Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dsmif posted:

I feel like the zipline controls worse in Origins compared to City. I'm playing through origins now after just finishing City and it seems like you have to get a lot closer to activate the zipline then before, which is a real pain in the predator sections when trying to swing round quickly on the gargoyles.

Some of the grapnel targetting is way different. Batman will refuse to target a watertower I'm directly beside, but he's all too willing to attach to a gargoyle three buildings away. I feel like they just glitched out his overall targetting somehow, maybe by radiuming up a new ability or mechanic and tying it in poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh, another irritating thing in Origins is the really tight scoring on some combat maps, especially Intense Training in both variants. You have to pretty much do all four rounds perfectly in order to triple medal those. It's really weird because the later maps aren't like that at all, and are actually much easier because of it.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Some of the grapnel targetting is way different. Batman will refuse to target a watertower I'm directly beside, but he's all too willing to attach to a gargoyle three buildings away. I feel like they just glitched out his overall targetting somehow, maybe by radiuming up a new ability or mechanic and tying it in poorly.

Yeah, it just feels like they didn't polish the game as much as Rocksteady did. I still like it, but it's more frustrating to play compared to the first two.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

ImpAtom posted:

Having played it, this isn't really accurate. The Nemesis system also alters the character's strengths and weaknesses and they get more strengths and lose weaknesses as they get stronger. Certain characters are immune to takedowns or can instantly kill mounts but may be vulnerable to fire or easily terrified by bugs or whatever. Sometimes they gain new special moves or will have an army of bodyguards or whatever. It absolutely influences the difficulty of enemies.

Maybe it just hasn't been explained to me well at all. But those are all 100% things that normal spawning scripts can handle for basically any AAA game. Having an orc start out as a weakling and slowly gain skills offscreen like he's in his own RPG and you just don't really see him doing it, then he shows up with special abilities walking around the map is different how exactly from simply determining at what percentage that type of encounter would occur normally and then just spawning an enemy with an ability set falling within those parameters?

Because it seems like wasted processes to me. You don't need to accurately watch everything going on behind scenes. It would be like if the selling point for a movie was that the actors mimed through their characters lives even when they weren't on set. It doesn't matter what happens off screen, it doesn't make the actual movie any better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I wish they had options to adjust all of the physics independently like 007 Agent Under Fire. Not a great game overall but the multiplayer was basically like janky Spider-Man with guns because of that. More games need that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Maybe it just hasn't been explained to me well at all. But those are all 100% things that normal spawning scripts can handle for basically any AAA game. Having an orc start out as a weakling and slowly gain skills offscreen like he's in his own RPG and you just don't really see him doing it, then he shows up with special abilities walking around the map is different how exactly from simply determining at what percentage that type of encounter would occur normally and then just spawning an enemy with an ability set falling within those parameters?

Because it seems like wasted processes to me. You don't need to accurately watch everything going on behind scenes. It would be like if the selling point for a movie was that the actors mimed through their characters lives even when they weren't on set. It doesn't matter what happens off screen, it doesn't make the actual movie any better.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing but you don't seem to have had it explained well at all, no.

The basic idea is that there is a big menu with Sauron's Army on it. When an unnamed mook is promoted to a named mook, they get put on that hierarchy and gain a semi-random set of strengths and weaknesses. The lower they are on the hierarchy, the more weaknesses and fewer strengths they have. You can manipulate this hierarchy to move orcs into favorable positions for you, either by assassinating them or mind-controlling them to do your bidding. The stronger they are, the more strengths and fewer weaknesses you get. They don't do this offscreen and everything in the hierarchy is documented. (Although you need to find Riddler-style intel to discover an orc's strengths/weaknesses)

The entire point of it is that this stuff isn't offscreen, it is documented onscreen in way you can manipulate and which is reactive to the way you approach the game. The orcs are not gaining skills offscreen, the gaining is a specific mechanic which the player can manipulate in their favor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kalonZombie posted:

Oh, another irritating thing in Origins is the really tight scoring on some combat maps, especially Intense Training in both variants. You have to pretty much do all four rounds perfectly in order to triple medal those. It's really weird because the later maps aren't like that at all, and are actually much easier because of it.

Conversely, the Predator challenges are much easier.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dammit game, I wnated to earn the 25 meter low flight, and 50 hit/all variation combo challenges legitimately. Once again you just give them to me without any input on my behalf. :saddowns:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Well Shadow of Mordor is sounding more and more like a game I should really be getting.

Yup, same here.

I'd almost written it off and not looked up much about it because i'm getting burned out on LoTR games, especially lovely ones (i really wish we could get the Middle Earth RTS games on steam).

But after looking up those videos i think i'm gonna jump on it next week because it's gonna scratch that Autumn Batman itch i get every year.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Dammit game, I wnated to earn the 25 meter low flight, and 50 hit/all variation combo challenges legitimately. Once again you just give them to me without any input on my behalf. :saddowns:

Weird.

I got them legit, though. The 50 hit one wasn't even that tough because I managed to get it before the timing on counters becomes super hosed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

poptart_fairy posted:

These happen because the logic flag telling the game that you've ended a flight or combat setting doesn't get tripped, letting actions accumulate toward the target amount. It can happen with the predator achievements, too. Additionally, the 50 hit combo and all variation combo are flagged separately (whether this is intentional or not is hard to say).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember getting some of my achievements oddly, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I figured it was something like odd coding. I can do them legitimately (got the similar stuff in City) but c'mon, no need to give me hand-outs on the stuff I'm actually capable of doing!

e; Part of the cool Bats club:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nothing more heroic than beating up a ton of cops in a police station. :allears:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a few things I don;t like about Origins after playing it a bit more. The change to the aerial move that was used for shield enemies is the worst because I played so much ranked fights in city that it;s automatic to try and abuse the iframes by flipping to another assailant, but if you do that in origins then you do an extra long animation whic results in a punch to the head. Also, the way batman gets into a fighting stance as soon as he sees an enemy pisses me off. There was nothing cooler than walking into a crown of mooks as calm as day and countering the first thug that attacked you and then unloading on everyone in self defence. Now, as soon as batman sees an enemy he squats down into this goofy martial arts pose. Boooo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nothing more heroic than beating up a ton of cops in a police station. :allears:

I have recorded evidence of them conspiring to murder me. Besides, Branden was up and about a few moments later so it wasn't that hard a punch. :colbert:

Is it actually possible to do that same bit on NG+? I just remember being a fuckton of armoured guys in there.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it actually possible to do that same bit on NG+? I just remember being a fuckton of armoured guys in there.

Sure it is. Just build up your multiplier to X5 and do the instant takedown moves on them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, but just about everyone in the room is armored. That'd require you to cape stun and start a beatdown, and a number of the officers have guns.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Use the concussion detonator, duh

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Use the concussion detonator, duh

Or explosive gel or smoke bombs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hmm, I should try that next time. I feel like I did try the gel, though.

Anyway, here's a MOD of that fight of Batman against 53 officers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jw460Hmqp8

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hmm, I should try that next time. I feel like I did try the gel, though.

Anyway, here's a MOD of that fight of Batman against 53 officers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jw460Hmqp8

jesus christ. Arkham Knight's big fights can't come quick enough.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

God, that video is painful. So Batman can't take damage, and the guy totally blows his combo takedowns by just not using them ever and getting hit constantly.

Boy, I love modding :geno:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it would've been better if he just fought the 53 officers without hacking his health.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I was expecting to be shown how to play the game. What a let down.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

In NG+, you can make things a bit easier with some prep time(just like Batman would!) by going into the hallway just outside the meeting room, silently taking out the lone guard, then spraying three explosive gels traps just outside the door. Go into the meeting room to get their attention and lead them straight into your traps. Congrats! You've got about fifteen seconds to ground takedown as many officers as you can and the survivors are all unarmed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The server room, expanded, would have been a really neat predator area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Perhaps I wasn't clear. When I said kill the Bat, I mean KILL THE BAT. :byodood:"

"You know he really needs to try positive reinforcement sometime. :ohdear:"

Oh goons, I love your banter so very much.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just spent like 45 mins trying to beat deadshot while doing loud takedowns only to either die to dumb poo poo or set off the hostage murder and then I finally do it and I missed a takedown without realising. Please shoot whoever invented these challenges.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

"Perhaps I wasn't clear. When I said kill the Bat, I mean KILL THE BAT. :byodood:"

"You know he really needs to try positive reinforcement sometime. :ohdear:"

Oh goons, I love your banter so very much.

The thug dialogue for that room is pretty funny at times, because they have random responses. So sometimes you get gems like this.

"I guess I wasn't clear enough when I said I wanted the Bat DEAD."

"Wait, what does he want?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I was pretty surprised to discover the Hatter running a room in the challenge maps. Joker, Bane, Black Mask, sure. But the Mad Hatter?

More opportunities to terrorize men in bunny masks, I guess :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

There's also a spanish language site that has steam keys for $30. A lot of people have had good experiences with them mention it in the SoM thread.

Nuuvem, and it's Portugese/Brazilian

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was pretty surprised to discover the Hatter running a room in the challenge maps. Joker, Bane, Black Mask, sure. But the Mad Hatter?

More opportunities to terrorize men in bunny masks, I guess :v:

I actually found that pretty great. It was a nice change of pace from Joker or Riddler talking in every predator map.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my goodness they didn't fix the bug in the Royal Hotel where thugs will endlessly scream in terror if you disable a gun box before attacking them. Batman's beating the poo poo out of them and all they care about is finding a pair of keys.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I am hurt to my core that the Adam West skin isn't on PC.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now, but I think I'm missing something with the Riddler crap. How do I get the data packs to show on the map?

I've cleared all the informants - do I really have to go to the most wanted tab, select Enigma, select a region, choose datapacks and then memorise where they are? Surely there's a way to just have them show up on the map like in the earlier games?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They should be on the map as soon as you've dealt with a handler. I've never heard of them not appearing on the map.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, you know what? I bet you ran out of the ones which are on the world map. There's a bunch inside various buildings, and those ones you do need to go into the Enigma dossier to find.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Really? Yeah I guess that's it. What a pain in the arse system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can just click on the building as well which shows them there.

• Locked thread