Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The tunnel scene was pretty cool and obviously Fet continues to be the best character. I dig The Master's face and hands because, gently caress it, they're funny and this show's stupid so it works.

Them wasting more time on Gus? Ugggh. I feel bad for the actor that he spent the majority of this season doing dick all. The kid's scenes sucked too, especially after him being surprisingly easy to handle last episode.

Dammit, show me more Stephen McHattie Vampire, show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I was hoping the Master's appearance would follow from the whole worm-vampire premise and he wouldn't actually have a face but instead some Lovecraftian mass of tentacles and mandibles and worms.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I was hoping the Master's appearance would follow from the whole worm-vampire premise and he wouldn't actually have a face but instead some Lovecraftian mass of tentacles and mandibles and worms.

What if hes a giant worm wearing the body of a big dude like a suit? Crossing my fingers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.48 posted:

What if hes a giant worm wearing the body of a big dude like a suit? Crossing my fingers.

Vince Vampman

He goes out on dates, etc. and only Setrakian can see it's just a worm in a people costume.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

Seriously I thought that was more or less the premise of the show. You get infected, your human body just basically becomes a "shell" and a vehicle to point and fire your stinger. Your hair falls out, skins starts rotting off, etc. With this vampirism as sort of the "ultimate parasite" I guess I didn't figure on the Master being humanoid and kind of comically dressed like a classical Dracula vampire with the huge collar and coffin etc.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Vince Vampman

He goes out on dates, etc. and only Setrakian can see it's just a worm in a people costume.

See but this gag would actually be more entertaining than the half of the episode spent on bad child actor getting smokes for senile grandma.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Oh and his fake accent is really loving terrible. Are actual Russian-speaking actors THAT hard to find in Hollywood? By comparison, The Americans did a fantastic job with their Russian-speaking cast. And yes, I know that Fet is supposed to be Ukrainian, but the two languages are extremely similar and anyone who grew up under Soviet rule in Ukraine and left before 91 speaks Russian.

Edit: To clarify, a Ukrainian speaking actor would be even better, but from watching The Americans we can see that at at the very least there are some Russian speakers are working in the TV business.
Well for one, The Americans is a good show and this... this is not.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Oh Kevin Durand. Your accent sucks because I can't understand what the hell you're saying! Stop being a mush mouth!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

See but this gag would actually be more entertaining than the half of the episode spent on bad child actor getting smokes for senile grandma.

Seriously, I hate kids in horror movies (well, 99% of the time) and having watched my own grandma turn into a vegetable from Alzheimer's this episode really made me cringe even without any vampires onscreen.

Oh and the same kid plays the son of a congressman in House of Cards, with congressman himself played by the same actor who plays Ephraim here. They're not father and son in real life, so its kind of weird that they play those roles with each other in two separate shows.

Josh Lyman posted:

Its just a bummer because this show started out so strong.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 22, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The Americans is that spy show? Never got around to watching it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

etalian posted:

It's literally one of the best shows on TV. It has aired 2 seasons, 26 episodes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

The Americans is a loving AMAZING show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Americans is fantastic; also, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys' wig game is so strong.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Perestroika posted:

This show would be so much more enjoyable if about half the characters were outright cut, especially that kid and Alzheimer's mom. The troubles of fatherhood or dealing with dementia in relatives can make for interesting themes for a show to explore, but not for this particular show about Nazi-Worm-Vampires who like making GBS threads where they eat.

Agreed. I read the first book on a plane and while it was far from stellar, it's funny that most of the things people (including me) have been bitching about in the show were added in translation. I think what happened is that they felt like without a mental narrative, characters like Nora, Jim, Fet, and Gus would feel very one-dimensional- so they added a bunch of scenes introducing Nora's mother, Jim's wife, Gus's friend, etc. all of whom are barely footnotes in the text.

This is what disjointed the pacing so badly and made a lot of the decisions of the protagonists, conspirators, and bystanders seem so idiotic.

There's mass panic over the disappearances and violence 2-3 nights in. Eph is framed almost immediately and the FBI agents are conspirators instead of just idiots.

Eph and Nora's Dana Scullying towards Setrakian in the show ("Ok, there's vampires, but telepathy?? BULLSHIT") is reduced to:

"Vampires? Prove it."
"Ok, look."
"Huh, let's listen to this guy."

It's campy as hell, but the book at least felt a lot more self-aware of its campyness while the show feels like it's trying to make me give a poo poo about Eph's glue-eating kid risking his life for cigarettes.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
omg whatever about bad russian accents LOOK AT THE KEITH THOMPSON (at least I think it's KT) CONCEPT ART FOR THE MASTER

I love his art but it seems like he never updates his portfolio :(

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
That concept art is awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Catching up on this and I'm on episode 4 and I really super enjoy this a lot. Also, I am skipping through like some stuff because I read the book and remember a good bit but otherwise watching it through out.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2014

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

etalian posted:

Like everyone else said, its absolutely amazing if you have even the slightest interest in cold-war politics. The writing is excellent, and I particularly appreciate the effort they made to have key Russian-speaking roles filled by actors who can actually speak Russian.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Honestly, my favorite part of the episode was when I caught the last 30 seconds of Twilight and wondered why a bunch of evil prettyboy hair vampires were hanging out in the secret ancient vampire lair instead of noseless, worm-riddled Count Orlocks. Seriously, I watch this show to see vampires kill people/people kill vampires and the really fantastic stuff I just KNOW Del Toro can produce...not 45 minutes of a kid bickering with Alzheimer's grandma and a tall dude wearing a Batboy mask.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I wish they had never showed the Masters face, the makeup just looks hilarious. Something shrouded with a badass cloak and spooky eyes is way scarier since you have to imagine the rest. Now he just looks like a puppet :/

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'll add to the chorus of voices that hopes the reveal is that it is just a mask with Cthulhuface underneath.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Finndo posted:

I'll add to the chorus of voices that hopes the reveal is that it is just a mask with Cthulhuface underneath.

As if this show would somehow NOT let you down, you're so cute.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He switches faces at some point, don't worry about it.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
I've missed the last two episodes, is this a good thing? Are either of them worth watching?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

matrocious posted:

I've missed the last two episodes, is this a good thing? Are either of them worth watching?

DO what I do and just literally skip all the dialog that isn't the old guy or the ratcatcher dude or any of the vampire stuff. You can get through an episode in about 12 minutes and come out on top.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drifter posted:

DO what I do and just literally skip all the dialog that isn't the old guy or the ratcatcher dude or any of the vampire stuff. You can get through an episode in about 12 minutes and come out on top.

Let's think bigger--since I quit the thread has been much better than the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was really smart devoting half the episode to cigarette quest. Quality television.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
I am pretty angry that the stupid kid got what appears to be methanol instead of regular. Absolute outrage.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

maxidious posted:

I am pretty angry that the stupid kid got what appears to be methanol instead of regular. Absolute outrage.

No wonder that lady is so grumpy

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

maxidious posted:

Wow people are smoking solvents these days?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I pretty much skip anything that is not vampire related and it's been a really good show. What cigarette quest?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hollismason posted:

I pretty much skip anything that is not vampire related and it's been a really good show. What cigarette quest?

kid was craving a butt, sent the old lady out to get him some smokes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Avasculous posted:

Agreed. I read the first book on a plane and while it was far from stellar, it's funny that most of the things people (including me) have been bitching about in the show were added in translation. I think what happened is that they felt like without a mental narrative, characters like Nora, Jim, Fet, and Gus would feel very one-dimensional- so they added a bunch of scenes introducing Nora's mother, Jim's wife, Gus's friend, etc. all of whom are barely footnotes in the text.

This is what disjointed the pacing so badly and made a lot of the decisions of the protagonists, conspirators, and bystanders seem so idiotic.

There's mass panic over the disappearances and violence 2-3 nights in. Eph is framed almost immediately and the FBI agents are conspirators instead of just idiots.

Eph and Nora's Dana Scullying towards Setrakian in the show ("Ok, there's vampires, but telepathy?? BULLSHIT") is reduced to:

"Vampires? Prove it."
"Ok, look."
"Huh, let's listen to this guy."

It's campy as hell, but the book at least felt a lot more self-aware of its campyness while the show feels like it's trying to make me give a poo poo about Eph's glue-eating kid risking his life for cigarettes.

For being a huge nerd who so obviously loves the subject material Del Toro has a recurring problem with refusing to actually get to the drat firework factory. Like in Blade 2 when he spends the entire movie hyping up the anti-vampire kill squad only to unceremoniously kill them off, or Pacific Rim promising gratuitous non-stop kaiju-on-giant-robot action and delivering murky nighttime underwater slugfests wedged between 90 minutes of training montages and pointless side character hijinx while also killing off most of the robots as soon as you finally get to see them in action.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's not really cut out for flashy poo poo. I wish he'd go back to making stuff like his early movies.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just started watching this show thanks to the FX Now app. I'm on episode 4 and really enjoying it. I really like the slow build and the vampires are really freaky looking.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

I just started watching this show thanks to the FX Now app. I'm on episode 4 and really enjoying it. I really like the slow build and the vampires are really freaky looking.

Ahhh, you're such a nice young man. Have you seen my ashtray. Now go get me a loving cigarette. Then help me find my Nora.

edit: this is actually a very snide and cynical commentary on the show and should in no way be taken personally by you or assumed by you to in any way reflect on you personally, your taste in TV or your posting skills or abilities. this disclaimer is here because, I don't know your life or who you are and, my comments are sincerely not intended to offend you.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 27, 2014

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

radical meme posted:

Ahhh, you're such a nice young man. Have you seen my ashtray. Now go get me a loving cigarette. Then help me find my Nora.

edit: this is actually a very snide and cynical commentary on the show and should in no way be taken personally by you or assumed by you to in any way reflect on you personally, your taste in TV or your posting skills or abilities. this disclaimer is here because, I don't know your life or who you are and, my comments are sincerely not intended to offend you.

My wifes been pestering me to watch it and I have a lot of down time at work so I figured why not

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

My wifes been pestering me to watch it and I have a lot of down time at work so I figured why not

Actually I think I would enjoy this show more if I was binging through it instead of doing a week by week slog with more time to pick it apart. Binging is the way to go with this show. Enjoy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
At least we get more Quinlan in a day days. That's going to rule.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the Strain irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, that picture's loving nauseating. To imagine that many loving worms/other parasites infesting your flesh to that extent? I go insane if there's a single fly in my room. There are people all over the world who have worms living in them and that's just what their loving lives are. They got worms. They don't die from them, like they do starvation or malaria, so worms are small potatoes.

• Locked thread