Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

His vault is full of Gucci verses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm dissapointed that on the day that kendrick let's out his latest single trinidad james of all people released a banger that shits all over it.

Idk who the other person on the track is but he raps circles around james

http://soundcloud.com/trinidad-jame/goldyard-x-t-jame-fone

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

Who could you put on a track that wouldn't? poo poo, they even cut his verse from the All Gold Everything remix hahaha

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That fact that he got dropped without an album or even a single is drat hilarious.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations for non Psycopathic Records assosciated horrorcore?

there are some people doing that style in MI
tele-k666 is kinda big https://soundcloud.com/tele-k666/strength-courage-honor-feat-dopehead-poduced-by-tele-k666 and this guy does some nice horrorcore-esque beats and raps sometimes https://soundcloud.com/chimichangaz/thresholds-changaz-mix

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I've only heard the trinidad james verse off migos- out the gym and it seemed good

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

New Kendrick sucks, not sure I've really liked anything he's done so maybe biased I guess.

Go get Free Crack 2 cause you're all sleepin on it.

OIL! OIL! OIL!
Apr 12, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Some newish stuff:

Pyramid Vritra released an album earlier this year (Indra) and just released an EP like last week. I'd actually been looking for the album, but forgot about it as it was delayed and there's been like no pub about dude whatsoever it seems.

Both are really good, if anyone's listened to Jet Age of Tomorrow's stuff it's similar (he's one of the producers in the duo), with more rap and lest pure ambient-y background music stuff. Alternately, it sounds like a more "functional" version of Shabazz Palaces. Or a more grounded, focused Metro Zu. Fits in with a lot of that type of stuff (I'd put Tin Wooki in that group as well-kinda spacey more electronic-influenced production). He just released a video for "224" off the new EP, I'd start there and if you like that (or any of the other dudes I mentioned) I'd definitely think it's worth a listen.

I really like the new ep, probably more than the album earlier this year. the production is great, the amount of production talent OF had (Matt Martians, Pyramid, Sid) is pretty amazing and what will probably leave the longest lasting mark from that group. If anyone hasn't listened to Journey to the 5th Echelon, I really recommend it. It's a weird style but I think its becoming more prevalent.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

OIL! OIL! OIL! posted:

I really like the new ep, probably more than the album earlier this year. the production is great, the amount of production talent OF had (Matt Martians, Pyramid, Sid) is pretty amazing and what will probably leave the longest lasting mark from that group. If anyone hasn't listened to Journey to the 5th Echelon, I really recommend it. It's a weird style but I think its becoming more prevalent.

I agree that the EP is prob better, and I think arguably the jet age of tomorrow albums were the best OF stuff (not a fan of sid/the internet stuff really). I've always talked them up, but it's not strictly rap.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

RBX posted:

That fact that he got dropped without an album or even a single is drat hilarious.

I know there isn't a soul that cares about TJ but there was an article about his woes. TLDR; James had didn't get 2 million from the deal (closer to 500k) and his management team more than DefJam messed things up. Also, Rich Homie Quan is probably why the TIG deal, which included James, as made.

Profondo Rosso posted:

http://soundcloud.com/trinidad-jame/goldyard-x-t-jame-fone
I be that old rear end flow

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
goddammit they announced the other openers for the ATL outkast shows.

- Friday: 2 Chainz, Solange and Janelle Monáe. Outkast will be joined on stage by Bun B.
- Saturday: Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino and Raury.
- Sunday: B.o.B. Outkast will be joined by Killer Mike, 8Ball And MJG, Bun B, K CAMP, Devin The Dude, Kilo, Gipp Goodie and DJ Unk.

I'm going on sat :smithicide:

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
New Kendrick sounds like a Pharrell B-side with a bad Outkast outro.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i rarely have something negative to say about kendrick but not feeling it too much

maybe it will grow on me but i think it sounds mad corny on first listen

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
What the hell went wrong on the new Kendrick track? The beginning got me all excited.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

asap-salafi posted:

What the hell went wrong on the new Kendrick track?

Serious answer: everything

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/kendrick-lamar-new-track-i-an-insight-into-hip-hop-analysis-2014?utm_source=vicefbuk

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I really like that Kdot track (still think it came out too late to have the impact it should have had) but Vice is garbage journalism imo

the piece is very literal and basically lifts exactly what the lyrics state

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

The only thing worse than that song is that jerkoff article vice sucks so loving much

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

The only thing worse than that song is that jerkoff article vice sucks so loving much

i agree with this especially that last part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

VICE posted:

This – and the fact that one of hip hop’s biggest artists has, essentially, released a track that wouldn’t be out of place on an NBA commercial –

hahaha "NBA commercial"... i's hook wouldn't be out of place as the theme song to a show on the Disney channel

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

Mos Def.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I actually looked up the lyrics to that song and it has roughly the same lyrical depth as Pharell's "Happy". I think I need to stop listening to this song because every time I hear it I hate it a little bit more.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lyrical depth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP94xc8WYeo

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
But really, its just a fun song with empty lyrics and solid production. The last 1:20 of the song production wise are very good, but again, the lyrics are more hollow than Alan Smithee's head

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Owns, post more HCP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sSCil-xp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtVyk_eCJBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGioARkx0LY

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

spoils posted:

But really, its just a fun song with empty lyrics and solid production. The last 1:20 of the song production wise are very good, but again, the lyrics are more hollow than Alan Smithee's head

Lol really? You're still crying because I called out your comment about Kendrick's cornball song transcending mere hip-hop and becoming ~*~MUSIC~*~? drat dude, I didn't know you were that sensitive, I'll try to be more careful.

Actually, I think I have to revise my opinion of the song. I can see how Kendrick's corny posi-raps would give some spineless idiot courage, let him work through his tears and despair from the crushing trauma of having a dude on the internet dismiss his goofy statement, and eventually get the confidence to return to the forums and leave some weak-rear end wannabe burn.

This song's not for rap fans because we already like Kendrick. He's obviously trying to target the dudes-soft-as-kitten-fur market (which Drake had previously had a monopoly on).

As an aside, what's up with the recent hostility? I mean dudes here got through riffraff's abortion of an album and like 500 gucci frankentapes without much of anything, but now people are choosing this goofy song to take some stand on?

Also Milo's album came out, it's been ok so far. Reminds me of a more rap version of Why?'s non-rap stuff (their rap stuff was pretty much junk). Dudes not totally without presence, but even in the generally mellow production his voice has a tendency to disappear into the beat. So far it really just makes me want to listen to Open Mike Eagle's album again, but I'll give it a little more time to grab me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
not siding with spoils here because spoils spiel was p. dumb, but nobody else seems to be making a stand on this. It is just like five dudes including me saying we like it, then a bunch of people making GBS threads on it. Gotta agree, it ain't really rap, and it ain't really what I expected from Kendrick, but it was alright. It was a pop song.

Afterall, it is not like Kendrick is working on some system where this song came out at the cost of another so at the end of the day we just got some song that some guys like and some don't, so let's all agree to just have fun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DY1ALFrVJU)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Another Person posted:

not siding with spoils here because spoils spiel was p. dumb, but nobody else seems to be making a stand on this. It is just like five dudes including me saying we like it, then a bunch of people making GBS threads on it. Gotta agree, it ain't really rap, and it ain't really what I expected from Kendrick, but it was alright. It was a pop song.

Afterall, it is not like Kendrick is working on some system where this song came out at the cost of another so at the end of the day we just got some song that some guys like and some don't, so let's all agree to just have fun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DY1ALFrVJU)

I actually agree with most of what you said excepting the quality aspect of the song.

Like I wasn't joking about it not being a song for rap fans-it's a song that's not so much him going "pop" but trying to make something more accessible to dudes who aren't invested much in rap. I mean it's supposed to create buzz and like everything that I see that even tangentially covers music is talking about it so it's doing it's job. And I think I also said I'm not worried at all since it's not really that far outside his wheelhouse and dude's still easily the best rapper out.

(also that ab-soul song sucks too :colbert:)

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Robert Analog posted:

Whenever I read an article about "changing attitudes about hip hop", I read "Rap, safe enough for White People yet?

I'm gonna agree with everyone about not liking the song, and I'm a dude who likes all different types of rap including the strange, corny, and odd.

KDot is just so much more talented than that, it's like he's taking advice from Jay-Z and phoning everything in as long as he is on the top of the rap pyramid. Whats worse is that he talked ALL that poo poo during Control and the BET cyphers, this cannot possibly be what meant he was wanna murder other rap dudes with.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

everything you need to know about vice

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Rap is best when by and for criminals

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Oppenheimer posted:

its refreshing to drop a hard r n-bomb now and then

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Oppenheimer posted:

Rap is best when by and for criminals
-I bought Stitches single off iTunes with real money-

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

(also that ab-soul song sucks too :colbert:)

ya killing me man! That is a good track imo, one of the few keepers from These Days

But yeah, I get what you mean with 'not so much him going pop', but if that came from any other no-name artist, it would be labelled as pop. Because it is coming from Kendrick, who has a history of rap, we go into there expecting rap and label it as such regardless. It is actually less rap feeling than some stuff the Weeknd puts out.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Yuzenn posted:

Whenever I read an article about "changing attitudes about hip hop", I read "Rap, safe enough for White People yet?

I'm gonna agree with everyone about not liking the song, and I'm a dude who likes all different types of rap including the strange, corny, and odd.

KDot is just so much more talented than that, it's like he's taking advice from Jay-Z and phoning everything in as long as he is on the top of the rap pyramid. Whats worse is that he talked ALL that poo poo during Control and the BET cyphers, this cannot possibly be what meant he was wanna murder other rap dudes with.

It's one song, that's not really "phoning everything in"

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Lol really? You're still crying because I called out your comment about Kendrick's cornball song transcending mere hip-hop and becoming ~*~MUSIC~*~? drat dude, I didn't know you were that sensitive, I'll try to be more careful.

Actually, I think I have to revise my opinion of the song. I can see how Kendrick's corny posi-raps would give some spineless idiot courage, let him work through his tears and despair from the crushing trauma of having a dude on the internet dismiss his goofy statement, and eventually get the confidence to return to the forums and leave some weak-rear end wannabe burn.

This song's not for rap fans because we already like Kendrick. He's obviously trying to target the dudes-soft-as-kitten-fur market (which Drake had previously had a monopoly on).

As an aside, what's up with the recent hostility? I mean dudes here got through riffraff's abortion of an album and like 500 gucci frankentapes without much of anything, but now people are choosing this goofy song to take some stand on?

Also Milo's album came out, it's been ok so far. Reminds me of a more rap version of Why?'s non-rap stuff (their rap stuff was pretty much junk). Dudes not totally without presence, but even in the generally mellow production his voice has a tendency to disappear into the beat. So far it really just makes me want to listen to Open Mike Eagle's album again, but I'll give it a little more time to grab me.
No, I don't really care.
You didn't like Alopecia by Why? I enjoyed that but haven't checked out any of their newer stuff. Milo is alright, I liked that song with Heems and his Argyle Sox verse but I can barely stand Busdriver

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

It's one song, that's not really "phoning everything in"

You're right, but thats how it starts.....

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The PRhyme project is looking excellent so far. Great features, LP instead of EP and Premier will only be sampling Adrian Younge.

quote:

Preemo and Nickel Nine have shared exclusively with XXL that they’re putting out their first official full-length collaboration LP, set to drop sometime this year. Featuring the likes of Killer Mike, Jay Electronica, Common, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Slaughterhouse, Mac Miller and Dwele for the LP, the duo are planning to go big or go home with the project.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/09/prhyme-album-tracklist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Yuzenn posted:

You're right, but thats how it starts.....

Poetic Justice was a single too and that song is awful (to me).

(granted, it did come out after Backseat Freestyle)