Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks on both counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there anything better than Intellitype or Mouse and Keyboard Centre or whatever, that will make the media volume keys work reliably? I've got an old MS Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard and when the keys work they're fine, otherwise I can be waiting upwards of 30 seconds for the volume changes to finally happen. It's pretty poo poo!

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Is there anything I can do to increase my scroll speed with a touchpad? My laptop has a giant screen and it takes me 3-4 swipes to get from one corner of the screen to another. Sensitivity is set to the highest setting.

I'm using windows 8.1 with classic shell and it's an Acer Aspire V3-772G

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SBJ posted:

Is there anything I can do to increase my scroll speed with a touchpad? My laptop has a giant screen and it takes me 3-4 swipes to get from one corner of the screen to another. Sensitivity is set to the highest setting.

I'm using windows 8.1 with classic shell and it's an Acer Aspire V3-772G

Was it an upgrade from Windows 7? The stock touchpad driver has pretty low sensitivity. Try grabbing a a driver from Acer and see if that helps.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do you change a public network to a private one in Windows 8.1 if it doesn't show up on PC Settings>Network? It shows up fine in the network and sharing center.

hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\networklist\profiles doesn't seem to exist.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 21, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

baka kaba posted:

Is there anything better than Intellitype or Mouse and Keyboard Centre or whatever, that will make the media volume keys work reliably? I've got an old MS Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard and when the keys work they're fine, otherwise I can be waiting upwards of 30 seconds for the volume changes to finally happen. It's pretty poo poo!

Mine has always worked without any extra software. What version of Windows are you on?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Toast Museum posted:

Was it an upgrade from Windows 7? The stock touchpad driver has pretty low sensitivity. Try grabbing a a driver from Acer and see if that helps.

I don't think it was an upgrade, it just came pre-installed. I did try the driver from Acer to no avail. I mean it's no problem when I'm actually using a mouse but it's a pain in the rear end if I'm just in bed. Are there any third party software solutions?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

How do you change a public network to a private one in Windows 8.1 if it doesn't show up on PC Settings>Network? It shows up fine in the network and sharing center.

hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\networklist\profiles doesn't seem to exist.

In network and sharing center you can click on the small icon on the left of the network name (iirc it's a bench for public networks) and the network type select window should pop up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In network and sharing center you can click on the small icon on the left of the network name (iirc it's a bench for public networks) and the network type select window should pop up.

Ain't got none. There's a little cable connector looking icon next to the connection name (which isn't clickable), but as far as I can tell networks aren't named at all.

'

Everything I can find says to do it through the Metro interface but network 4 there doesn't show up in it.

e: checked the registry again and this time the NetworkList expanded properly and let me edit the drat network.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 21, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Mine has always worked without any extra software. What version of Windows are you on?

Hrm you're right, I'm sure it wasn't working before because I uninstalled Mouse and Keyboard Centre to see if I could get by without it. Weird! Thanks though

Ok in that case, anyone have any recommendations for software to pop up a volume slider, in case this still ends up lagging? Just so I can see exactly where the volume level is when I do a keyboard adjustment

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I have a question that I hope someone might know a solution to.

We've got thousands of files spread across multiple directories, inside each directory is a *.txt file that corresponds to images in that specific folder that we're using. The issue is that over time cruft has built up in images that are in a folder but not being used in the *.txt file.

Is there a way for me to parse the txt file and then delete any files in the folder that don't match what's found in that file?

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
PowerShell can do that for you:

code:
Set-Location "C:\Whatever"
$files = Get-Content .\files.txt
Get-ChildItem -Exclude $files | Remove-Item

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but has anyone else been seeing weird behavior from MS Security Essentials in the last few days? My copy has been maxing out a core, getting in some kind of an intermittent fight with Digsby and Firefox Aurora and slowing both of them to a crawl.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Win7, IE9, Java 1.7.20-something, one webapp works, another gets blocked for out of date java version.

Users at a remote office all use a webapp of ours, requires this specific 1.7.xx jre (:gay: I know) late last week I found out 10 or so of these people also require access to a certain bank's java-enabled website and bank website was suddenly causing trouble for 5 of them, today I learned trouble meant no access at all and this is a BFD, something they need all day long. Everything's always just worked out there and I never really needed to know anything about jvaa plugins.

I'm pretty sure it's something the bank did for it to happen to 5 at once, 10 people run the same java version and only half have problems.

I didn't get a chance to look too close, I remoted in to one (via cell phone tether in my car at McDonalds) Our webapp inits java works fine, java tester at java.com works fine, bank's website gives a pop up warning (IE-generated it looks like) at the bottom of IE saying applet's blocked due to out of date java. I tried messing with java security settings, tried the ie mass-reset button and re-enabled java addons, still the same thing.

Any ideas?

I didn't have a chance to reinstall java or see if it would work under my profile on a problem pc but this site's wan is so slow for remoting pcs and so far of a drive that I'd like to avoid any userprofile rebuilds or even java reinstall's if someone knows something easy and obvious I'm not thinking of would be awesome.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Vin BioEthanol posted:

lovely webapp using ancient version of java

You know about this right?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

WorkingStiff posted:

You know about this right?

I didn't, I don't work with any PCs running java hardly at all but this makes sense, they could've set the gpo to allow our lovely java app through (edit ours is intranet, allowed by default reading more, might not even be a gpo) but not had known about this bank website, maybe the 5 that are working haven't picked up the patch/GPO somehow.

Edit the bank one does give a run this time button so a GPO isn't blocking that but it flashes so quick and disappears when the bank puts their own error popup there they can't click it. I would turn on popup blocker for the site but the java-needing function is in a popup window of its own, human being all the way around.

Sounds like as long as no GPO they just need to add the bank to trusted sites.(I don't think admin needed for that right?)

Thanks and gently caress java forever.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 23, 2014

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It was that, in its default form, no gpo, thanks again.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Vin BioEthanol posted:

It was that, in its default form, no gpo, thanks again.

I figured - glad it was so easy to fix!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to tell Windows 7 (64 bit) to ignore keep-awake requests from certain things? Basically, any time a browser is open, my PC never sleeps on its own. I don't care if something is playing, or if a YouTube video is paused, go the f*** to sleep.

User-initiated sleep works fine. If there is nothing listed in powercfg -requests, sleep timers work normally. I just want it to respect the sleep timer over some or all power requests.

code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS
_1849C892&REV_1003\4&1e3670ea&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone know if Windows 7 service pack 1 includes the .net 4.5.1 client now? Or is it rolled up into some other package? I need it not to be installed on certain machines in my company because there's some software we use from a certain vendor that 4.5 causes issues with. I was just manually setting up one machine for testing and windows update never indicated I was installing 4.5 but suddenly there it was.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

tadashi posted:

Does anyone know if Windows 7 service pack 1 includes the .net 4.5.1 client now? Or is it rolled up into some other package? I need it not to be installed on certain machines in my company because there's some software we use from a certain vendor that 4.5 causes issues with. I was just manually setting up one machine for testing and windows update never indicated I was installing 4.5 but suddenly there it was.

.Net 4.5 came with Windows 8, SP1 for 7 was out way before that. Something else is installing it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to tell Windows 7 (64 bit) to ignore keep-awake requests from certain things? Basically, any time a browser is open, my PC never sleeps on its own. I don't care if something is playing, or if a YouTube video is paused, go the f*** to sleep.

User-initiated sleep works fine. If there is nothing listed in powercfg -requests, sleep timers work normally. I just want it to respect the sleep timer over some or all power requests.

code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS
_1849C892&REV_1003\4&1e3670ea&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

try POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tadashi posted:

This is a tangent, but are you sure that 4.5.1 won't work? My company's software has a problem with 4.5, but Microsoft corrected the issue in 4.5.1 so it works.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is/was MS so goddamn annoying about mixed content errors? You can't even tell the error is there with Firefox by default, and Chrome merely shows a slightly different looking padlock icon. IE throws up "WARNING: You could get RAPED by viewing this webpage". Why the different approach?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Radbot posted:

Why is/was MS so goddamn annoying about mixed content errors? You can't even tell the error is there with Firefox by default, and Chrome merely shows a slightly different looking padlock icon. IE throws up "WARNING: You could get RAPED by viewing this webpage". Why the different approach?

Do you want to be raped? Probably not, and only M$ is looking out for your rear end in a top hat.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is a silly question but I can't find enough info to be sure, and I tend to trust SA more than random googling.

I recently bought an SSD and have isntalled windows on it. Is there currently any way to get my drivers, steam games, desktop settings, etc transferred from my old install?

I'd image the drive but the old drive is about twice the size of the ssd so that wouldn't be viable I think.

I can redo everything it just seems like a huge PITA, especially the motherboard drivers.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a silly question but I can't find enough info to be sure, and I tend to trust SA more than random googling.

I recently bought an SSD and have isntalled windows on it. Is there currently any way to get my drivers, steam games, desktop settings, etc transferred from my old install?

I'd image the drive but the old drive is about twice the size of the ssd so that wouldn't be viable I think.

I can redo everything it just seems like a huge PITA, especially the motherboard drivers.

I don't know what people are using for the rest of those things these days, but if you do end up with a fresh install Steam does have a backup and restore feature so you won't have to download however many million gigglybits of games all over again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nevvy Z posted:

If you can make the amount of data to clone smaller than the target drive, some cloning programs can auto resize the partition during transfer. I think maybe Macrium Reflect Free can do it, but you'd have to check.

Steam folder can be moved around freely and be reconnected in place to a new install of the Steam client, or so I've read.

There's only one thing that can reasonably reliably move programs from one install to another and it's by Laplink. PC Mover or something like that. It costs a bunch of money and I'm not even sure the cheapest version allows you to be selective about what you transfer.

You want definite answers by people who have done these things themselves, go to the SSD thread.

Must be said that anything you're going to do is going to be about an equal PITA as re-installing everything, just in different ways (excluding having to re-download everything from Steam, which shouldn't be needed in any case).

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRAE7MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi guys, that above copy of windows 8.1 is fine for me to use to try and do a fresh install of windows on a new PC right? I ahve put the DVD in my drive, booted from it, and when I try to install windows, after choosing language it comes up saying my computer is missing a driver to continue install... any ideas??

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Pogue_Mahone posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRAE7MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi guys, that above copy of windows 8.1 is fine for me to use to try and do a fresh install of windows on a new PC right? I ahve put the DVD in my drive, booted from it, and when I try to install windows, after choosing language it comes up saying my computer is missing a driver to continue install... any ideas??

Eh, what hardware? This is usually caused by a defective disc or failing DVD drive. Have you tried USB?

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Hmmm, think it may have been my drive, which is about 4 years old form original build - After I tried it a few time I got it working and now have a shiny new Windows 8.1 installed. How the gently caress can I make it look nicer?! I have installed one of the free Start button apps already. Anything else that is useful?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Hmmm, think it may have been my drive, which is about 4 years old form original build - After I tried it a few time I got it working and now have a shiny new Windows 8.1 installed. How the gently caress can I make it look nicer?! I have installed one of the free Start button apps already. Anything else that is useful?

Run Windows Update repeatedly, manually rebooting in-between. There was an "8.1 Update 1" KB which came out around six months ago which may or may not be optional. It fixed a lot of the UI issues for me and the last time I formatted I never installed a start button replacement. Familiarize yourself with Win Key + X.

I'd recommend setting it to just boot straight to desktop and go through the "Personalize" menu and turning off the kawaii themes before installing a bunch of third-party programs. The other thing I would recommend is disabling the "Get search suggestions and web results from Bing" so when you do a search of your local PC you aren't getting results off the internet.

I also run Malwarebytes in conjunction with MS anti-virus just to be on the safe side.

My biggest trivial complaint is how the "Favorites" and "Folders" view cannot be easily changed in the navigation so I don't have to see that useless poo poo every time I'm browsing Explorer. I've removed it in the registry, but it always ends up breaking something.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

WorkingStiff posted:

My biggest trivial complaint is how the "Favorites" and "Folders" view cannot be easily changed

You can customize Favorites by dragging folders into that list to add things and right click => "Remove" to remove them.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

You can customize Favorites by dragging folders into that list to add things and right click => "Remove" to remove them.

Any idea how to collapse, move down or remove the libraries in the navigation pane?

Edited to add for anyone who cares: these are the reg keys you must remove to get rid of the Libraries from the Explorer navigation pane, but it eventually reappears.

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A0953C92-50DC-43bf-BE83-3742FED03C9C}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A0953C92-50DC-43bf-BE83-3742FED03C9C}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}]

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 26, 2014

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I gave up trying to fight it and just put anything I could conceivably want in Favorites. If you want (eg) Computer more than you want anything in Libraries, just put Computer in Favorites.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you can make the amount of data to clone smaller than the target drive, some cloning programs can auto resize the partition during transfer. I think maybe Macrium Reflect Free can do it, but you'd have to check.

Steam folder can be moved around freely and be reconnected in place to a new install of the Steam client, or so I've read.

There's only one thing that can reasonably reliably move programs from one install to another and it's by Laplink. PC Mover or something like that. It costs a bunch of money and I'm not even sure the cheapest version allows you to be selective about what you transfer.

You want definite answers by people who have done these things themselves, go to the SSD thread.

Must be said that anything you're going to do is going to be about an equal PITA as re-installing everything, just in different ways (excluding having to re-download everything from Steam, which shouldn't be needed in any case).

Thanks, I managed to shrink it by uninstalling old games and made cloning work. I couldn't find the drivers to do a clean install right, the ones I found for my Mobo wouldn't work correctly, but everything's up and running now.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What exactly is hyper terminal? I have a PBX which can be accessed via hyper terminal and get a running log of incoming and outgoing calls. I want to connect to it and just record that stream of output 24/7. How would I go about doing this? I was reading about it but I'm not too clear. Hyper terminal can interface with several different protocols? Not just telnet? I thought it was just telnet but apparently not.

Any idea how I could achieve this goal?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

What exactly is hyper terminal? I have a PBX which can be accessed via hyper terminal and get a running log of incoming and outgoing calls. I want to connect to it and just record that stream of output 24/7. How would I go about doing this? I was reading about it but I'm not too clear. Hyper terminal can interface with several different protocols? Not just telnet? I thought it was just telnet but apparently not.

Any idea how I could achieve this goal?

HyperTerminal is a third party terminal client that Microsoft licensed for several iterations of Windows, and which you can still buy separately for newer versions of Windows as HyperTerminal Private Edition and HyperACCESS.

HyperTerminal is capable of doing not only telnet, but also modem communication and direct communication over serial and parallel ports without a modem involved. Over these various connections, it can emulate Minitel, VT100, VT52, VT220 and Viewdata terminal equipment and others, and supports most modem/serial link transfer modes like xmodem/zmodem/ymodem, kermit, plain ASCII and others.

Additionally the non-bundled-with-Windows newer versions can handle SSH connections.

So, you're going to need to dig into the configuration for your particular connection in order to figure out what method and protocol HyperTerminal installed on that computer is using to connect to the PBX. Then you might be able to find an alternate program for connecting that stays constantly connected and logs everything (though I should note that by default HyperTerminal will stay logged in until the remote server kicks it off, and logging is supported. So if you try enabling logging and your HyperTerminal connection still ends up disconnecting after time passes it may be that the server on the PBX is forcing disconnects).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sorry if this is not the right thread for it, but after looking through the forum I couldn't find a better one.

So, I've been running with Vista Home Premium 32bit for years now, and pushed upgrading to a 64bit OS ahead of me because :effort: But I think I have do it now, since I mainly use my PC for gaming and a lot of the current releases move towards 64bit systems, and it looks as if 64bit is just becomming the new standart all around. Now, I already have 4G of memory installed, and also made sure that my old-rear end processor is able to support 64Bit. But the main problem I have is that I don't really know what Windows 64 OS I should go for. I thought I'd just look for a 64Bit version of Vista, but since that's so outdated by the current Microsoft state, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Microsoft wants to dump Windows 8 on me, but I never even looked at windows 7 so how should I know if 8 will do me any good?

So yeah, please tell me things because I'm a PC baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

HyperTerminal is a third party terminal client that Microsoft licensed for several iterations of Windows, and which you can still buy separately for newer versions of Windows as HyperTerminal Private Edition and HyperACCESS.

HyperTerminal is capable of doing not only telnet, but also modem communication and direct communication over serial and parallel ports without a modem involved. Over these various connections, it can emulate Minitel, VT100, VT52, VT220 and Viewdata terminal equipment and others, and supports most modem/serial link transfer modes like xmodem/zmodem/ymodem, kermit, plain ASCII and others.

Additionally the non-bundled-with-Windows newer versions can handle SSH connections.

So, you're going to need to dig into the configuration for your particular connection in order to figure out what method and protocol HyperTerminal installed on that computer is using to connect to the PBX. Then you might be able to find an alternate program for connecting that stays constantly connected and logs everything (though I should note that by default HyperTerminal will stay logged in until the remote server kicks it off, and logging is supported. So if you try enabling logging and your HyperTerminal connection still ends up disconnecting after time passes it may be that the server on the PBX is forcing disconnects).

Thanks bud. Sounds like I just need HyperTerminal and see if logging works.

So once I connect there is a way to see what particular protocol I'm utilizing for that connection?