Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If Sangmin doesn't show up with his SSJ2 hair again and that ballin shirt from the s2 finale then I'll be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Winner of S1 and S2 of the genius are discussed below, so I spoilered it just in case. I assume that 99% of you know what's up, I just hate to ruin things for the 1%. Mouse over and enjoy!

I think it just shows that you need to be a combination of smart and charismatic to win the Genius. Sangmin is undoubtedly the sneakiest guy in either season, but people didn't generally rise up against him, even if he betrayed them, because he was charismatic. Throw on top of that him being able to crack the secret on a game to win it here and there and he had it pretty made. Jinho was always working on building alliances and quickly got a reputation as someone you wanted to be on a team on, while also winning games on his own when he had to like in the awesome S1 Episode 5, but because he wasn't as charismatic he had people gunning for him a bit more. In both seasons there were very charming people and very smart people, but when you weren't both you got hosed (Hweejong being the ur-example)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So I started watching the series a little bit ago, and I just got to the Zombie Game. It's a lot of fun, but it gets super intense too. I love it.

It's weird hearing all of these songs I know, though. Hearing music from Dexter was pretty cool, since the soundtrack was the best part about that show for most of its length, but it added a really weird quality to a melancholy scene, like someone was about to die.

Edit: Almost done with Open, Pass now. I can't believe how many people figured out the card backs and still made decks with inherent randomness. And then Jinho figured out that the patterns are different too? That was a great game.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 24, 2014

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

New vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMRfBFKHaxA

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
"I saw everyone's specs and fortunately no one seemed like they'd be really good. :smug:"

lol I'll be really surprised if this guy doesn't get eliminated early.

The chinese doctor is my favorite because he's so odd compared to the other participants. also because I used to have the same haircut

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You're objectively wrong if you're not supporting the insanely smug guy from Season 2

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hat Thoughts posted:

You're objectively wrong if you're not supporting the insanely smug guy from Season 2

Its hilarious just how nervous and preemptively embarrassed for how he might lose again. I am glad he lost in season 2, because he was kinda acting like an rear end in a top hat then, but he really has won me back over.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah he seems really chill this time round.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wanna root for Hweejong because he seems genuine about redeeming himself and his actions from last time, but I got a gut feeling he's gonna just get knocked out in the 3rd or 4th round for being the returning player. Far enough not to be mean, early enough that the rest of the cast still basically decides the death matches.

The doctor is my darkhorse candidate this time. I like how much everything about him sticks out, and yet I bet he'll get overlooked quite a bit when it comes to eliminations. Could prove to bite the others in the rear end if he turns out to be good.

I... also might have had that haircut once.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
An introduction to the Black Garnet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k2Pw5hs_LM

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So, the prize pool at the end might be like $10?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh ho ho, that's pretty interesting. The black garnet's pretty much the opposite of our theory that it can be used for sabotage then. I'm curious what it gives the person holding it, since gaining the garnets of the person you eliminate was already a nice reward for surviving a death match.

I have to assume it has a monetary value, since the overall garnet count is going to be much lower with the new ruleset in place.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I guess this'll change the nature of the game quite a lot, there'll be no hot targets to send to the death match like before. Imagine sending some strong participant like Jinho to the death match and if he survives he's awarded some significant advantage. It'll make the problem worse!

Hat Thoughts posted:

He's my second favorite, of course. I was kinda thinking that he'd be one of the hot targets early on in the show and thus had not a great chance of lucking out of so many death matches but now I really don't know... :suspense:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
So a question if anybody here knows, but is being a Dealer a way more prestigious/complicated job in Korea then other places?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Whilst I was stumbling around online I discovered that Idiotape has recently released a new album, entitled Tours. This is only tangentially related to The Genius, but I recall people asking about some of the music used in the show and others mentioned they enjoyed this music. I thought it'd be worth a mention.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Oh ho ho, that's pretty interesting. The black garnet's pretty much the opposite of our theory that it can be used for sabotage then. I'm curious what it gives the person holding it, since gaining the garnets of the person you eliminate was already a nice reward for surviving a death match.

I have to assume it has a monetary value, since the overall garnet count is going to be much lower with the new ruleset in place.

Honestly, I'm not sure how beneficial garnets are have previously been beyond five or six. Their only real benefit lies in being able to purchase benefits mid-game - as the winner, you'd obviously possess all the garnets in circulation, so it doesn't really matter who has them before then.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, a high garnet count not really being useful is probably why they made this change. Black Garnets have to be useful as hell, I'm just wondering in what way. Grabbing opponent garnets was still useful in my opinion though, since there were quite a few times when someone went from a uselessly low garnet count to being able to buy advantages in games, if they want to, after winning a death match.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, so apparently, what happens is that if an elimination candidate has 3 black garnets, they can do a "black mission" to choose someone else to play the deathmatch. Were there a lot of people in the first two seasons who got sent to the deathmatch 4 times?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how beneficial garnets are have previously been beyond five or six. Their only real benefit lies in being able to purchase benefits mid-game - as the winner, you'd obviously possess all the garnets in circulation, so it doesn't really matter who has them before then.

The late games seem designed to be taken advantage of by players with 10 garnets or more.

Argue posted:

Okay, so apparently, what happens is that if an elimination candidate has 3 black garnets, they can do a "black mission" to choose someone else to play the deathmatch. Were there a lot of people in the first two seasons who got sent to the deathmatch 4 times?

I don't think so, but remember that garnets are currency. They can be traded. And it's possible that they could be earned during games by betraying your team.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zythrst posted:

So a question if anybody here knows, but is being a Dealer a way more prestigious/complicated job in Korea then other places?

I went to Kangwon Land and it was a sea of Chinese tourists zombied out on the slots with all the other regular games being played as well. Foreigners got free admitance while Koreans had to pay entry. So probably just familiarity with the games and tactics and ability to deal with irate tourists?

The Main Attraction

중국사람들

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 25, 2014

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think so, but remember that garnets are currency. They can be traded. And it's possible that they could be earned during games by betraying your team.

Yeah, the real value from the black garnets will come from trades. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

In fairness, from the outside looking in, being a dealer (especially a poker dealer) is really goddamn complicated.

Still trying to figure out how these people are able deal with the clusterfuck that is Low Limit Omaha H/L between figuring out which 7 players won and how to split the pot 7 ways. My head would explode.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another nice rule change from last season from Bumdidlyump's twitter:

quote:

Players who do anything resembling violence or theft will come in last place.

I'm not sure there was any violence, but this should help prevent anyone from pulling what Jiwon pulled.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If someone leaves a garnet lying on a table, and you pick it up, that definitely resembles theft. I guess that's not allowed anymore then.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Food Chain was cutting it close with the tackling to put stickers on, so I imagine they won't do anything physical again.

I'm glad that theft isn't allowed anymore. As hilarious as it was in the first episode of season 1, after season 2 I don't blame them for putting it in.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fast Luck posted:

If someone leaves a garnet lying on a table, and you pick it up, that definitely resembles theft. I guess that's not allowed anymore then.
As long as there's a catchall "...unless it's awesome" clause then there's really no problem.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think it shouldn't count against anyone (except the person who loses them) if someone's careless with their garnets and just leaves them on a table. If this were any other show, I'd say it was an extra unnecessary thing to keep track of for contestants but on this show, you're not a genius if you just literally leave the whole game sitting around where anyone can take it.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But how often have people forgotten their garnets? The only time I can think of was Jinho in the first episode (and we all saw how that went), and then game wise Jiwon and Yooyoung in the second season.

I think after seeing two seasons of this show contestants are going to be a lot more careful with their materials for the game, so I don't really think we're going to miss out on any cool Moby plays like Sangnim pulled with the new rule change. This just helps enforce some sportsmanlike behavior after last season.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

NeuroticLich posted:

Another nice rule change from last season from Bumdidlyump's twitter:

I'm not sure there was any violence, but this should help prevent anyone from pulling what Jiwon pulled.

These rules were actually mentioned in the very first episode in season 1. Sure, Sangmin broke one rule before the first episode was over, but that was at least a little funny. Jiwon & co were just bullies.

It's unfortunate they now have to specify a consequence, but that's probably due to their lack of action last season.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

This new rule is good because it shows they care about feedback, which is one thing i've always appreciated from Korean game shows.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think they could have worded it as no withholding items that would prevent people from participating in the match, but I suppose this works too.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Danoss posted:

These rules were actually mentioned in the very first episode in season 1. Sure, Sangmin broke one rule before the first episode was over, but that was at least a little funny. Jiwon & co were just bullies.

It's unfortunate they now have to specify a consequence, but that's probably due to their lack of action last season.

Sangmin asked permission in the deleted scene. That was fine.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I can't believe people are still crying about Doohee getting screwed over by Jiwon and Yooyoung. I thought it was hilarious.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Asiina posted:

Food Chain was cutting it close with the tackling to put stickers on, so I imagine they won't do anything physical again.

I'm glad that theft isn't allowed anymore. As hilarious as it was in the first episode of season 1, after season 2 I don't blame them for putting it in.

It was also funny when Hongchul did it to execute that overly complicated misdirection by taking a picture of Mr Magoo's hint card.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

sharktamer posted:

I can't believe people are still crying about Doohee getting screwed over by Jiwon and Yooyoung. I thought it was hilarious.
Re-edit the episode to have BWEHHH when they steal the card and the badookiedook Junghyun music when he's on the ground and every problem is solved.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's a situation that on any other show absolutely would not have been allowed to happen in the first place or tolerated if they found out.

Having an out of game alliance and people promising things outside of air time. Preventing people from participating in a challenge through theft of the materials they need to compete.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NeuroticLich posted:

This just helps enforce some sportsmanlike behavior after last season.

Yep, though I hope they suspend it for a game designed to emphasize sneakiness. Watching the paranoia kick in when they're all told that they're now allowed to steal will be terrific.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Random Stranger posted:

Yep, though I hope they suspend it for a game designed to emphasize sneakiness. Watching the paranoia kick in when they're all told that they're now allowed to steal will be terrific.

This would be the best way to have it both ways. Any game where stealing would be an advantage without screwing the other player over entirely (like the Hongchul-Junghyun hint card example) could be given an obvious and stated exception. I dunno how many games would really fall under that so you might not see it happen this season anyway, but it would be a good twist for an episode.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

sharktamer posted:

It was funny but the joke totally outstayed its welcome and then stayed a bit longer and kinda ruined the game and completely hosed one player out of the game on that move alone.

I was laughing at first, but then it just became sad. The flipside of that though is that why would they make the ID a physical item to be carried if that wasn't at least part of the intention? I mean I guess they just didn't account for it and I'm kinda all for a rule against stealing items preventing people from even participating in the game because that's kinda lovely.

even so I ended up feeling really bad for Doohee by the end of it, poor guy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The reason for the ID was so that let's say I know you have the last card I need and word has gotten back to you that I was looking for it. You would be unwise to trade it to me. That said, if I give my card to someone you don't expect me to have an alliance with, they could trade something you needed from my hand for the thing I needed. You would think you were making a good play but in reality someone I'm allies with just helped me to win so we could both be safe.

They didn't mean for IDs to be stolen as much as they meant for them to be sneakily traded.