Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

1gnoirents posted:

I know I'm explaining this poorly but I've never seen a benefit to letting fps soar way above your refresh, except in games where it doesn't matter either way (some less graphically intense games)

Naively coded engines often have physics tied to framerate, which can lead to unusual effects. Quake 3 and its derivatives literally let you jump higher at specific framerates, but more recent games also have issues. Skyrim will go nuts if you disable v-sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm considering a 980 for my primary desktop, which is also Hackintosh'd, and apparently 980s work with the latest NVidia web drivers for Yosemite PB3 or DP8, but 970s don't. Awaiting more info on that front before I commit to a purchase.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

NickBlasta posted:

I've had my 970 in for a day now (EVGA SC, blower cooler) and it's great. I did get some coil whine playing an older game but it's quieter than the coil whine on my 560ti. :v: I can barely hear it and I have only a couple low-rpm case fans so I don't really see how it's an issue.

If it's anything like the coil whine on the 780TIs, it's framerate related. I only get it when things are generating absurdly high framerates (like 2000 fps). Turning on Vsync or using a frame limiter makes it stop.

I first noticed it in the 3dmark test since that one generates very high framerates using the demo version.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

isndl posted:

Naively coded engines often have physics tied to framerate, which can lead to unusual effects. Quake 3 and its derivatives literally let you jump higher at specific framerates, but more recent games also have issues. Skyrim will go nuts if you disable v-sync.

I wonder if they patched that in some way because I leave VSync off because ~*~my input lag~*~ and I don't have physics explosions or anything.

...and yes I'm getting 60+ fps most of the time :mad:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I didn't notice any physics issues changing cells when I played it recently either with vsync off, so there might have been some kind of patch for it. Then again it never was as bad as in Oblivion where you'd have plate explosions constantly so maybe I just missed it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Has anyone reputable done a 970 SLI vs. single 980 benchmark comparison yet?

viewtyjoe posted:

AMD is supposedly announcing something on the 25th. Their tweet about it seems to indicate it's GPU related.
I hadn't seen that. Here's hoping they have a worthy response. This should be interesting. :munch:

Doesn't seem like anyone actually has any evidence that it'll be on the 25th in particular, though, rather than just sometime soon.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 24, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ralith posted:

Has anyone reputable done a 970 SLI vs. single 980 benchmark comparison yet?

HalloKitty posted:

Basically, at low resolutions, underwhelming. Cranked up to something like 3840×2160, then it's pulling away hard.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is it my imagination or does the EVGA "blower" type 970 not have vents in the side opposite the ports?

That's got to be awful in SLI. I can't find an image in existence of the PNY version on that same side of the card, would anyone know if it's the same deal?

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

drat this hype :argh:! Just ordered a Gigabyte 970 gtx and I don't even have the time to play games.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
e:nvm

Hace fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it just me or is the 970 a marginally better 290? Looking through the benchmarks, there are a couple games where the 290 outperforms so it's not simply an across-the-board win for the 970, but the 970 currently has a lower street price (though it's sold out) for new models. I imagine the supply of 290/290Xs that were being dumped by Bitcoin miners in early summer has run out, so unless you're really budget constrained to $250 all-in for a used 290, there's literally no reason not to choose the 970 instead.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 24, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it just me or is the 970 a marginally better 290?

Lower cost, lower power consumption, often higher benchmarks than even a 290X.

It's basically crapping on the 290 from all angles, with the minor exception of one: memory bandwidth. If you're gunning for very high resolutions, this can help.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 24, 2014

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Should probably just change the thread title to GPU Megathread - Buy a GTX 970

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

HalloKitty posted:

Lower cost, lower power consumption, often higher benchmarks than even a 290X.

It's basically crapping on the 290 from all angles, with the minor exception of one: memory bandwidth. If you're gunning for very high resolutions, this can help.

Even at 2560*1440 the 970 comes out ahead most of the time. It doesn't seem like the memory bandwidth is as limiting for this chip as it has been previously.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Honestly I don't know why people say the EVGA cards are crazy loud, if anything my new card is significantly quieter than the EVGA 660 Ti it replaced, even under heavy load. Doesn't get a full 60FPS and maxed in certain games* though, and no SLI option since my motherboard actually only has one PCI-E slot. I had prepared my budget for computer upgrades around an 780 Ti anyway and was looking to find one when I found out about the 9xx series having been released so going with the 980 over the 970 was still savings on my end.

*AC4 during ship combat with physx off and MSAA on it dips down a bit (With physx or TXAA on it drops like a rock into the 20-30 FPS range immediately), Dead Rising 3 with the framerate unlocked tends to float in the 40s and 50s but it's not exactly the best made game, Skyrim when in towns or near enough NPCs goes down to around 40-45 but is more playable than it used to be and stays around 55-60 in the wilderness, Metro 2033/Last Light Redux with AA 4x chugs down to like 20FPS but runs great with AA completely off at a solid 60, Battlefield 4 again if I turn extra poo poo like AA on it'll dip down into the 50s on larger maps/server limits but not generally enough to be noticable under normal gameplay conditions. Need to try some other demanding games but I've been busy today. That performance probably just down to some other architecture issue with my PC (Probably my CPU; chose poorly last upgrade, got an AMD FX-8350 instead of an Intel) rather than the card itself not being strong enough, though.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Shima Honnou posted:

Honestly I don't know why people say the EVGA cards are crazy loud, if anything my new card is significantly quieter than the EVGA 660 Ti it replaced, even under heavy load. Doesn't get a full 60FPS and maxed in certain games* though, and no SLI option since my motherboard actually only has one PCI-E slot. I had prepared my budget for computer upgrades around an 780 Ti anyway and was looking to find one when I found out about the 9xx series having been released so going with the 980 over the 970 was still savings on my end.

*AC4 during ship combat with physx off and MSAA on it dips down a bit (With physx or TXAA on it drops like a rock into the 20-30 FPS range immediately), Dead Rising 3 with the framerate unlocked tends to float in the 40s and 50s but it's not exactly the best made game, Skyrim when in towns or near enough NPCs goes down to around 40-45 but is more playable than it used to be and stays around 55-60 in the wilderness, Metro 2033/Last Light Redux with AA 4x chugs down to like 20FPS but runs great with AA completely off at a solid 60, Battlefield 4 again if I turn extra poo poo like AA on it'll dip down into the 50s on larger maps/server limits but not generally enough to be noticable under normal gameplay conditions. Need to try some other demanding games but I've been busy today. That performance probably just down to some other architecture issue with my PC (Probably my CPU; chose poorly last upgrade, got an AMD FX-8350 instead of an Intel) rather than the card itself not being strong enough, though.

Are you using one with the ACX cooler? Also I didn't see a mention of the resolution you were playing at?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hamburger Test posted:

Even at 2560*1440 the 970 comes out ahead most of the time. It doesn't seem like the memory bandwidth is as limiting for this chip as it has been previously.

Well, I'm talking more about 3840×2160, but the 970 is absolutely the card of the moment anyway.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Skwee posted:

Are you using one with the ACX cooler? Also I didn't see a mention of the resolution you were playing at?

1920x1080p. I think this is in the reference cooler, but I don't actually know what the ACX looks like; single fan, metal construction, got a window on the bottom.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

It is less that it is objectively loud, and more that it is louder than the reference models, and hence WAY louder than say, the MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte non-reference models. Objectively, it is still not a really loud card. Quieter than 290's and older generation cards, for sure.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Shima Honnou posted:

1920x1080p. I think this is in the reference cooler, but I don't actually know what the ACX looks like; single fan, metal construction, got a window on the bottom.

ACX is the one people are saying is loud I think. It has 2 fans, black plastic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Skwee posted:

ACX is the one people are saying is loud I think. It has 2 fans, black plastic.

Yeah, mine is reference cooler then.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Got my MSI 970 today. :getin:

Will get to over clicking the shut out of it on the weekend/running it through its paces.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Guni posted:

Got my MSI 970 today. :getin:

Will get to over clicking the shut out of it on the weekend/running it through its paces.

don't click it to hard, it might break.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is anyone running a single 970 on 3440x1440 and can share some benchmarks? I've been toying with the idea of going 21:9, but 29"/2560x1080, while seemingly a nice fit for the GPU felt underwhelming in terms of screen size when I stood in front of it at a nearby store.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hot Jam posted:

Should probably just change the thread title to GPU Megathread - Buy a GTX 970

$350 is still a lot of money, and the 960 is probably going to be very impressive as well.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

don't click it to hard, it might break.

Heh, just ran a quick round of BF4 multiplayer on Lancang Dam.

Results: Ultra @ 1440p - didn't dip below 55 (wasn't recording FPS, so this is what I noticed) and was normally above 60fps. Fans usage was about 40ish percent (couldn't even hear it over my H100i) and got to about 60C.

This is @110% power limit, +100 core clock and +179 memory clock (literally just moved the slider to wherever) from factory.

All in all, very happy with the results thus far.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

GreatGreen posted:

With the GTX series, can you go into the GeForce control panel and set a hardware limit on the FPS the card will render?

If the game or your settings is one that sometimes exceeds monitor refresh rate, you could try the Adaptive VSync setting in the Geforce drivers. It should make so that if the framerate is same as monitor refresh rate or higher, VSync is applied. When the framerate dips below refresh rate, VSync is disabled.

Unfortunately it varies by the game if you need to enable VSync in-game for it to work(IIRC for Bioshock Infinity it had to be off but for Metro LL it had to be on or something) so you might need to check FPSs first(shadowplay/Geforce Experience does that too!)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
^^^ Cool, thanks!

One more question, guys. So about a week ago I bought a GeForce 760. Luckily, my evaluation period is not over, so I'm just going to take it back to the store for a full refund. Also, I just placed an order for an MSI GTX 970 last night! :woop:

However, all the 760 drivers and whatever else are already installed on my computer. Am I going to need to uninstall those drivers before installing the 970 or will the drivers already work with the new card, meaning I can just plug it straight in and go when I get it?

vvv Got it. Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You'll still get a display when you plug it in but you should uninstall GEForce experience, it'll ask to remove drivers with it, then reinstall it.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Shima Honnou posted:

And people are saying even the 970 is overkill for 1080p.

P.S. Anyone know if that FX8xxx really is a bottleneck?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Shima Honnou posted:

For 1080p something seems wrong man. Things like metro with a 770 would still hit 50+ maxed out AA and all, and BF4 1080p I averaged 89 fps with a 1% time of 63 fps. Online, big maps, purposefully making it struggle. Max AA ultra everything except SSAA. (it was OC'd, but still, we're talking huge differences here)

Hell I got an average of 55 fps in 1440p with a single 770. Although it sucked because it'd dip to 30's frequently enough + stutters.

edit: and I completely missed your CPU. its your cpu. test this by playing bf4 single player and see if there is a dramatic change in fps

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 24, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Duck and burger posted:

And people are saying even the 970 is overkill for 1080p.

Depends on the game, but in some games it can do absolutely disgusting things to FPS compared to an i5. Especially minimum FPS for when the poor AMD really can't cope.

Edit: Read this Anandtech page of benchmarks. Half average FPS on some benchmarks, a third of the minimum FPS.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Duck and burger posted:

Yes. For gaming, you're better off with a $60 Intel than any AMD CPU. The AMDs are nice at edge cases like video transcoding and stuff that is perfectly multithreaded, but cannot compete at single threaded speed.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The nostalgic per$ warm spot in my heart I had for AMD (like the unlockable $70 3-core, and phenom II BE) was completely erased once I played with the $100 Pentium combo. It was literally almost as good as my 4670k in games.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Can someone with one of these and the ability to capture framerate do just that with something like one of the Metro games' benchmarks with PhysX off and PhysX on? I'm hoping that the scheduling and execution efficiency improvements will do the necessary heavy lifting to make it so that juggling workloads isn't so finicky, but then I think about how I don't think their memory compression for textures is going to do all that much to help with the conventional memory bottleneck for CUDA calculations.

But I don't know and I'm not buying one just to find out, the 780Ti is playing Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, and Defense Grid 2 just fine thank you, haha. Jeez, what a waste. Make fun of me if I buy a GTX 980 at all before I put the box of parts that wishes to be my next system together, please? But in the meantime let's see what we can find with regard to PhysX and minimum and maximum FPS this generation, from some less demanding titles (old batman) to more demanding titles (new batman, Metros, if you really want to gently caress it up Alice Returns with that damned pepper shaker)... There's time to mock unnecessary purchases, we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it :shepface:

Edit: AMD users of course feel free to respond but unfortunately I don't think that'll tell us what we're looking for here since the per-thread is kind balls and that can cause minimum framerate dips just as easily when the right combo of wrong stuff happens. Hopefully this is significantly enough an Intel-favoring forum thanks to the value offered that we can see some more "definite" data points?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 24, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skwee posted:

Really makes me want to RMA my evga 970 sc acx.. But that would cost me $65 (54 for restock and 11 for shipping) and I am not sure it is worth it to be essentially paying $410 + shipping for an MSI card instead of an evga card..

e:
Eh, screw it, I will keep the EVGA 970 SC ACX 1.0 and let you all know if it annoys the hell out of me or not. Not going to pay for that ridiculous restocking fee

This is why I will no longer buy video cards through Newegg. gently caress restocking costs, and that assumes they even let you return the poo poo. Newegg has gone to poo poo in the last few years. Price gouging, no returns, etc.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah I've heard people have plenty of success returning actually broken poo poo and getting restocking waived with ease for pretty much anything, but if there is any time they're going to be dicks about that policy its probably going to be for this exact scenario. Restocking fees are lame, its hard to believe they still do it this day and age.

They somehow dodge taxing me though so they continue to get my money if the price is right

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

BurritoJustice posted:

Depends on the game, but in some games it can do absolutely disgusting things to FPS compared to an i5. Especially minimum FPS for when the poor AMD really can't cope.

Edit: Read this Anandtech page of benchmarks. Half average FPS on some benchmarks, a third of the minimum FPS.

Dear lord. And the performance/watt... Feeling pretty good about my 4690 right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

This is why I will no longer buy video cards through Newegg. gently caress restocking costs, and that assumes they even let you return the poo poo. Newegg has gone to poo poo in the last few years. Price gouging, no returns, etc.

Newegg has a "Premier" thing that gives you free return shipping and waives the restocking fee. It has a one month free trial and you can cancel the auto-renew at any time. You can just make a new account (to get another free trial) any time you have to make a big purchase.

Also, Newegg's eBay store has free return both ways at the same prices, so it's another layer of support. I got a full refund returning some case fans that didn't fit right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Zero VGS posted:

Newegg has a "Premier" thing that gives you free return shipping and waives the restocking fee. It has a one month free trial and you can cancel the auto-renew at any time. You can just make a new account (to get another free trial) any time you have to make a big purchase.

Also, Newegg's eBay store has free return both ways at the same prices, so it's another layer of support. I got a full refund returning some case fans that didn't fit right.

Also if you have shoprunner you can get free two day shipping and free returns. Shoprunner works with other sites as well, I get a free subscription through my american express credit card.