Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Higgins is the best. Here is a thing he did on 30 Rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cStRdYg3Wk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzqGOelmsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Conan is having way too much fun.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brock Samson posted:

Conan is having way too much fun.
I was about to come in here and post about how amazing that was.

For anyone who didn't see it, it was a bit with Jordan Schlansky and a relationship therapist. Jordan got engaged (to a woman) and Conan asks how they met and does a role playing session with Jordan in which he pretends to be both Jordan and his fiancee Emma. I could not stop laughing through that whole thing.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Schlansky owns.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Did the Tonight Show air a in-show ad last night? That was a bit weird.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2021

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jesto posted:

Craig openly loathes celebrity culture and celebrity worship, and yet he wants to host a show called Celebrity Name Game starring all the D-list celebrities he's openly mocked before.

What's going on with him, I wonder?

I think his opinions on celebrity might be a little more complicated than that. I mean, he's been bullshitting with them for quite some time now.

He seems to be legitimately enthusiastic about it and he's already getting pretty paid from the whole contract termination thing. It just seems like he really wanted to do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think maybe he just really wanted to do a game show and this was the idea that they ran with.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Schlansky owns.

gently caress, I thought he was on Tuesday's show. Disappointed.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jesto posted:

Craig openly loathes celebrity culture and celebrity worship, and yet he wants to host a show called Celebrity Name Game starring all the D-list celebrities he's openly mocked before.

What's going on with him, I wonder?

He gets to earn an Executive Producer credit, work a couple of days a month, improv through the show, and give people money. It's a simpler but solid version of Pyramid so you're doing it a disservice if you mock the show because it has the name "Celebrity" in the title.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Craig's new show looks about as good as Jane Lynch's Celebrity Game Night, which was pretty bad. The only good celebrity game show was Match Game. The format of Pyramid and Password never really appealed to me though.

Is Craig still planning on doing a half hour talk show on UPN or whatever that weird channel was?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

wa27 posted:

Craig's new show looks about as good as Jane Lynch's Celebrity Game Night, which was pretty bad.

I've watched two episodes now, it's actually pretty fun. Craig gets a lot of time to be himself. (One round has him describing the celebrities/characters).

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

wa27 posted:

Is Craig still planning on doing a half hour talk show on UPN or whatever that weird channel was?

Yeah. The game show has been around for a long time and we're just now seeing it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

Tribune owned stations (KTLA/WGN/WPIX among many more) are seriously considering a half hour talk show for Craig to bookend the last half of the hour Celebrity Name Game leaves open. Nothing has been inked yet though.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

wa27 posted:

Craig's new show looks about as good as Jane Lynch's Celebrity Game Night, which was pretty bad. The only good celebrity game show was Match Game. The format of Pyramid and Password never really appealed to me though.

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I've caught a few episodes of this the last few nights and I'm pretty much just seeing a run of the mill game show here. Certainly nothing bad or without merit, but nothing to really jump up and down about either.

In my opinion, the Late Late Show was the smartest of the late night shows. My guess is maybe he just wanted to do something a little less cranial?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

In my opinion, the Late Late Show was the smartest of the late night shows. My guess is maybe he just wanted to do something a little less cranial?

Less cranial than swapping dick jokes with a robot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Less cranial than swapping dick jokes with a robot?

To be fair, it's hard for Geoff not to be cranial.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I've caught a few episodes of this the last few nights and I'm pretty much just seeing a run of the mill game show here. Certainly nothing bad or without merit, but nothing to really jump up and down about either.

Craig says he wants to deconstruct the game show genre as well. He even said he wanted it to be an improvised comedy show that is also a game show.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/craig-ferguson-wants-game-game-732043

THR Article posted:

This new show, he added, has “enough breathing room and enough room for me to experiment and grow inside of it. That’s why I’m doing this one.”

Ferguson said if he is successful, what will make this show stand apart from others is when it becomes “a comedy show in which a game is played and money is won.”

It will be successful in his mind, said Ferguson, “when it feels like an improvised comedy show.”

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

I like the sound of what he's aiming for, in the context of that article. Based on the episodes I've seen so far, I would say it's going to take some time to get there, but I hope he achieves it. I think it's funny that he mentions "improvised comedy show" because as I was watching the game show I was thinking, man, he would kill at a format similar to something like Whose Line...

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 25, 2014

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He seems to be legitimately enthusiastic about it and he's already getting pretty paid from the whole contract termination thing. It just seems like he really wanted to do it.
It seems like a good gig for him. They're banking shows in marathon runs (125+ eps taped since early August) which means he'll have lots of free time to work on other projects while they burn off what's in the can, and the parts of the game where he plays with the contestants should help keep him interested. We were in the live audience for a few episodes this past Sunday and he still seemed to have his head in the game (so to speak) after 60+ hours of taping—at least, it feels a lot more like "Craig being Craig" than that weird "what the hell am I doing here" vibe that his April Fool's spot on The Price Is Right had.

It's not a bad show, the pace is pretty snappy and they seem to be intentionally casting contestants who can play the game properly—it doesn't lend itself to "stupid but entertaining" players the way, say, Family Feud does. (Well, except for maybe the celebrity contestants...HOLY poo poo THERE ARE SOME STUPID CELEBRITIES ON THIS SHOW)

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
If anyone here currently has tickets to Craig's last show on December 19th, check your email. 1iota says it will now be taped on the 18th @ 3:30 and you will need to reprint your ticket if you already have it printed. Because of this, the taping for the Thursday show has also moved up to 2:00pm on the 18th.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Do you have last show tix, Chand0X?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Chand0X posted:

If anyone here currently has tickets to Craig's last show on December 19th, check your email. 1iota says it will now be taped on the 18th @ 3:30 and you will need to reprint your ticket if you already have it printed. Because of this, the taping for the Thursday show has also moved up to 2:00pm on the 18th.

This sucks. I had a plan to go to both of the final shows.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Do you have last show tix, Chand0X?

I do with the hope I will be able to go.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

E: Hannibal Buress

The funniest apathy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chand0X posted:

Ferguson said if he is successful, what will make this show stand apart from others is when it becomes “a comedy show in which a game is played and money is won.”

It will be successful in his mind, said Ferguson, “when it feels like an improvised comedy show.”

Just fill it with standup comedians to go with celebrities and give us the British Panel Game Show genre.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chand0X posted:

Craig says he wants to deconstruct the game show genre as well. He even said he wanted it to be an improvised comedy show that is also a game show.

I got one minute in and shut it off. I'll try again in a few weeks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When Conan has a cold, every time he talks on the show he just sounds really loving depressed :smith:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Just fill it with standup comedians to go with celebrities and give us the British Panel Game Show genre.

Comedy Channel has tried this several times and mostly failed, most recently with @midnight (which I'm actually OK with, outside of the host).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

Comedy Channel has tried this several times and mostly failed, most recently with @midnight (which I'm actually OK with, outside of the host).

@midnight is actually doing good, though, isn't it? I think it's the first one that actually managed to make the format work in the US.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why has that format never been able to take off in the US? Is it the competition thing? Most panel shows are framed as a parlour game of some kind, but most of us in the UK know that's just an excuse for banter and gags, but with how hard Whose Line has to have Drew/Aisha stress "AND THE POINTS DON'T MATTER!", I wonder if US audiences just don't get that part?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
we bloody get it, we got it and did it 50 years ago and may they never return to these august shores :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look man, America is a nation of winners. If you don't have a real winner then what do you have? Just a bunch of losers. Like England.

If you ain't first, you're last.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

When Conan has a cold, every time he talks on the show he just sounds really loving depressed :smith:

He just brings the entire show down when he has a cold. It's not intentionally it just happens.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cerepol posted:

He just brings the entire show down when he has a cold. It's not intentionally it just happens.
Yeah like he didn't seem to laugh/do any impressions/etc. It was a pretty monotone show from him overall and I didn't like it. It's like his entire personality changed just because he was a little sick.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Oh jeez, Conan got Larry King to do lovely standup about how old he was

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't get why people would watch Conan unironically.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ufarn posted:

Mostly people who grew up watching him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wa27 posted:

Mostly people who grew up watching him.
Time to take that mutt behind the woodshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ufarn posted:

Because he still sometimes does stuff that is very funny? It's no apple-picking with Mr. T, but what is?

I do kind of wish they'd shake up his format a bit, though, I mostly just watch his online stuff now.