Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011
Certainly not as terrible as some of the articles posted here, but Tim Blair, a Daily Telegraph journalist extraordinaire, bravely ventured more then thirty minutes out of Sydney's CBD into Muslim Land - aka Lakemba . Staying at Lakemba hotel - one of the last bastions of Anglo-Australian culture, he writes:

quote:

It isn’t exactly luxurious. The room has a sink, which is nice, but nothing else by way of amenities. There isn’t even a Gideon’s Bible. Instead, reflecting certain demographic changes in the area, there is a Ramadan eating schedule.

Lakemba may be only 30 minutes from the centre of Sydney, yet it is remarkably distinct from the rest of the city. You can walk the length of crowded Haldon St and not hear a single phrase in English. On this main shopping strip the ethnic mix seems similar to what you’d find in any Arabic city. Australia may be multicultural, but Haldon St is a monoculture.

It's worth clicking for the full article, if only for a picture of Lakemba's newest local superstar.

(of course he has his own Facebook page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

Squid Inc posted:

Certainly not as terrible as some of the articles posted here, but Tim Blair, a Daily Telegraph journalist extraordinaire, bravely ventured more then thirty minutes out of Sydney's CBD into Muslim Land - aka Lakemba . Staying at Lakemba hotel - one of the last bastions of Anglo-Australian culture, he writes:

It's worth clicking for the full article, if only for a picture of Lakemba's newest local superstar.

(of course he has his own Facebook page)

That is quite bizarre. I did the same visit. I live in East Sydney, went with a friend to Lakemba to just see this place because he kept talking about it, that it was not like "being in Australia". So I went to experience the whole thing. I took the exact same picture of that exact same manikin because I thought it was cute. That they had texted a beard on a standard white one. I actually thought it was wonderful there. Yes, it was like a different world compared to what I see every day, but that's why I loved it.
You know the more I look at that picture, it is exactly the same as the one I took. I need to find it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Won't someone think of the poor slaveholders??!!

Blood Cotton

Almost all the blacks victims almost all the whites villains

Maybe sometimes the slaveholders were nice to the living humans that they literally owned maybe you should have thought of that before you slandered the noble institution of slavery you cretin

He's an idiot for claiming that slave owners had an incentive to treat their slaves well and implying that 'it wasn't so bad', but I'd say he's right to dismiss the notion that slavery is responsible for the success of American capitalism. It benefited the people that were directly involved, but on a societal level and in the long term it was a completely disastrous economic system. Its detrimental effects can be seen in the South even today.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 6, 2014

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011

Smoky One-bedder posted:

That is quite bizarre. I did the same visit. I live in East Sydney, went with a friend to Lakemba to just see this place because he kept talking about it, that it was not like "being in Australia". So I went to experience the whole thing. I took the exact same picture of that exact same manikin because I thought it was cute. That they had texted a beard on a standard white one. I actually thought it was wonderful there. Yes, it was like a different world compared to what I see every day, but that's why I loved it.
You know the more I look at that picture, it is exactly the same as the one I took. I need to find it.

The picture or the Mannequin? Because last I heard it's been getting quite alot of outdoor time. I would have loved to have seen him getting toted around during the Haldon Street festival.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Phlegmish posted:

It benefited the people that were directly involved, but on a societal level and in the long term it was a completely disastrous economic system. It's detrimental effects can be seen in the South even today.

That doesn't make it even a little bit special in the history of capitalism.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Phlegmish posted:

He's an idiot for claiming that slave owners had an incentive to treat their slaves well and implying that 'it wasn't so bad', but I'd say he's right to dismiss the notion that slavery is responsible for the success of American capitalism. It benefited the people that were directly involved, but on a societal level and in the long term it was a completely disastrous economic system. It's detrimental effects can be seen in the South even today.

Capital raised by slavery in the South was able to be turned into capital to be loaned out in the North by banks for infrastructure and investment.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Squid Inc posted:

You could go into any book store in Real America (or Real Australia, I'm guessing), pick up a right wing polemic, and quote from it next to pictures of other things in the neighborhood and make Christianity look pretty bad, too.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 6, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

He's an idiot for claiming that slave owners had an incentive to treat their slaves well and implying that 'it wasn't so bad', but I'd say he's right to dismiss the notion that slavery is responsible for the success of American capitalism. It benefited the people that were directly involved, but on a societal level and in the long term it was a completely disastrous economic system. Its detrimental effects can be seen in the South even today.

the south had about a century's more experience exploiting the labor of african americans than the north did

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Fox News printed up a doozy of an open letter to the president. Here are some highlights:

An Ignorant rear end in a top hat posted:

Dear Mr. President,

It’s been quite a summer. The world is not a pretty place right now but I see you have had a chance to play golf. In fact you’ve played golf through the worst of it. Right after announcing that American journalist James Foley had been beheaded.

Now I play golf and I enjoy it. But I’m not president of the United States… so I have a little more time.

But I digress. Let's skip on down to the really important part... I hope you’ll read closely. There will be a quiz.

I ask that you, Mr. President -- if you're not too busy playing golf, campaigning, orchestrating the cover ups of all the "phony scandals," and just being cool -- could again declare war on the enemies who have unleashed "unprovoked and dastardly attacks" on the United States.

This summer we have now seen two American journalists beheaded by the “Islamic State” – ISIS or IL or IS. We are at war, sir, whether you like it or not.

Guess what Mr. President, THE GOOD GUYS WON!! They won because President Roosevelt had the "cojones" to "pull the trigger," giving no thought to his legacy, but giving thought only to the preservation of the American way of life.

Forget the fun on the golf course, Mr. President. Does that way of life mean anything to you, sir, or are you still so hell bent on "fundamentally changing" the American way of life that you cannot, or will not, change course and "pull the trigger?"

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly said that, for Israel, the question of the current conflict with the enemies of Israel is an existential one.

In my opinion, sir, and in the opinions of most of the grown-ups in our military apparatus, and other expert military analysts, the United States is now engaged -- or not really engaged -- in no less an existential conflict. (ed. note: The gently caress?)

From 1941-45, 291,557 American soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines died to defeat an enemy that had absolutely no means of attacking the United States mainland. And now, we are being told that after more than 10 years of fighting those ruthless bastards in Iraq and Afghanistan where "only" 6,802 of our warriors have been killed, America doesn't have the stomach to go do what needs to be done?

Please understand the context of the word "only." With all my heart I thank all thank these warriors and their families for the sacrifices they have made, and continue to make. And now we are giving up the fight? We are surrendering? We are being told that AMERICA DOESNT HAVE THE STOMACH TO DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE????????

Well sir, you need to have enough stomach, GUTS, COJONES for all of us. It's called LEADERSHIP!!

I am 66 years old, I'm in pretty drat good shape and I will go right now. I've lived a good life and I want my granddaughters to have the chance to live one too.

I was #296 during Vietnam... I didn't have to go, but I would have gone if I had been called.

I will go now if called… Unfortunately, I know that I never will be called, so I will answer a different call.

I will call on you, Mr. President. Do you have the stomach to lead our scared, uncertain, worried, "tired of war" American citizens in a fight to the death against the Islamic murderers, even if the "tide of public opinion" is against it?

Anyone can lead people who are willing and eager to go. Can you, will you lead people who are not willing, but need to go?

Finally, while it is long past time to start treating our veterans with the dignity and care they deserve, it is also long past time to stop treating our current soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines like Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. They have been trained to defend the United States, Mr. President, to the death, if it comes to that.

We have trained them, fed them, housed them, equipped them, armed them, and stationed them in close proximity to hot spots all over the world, in order to be ready for the start of World War III.

Well, Mr. President, WORLD WAR III is here.

It's high time we turn our troops loose to let them GO KILL THE BAD GUYS. Turn them loose, sir, and give America another, "righteous might, so help us God" moment.

Please, sir, before it's too late...

IT'S YOUR SHOT…FORE!!

Larry Gatlin is a country music singer and songwriter.

The ending is a punchline worthy of The Onion. Godspeed, Larry.

Source.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 8, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hahaha. So he was too chickenshit to go to Vietnam by his own choice, but he totally would have picked up a rifle if the only alternative was literal prison...and that's why this guitar-plucker has the moral high ground to demand WWII-level deaths of hundreds of thousands of young men in the sands of the Middle East.

At least John Mccain had the stones to go fight in one of the endless wars he loves so much. Chickenhawks are dickless scum.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 8, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The murder of a couple American citizens by terrorists isn't directly comparable to a military attack on an American base, but it's difficult to make any argument if to you World War 2 is the Only Thing That Ever Happened In History Ever Aside From The Boston Tea Party.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I love how you can generally get a sense of how unhinged someone's opinions are just by looking at their spelling and grammar. Really random use of quotation marks and capitalization along with gratuitous amounts of dashes and ellipses is always a dead giveaway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Everytime someone wants to go to war for those 2 dying tell them that every country that has had America kill 2 of it's citizens is also justified in bombing their suburb.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha anyone who talks poo poo about war and then says "well uh my draft number was super low and I didn't volunteer or anything" can be slapped across their fat face.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I'm actually really surprised that most of the comments to that are article are telling the guy he's a complete fool.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Hahaha anyone who talks poo poo about war and then says "well uh my draft number was super low and I didn't volunteer or anything" can be slapped across their fat face.

He would have stepped up if only he'd had a real leader as President to inspire him

quote:

Anyone can lead people who are willing and eager to go. Can you, will you lead people who are not willing, but need to go?

Don't make LBJ's mistake, Mister Obama. Round up every loudmouth war-hungry country singer and put them on the front lines so they'll never grow old to regret staying home and cheering on the war in comfort and safety. :patriot:

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

It's cool, brah. Let's do this righteous war crime. Collective punishment is just and effective. Aerial bombardment will totally break the will of the enemy (like it did in London, and Berlin, and Hanoi...), and the dead from this Crusades-themed atrocity won't serve as a Jihadist rallying cry for generations to come.

quote:

THE VIEW FROM OLYMPUS: THE NEXT MOVE
--William S Lind, (another chickhawk who's never gone to war)

President Obama’s reluctance to just “do something” about ISIS is correct. He should be applauded, not criticized, for saying we do not yet have a strategy to deal with ISIS. It is not a simple problem. I suggested a strategy in a previous column, but if we adopt it, no one will notice. It is covert and takes time to work.

However, ISIS’s execution of another American may put irresistible pressure on the president. If so, there is something he can do that would have an effect. It would not be decisive, but it would create a problem for ISIS.

ISIS has wisely adopted the Hezbollah model for 4GW organizations.It not only fights, it also provides the people under its control (if they are strict Sunnis) good government. Taxes are lowered, officials don’t require bribes to do something, crime is suppressed, and people get services the state should provide but long ago ceased to do so. The obvious goal is to build legitimacy, the coin of the realm in Fourth Generation war.

The U.S. could drive a wedge between ISIS and the people to whom it is trying to appeal. We should announce that we will “severely punish” ISIS for its murder of American citizens, and warn all civilians to leave all town and cities under ISIS’s control. Then, we pick a town or small city, not too large, not too small, and flatten it. Not just “precision” strikes from an F-18 or two; we hit it with every B-52 and B-1 that can fly. Most of the bombs will just be making the rubble bounce.

Then, we announce that we may (or by implication may not) give other places the same treatment. If the civilians flee, ISIS loses its logistics base and it has shown it cannot protect them. If ISIS forces people to stay, then we do hit some more places and lots of civilians die. Either way, ISIS loses legitimacy. Its bonds with the population are damaged if not shattered.

Such an operation–we might call it Templar Express–requires stronger nerves than the Washington Establishment possesses. It relfects the reality that in this situation, if you are going to do anything, it has to seem big. Strategically, it isn’t. It will not destroy ISIS.

The usual hand-wringers will howl if we flatten a place full of civilians, but the Hama rule applies. It has to be over fast. You cannot keep up a campaign like this very long.

As the FMFM 1A, Fourth Generation War (K.u.K Austro-Hungarian Marine Corps) argues, for a state to prevail in 4GW, it must either take a slow, patient, careful approach in which it may suffer more casualties than it inflicts, or it must get very violent very fast–and get it over quickly. That is the Hama model. Regrettably, the leadership of almost all states tries to split the difference, because that is what politicians normally do. But that guarantees that the state loses.

In the event that we do not split the difference here–most probably because Obama has the courage to continue to do nothing until we can identify a strategy with some promise of success–the president would do well to remember in future teapot crises two bits of advice. The first is from President Nixon, who was far and away our best president on foreign policy in the 20th century: It can be useful to be thought just a little bit mad. The other advice comes from a fellow who had some prominence mid-century: if you are going to act in a crisis, your action should be "Eiskalt und Blitzschnell"–icy cold and lightning fast. And don’t ever, ever split the difference

This is actually one of the more sensible things on TraditionalRight, which specializes in screeds against "cultural Marxists" and "gender feminists" and is serializing awful awful Tom Clancy's Race War fanfic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:gop:
Uh, did he just quote the Nazis as inspiration for his little Baby Jesus Holy War plan?

You know what, even laying aside the moral aspects of going to the Nazis for some good ideas...Maybe we shouldn't go with the literal worst failures in history at winning the support of civilian populations and defeating partisans and guerillas?
:wtc:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
This guy does know the Austro-Hungarian empire no longer exists because of how bad they were at war right? I'm not sure they're the guys we want to borrow field manuals from.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This guy does know the Austro-Hungarian empire no longer exists because of how bad they were at war right? I'm not sure they're the guys we want to borrow field manuals from.

I think bad is a little understating the magnitude of their incompetence, they failed to conquer Serbia. When your grand empire that's suppose to be competing with England and Germany for prestige and power losses to Serbia, your not just bad your an insult to the very concepts of empires and annexing other peoples sovereign territory. The grand achievements of Rome, Persia, and the Mongols are now lesser then they were before the war because they have to share the title of empire with a nation that lost to Serbia.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's a dumb joke. Lind wrote a series of Manuver Warfare manuals for the Marines, but because he's not actually in the military, probably an idiot, and definitely insane, they won't publish them. So he published them himself, under the imprint of one the least respectable militaries in European history.

Whoever is writing the awful racewar fanfic (probably Lind) also has a hard-on for defunct European countries. I just skimmed one of the more chapters, but it had a Prussian military cosplayer commanding a unit of T-34s against the Savage Black Muslim hoards threatening Massachusetts. Yes, this is supposed to take place in the present. No, I have no idea what the author has been drinking. Paint thinner?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Biffmotron posted:

It's a dumb joke. Lind wrote a series of Manuver Warfare manuals for the Marines, but because he's not actually in the military, probably an idiot, and definitely insane, they won't publish them. So he published them himself, under the imprint of one the least respectable militaries in European history.

Italy?

Biffmotron posted:

Whoever is writing the awful racewar fanfic (probably Lind) also has a hard-on for defunct European countries. I just skimmed one of the more chapters, but it had a Prussian military cosplayer commanding a unit of T-34s against the Savage Black Muslim hoards threatening Massachusetts. Yes, this is supposed to take place in the present. No, I have no idea what the author has been drinking. Paint thinner?

That image is kind of awesome/hilarious

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/magazine/the-death-of-adulthood-in-american-culture.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
]A.O. Scott has managed to top himself:[/url]

quote:

This slow unwinding has been the work of generations. For the most part, it has been understood — rightly in my view, and this is not really an argument I want to have right now — as a narrative of progress. A society that was exclusive and repressive is now freer and more open. But there may be other less unequivocally happy consequences. It seems that, in doing away with patriarchal authority, we have also, perhaps unwittingly, killed off all the grown-ups.

He goes on to whine about how women have all the power and heterosexual men are losers.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ummmm... Did you read the whole article? That portion is talking about depictions in American media, and he ends it by embracing the expansion of women's roles in modern fiction and declaring that all the worrying about the death of adulthood is overblown.

quote:

I do feel the loss of something here, but bemoaning the general immaturity of contemporary culture would be as obtuse as declaring it the coolest thing ever. A crisis of authority is not for the faint of heart. It can be scary and weird and ambiguous. But it can be a lot of fun, too. The best and most authentic cultural products of our time manage to be all of those things. They imagine a world where no one is in charge and no one necessarily knows what’s going on, where identities are in perpetual flux. Mothers and fathers act like teenagers; little children are wise beyond their years. Girls light out for the territory and boys cloister themselves in secret gardens. We have more stories, pictures and arguments than we know what to do with, and each one of them presses on our attention with a claim of uniqueness, a demand to be recognized as special. The world is our playground, without a dad or a mom in sight.

I’m all for it. Now get off my lawn.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2014/05/cyberbll.html

1) What the gently caress is this trying to say

2) Why the gently caress is it making me angry

3) What kind of writer essentially talks to themselves whilst imagining it is what their readers are thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2014/05/cyberbll.html

1) What the gently caress is this trying to say

2) Why the gently caress is it making me angry

3) What kind of writer essentially talks to themselves whilst imagining it is what their readers are thing.

From the looks of it it's a right winger being angry that a completely unremarkable, centrist news/politics magazine is too left wing, with all the usual whining about the mainstream media and the politically correct agenda

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

From the looks of it it's a right winger being angry that a completely unremarkable, centrist news/politics magazine is too left wing, with all the usual whining about the mainstream media and the politically correct agenda

Really? It seems to me that he's complaining about capitalist interests hijacking feminism - an essentially left-wing complaint.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Valhawk posted:

Ummmm... Did you read the whole article? That portion is talking about depictions in American media, and he ends it by embracing the expansion of women's roles in modern fiction and declaring that all the worrying about the death of adulthood is overblown.

I took it more as "well, these are all theoretically good things but I don't like them because they are new and different."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Jonah Goldberg managed to poo poo out something I thought was absolutely reprehensible, even by his standards.

What War on Women?

quote:

Last Friday, the White House announced its “It’s On Us” initiative aimed at combating sexual assaults on college campuses. I’m all in favor of combating sexual assault, but the first priority in combating a problem is understanding it.

That’s not the White House’s first priority. Roughly six weeks before Election Day, its chief concern is to translate an exciting social-media campaign into a get-out-the-vote operation.

Accurate statistics are of limited use in that regard because rape and sexual assault have been declining for decades. So the Obama administration and its allied activist groups trot out the claim that there is a rape epidemic victimizing 1 in 5 women on college campuses. This conveniently horrifying number is a classic example of being too terrible to check. If it were true, it would mean that rape would be more prevalent on elite campuses than in many of the most impoverished and crime-ridden communities.

It comes from tendentious Department of Justice surveys that count “attempted forced kissing” and other potentially caddish acts that even the DOJ admits “are not criminal.”

According to one Department of Justice survey, more than half the respondents said they didn’t report the assault because they didn’t think “the incident was serious enough to report.” More than a third said they weren’t clear on whether the incident was a crime or even if harm was intended. But President Obama uses these surveys to justify using the terms “rape” and “sexual assault” interchangeably.

And yet those who question the alleged rape epidemic are the ones who don’t take rape seriously? I would think conflating a boorish attempt at an undesired kiss with forcible rape is an example of not taking rape seriously.

The “It’s On Us” PR stunt is not an exception; it is par for the course. To listen to pretty much anyone in the Democratic party these days, you’d think these are dark days for women. But by any objective measure, things have been going great for women for a long time, under Republicans and Democrats alike.

Women earn 57 percent of bachelor’s degrees, 63 percent of master’s degrees, and 53 percent of doctorates. They constitute the majority of the U.S. workforce and the majority of managers. Single women without kids earn 8 percent more than single men without children in most cities. Women make up almost half of medical-school applicants and nearly 80 percent of veterinary-school enrollees.

The recession — a.k.a. the “mancession” — hit men much harder, and women recovered from it much more quickly. When you account for hours worked and job choices, pay equity is pretty much here already. Sure, this is a snapshot, but few serious people think it isn’t a snapshot of a race in which women are surging ahead.

A broad coalition of feminist groups, Democratic-party activists, and the journalists who carry water for them refuse to recognize the progress women have made unless it is in the context of how “fragile” these victories are. Going by the endless stream of fundraising e-mails I get from the Democratic party, EMILY’s List, and other usual suspects — never mind New York Times editorials — we’re always one election away from losing it all. If Harry Reid isn’t the majority leader next year, it’s back to wearing corsets and churning butter for you.

Obviously, this isn’t all about elections. There’s a vast feminist-industrial complex that is addicted to institutionalized panic. On college campuses, feminist- and gender-studies departments depend almost entirely on a constant drumbeat of crisis-mongering to keep their increasingly irrelevant courses alive. Abortion-rights groups now use “women’s health” and “access to abortion on demand” as if they are synonymous terms. The lack of a subsidy for birth-control pills is tantamount to a federal forced-breeding program.

Sure, women still face challenges. But the system feminists have constructed cannot long survive an outbreak of confidence in the permanence of women’s progress. The last thing the generals need is for the troops to find out that the “war on women” ended a long time ago — and the women won.

I wonder if I corned Goldberg on the street and jammed my tongue down his throat, would he just laugh it off as caddish behavior? Always great to see Goldberg take substantive issues and sweep them entirely under the rug because the President said something about it. What a sniveling little prick.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Change the name of this forum to Feminist-Industrial Complex please.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Because the Republican Party's fundraising emails aren't alarmist at all. Nope. They've never sent a single email telling about how Obama's gay Nazi brownshirt squads want to take your guns and make you gay marry abortions at Agenda 21 UN camps.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

A total cumstain posted:

So the Obama administration and its allied activist groups trot out the claim that there is a rape epidemic victimizing 1 in 5 women on college campuses. This conveniently horrifying number is a classic example of being too terrible to check. If it were true, it would mean that rape would be more prevalent on elite campuses than in many of the most impoverished and crime-ridden communities.
He comes so close to getting it! Sadly he is convinced that sexual assaults are only done by poors.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Jonah Goldberg managed to poo poo out something I thought was absolutely reprehensible, even by his standards.

What War on Women?

I wonder if I corned Goldberg on the street and jammed my tongue down his throat, would he just laugh it off as caddish behavior? Always great to see Goldberg take substantive issues and sweep them entirely under the rug because the President said something about it. What a sniveling little prick.

So what industries are colluding with feminism to form this complex? The abortion industry, obviously...I mean we've practically got an abortion-based economy now. Red states are driven by military bases and arms industry; blue states by killing babies.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 24, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZI2IRbSKts

12 minutes and 24 seconds of completely missing the point. Holy poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The gamergate poo poo is annoying as hell. It's wrapped up in a lot of stuff and people are trying to search for objectivity where there can be none. Although it is kind of funny to see people wail when Anita Sarkeesian gets another famous supporter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The only people who are interested in Gamergate are people who have massive unresolved problems with women or people who think shouting at the previous group via internet advances society.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Thunderf00t had a good point about how much of a stretch some of her interpretations of ONE game were, and how she was taking things out of context. He then ignored the entire context in which she said those things and declared feminism over.

It was hard for me to pick a side at first. I mean Anita Sarkeesian took up a cause that not many had bothered with and brought a lot of attention to it, and she has a lot of legit points; but she taints all of that with bullshit. OTOH, the entire gaming community response to her. I mean if it's a race to see who can be the shittiest, she just kind of quit about a quarter of the way through while the gaming community has been like the end of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A

edit: No wait, here is a depiction of Anita Sarkeesian in that race.
http://pbfcomics.com/222/

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 24, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoTapir posted:

Thunderf00t had a good point about how much of a stretch some of her interpretations of ONE game were, and how she was taking things out of context.

Really this shouldn't matter because she's trying to make her points as simple as possible for literal mental children but she's used to the soft academic mode of explanation which expects intelligent users to extrapolate where stubborn nerds will inevitably mask their insecurity by employing superior technical knowledge of the subject. "Well actually in S03E12 the main character uses a katana, not a western sword which means..." kind of poo poo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

It was hard for me to pick a side at first. I mean Anita Sarkeesian took up a cause that not many had bothered with and brought a lot of attention to it, and she has a lot of legit points; but she taints all of that with bullshit.

Yeah I really don't get this attitude. If she lists 100 games with lovely attitudes about women, and 10 of them are debatable, she hasn't "tainted" anything, because she's right about 90 of them and that's maybe something that's a little more important??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Really this shouldn't matter because she's trying to make her points as simple as possible for literal mental children but she's used to the soft academic mode of explanation which expects intelligent users to extrapolate where stubborn nerds will inevitably mask their insecurity by employing superior technical knowledge of the subject. "Well actually in S03E12 the main character uses a katana, not a western sword which means..." kind of poo poo.

She never took anything out of context, that's the dumbest part. She was talking about how games encourage experimentation with mechanics and itneractions.

I was trying to explain this to someone on facebook the other day and almost posted it in the forwards thread. Imagine a game that has a whip and also has room with naked people tied to poles. It doesn't matter that you don't have to go into that room, that you aren't really supposed to be using the whip for that level, or that you can use the whip on anyone in the game regardless of who they are. If there is a black man tied naked to a pole in that room that you can go in and beat with a whip, then maybe the game developers should reconsider their decision to include one or more of these elements or mechanics in their game.

• Locked thread