Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Sensuki posted:

I don't know if combat will be good until the very final beta builds before release, possibly not even then. I'm optimistic that it *could* reach the IE ranges, depends on progress made with patches/mechanics alterations.

It's better than the IE games right now imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Furism posted:

Learn some C# and get started on Unity, we can't wait to play your game.

Hahaha, what the hell is this? Someone asked for gameplay opinions, and the man gave his honest opinion. No where did he presume he could make a better game. Is this one of those no criticism allowed threads?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Megasabin posted:

No where did he presume he could make a better game.

Sensuki has put together elaborate proposals for changing the game's mechanics and posted them here and on other forums.

Megasabin posted:

Is this one of those no criticism allowed threads?

:cawg:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Airfoil posted:

I tend to agree, but the game still has to be playable. Broken combat is fun for no one.

Mostly it's an issue of the devs we're interacting with. The story people can't say much about what they're doing for obvious reasons.

Yeah, it's perfectly understandable why we wouldn't get any story spoilers. That being said, I'm holding out hope for more background stuff. How about a glossary? Man, I don't know.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Under the vegetable posted:

Not even close IMO, unless you're using slow mode or autopause options. The default speed still has a ways to go. One thing that is better is the amount of activity required from classes. Classes still need a bit more work but most of them have more things to do - which is good.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Furism posted:

Learn some C# and get started on Unity, we can't wait to play your game.
Joke's on you, IIRC he's already been using Unity to scrutinize POE!!

Sensuki posted:

Going to assume that's a troll right ?
Snide goons aside, I note you put a lot of work into your feedback, and while that's admirable, a lot of people find their time is better spent on their own projects. I certainly find that to be the case myself.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Yep I've been playing BG1/2 on and off and going back to PoE is such a great leap already. Just the smoother controls and the moment-to-moment combat actions being spread out over the entire party rather than solely the casters makes it way more fun. Really waiting for the humanoid stats bug to get fixed so I can do another run through again. Speaking of which they were looking to get a new patch out today or yesterday, hope that's not too far delayed.

Also some changes coming to the XP system:

Josh Sawyer posted:

Yeah, we're talking about various other forms of XP including exploration, trap, and lock XP. We've also discussed XP connected to unlocking elements in the bestiary, which is sort of a limited-pool form of combat XP that eventually gets exhausted and doesn't require you to commit genocide to reach it. Also, kith (humanoid people) are not (and would not be) in the bestiary, and those are the characters most often associated with quests.

The main motivation for our quest-only XP system came from observing how many people, both regular gamers and QA testers, completed certain types of quests in the games we've made. Those who completed a quest via stealth or conversations often backtracked to kill the people or critters they had just "spared" because the game's basic mechanics systemically rewarded that behavior. You can set a bunch of flags for each quest and try to side-step around these cases but it's a huge amount of work for something that can be solved in a more straightforward manner by awarding XP for objectives and quests instead of individual creatures killed.

Since creatures (i.e., not humans/elves/dwarves/etc.) are directly involved in quests as non-hostiles with much less frequency, I think having XP awarded based on bestiary unlocks could work well. If we set those unlock thresholds much lower than the total number of critters in the game, players will hopefully learn that they don't need to exterminate everyone/thing they come across and they will eventually exhaust the available XP for that type of creature. E.g. Korgrak is an ogre, but he's by no means the only ogre, so if you don't kill him, you should still be able to completely unlock the entire ogre bestiary entry (and get all XP from it).

I hope they don't deviate too far from their initial XP concepts, but I've been waiting more XP breadcrumbs along the way as well. I'd definitely want quest XP itself to be broken up more along the stages of the questlines. The bestiary and the exploration XP seem like good ideas. If they want players to understand there's a limit on bestiary XP they'll probably need to explicitly write that out somewhere, as it'll be engrained on players early in the game. I'm less sold on lockpick and trap XP, especially since they're both tied to the mechanics skill, and I don't like players punished with XP for not taking specific skills, especially since they're already being punished by taking damage and missing loot already.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

It can't possibly be, because I didn't play Pillars Of Eternity in 1998.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sensuki posted:

Going to assume that's a troll right ?

In broad strokes I would say that when recovery times, damage ranges and health per day gets fixed up combined with some better combat stances & animations, better combat feedback and less superfluous spell effects then it will be pretty good.

There's a lot more stuff that needs to be addressed before release though IMO.

I personally can't make much of any review of how the game is turning out yet because at this point with the bugs that cause massive DT I can't even play it properly at the moment :( I hope to give it a proper look-over at their next release.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scorchy posted:

Also some changes coming to the XP system:

Coming? I thought this was how Obsidian planned to do it from the start- the thought that i wouldn't have to be a murderhobo was certainly a big part of why I decided to back the game.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

evilmiera posted:

I personally can't make much of any review of how the game is turning out yet because at this point with the bugs that cause massive DT I can't even play it properly at the moment :( I hope to give it a proper look-over at their next release.

I haven't had the DT bug yet, and I have avoided the Paladin class and the Paladin enemies so I don't get the 8000 defenses bug. I've mostly just been doing testing rather than playthroughs. When the game is a bit more stable I'll definitely attempt some full play throughs.

I think the Lore XP proposal isn't too bad because Lore's combat benefit can easily be metagamed around. Survival gives you consumable duration bonuses - cool. Stealth allows you to get closer to enemies - cool. Mechanics improves your traps - cool.

I don't really like Athletics or Lore for combat benefits though. In the Infinity Engine games I would usually just rest when someone got fatigued and if that character is already on low Health, the endurance penalty doesn't really matter. For Lore, you can look up defenses values on the wiki or simply remember them - I have a good memory, so I would never choose Lore for combat benefits, only for RP reasons. So Athletics and Lore's combat bonuses seem pretty crappy to me in comparison to the other three, YMMV. XP for unlocks would make Lore better ... might not be the perfect way to do it, but it's a way to improve the lore skill in combat.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Seeing the mechanical concept ideas from the start of the campaign was kind of bittersweet because it was more or less a given that tester feedback would push them inch by inch back into the traditional skinner boxes.

The XP-for-bestiary-unlock idea seems pretty cool to me, since I had already viewed Lore's bestiary revelation component as the least useful of any given skill, but as a carrot to traditionalists I don't think it will be all that effective. People weren't all that fond of the encounter challenge feature of IWD2 largely because you started off getting xp for combat and somewhere along the line you stopped (for the most part).

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Depends what you're talking about really. I couldn't give a rats about XP for combat because I find I play the same anyway. I'll fight stuff unless Stealth actually allows for alternate quest resolutions. Usually it doesn't, it just means that you expend resources.

I do care about balanced choices though, so if there's a way to make the Athletics and Lore skills be more useful in combat then that would be nice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not persuaded they need to go through the effort of redesigning the XP system when they could just stagger the rewards through quest stages and assign more objectives on the map (or maybe they already did this in the latest build? I just remember that originally you'd barely get any XP in the beta because you could only get the rewards at the end of the long quest chains, and the broken journal would often remove quests from your log).

Ideally you'd want combat to be rewarded in some way (XP or loot in 99% of the cases) most of the time, but still have the player consider whether engaging in yet another combat encounter will be worth it or not. You also want combat to be really, really good, so that some players would engage in it for the pure fun of experiencing the mechanic, and not because of some implicit reward, but that's something most CRPGs have been traditionally bad at.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Megasabin posted:

Hahaha, what the hell is this? Someone asked for gameplay opinions, and the man gave his honest opinion. No where did he presume he could make a better game. Is this one of those no criticism allowed threads?

There's a difference between "Here's my in-depth analysis of what should be improved" and "I doubt Obsidian will ever get the combat right because they're not implementing 100% of my in-depth analysis of what should be improved." Hence the sarcasm on my part.

I think it's great Sensuki spent so much time analyze the mechanisms of the game, but it wouldn't hurt to realize he never released (to my knowledge) any game himself so maybe he should trust Obsidian more.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

The combat has nothing to do with the attribute system, why would you think I would be saying such things out of spite?

Also nowhere did I say anything like what you said. Nathaniel Chapman (ex-Obsidian employee) said that games only usually become fun right at the end of the development phase. I believe he is correct about that, especially regarding real-time with pause which appears to be a lot harder to get right than turn-based. Currently I don't find the combat in Pillars of Eternity that much fun and neither do many other people. The ones that are saying it is better than the Infinity Engine games appear to be the people who didn't find the Infinity Engine combat that good.

On the last page of this thread I also said this

quote:

I'm optimistic that it *could* reach the IE ranges, depends on progress made with patches/mechanics alterations.

e: When I make suggestions I also usually state that they are one or more of many possible solutions, depending on what it is.

You're correct I've never made a game. I am a backer and a player, and I am offering my opinions as a player - which is what they're after right? No one's stopping anyone else from doing that.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 24, 2014

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013
I really havent had much problems with how Sensuki makes his suggestions or states his opinions. He occasionally throws the word "suck" around a little too loosely but he is usually detailed and reasoned. Not to mention that most of his critiques are valid and his suggestions are usually decent.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Definitely not the most politically correct person :)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wouldn't changing the XP system be a big pain in the rear end at this point? Presumably they'd have to go around manually readjusting everything and adding it all up along the way to make sure you can still reach the right levels by the right points.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's really easy, actually.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

To elaborate, our XP is all derived out of a relatively small table. We establish tiers of quests (by character level) and allocate a total amount of XP to be spread among all quests marked for that level. In turn, each quest is marked with a given level and as major, standard, or minor. The major/standard/minor classifications determine relative proportion of XP share that the quest gets when all quests are taken into account. So if 28 quests are marked as level 4 and level 4 quests only have 1000xp allocated for them, the per-quest reward is really tiny. We mostly just adjust the allocated XP in each tier and what quests are classified as, level-wise. To accommodate additional sources of XP, we start by determining those fixed-pool allocations and subtract them from the total quest XP. The exploration-related XP is a) not large and b) easy to quantify. The bestiary-related XP is also relatively easy to quantify because we associate total XP per bestiary entry, of which there are a fixed amount. We still have to tune after that basic estimation, but it's not a hard or time-consuming process overall.

We currently track within 1 level of our expected targets for XP acquired over the course of the game, so I'm not too worried about it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I couldn't care less about combat XP but I do think the Lore skill needs a bit of help IMO. Won't be very useful in combat for those with Combat HUD disabled in particular.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The main problem with Lore I think is that it's hard to tell if it's useful or not. There should be some more obvious ways to let the player know that a Lore skill check was just failed/passed.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

No no, out of combat Lore is great. In combat it's benefit is that it unlocks Bestiary entries faster. If you already know what those entries are via your own memory or metagaming - the benefit is nullified. It's handy to be able to see them on the combat tooltip, but the players who play in Expert mode or find the combat HUD annoying will disable it and that makes the Lore combat bonus even more useless.

Whereas you can't do that for Survival (extra consumable durations) or Stealth (get closer to enemies), or Mechanics (Traps deal more damage).

Athletics also has the issue where the prevention of fatigue doesn't matter if a character has less than 25% of the total stamina.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 25, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I mean when in combat I wouldn't mind to know when my Lore skill unlocked/failed to unlock a Bestiary entry.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

They could do that by showing it in a different color on the combat hud i guess

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

No no, out of combat Lore is great. In combat it's benefit is that it unlocks Bestiary entries faster. If you already know what those entries are via your own memory or metagaming - the benefit is nullified. It's handy to be able to see them on the combat tooltip, but the players who play in Expert mode or find the combat HUD annoying will disable it and that makes the Lore combat bonus even more useless.

Whereas you can't do that for Survival (extra consumable durations) or Stealth (get closer to enemies), or Mechanics (Traps deal more damage).

Athletics also has the issue where the prevention of fatigue doesn't matter if a character has less than 25% of the total stamina.

I'd favour going more punitive with it. Enable it in Expert mode, but make it so you can only see those stats if you have a character with the appropriate lore skill along (or a party total lore skill to make it valuable on multiple party members). Makes it more important as a mechanic. I'll admit to not being entirely certain why people would want to turn it off though, it doesn't make sense in any sense other than a 'I'm going to test my metagaming ability' one. Don't the benefits of knowing the enemies health surely far outway the slightly increased clutter of an extra popup when you mouse over an enemy?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

They (Combat HUDs) weren't necessary to play with in the Infinity Engine games and I prefer the "Injured" text? I can definitely see why they added them in for PE, because combat is confusing as hell atm compared to the IE games (patches should be able to fix). The only reason I use them is because the combat stances and idle animations do not change depending on whether a character is idle or in recovery - if/when they add in a different stance for recovery, I will always play with the Combat HUDs off.

Why would I invest in the skill for combat purposes if I can remember or look up the values. I'd rather put points into something that actually gives me a good bonus, such as Survival.

All the health dots do is represent those states, tbh they should use Health bars that represent actual HP instead IMO - that's more transparent.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 25, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Cool cover for the PC Gamer:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I like that pulp fantasy book cover style.

Needs more armor spikes and anime battleposes for optimal 2014 PR campaigning though. Someone grinning in an overbearingly smug way is a plus too.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Nice, but they should've had someone with a gun. That's one of the biggest "This ain't your daddy's D&D" things I saw in the original teaser image, just that quick glance of "Whoa, does that lady have a rifle she's blasting the baddies away with?"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Krowley posted:

I like that pulp fantasy book cover style.

Needs more armor spikes and anime battleposes for optimal 2014 PR campaigning though. Someone grinning in an overbearingly smug way is a plus too.

Agreed. Maybe "Dis is da new poo poo, yo"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there's no charisma stat, how do you explain Eder's beard? :allears:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
yeah it's a shame they don't have cadegund there. A gun-wielding paladin of the god of fire is a cool as heck concept and her art was one of the first things to interest me in the game. That and the line about godhammer citadel in the teaser.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

quote:

Adam Brennecke ‏@adam_brennecke

#PillarsofEternity backer beta patch incoming soonish! lots of good stuff in it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krowley posted:

Someone grinning in an overbearingly smug way is a plus too.

Smug Eder is best Eder.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

yeah it's a shame they don't have cadegund there. A gun-wielding paladin of the god of fire is a cool as heck concept and her art was one of the first things to interest me in the game. That and the line about godhammer citadel in the teaser.
Cadegund is no longer a CNPC iirc

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Cadegund is no longer a CNPC iirc
What why she was the coolest one aside from Pallegina.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

no one knows

anyway

quote:

Hello, everyone. We have released an update to the backer beta on Steam. We are still working on the Mac and Linux builds, so they are not currently up there (we are working as fast as we can on them, I promise). We have lots of new changes and fixes. As always, please play the build and give us feedback on our forums.

Here are the patch notes for the newly released Backer Beta Build 301.

Important Information Regarding Saves
Saved game location has changed. You can now find your saved games located in C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity. Keep in mind that old saved games will not be automatically moved to the new location and it is suggested that users start new games instead of trying to load old ones. Loading old games on the new build may cause undesirable behavior.

New Features

Rebalance to Attributes:

Might: Damage and Healing
Every point of Might over 10 increases a character's base Damage and Healing by 2% (penalties if under 10).

Constitution: Stamina and Health
Every point of Constitution over 10 increases the character's base Endurance and Health by 2% (penalties if under 10).

Dexterity: Action Speed
Every point of Dexterity over 10 increases Action Speed by 2% (penalties if under 10).

Perception: Accuracy and Range
Every point of Perception over 10 increases Accuracy by 1 and Range (for non-melee) by 5% (penalties if under 10).

Intellect: AoE Size and Deflection
Every point of Intellect over 10 increases the character's AoE sizes by 5% and Deflection by 1 (penalties if under 10).

Resolve: Concentration and Duration
Every point of Resolve over 10 increases a character's Concentration by 3% and Durations by 5% (penalties if under 10).

Stealth has been revised:

The new stealth system relies on the distance of a scouting character from an NPC to determine how quickly the creature will enter Alert and Combat states. A comparison of characters' individual Stealth skill ratings and creatures' levels modifies this rate. N.b.: A character that does not have LoS on the creature is not considered to be "inside" their radius.

When characters enter the scouting state, they gain a Stealth Meter. Currently, it's simply a solid circle completely filled with color (green or, if in colorblind mode, blue). This is a basic implementation and the art will change. Every NPC in the world has one of five stealth detection ratings (from Oblivious to Supernatural) that correspond to radii in the game.

When a scouting character gets into a creature's stealth detection range, their Stealth Meter will start filling from green/blue to yellow. This informs the player of how much time they have before the creature will enter Alert and Combat states. If the meter fills completely yellow, the creature will move up to a constant-defined max distance toward the character (e.g. 3m). At the same time, the yellow meter will begin to fill red. If the meter reaches full red, the scouting state is dropped, the character is detected, and hostile creatures enter Combat.

We will have a base rate at which these fills occur, but they can be modified by two elements: 1) the relationship between the character's Stealth and the target's level 2) the character's proximity to the target within the radius. The two modifiers both directly multiply the standard rate.
While this system is fully implemented, it has not been tuned and does not have final art.

Stamina is now called Endurance:

The stat previously known as Stamina is now called Endurance since that seems clearer to more people. Additionally, we are no longer doing the behind-the-scenes conversion of a percentage of received Stamina damage into Health damage as the system was opaque to players. Now, Max Endurance is multiplied by a factor determined by class to arrive at Max Health. This does mean that Health values are much higher than a traditional "D&D range", but in practice these values were already used in the background. In this update, when a character receives damage, it's applied equally to Endurance and Health.

Here are the current Endurance to Health multipliers for each class. "Front line" classes tend to have more Health as they are expected to be damaged and healed in combat with much greater frequency.

Barbarian - 6
Chanter - 4
Cipher - 4
Druid - 4
Fighter - 5
Monk - 6
Paladin - 5
Ranger - 4
Rogue - 4
Priest - 3
Wizard - 3

UI arrows have been added to show active engagement. We are still evaluating their appearance and functionality internally, so please give us feedback on their usefulness.
Hit effects for elemental damage, blood, and gibs have been added. Fire, shock, corrode, and frost damage will display visual effects on hit. Some creatures will gib when critically hit on death.
Dead bodies now turn into loot containers and can be looted directly.
New Talents.
This is the first batch of new talents more will be added in the coming weeks. All icons for the new talents are temporary.
New icons.
New sounds.
New portraits.
Many, many rules fixes and bug fixes for class abilities.

Fixes

Spells: many spells have been tuned to have faster casting times, shorter ranges, do/heal more or less damage, apply different effects, attack different defenses, or do different damage types. Of note: Fireball, Jolting Touch, Minoletta's Bounding Missiles, Winter Wind, Talons' Reach, Returning Storm, all Restore ____ Stamina spells, Vile Thorns, Lay on Hands, and many others.

Renormalized all attributes scores to 10 in character creation.

Enemy AI will now scan for new targets when path is blocked.

Caster AI can now investigate stealth.

Improvements to AI instruction sets. Most enemy AI can now target specific party members, including back line characters and casters.

Engagement is now cancelled on knockdown.

Fixes to stat calculations in character sheet.

Many fixes and adjustments to the combat log, including improved performance.

Added many improvements to "feels" of action bar.

Ranger animal companion, summoned creatures, and newly hired adventurers will not stomp on existing party members.

Sound effects and music should not cut out during combat or during long play sessions.

Improved footstep sounds.

Improvements of character models and textures.

Added highlight effect on mouseover for 3D objects, including doors and plants.

Added 'G' for opening Chant Editor and Grimoire.

Added exit button for character creation, level up, and adventurer's hall.

Improvements to loot tables.

Added notification for when stash can be used.

Adjusted fog of war and view distances.

Max wounds is now 10.

Intellect deflection bonus is applied to Ranger animal companion.

Changed many spells/abilities to be combat only.

Many more fixes too numerous to mention.

Known Issues

Placed traps do not work as intended.

Perception does not currently increase the range of attacks and spells.

Three of the new talents are not working correctly: Resilient Companion, Faithful Companion, and Painful Interdiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Woohoo new patch!

e: wow 2.0 gb

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread