Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, there's a scene where someone gets poisoned and it lowers for that too. It just doesn't make much sense.

I guess it might be a bit ropey in terms of narrative then, just put it down to your RIG knowing hundreds of futuristic :biotruths:

It rules as part of a HUD though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It might be more a measurement of someone's ability to continue functioning than measuring their health on some objective scale. If someone gets injured or poisoned it can dip to show they need medical treatment, dip a lot to show they need mondo medical treatment. I don't know what the Lore says about them but that makes more sense to me than "Warning Isaac You Are Now Only 48% Healthy"

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw not that part, the fact that you can put human "health" on a single spectrum from "Fit as a fiddle" to "dead as a doornail". It's a gameplay convention it just gets kinda funny when you're justifying it as an in-universe thing.

It's for insurance reasons. "Uhh sorry Ms. Miller, but we won't be able to cover your husband's policy because we looked at the RIG records and saw that he could've healed himself for at least 15 mins. And the contract clearly states that :words:."

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

2house2fly posted:

It might be more a measurement of someone's ability to continue functioning than measuring their health on some objective scale. If someone gets injured or poisoned it can dip to show they need medical treatment, dip a lot to show they need mondo medical treatment. I don't know what the Lore says about them but that makes more sense to me than "Warning Isaac You Are Now Only 48% Healthy"

That just reminds me of the medical wonder that is Gordon Freeman's HEV-suit. It's able to monitor your health, work it out into a percentage, protect you from radiation, provide anti-toxins when you've been poisoned, heal you, and administer morphine. Although that last part does make me suspect that Gordon's in a Crysis 2-type of situation, where he's just a mess of broken bones held upright by a mechanical harness.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FauxGateau posted:

It's for insurance reasons. "Uhh sorry Ms. Miller, but we won't be able to cover your husband's policy because we looked at the RIG records and saw that he could've healed himself for at least 15 mins. And the contract clearly states that :words:."

Of all the possible explanations, this is the most realistic.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

I gave up on FC2 about halfways into it, since the game is kinda a mess and something broke on my sae and I really didn't feel like continuing it. But anyway, it had one of the best/worst things in it, and that was every single other person in the game wanted you dead. They wanted you dead so bad that nothing else mattered, just you being dead. So, I blow through a checkpoint because I had just cleared it out 5 minutes ago on my way though.

I'm driving away, a jeep pulls out and follows and a guy is spraying bullets at my car and I wreck it. I get out, shoot the guys following me and their jeep goes off the road. I decide to just walk the rest of the way to the checkpoint and take off through the woods. A minute later or so, I hear this engine reving sound followed by a banging noise. I look around, I don't see anything, so I keep going. I hear the noise again, followed by the banging. I look around, and there is a car wedged in between some trees, and the driver is rocking the car back and forth trying to get it free. The driver gets out and pulls a gun but gets shot for his trouble. So, one guy from the checkpoint found a car, and then chased me across the goddamn jungle by trying to drive between trees.

The weapon effects for shooting a broken gun were really good, especially for the RPG. Instead of launching in a nice arc, the RPG flops out of the launcher and lands a few feet in front of you, then ignites and scoots across the ground starting a fire on the way. Then randomly explodes somewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That just reminds me of the medical wonder that is Gordon Freeman's HEV-suit. It's able to monitor your health, work it out into a percentage, protect you from radiation, provide anti-toxins when you've been poisoned, heal you, and administer morphine. Although that last part does make me suspect that Gordon's in a Crysis 2-type of situation, where he's just a mess of broken bones held upright by a mechanical harness.

It's probably just hooked up to the wearer/Isaac's pain receptors.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In the first Halo, there is a cut scene where Sarge is playing generic butt rock. Some marine complains about it and Sarge admonishes him because it's his heritage. I always thought that was funny.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

There's a suit in Fallout New Vegas that injects you with stimpacks and Med-X in combat, except that it just uses regular stuff from your inventory so you end up constantly getting addicted. :shepface:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
New Vegas' Old World Blues dlc also has an enemy that is a crazy medical harness suit that still has a skeleton inside.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

New Vegas' Old World Blues dlc also has an enemy that is a crazy medical harness suit that still has a skeleton inside.

Yeah, I guess the Trauma Harness is basically the suit from Crysis 2 except with a nifty clear space helmet so you can see the corpse inside. :stonk: The terminal entries detailing the test runs of the suits are a really interesting little tidbit of the DLC.

The hazmat guys from Dead Money also seem to be like that, since they're the same workers from 200 years ago just trapped in the suits by corrosion of the release mechanisms.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

grittyreboot posted:

In the first Halo, there is a cut scene where Sarge is playing generic butt rock. Some marine complains about it and Sarge admonishes him because it's his heritage. I always thought that was funny.

They were going to license Magic Carpet Ride for that scene, but Bungie was vetoed.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw not that part, the fact that you can put human "health" on a single spectrum from "Fit as a fiddle" to "dead as a doornail". It's a gameplay convention it just gets kinda funny when you're justifying it as an in-universe thing.

Really, that happens all the time in a triage, which is what I took the indicator to be. If there was some kind of major industrial accident medical workers would be able to easily prioritize critically and seriously injured workers (red or yellow) while ignoring the expectants and uninjured (black and green) with a quick glance at their RIG.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I've been replaying Skyrim lately, and one little thing I like involves fighting the Silver Hand. Most of their members have Cure Disease potions (or items used in making Cure Disease potions) on their person, which makes a lot of sense considering the type of faction they are: anti-werewolf/vampire, the latter of which spreads like a disease.

Also it was mentioned in the last thread, but if you look at certain river (like the one south of Whiterun) you can see fish spawning up the waterfalls :3:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

SWAT 4 had a pretty great atmosphere to it. Most missions weren't the standard "Terrorists have taken over the generic industrial plant". In one early one you're pulling an arrest warrant on a serial killer suspect where the only person in the house is him and his crazy mother, but (at least the first time),but you have no idea where so you have to slowly clear room by room.

Then you get to the basement where you start to find creepy trophies of his kills like masks of his victims and newspaper clippings and stuff, with it getting weirder and weirder the closer you get to him.

You have to follow some semblance of police procedure. You lose points for shooting even armed suspects without first shouting a warning to try and get them to drop their weapons, and you get the best score by arresting as many as possible (the game had a pretty wide range of non-lethal weapons to help with this) and collecting evidence/reporting all suspects and hostages.

Some missions really tried to push you to just shoot the bastards though, especially one mission later where you're busting a cult for bomb making and you find a whole bunch of dead kids in the basement. The cult members killed all their children in preparation for their "apocalypse"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Far Cry 2, which never gets enough love, was amazing with its fire as well.

I don't think I'll ever be able to choose which I like more of Far Cry 2 or 3, but 2 wins out in the fire. It spreads well in 3, but in 2 it took into account wind direction and what the weather had been like lately and that would affect the spread.

I remember one time I got in a fight in a grassy plain when it hadn't rained for a bit - I blew up an enemy jeep, which started a nice little fire. Then I laughed at the bad guys panicking about the big blaze coming at them. Then I panicked at the loving firestorm raging towards me. The amount it grew in the span of a few seconds was incredible, and it really stuck with me.

And that's when I started checking the wind and using the flare gun to burn out checkpoints :unsmigghh:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Someone mentioned your buddy NPC'S going down and making you shoot them in the face to put them out of their misery in FAR CRY 2: CRY HARDER. What they forgot to mention was that you also had the option to overdose them on morphine (I.e. your health kit) , but you had to use two or three of your limited capacity of morphine to do so. So the choice became one of: do I put him down gently and use up morphine I might need later, or just put a bullet in him. I usually just a bullet into them, but not the Sikh who had saved me all those times - goodnight, sweet prince.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Boob Dylan posted:

Also it was mentioned in the last thread, but if you look at certain river (like the one south of Whiterun) you can see fish spawning up the waterfalls :3:

With Hearthfire, you can catch the fish. They have Salmon Roe. Due to its extremely potent Waterbreathing effect they're part of the most valuable potion in the game.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Dishonoured is sooo like Thief. The sneaky sneaking, and the rewards for not being detected and not killing anyone... but towards the end of the game, you come across two Whalers, a group of assassins, and one is obviously in training. The person training him says "For your next trial, you must remain unseen. Stay in the shadow and avoid the light. Cross to the other side of the room without attracting notice", which is what one of the Keepers tells you in your training in Thief 1, pretty much.

Also, enemies snoring when you choke them out/sleeper dart them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Although I didn't really like Second Son that much compared to earlier Infamous games, there was one little touch I really liked. In the first fight against Augustine you're railroaded into smoke powers like nearly every other boss fight and you use the orbital drop, instead of the grin on his face, he's visibly pissed off since Augustine just killed his brother. Only time he looks like that but I appreciated that detail.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In Persona 4's overworld map, which is styled like a satellite image of the town it takes place in, you can see these little suggestions of trains moving back and forth in one section.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Boob Dylan posted:

I've been replaying Skyrim lately, and one little thing I like involves fighting the Silver Hand. Most of their members have Cure Disease potions (or items used in making Cure Disease potions) on their person, which makes a lot of sense considering the type of faction they are: anti-werewolf/vampire, the latter of which spreads like a disease.

The Silver Hand are kind of funny because looking through their stuff you can tell that they actually know gently caress all about werewolves. They all carry silver swords (and sometimes ingots), which in Skyrim have absolutely no effect on werewolves. I've never really seen anything to indicate that they give a gently caress about vampires, so it's possible they're also dumb enough to think lycanthropy can be cured with the potions. They're basically just a bunch of overzealous idiots according to most people in-game.

The other "supernatural hunter" faction in the base game, the Vigilants of Stendarr, will cure your disease if you're sick and happen to run into them on the road.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
In Oblivion, if you join the Dark Brotherhood there is a vampire that's one of the ranking officers in the secret clubhouse. I can't remember if it's him or the leader, but one of the two have a note explaining stuff about vampires and mentions that, even though it's a common legend, vampires don't actually give a poo poo about garlic and it's a stupid way to try and protect yourself.

The vampire that's there just happens to be allergic to garlic though, so if you shove some into his pocket he gets weakened when you have to murder everyone there for the Night Mother. :3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Silver was super effective on werewolves and undead in the earlier Elder Scrolls games so the Silver Hand are probably just carrying on that.

And yeah the Vigilants do seem a far more competent group.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Silver was super effective on werewolves and undead in the earlier Elder Scrolls games so the Silver Hand are probably just carrying on that.

And yeah the Vigilants do seem a far more competent group.

That was my point though, everything they know is based on old legends/rumors instead of any actual expertise on werewolves. And a few people in the game consider them to basically be bandits because they kill a lot of innocent people and are just generally zealous assholes.

Then the Vigilants kind of get that big "I told you so" in Dawnguard, so they're only sort-of competent. :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

In the earlier games Iron and Steel weapons wouldn't affect many types of creatures but silver would. Silver weapons werea bit weaker than steel so were really only good against the supernatural.

I believe some stuff needed weapons higher than silver (or enchanted, no matter what the enchant.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Taerkar posted:

In the earlier games Iron and Steel weapons wouldn't affect many types of creatures but silver would. Silver weapons werea bit weaker than steel so were really only good against the supernatural.

I believe some stuff needed weapons higher than silver (or enchanted, no matter what the enchant.)

I can't speak for games before it (I played Morrowind, but never got to a point where it was relevant), but in Oblivion you could only hurt ghosts and Will-o-the-Wisps with silver, enchanted or daedric weapons. It can really be a bitch in that stretch of the game between when silver gets outclassed damage-wise and when enchantments become commonplace.

Spells and summoned weapons work just fine against them, though, so mages can rock them at any stage of the game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

I can't speak for games before it (I played Morrowind, but never got to a point where it was relevant), but in Oblivion you could only hurt ghosts and Will-o-the-Wisps with silver, enchanted or daedric weapons. It can really be a bitch in that stretch of the game between when silver gets outclassed damage-wise and when enchantments become commonplace.

Spells and summoned weapons work just fine against them, though, so mages can rock them at any stage of the game.

You could also hurt them with unarmed attacks if you leveled the skill to 50, which was pretty hilarious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

In Oblivion, if you join the Dark Brotherhood there is a vampire that's one of the ranking officers in the secret clubhouse. I can't remember if it's him or the leader, but one of the two have a note explaining stuff about vampires and mentions that, even though it's a common legend, vampires don't actually give a poo poo about garlic and it's a stupid way to try and protect yourself.

The vampire that's there just happens to be allergic to garlic though, so if you shove some into his pocket he gets weakened when you have to murder everyone there for the Night Mother. :3:
It's a shame you have to do that to get that awesome horse. The Dark brotherhood members in that clubhouse were one of my favourite parts of the game. That orc guy was hilarious. He doesn't give a poo poo about the weird death cult stuff ("I don't know who the Night Mother is but she pays me to kill people. My own mother should have loved me that much."), he just wants to hit people with an ax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJFu3STvfco

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Sep 24, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Taerkar posted:

That's true, but I'm going to take a wild guess here that the Silver Hand characters haven't played Oblivion or Daggerfall or whatever, which is what I was getting at. In the world they live in (as in the game of Skyrim), silver is worthless against werewolves and they're dumb for using it. Nothing more than that.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Sep 24, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

1redflag posted:

Someone mentioned your buddy NPC'S going down and making you shoot them in the face to put them out of their misery in FAR CRY 2: CRY HARDER. What they forgot to mention was that you also had the option to overdose them on morphine (I.e. your health kit) , but you had to use two or three of your limited capacity of morphine to do so. So the choice became one of: do I put him down gently and use up morphine I might need later, or just put a bullet in him. I usually just a bullet into them, but not the Sikh who had saved me all those times - goodnight, sweet prince.

The rocket exhaust from the LAW can also ignite the grass, which I learned the hardway from trying ambush a convoy and ended up trapping myself in an inferno.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Kimmalah posted:

That's true, but I'm going to take a wild guess here that the Silver Hand characters haven't played Oblivion or Daggerfall or whatever, which is what I was getting at. In the world they live in (as in the game of Skyrim), silver is worthless against werewolves and they're dumb for using it. Nothing more than that.

That's his point though, those games take place hundreds of years before Skyrim, so what was once useful gameplay information is now old folk legend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Far Cry 2, which never gets enough love, was amazing with its fire as well. Often I'd lob a molotov into a building inhabited by enemies, waiting for them to stream out into the path of my machine gun. Inevitably, the fire would grow out of control and the situation turns into pure chaos: ammunition piles get caught on fire, explosives detonate randomly, and you quickly find both yourself and your enemies stranded amidst the flames while you blindfire at them. It's brutal.

In fact, one big thing that I love about Far Cry 2 is how brutal and visceral it can be. People often complain about it being a frustrating game, but that's exactly what I love about it: playing it tires you out, you always find yourself at a disadvantage and even the best laid plans can go astray in the blink of an eye. There's an actual feeling of danger that haunts you for the entirety of the game (something which I never really felt in Far Cry 3) and the only way to cope with that is to become brutal and completely unscrupulous yourself. Eventually, you'll find yourself shooting every car that even comes close to you out of precaution, burning down villages filled with enemies that you could have easily evaded, wounding opponents with a sniper rifle so you can pick off their buddies as they attempt a rescue and becoming more and more detached to the horrific missions your employers give you. The fact that every action is preceded by a long journey gives you time to reflect on your actions, and if you're not disgusted with what you've become by the end of the game, you're playing it wrong.

It is pretty well known that Far Cry 2 is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness, but this transformation of the player highlights my favourite aspect of the game: the context of the adaptation and initial plot makes you think you're playing Marlow, but the game itself is putting you through the transformative process endured by Kurtz and this realisation (which is never explicitly pronounced by the game) comes as a sucker punch. It is a game that makes you look at its world in such a way that the motto "Exterminate all the brutes!" starts sounding very reasonable, and that was the moment I fell in love with it. Far Cry 2 is not the only game that models itself after Conrad (Spec Ops: The Line being another obvious example) but it is the only one that translated a descent into madness into something executed by the player himself (rather than something brought forth by the plot alone; see, again, Spec Ops: The Line). And for that, I will always love it.

Oh, and for an actual little moment that fits the above: near the end of the game, you're send to (serious spoilers, do NOT read if you intend to play the game) retrieve a stack of diamonds from an extremely dangerous area. What is supposed to happen is that you reach the diamonds and find one of your buddies standing over it. He calmly explains that he and his colleagues (more buddies) have decided it's more profitable to cut you out of the loop, and you're forced to kill the characters who have actively helped you (and you've helped in return) over the course of the game, leaving you truly alone and betrayed. What happened to me, however, was that as soon as I reached the designated area, I patrolled the environment first. I found a spot that allowed me to peak over the walls, just enough to spot what I thought was a guard's head. Naturally, I put a bullet in it. When I entered the compound, I saw that I had just shot my own buddy, and without any cutscene or anything the rest of them appeared and attacked me. It changed the entire context of the scene, and made me feel like even more of a bastard.

^this. Everything you pretty much do makes whats left of the country a worse place to live. Most of the faction missions are either destroying whatever infrastructure or business is left in country or fatting the pockets of some dickhead warlord. I also like that both act like they are fighting for Africa for Africans but they primarily just use out of country mercs as soldiers fighting for the scraps of country.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tiny little thing in games in The Last of Us that I just noticed on my most recent playthrough. In the section where you're playing as Ellie, there's a moment during the segment where she and David are defending themselves in a house where she gets QTE grabbed. The zombie goes for her shoulder but David shoots it off before it can bite her, and when control returns to the player Ellie rubs her neck where it was about to bite her. It's such a tiny and inconsequential animation that someone must have thought of putting it in there on purpose.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

That's his point though, those games take place hundreds of years before Skyrim, so what was once useful gameplay information is now old folk legend.

Except they really should know the old legends are bullshit by the time you encounter them because they have actual werewolf test subjects held captive in their compounds and apparently have been doing that a long time.

But this is getting kind of ridiculous - Silver Hand are ignorant about their own cause, the game blatantly spells it out for you and that was pretty much all I was trying to get at.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SmashiusClay posted:

[re: the last of us] I've just played through the sequence where, if you stand around too long in certain spots, she will get bored and pull out a joke book. Hearing Joel groan at her terrible puns is a lovely bit of characterisation.

Quoting this from way back in the thread but I just came upon this and man are these little moments pure gold.

"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow.

...too soon." *puts joke book away*

edit: Haha god dammit here's a totally different little thing. The game has collectibles in the form of notes and documents, and there's one point where a character's cohort who has betrayed him left a note for him to find later. When you find it, it counts as a collectible. If you read it and show it to him, he takes it from you, which removes it from your collectibles tally; then after reading it he gets pissed and crumples it up and tosses it. Then you can go pick it up from the corner and it's put back and counts in the tally again. :haw:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Sep 25, 2014

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know a lot of people think he really phoned it in but I really like Peter Dinklage's semi-cynical robot voice in Destiny. He's not over-the-top wacky or completely robotic, and I think it works really well for the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I know a lot of people think he really phoned it in but I really like Peter Dinklage's semi-cynical robot voice in Destiny.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Sep 26, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Who the gently caress is seanbaby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

timp posted: