Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 4s to a 6+ and of course I forgot that the SIM card is different. So now I get to cut out during lunch tomorrow to try and find an AT&T store without a line out the door just to get a replacement SIM. Oh well.

I was worried that this would be too big, but after going through the set up and using it for couple of hours I really like the size. No bending so far, but I've not had it fully inserted in my colon yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A buddy of mine got the 6+ on launch day, decided it was too big for him and put it on eBay so he could use the money to buy a regular 6.

Last I heard, someone offered him $1,200 for it :lol:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A buddy of mine got the 6+ on launch day, decided it was too big for him and put it on eBay so he could use the money to buy a regular 6.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The 6+ is comically large and anyone "lucky" enough to have gotten one already should just sell it for pure profit and get a 6. You won't regret it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm always afraid to selling something like this on Ebay because the buyer can just be a total dick.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm always afraid to selling something like this on Ebay because the buyer can just be a total dick.

I believe "LOLOLOL sold for $XXXX" stories when I see certified records of the transaction. Too much fraud going on. Besides, this only an offer, and hearsay at that.

Anyone "intelligent" enough to take that story at face value should buy a bridge. On eBay. You won't regret it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

flavor posted:

I believe "LOLOLOL sold for $XXXX" stories when I see certified records of the transaction. Too much fraud going on. Besides, this only an offer, and hearsay at that.

Anyone "intelligent" enough to take that story at face value should buy a bridge. On eBay. You won't regret it.
I assure you that if you sold your iPhone 6 Plus you'd get enough money to be able to buy an iPhone 6 off contract and about 300 99¢ apps.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you don't believe it then go to eBay right now and search for iPhone 6 Plus and see for yourself how much they're selling for. It's real and it's ridiculous.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

If you don't believe it then go to eBay right now and search for iPhone 6 Plus and see for yourself how much they're selling for. It's real and it's ridiculous.

Or just F5 on Swappa and get one for what ~retail + tax would be anyhow. 24 hrs after the launch, a 6+ (128gig ~~gold~~) went for $1,095. That would be about the same as buying outright after tax, etc. Of course you may have to angrily shake down the seller to change the price (in the comments, $1,045 WILL BUY INSTANTLY ONLY FOR THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES UP TO YOU). It's aggravating if you are selling, but works more often than you think as a buyer.

eBay buyers have some screws loose. They pay WAY too much. Only thing I can figure is iron-clad "we literally always side with the buyer" protection and eBay bucks? Not sure.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

But an eBay buyer just has to say they got hosed by the seller and eBay will refund their money I believe.

So be careful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah it can be a problem, but I've sold a few iPhones on eBay with no problems. I even sold one to a Ukrainian dude which sent up huge flags for me, but his ratings were good and it turned out perfectly!

hotsauce posted:

Or just F5 on Swappa and get one for what ~retail + tax would be anyhow. 24 hrs after the launch, a 6+ (128gig ~~gold~~) went for $1,095. That would be about the same as buying outright after tax, etc.

eBay buyers have some screws loose. They pay WAY too much. Only thing I can figure is iron-clad "we literally always side with the buyer" protection and eBay bucks? Not sure.

I think it's often people in regions where Swappa doesn't ship and the iPhone isn't available yet.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

flavor posted:

I'm not from the states, and the 6+ (especially gold) were in hot demand for the resellers to China. On the release day, I sold my 6+ gold 128g for about $1800usd. The average selling price that day for the same model was around $1600-1700 and the highest I heard someone got was $2150.

The price has since gone down since more people are getting their phones and it seems everyone and their mom bought a phone with the intend to flip and the resellers aren't buying certain models anymore.

Though there's someone selling them on a groupon like site for about $400-500usd more then the rrp and people are actually buying it, which is ridiculous, since there are now a whole bunch of attempted flippers desperate to offload their phones and would happily sell theirs off at less then half that profit.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Tim should send us all stickers or something to compensate us.

Not just stickers, but the black apple stickers that come with the new Mac Pros.

I bought both the 6 and 6+ (was going to give the 6 to my wife, but she likes my old 5S and says the 6 is too big), and while I prefer the 6+ and had just planned to use the 6 when I'm working out or doing yard work and whatnot, those eBay prices have me intrigued.

e: as far as the bending issue, I've owned every iPhone, and all of them from the 4 on have had a slight bend to them after a few months. When the specs of the 6/6+ were released, I remember saying to my coworkers that the plus was likely to fold like a piece of paper. So far, I haven't had any issue with it, but its not like it shouldn't have been expected to some degree.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2014

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So were there ever any release notes for 8.0.1 besides breaking TouchID and cell service? This slow wi-fi thing is driving me nuts.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

prom candy posted:

So were there ever any release notes for 8.0.1 besides breaking TouchID and cell service? This slow wi-fi thing is driving me nuts.

IIRC, it was supposed to fix HealthKit and some wifi issues.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
i'm a huge apple whore but totally am worried they're losing it.

- the reveal stream was a total gently caress up
- the iphone 6 is too big. the plus is just bizarre. i literally do not want to upgrade my phone even though i can afford it. Reachability is hilarious, shows they are shoving square peg into a round hole.
- nobody wanted a loving U2 album, it was like two old dudes trying to force 'cool' on us
- the watch has potential feels like they are starting to enjoy the smell of their own farts too much. if they throw a $10k price tag on the gold one they have jumped the shark.

also I work in VR and Apple is probably going to fight VR tooth and nail because having a computer on your face probably goes against their design sensibilities. the problem is VR is going to be insanely awesome soon. samsung is about to smoke them with Gear VR.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Hahahahaha, I dunno man, I was right there with you, I'm against the bigphone thing although it's certainly the market trend. But then you throw in that bit about the VR at the end. No, uh, if Apple was producing poo poo like the Gear VR, that would be another big loving red flag that they're heading down the wrong path, just like the dumb Apple Watch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Everyone always has this perpetual nostalgia where Apple made perfect products that pleased everyone. There have always been bumps along the way and no company is perfect. No one is going to remember this botched update in a few weeks.

If you don't like big phones you're a member of a shrinking minority, so I wouldn't say Apple is wrong on this one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

empty baggie posted:

e: as far as the bending issue, I've owned every iPhone, and all of them from the 4 on have had a slight bend to them after a few months. When the specs of the 6/6+ were released, I remember saying to my coworkers that the plus was likely to fold like a piece of paper. So far, I haven't had any issue with it, but its not like it shouldn't have been expected to some degree.

Yes phones literally bending from being put in a pocket is something someone should expect.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The 6 plus is awesome and I've never felt the need to use reachability, even on a smoke break.

And Apples keynote streams have always had issues, though maybe not as bad as this latest one. I'm sure it's one of the main reasons why they have been spotty on even having live streams over the past few years. It's just too difficult knowing how many people are going to tune in. I know I sound like an apologist, but it seems logical to me (though the Chinese translation during the keynote was pretty weird).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The iWatch is the stupidest looking thing ever and if I owned one I could probably think of two actual uses for it. (Maps and reading messages). But I said the same thing about touch screen phones and plenty of other things and here we are. I think the iWatch is a natural thing to come from Apple, but like many first gen products its gonna be wonky.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

prom candy posted:

Everyone always has this perpetual nostalgia where Apple made perfect products that pleased everyone. There have always been bumps along the way and no company is perfect.

It's seriously been going on forever.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I've always had small phones and thought big phones were dumb and got a 6+ and I love it so there

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yes phones literally bending from being put in a pocket is something someone should expect.

Not necessarily, but again, the past 4 iPhones I've owned have gotten a curve, and my pants aren't skinny or even slim; just normal slacks and straight leg jeans. Even so, for something that big and that thin and made from that material, it honestly shouldn't be a surprise, though not to the degree of some of the examples being shown.

Avocados posted:

The iWatch is the stupidest looking thing ever and if I owned one I could probably think of two actual uses for it. (Maps and reading messages). But I said the same thing about touch screen phones and plenty of other things and here we are. I think the iWatch is a natural thing to come from Apple, but like many first gen products its gonna be wonky.

I think it's pretty nice looking, though I wear a metawatch as my daily driver and it's pretty ugly. Still, I have a small collection of pretty nice watches, but if the apple watch is as nice looking in person as it is in the promo pics, it may replace even my most formal watches for most situations (though I've been burned too many times by being an Apple early adopter so I may sit the first year out).

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I've always had small phones and thought big phones were dumb and got a 6+ and I love it so there

Yep.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 25, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My big draw to the iPhone 6+ is the camera and battery life. Is there really that big of a difference? The camera is the biggest selling point to me. I like the idea of a 5.5" screen, but everybody is so butt hurt about how big it is, it's making me think.

That, and iPhone 6's are way easier to find..

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You literally cannot bend a phone crosswise by putting it in your front pocket. Everyone who said it happened to their phone that way is a liar.

You can, however, do it by putting the phone in your back pocket and sitting on it. Which makes you the idiot.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

89 posted:

My big draw to the iPhone 6+ is the camera and battery life. Is there really that big of a difference? The camera is the biggest selling point to me. I like the idea of a 5.5" screen, but everybody is so butt hurt about how big it is, it's making me think.

Just go to a store and check it out. That's really all you can do.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

nebby posted:

- the iphone 6 is too big. the plus is just bizarre. i literally do not want to upgrade my phone even though i can afford it. Reachability is hilarious, shows they are shoving square peg into a round hole.
- nobody wanted a loving U2 album, it was like two old dudes trying to force 'cool' on us
- the watch has potential feels like they are starting to enjoy the smell of their own farts too much. if they throw a $10k price tag on the gold one they have jumped the shark.

also I work in VR and Apple is probably going to fight VR tooth and nail because having a computer on your face probably goes against their design sensibilities. the problem is VR is going to be insanely awesome soon. samsung is about to smoke them with Gear VR.

lol

extra lol at the bolded

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I got this case from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH831DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because it adds very little weight to the phone and it is good enough to prevent all of the scratches that my naked 5 received during normal use.. but it is pretty slick. Does anyone have an example in the same price range that adds just a little grip to the phone so I am not holding a huge slippery brick?

edit: I got the crystal clear one, not sure if any of the others are as slick

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nebby posted:

drat you're right.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

89 posted:

Pulled my 6 Plus off the charger at 9:30AM; a check at the usage stats shows 8:40 of usage (about two hours of that was screen off streaming music through Google Play; the rest was SA, RSS reading, and about an hour of Temple Run). I still have 34% battery left now at 1:23AM.

So yeah, the battery is that good.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Pulled my 6 Plus off the charger at 9:30AM; a check at the usage stats shows 8:40 of usage (about two hours of that was screen off streaming music through Google Play; the rest was SA, RSS reading, and about an hour of Temple Run). I still have 34% battery left now at 1:23AM.

So yeah, the battery is that good.
Excuse me, but please embrace the Android-ification of iOS and post battery usage tables. iOS 8 has given us the ability, nay the responsibility, of such an act.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

loudog999 posted:

I got this case from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH831DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because it adds very little weight to the phone and it is good enough to prevent all of the scratches that my naked 5 received during normal use.. but it is pretty slick. Does anyone have an example in the same price range that adds just a little grip to the phone so I am not holding a huge slippery brick?

edit: I got the crystal clear one, not sure if any of the others are as slick

I bought three clear cases since my household has numerous iPhones. I got this Naked Tough Case from Casemate, the Spigen you linked and this Maxboost crystal clear case. The Spigen and Casemate feel similar, while the Maxboost case has square edges (totally at odds with the smooth round design of the iPhone 6). I prefer the Casemate because it provides more protection to the bottom of the phone and seems much more durable and shock resistant (and looks nicer). It's important to note that Amazon links the 5s reviews of the same style of case with new reviews for the 6, so don't think that the reviews are all positive for the iPhone 6 variant.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 25, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

You literally cannot bend a phone crosswise by putting it in your front pocket. Everyone who said it happened to their phone that way is a liar.

You can, however, do it by putting the phone in your back pocket and sitting on it. Which makes you the idiot.

Jokes on you, I literally bent my 5 by carrying it in my loose front pocket, in a case, over the past year. Apparently the 6s bend much easier because the metal is much thinner. So eat crow.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Jokes on you, I literally bent my 5 by carrying it in my loose front pocket, in a case over the past year. Apparently the 6s bend much easier because the metal is much thinner. So eat crow.
You opened a car door into it or leaned over a counter with it. There's absolutely no way a phone can bend simply from the stress of "being in a pocket".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nope, it's bent toward the curvature of my sitting leg, ever so slightly, not the kind of thing that would happen from a big impact. It surprised me earlier too when I took it out of the case and saw it. Here's a pic, not the best because I'm literally pooping and took it with my ipad, but you get the idea;

It's bad enough that putting it on a flat surface and pushing down on a corner raises the opposite corners off the table.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 25, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dont buy the iphone 6 plus for the battery or the camera. The 6 takes awesome pictures that dont look shaky and you will end the day with plenty of battery left over.

Only buy the 6 plus for the screen, specifically if you feel the 6 is not big enough.

God drat is the 6 a nice size for everything. Imo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

empty baggie posted:

IIRC, it was supposed to fix HealthKit and some wifi issues.

Making phone calls is unhealthy for you, it probably gives you brain tumors, so Apple's doing you a favor

nebby posted:

I'm not an apple ho but I've been using their products since 2010 and loving it. I agree, it looks like they've hosed up way more than I saw around 2012-2013. Seems to me they focused too much on their stupid watch and well who the gently caress knows what phone users want anymore? Make it bigger was the low hanging fruit left for Apple.

I don't know about the VR, there's a bunch of rumors and news for Apple patenting 3D stuff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty sure you can, or at least, when my phone (4s, not bent) is in my front pocket there's definitely some pressure on the top of the phone near the top of the pocket. Like when you're sitting and leaning forward a bit. Pulling it in and out def has some bend potential since I can't pull it straight out, and have to do it at an angle, especially if sitting.

But I haven't bent up my 4s by sitting on it and jamming it in my tight front pockets so who knows

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pretty sure you can, or at least, when my phone (4s, not bent) is in my front pocket there's definitely some pressure on the top of the phone near the top of the pocket. Like when you're sitting and leaning forward a bit. Pulling it in and out def has some bend potential since I can't pull it straight out, and have to do it at an angle, especially if sitting.

But I haven't bent up my 4s by sitting on it and jamming it in my tight front pockets so who knows
Pulling it in a out won't put enough stress on it to bend. Having it near the top of your pocket and leaning forward for an extended period can, but then you should feel it and not be a neanderthal who keeps stressing it while it jabs into your hip, and why is your phone peeking out of your pocket anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Excuse me, but please embrace the Android-ification of iOS and post battery usage tables. iOS 8 has given us the ability, nay the responsibility, of such an act.

I know you're probably kidding, but:

It shows that it's charged since the last full charge because I plugged it in just before I took the screenshot.

Also, not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind it Apple added some Android style usage graphs and such to the page. 8.1 maybe?

[Edit because goddamn the 6 Plus' resolution is stupid high]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 25, 2014