is a legit psychopath.
You answered your own question, but if you're curious, his Art of Wrestling interview gets into his childhood a bit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another Person posted:

Watching Forever Hardcore, and I've never paid too much attention to ECW before, but what the gently caress is New Jack's deal? Dude is a legit psychopath. Like, terrifying.

Also he fell off during a scaffold match and his brain got scrambled and he's been hosed up ever since.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On the other hand he really likes Molly Holly since she gave him sunflower seeds once. Yeah, the guy is legitimately insane.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

ZDar Fan posted:

Why did WWF rename Kerry Von Erich in the 80's? Was it just a matter of the Von Erich name not meaning much outside their region?

From what I remember reading old magazine interviews with him when I was a kid, his regional nickname "The Modern Day Warrior" was way too close to "The Ultimate Warrior" so they changed it when he came on board.

(I may not be remembering that correctly.)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What was so awful about the Raw ZZ Top hosted to make it so universally hated?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mob posted:

Mike Adamle loving SUCKED
I think Jeff Harvey would agree with you, and so would The Tazz.

sk posted:

mike adamle invented the championship scramble and that should be enough for you ingrates
It was a cool match concept, but there was no reason they needed to stagger out the entrances with countdowns because it only matters who wins last (and it made the stip too close to the Elimination Chamber). It was also dumb as hell that they had to explain the entire match with a complicated graphic of bullet points, when they could've just said "Whoever gets the last pinfall/submission on anybody before time expires wins the title."

The whole "current champion" thing didn't matter because the current champion didn't have to get pinned.

It also has the distinct honor of being the match that stripped CM Punk of the title without him actually defending it, because "we need the belt for HBK/Jericho", and because "we don't want Punk as champion so whatever, lets not even let him drop it in a match".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Why is WWE dialing back on Jim Johnston in favor of CFO$?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Also he fell off during a scaffold match and his brain got scrambled and he's been hosed up ever since.

it was not a scaffold match but him and vic grimes fell off of a balcony through a table very badly and vic grimes landed on new jack's head

but also new jack was hosed up way before then

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Here, have a recap of that show.

quote:

John Cena started Raw off, announcing that the main event would be Priceless vs. Cena and Triple H and began to say how excited he was for it. Randy Orton interrupted him, however, and after a brief standoff between Legacy and Cena and Triple H, Orton set up the main event so that he was also involved in it.

So the main event was set up to be basically the same as last week's.

Santino then had a short backstage segment with the guest hosts, ZZ Top. I'm wondering if Santino will actually wrestle anytime on Raw, because for the past few weeks he's just been talking with the hosts and not showing any action.

After a short commercial, it was announced that the United States Championship will be defended in a Six Pack Challenge between Kofi Kingston, Big Show, Jack Swagger, Miz, Carlito, and MVP.

Match One: three-on-three tag-team match between the teams of Kofi, MVP, Primo and Show, Swagger, and Carlito.

This was pretty much just a warm-up match for NoC. Primo got the pin on Carlito after some back and forth action. His celebration was cut short however, as he suffered a spear from Big Show. Show then continued to wreak havoc on everyone in the ring, proving that he is the dominant choice for the U.S. champion.

ZZ Top is still backstage with Santino as Chris Jericho walks in and introduces himself. He suggests that they have a jam session later, but ZZ Top announces that they have bigger plans for Jericho tonight. He will be taking on Mark Henry.

Another match that was shown last week.

Match Two: Standard Match between The Brian Kendrick and Jerry Lawler.

Vince is obviously still upset with Kendrick seeing as how he is now a glorified jobber. This week it was to a retired Hall of Famer turned announcer, Jerry Lawler. This was a very short match, and was not very entertaining.

Match Three: Standard Matchbetween Chris Jericho and Mark Henry.

Henry started off as the dominant force, but Jericho soon got an advantage and knocked the World's Strongest Man down. The advantage didn't last for too long, however, and Henry once again used brute strength to control the match.

The match spilled out onto the floor where Jericho grabbed a chair and began to beat Henry with it. This caused Jericho to lose the match by DQ, but that was the least of his troubles. Henry then countered the third chair shot and threw Jericho across the announce table and back into the ring where he delivered the World's Strongest Slam.

This match wasn't awful, but it wasn't anything special either. Jericho is still yet to announce who his tag-team partner for NoC will be.

ZZ Top is shown backstage with Santino yet again, this time meeting Chavo Guerrero. Chavo says how he has been humiliated by Hornswoggle too many times and deserves better (basically what most of B/R is saying) and ZZ Top announces that he will be facing Hornswoggle yet again in a Tuxedo match.

A third repeat match.

Match Four: Tuxedo Match between Chavo and Hornswoggle.

Chavo's pants were sewn together, giving Hornswoggle an obvious advantage. Hornswoggle started off strong, ripping Chavo's jacket and shirt off, but Chavo then got a slight advantage and took Hornswoggle's jacket and shoes off.

Chavo then got pushed over the middle rope and became "caught up" in the ropes, allowing Hornswoggle to strip the pants and the dignity off of Chavo.

This is pissing me off almost as much Cena overcoming the odds. Chavo deserves to be pushed so much more, and yet he is not even mid-card level. He has lost to Hornswoggle three weeks in a row. This is past the point of funny, it's just plain ridiculous.

Chris Jericho was confronted by Priceless as he was walking to his car. They talked down to him and seemed very confident that they would win the titles this Sunday and that Jericho didn't even have a partner.

Jericho seemed just as egotistical and confident as always however and shot both of them down and replied that he could pick anyone in the WWE, even Randy Orton.

In my opinion, that last part was just ridiculous. Randy Orton as his partner? As much as I would enjoy seeing it, I can't say I'm betting on it happening. Orton is defending the much more prestigious WWE title later that night. There is no way he is going to waste any energy on any other match.

Match Five: Diva's Tag-team Matchbetween Kelly Kelly/Gail Kim and Rosa/Alicia Fox.

This was actually the match of the night in my opinion. Well, Kelly Kelly looked good at least. She showed some great moves and athleticism and showed once again just how much she has improved since beginning in the WWE.

Rosa and Alicia Fox were ridiculous as usual. I'm not sure why either of them are in the ring. I guess WWE needs divas but talent would be nice.

Gail Kim looks good, but she wasn't given as much of the spotlight as Kelly Kelly in this match.

Alicia Fox actually somehow got the pin even though both she and Kelly Kelly were tied up in the ropes for the entire three count.

Main Event: Handicap Match between Legacy and Cena/Triple H.

We just saw this last week. It was the same match with a different ending. The majority of this match saw Triple H getting pounded by all three members of Legacy until he was able to make the hot tag to SuperCena.

Cena then began his finishing routine on Rhodes, but was unable to hit the F-U thanks to DiBiase. After some chaos in the ring, Cena was left with Orton, with the others strewn about outside. Orton went for the punt, missed, and Cena got the roll-up pin.

Despite the fact that I thought this match was rather pathetic, I'm glad Cena won it in that style. If he had pinned Orton after a five-knuckle shuffle and F-U, I would have been pissed, but the roll-up sort of lessens the whole "superhero" attitude.

Shaquille O'Neal was announced as next week's guest host. I don't think I am going to  like it considering what I saw from ZZ Top. I understand that this will get more casual viewers, but celebrities don't really do it for the more dedicated fans. A Seth Green every now and then would be fine, but have the majority of the guest hosts be wrestlers. Or get a permanent GM.

Was this written five years ago or this week? You'd never be able to tell except for the ridiculous amount the roster has turned over.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mainly remember Seth Green for facing off with Orton and looking like Little Mac going up against Bald Bull.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Red posted:

Why is WWE dialing back on Jim Johnston in favor of CFO$?

I thought he was doing their movie soundtracks now but apparently not.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whose recap was that? It always annoys me when I'm looking up results from an old show and it's more like a review than a recap. I remember OWOW had a stretch of like a full year where the reviewer called the Bella Twins "whores" every single week just because they would show up with the celebrity guest Raw GM.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sk posted:

mike adamle invented the championship scramble and that should be enough for you ingrates

no he didn't it had been done for the hardcore belt years earlier

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

epitasis posted:

no he didn't it had been done for the hardcore belt years earlier

The WM2000 battle royal required the champ to be pinned for the title to change hands. Also, I think that all of the title changes in that match actually counted as official reigns.

Someone petition Triple H to rewrite history and make the scramble reigns count. The Brian Kendrick deserves it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bigass Moth posted:

As bad as that show was, I still think the Slammys hosted by Dennis Miller was the worst RAW ever.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

That recap was worse than the actual show

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sk posted:

Also known as the worst gimmick match since Beat the Clock

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also known as the worst gimmick match since Beat the Clock

Wrong, Beat the Clock gave us Heath Slater beating Seth Rollins that one time

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Has there ever been a wrestling angle based around a fixed match or an attempt to fix a match? I don't mean a worked match like wrestling is in reality, but like a heel manager trying to bribe his client's opponent to take a dive.

I'm not saying this would be a good idea for multiple reasons, but I'm curious if it's been done, and how often and successfully if it has.

TL posted:

Same reason they did it with everyone-so that they could market him as their own creation. Although, in reality, Kerry got off easy on the gimmick front, since I always remember him being announced as "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich.

He was the "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich at first but slowly became just the Texas Tornado by the end of his WWE stint.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Thauros posted:

Has there ever been a wrestling angle based around a fixed match or an attempt to fix a match? I don't mean a worked match like wrestling is in reality, but like a heel manager trying to bribe his client's opponent to take a dive.

I'm not saying this would be a good idea for multiple reasons, but I'm curious if it's been done, and how often and successfully if it has.

Fingerpoke's the obvious one but I'm sure there have been other tries.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't post entire show recaps ffs.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fat Lowtax posted:

Fingerpoke's the obvious one but I'm sure there have been other tries.

Yeah that would count, but collusion between buddies wasn't what I was really thinking of.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wrong, Beat the Clock gave us Heath Slater beating Seth Rollins that one time

hmm yeah that's a very cool thing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

stupid

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The best part of that recap review:

quote:

Chavo deserves to be pushed so much more
:cawg:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thauros posted:

Godfather did this all the time, but with his hos instead of money. Also I may be wrong but I feel like Ted Dibiase did this at least once.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Godfather did this all the time, but with his hos instead of money. Also I may be wrong but I feel like Ted Dibiase did this at least once.

It's weird, DiBiase would seem to be obvious, but while I remember him buying the #30 slot in Rumbles an attempting to buy the title from Andre I can't recall him ever trying to bribe an opponent.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thauros posted:

It's weird, DiBiase would seem to be obvious, but while I remember him buying the #30 slot in Rumbles an attempting to buy the title from Andre I can't recall him ever trying to bribe an opponent.

At one of the Old School Raws, he paid IRS to climb out of the ring during a battle royal, giving DiBiase the win.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mob posted:

That recap was worse than the actual show

My favourite part was his need to declare things as "Standard Matches" as if we have no ability to infer that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Red posted:

At one of the Old School Raws, he paid IRS to climb out of the ring during a battle royal, giving DiBiase the win.

The best part was that DiBiase wasn't even IN the match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There was that time Mark Henry was supposed to lay down for Orton, then changed his mind and killed him instead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

I guess Hogan laying down for Jarrett when Bischoff fired him counts.

And I swear at some point Stephanie told someone to lay down for a title change in a promo in the ring, but I can't remember the context.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Drew Carrey tried to bribe Kane at the 2001 rumble.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

He was the "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich at first but slowly became just the Texas Tornado by the end of his WWE stint.

Ric Flair paid people off to take dives for David. I believe El Dandy was one.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
When Cena was in Nexus, Barrett made him and Otunga lay down for Slater and Gabriel to give them the tag titles

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
JBL made HBK throw the match against him during their bankruptcy angle in order to get a #1 Contender spot against Cena at Royal Rumble 09.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I remember this one vividly because he tried it on Regal during his lumberjack phase. When Regal chose the hoes, Godfather was disappointed about not getting to wrestle, so he said "England ain't nothin' but a place fulla fags" and set Regal off.

Ah, the Attitude era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember this one vividly because he tried it on Regal during his lumberjack phase. When Regal chose the hoes, Godfather was disappointed about not getting to wrestle, so he said "England ain't nothin' but a place fulla fags" and set Regal off.

Ah, the Attitude era.

It's ok if Regal didn't get really strung out at the end of the gimmick, it would have been revealed that he was gay and compensating by being a lumberjack