Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That Bearguy is the best thing, make that your december MG please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Mecha Gojira posted:

There's a new Blue Frame variant coming out, though.[/url]

I do really love how with each successive Astray the design process seems to be "Let's give it another sword. No wait, two. No wait... LETS MAKE IT SUPER POINTY!" It makes me so happy. I really need to pick up one of the Red Frame MG's, either the Sengoku or the one where the backpack turns into a huge bow thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vahtooch posted:

I do really love how with each successive Astray the design process seems to be "Let's give it another sword. No wait, two. No wait... LETS MAKE IT SUPER POINTY!" It makes me so happy. I really need to pick up one of the Red Frame MG's, either the Sengoku or the one where the backpack turns into a huge bow thing.

I'd go with the Sengoku for the utterly ridiculous Oni Shield of Doom and general samurai styling. But I lucked out and got one for $45 on amazon so I'm biased. :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Where do people get display printouts and poo poo for things like this http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-HGBC-Build-Custom/dp/B00F04QR8K/ or the little stands that go in the bigger bases like museum info plates? My handwriting sucks

Vahtooch posted:

I got both, haven't built the Sengoku yet but the giant bowsword jetpack thing is a massive unwieldy pain in the rear end and it's hard to make it look really cool in my opinion

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

signalnoise posted:

Where do people get display printouts and poo poo for things like this http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-HGBC-Build-Custom/dp/B00F04QR8K/ or the little stands that go in the bigger bases like museum info plates? My handwriting sucks

That base comes with the little card that goes inside. The Action Base 3 just uses standard size post cards so you just buy/make one and stick it in. The little display thing that comes with the Action Base 1 is a do it yourself type of deal, you would have to make a label on your computer and print it on sticky labels or card stock and tape it on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That base comes with the little card that goes inside. The Action Base 3 just uses standard size post cards so you just buy/make one and stick it in. The little display thing that comes with the Action Base 1 is a do it yourself type of deal, you would have to make a label on your computer and print it on sticky labels or card stock and tape it on.

There's a PDF template floating around for it in this thread, I think. It's a ways back though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Are any of the Dom models worth it any more? It feels like ages since one came out and I like the Dom's design a lot.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

Are any of the Dom models worth it any more? It feels like ages since one came out and I like the Dom's design a lot.

The Dom holds up pretty well for its age. If you want a Dom i'd say go for it, cause the likeliness of getting a new one any time soon is almost zero. Here's a review of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WWwIEFwwk

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Dom Tropen is also a pretty sharp kit for its age, despite a few minor annoyances.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The HGUC Dom/Rick Dom kit is actually hands down one of my all-time favorite kits. I'd highly recommend it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Okay. I'd kinda like to try customizing one, so maybe I'd do the HGUC.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I like the Dom Troopen i've got, have a Rick Dias on the way. The main thing i don't care for on the Troopen is the little feet boosters? come off if you look at them wrong, think I actually cemented them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seventy-five bucks for the Tallgeese III. This is going to be a struggle between "really wanted one" and "not even remotely worth it," I can tell. Especially since I sorta had that money earmarked for something else.

I just can't figure why some bullshit Astray is getting a regular release while this one is going to the scalpers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well keep in mind that's with GG Infinite's ridiculous markup. The actual price is 4860 yen (for reference, MG Tallgeese is 3800). Get it on Gentei Kits or something and save cash.

With GG Infinite, you are paying for the kit, paying for that kit's international shipping, paying a markup, and then paying for domestic shipping. It's completely insane and you don't even get it on time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

Seventy-five bucks for the Tallgeese III. This is going to be a struggle between "really wanted one" and "not even remotely worth it," I can tell. Especially since I sorta had that money earmarked for something else.

Jesus, that's a good 65% markup, before shipping, and that's their supposed 'discount' price. GG Infinite is run by a real scumbag, isn't it?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm more than happy not to give GG Infinite my business, but does Gentei really offer any significant savings when all is said and done?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Gunpla goons, tell me if this Kshatriya is mostly a straight build or does it have copious resin stuff. I think it's beautiful.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
http://www.neograde.com/shop/step1.php?number=588#good5

Looks like copious resin, cleaning and painting.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

Bimmi posted:

I'm more than happy not to give GG Infinite my business, but does Gentei really offer any significant savings when all is said and done?

Yeah you get a decent amount saved. Take for example the HWS:

MG 1/100 Hi-Nu Ver. Ka HWS Set MGNUEXPANSION 1 ¥4,100 ¥4,100
Sub-Total: ¥4,100
EMS (4 - 10 days) (Weight: 350.00g): ¥1,860
Total: ¥5,960

with EMS shipping its still less then the advertised price of GGinfinite, no tax/shipping included yet. If I really wanted to save a few more bucks I couldve just gotten SAL shipping

http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Hi-Nu-Gundam-Ver.-Ka-HWS-Heavy-Weapon-System-Part-Set-P-Bandai-Exclusive.html

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

It basically cuts out local shipping, which is usually $10. GG Infinite tends to assume EMS is a flat $20 too, so on smaller kits you can save a few more bucks.

It's less convenient, but Samuel Decal's facebook page is another option. He tends to have pretty heavy discounts (going back to Hi-Nu HWS, his is $35 before shipping), but you have to e-mail him in his pre-order window. And he's overseas anyways so you'll still have to pay for international.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How's the RG Exia? I'm thinking about getting the astraea type f

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Must resist ordering HG Messala, Gaplant, and Fa's yellow fat robot.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

Must resist ordering HG Messala, Gaplant, and Fa's yellow fat robot.

I was unhappy with my HG Messala, to be honest. Then again, that's what happens when you literally shear the elbow joint in half while posing it. They really shouldn't make the softer plastic pieces that thin...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

muike posted:

How's the RG Exia?

It's an absolutely fantastic kit; tonnes of detail and posing options and, a joy to build frankly, just looks plain badass. One thing I will say though; the Exia is small as hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All of the RGs but the Zeta and the Skygrasper are about the same height.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm just waiting for when they inevitably announce an RG Victory.

"No, guys, seriously, I think we've got the hang of it now!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well the only other RG I've got is the GP01 FB and it definitely dwarfs the Exia.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ok I just brought the Astraea type F like a huge dingus

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The type-F is a limited webshop exclusive, right? I might have to hurry up on grabbing it because its like my second favorite 00 suit after the exia.

so edgy

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

Well the only other RG I've got is the GP01 FB and it definitely dwarfs the Exia.

In bulk, maybe, but in height?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BlitzBlast posted:

In bulk, maybe, but in height?

I'm enough of a sperg that I went and checked and yeah, it is a bit taller but the main difference is in proportions, e.g. head, feet, etc. But I think the Full Burnern is considerably bigger and bulkier than the regular GP01 and most other RGs, and right now the only other kits I have on hand to compare it to are MGs and a Koto model.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's not.

If the FB was significantly different in proportion from the vanilla GP-01, Bandai wouldn't have been able to recycle the frame.

Like this is kind of the thing about RGs. There's a certain height range that's workable for the grade, and anything above or below isn't very likely to happen.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

signalnoise posted:

I got both, haven't built the Sengoku yet but the giant bowsword jetpack thing is a massive unwieldy pain in the rear end and it's hard to make it look really cool in my opinion

Ah drat that's really sad as I've always been a fan of ridiculous backpacks and weapons and other things.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

So if I felt like being lazy, would you all more experienced than I say that gunpla plastic is generally smooth enough that I could do an acrylic panel line wash without putting down a gloss coat first and just remove the excess with an alcohol-wet q tip?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you wash the plastic, sure. But if you plan on using iso alcohol, that probably means you're using alcohol based paint. Those dry out really fast, so not the best choice for panel washing in my opinion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

If you wash the plastic, sure. But if you plan on using iso alcohol, that probably means you're using alcohol based paint. Those dry out really fast, so not the best choice for panel washing in my opinion.

Nah, just a 1:1:1 ratio of water, future, and some p3 acrylics I have lying around for tiny fight mans. It worked pretty well for doing the channels on this guy but he'd had a layer of future put down over his paint, and for my thunderbolt GM I'm just sticking to stock colors but with a gray panel line wash.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Nah, just a 1:1:1 ratio of water, future, and some p3 acrylics I have lying around for tiny fight mans. It worked pretty well for doing the channels on this guy but he'd had a layer of future put down over his paint, and for my thunderbolt GM I'm just sticking to stock colors but with a gray panel line wash.

I actually just did exactly this using a P3 grey + Future + water over bare plastic. Worked great until I got close to some areas I where I'd done a lot of sanding and then things got a little grainy and less easy to control, but I should have expected that. So long as you're cognizant of any areas that have had a lot of work done it'll work great.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

-edit- phone double post

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I use a shop air compressor for airbrushing (it matches the quality of my Harbor Freight airbrush) and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an inline regulator that might be a bit more precise at low pressure than the one built onto the compressor itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I use this guy on mine and it works good for 5 PSI increments or sohttp://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-R37121-600-VS-4-Inch-Regulator-Black/dp/B0057D8LMY/

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread