Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tried to read that it's a disorganised mess.

Can someone post a summary. What are the rewards for defending and the rewards for attacking, aside from a planet on the map changing colour? What's present to encourage people to continue fighting if it currently looks like the other side is winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Bidding for planets removed.

Tax on team play in the form of sucking c-bills out of your coffers for attacking or defending a planet. That's all your unit coffers are going to be for.

No Merc/Lone Wolf/Star system uh, at this time.

Sounds great.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So how do I join WoL?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

So how do I join WoL?

You bitch at Texas Merc until he is sober enough to send you an invite.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

CW will use the long-planned Dropship mode. You will bring one mech of each weight category to battle. It does not clarify if your team is limited to any particular distribution on the ground at any given time, so it will be interesting to see if you're allowed to drop with 10 assaults and some scouts for your initial group.

Battles will consist of IS v IS and Clan v Clan border disputes and Clan v IS invasions. Players will be exclusively locked to the appropriate types of mechs, so have fun getting walked over by Timber Wolfs in the invasion corridor. Invasion matches will be open to players from all clans and houses.

Well it is canon for the IS to get poo poo on by Timber Wolves for about 9 solid years.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Playing last night for the first time in a year was actually pretty fun and the dual ac20 Jager is still my favorite headshot machine

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Voyager I posted:

CW will use the long-planned Dropship mode. You will bring one mech of each weight category to battle. It does not clarify if your team is limited to any particular distribution on the ground at any given time, so it will be interesting to see if you're allowed to drop with 10 assaults and some scouts for your initial group.

Battles will consist of IS v IS and Clan v Clan border disputes and Clan v IS invasions. Players will be exclusively locked to the appropriate types of mechs, so have fun getting walked over by Timber Wolfs in the invasion corridor. Invasion matches will be open to players from all clans and houses.

WoL's commitment to House Liao (way out of the invasion corridor) is looking savvier by the day.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Evade Clans, harrass other IS factions all day. Sounds great. Now I'm only missing the most iconic Liao Mech and I'm ready for CW (if it actually gets deployed this time).

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I wonder when they'll release CW, if they are as slow as they've been then I'm guessing about year 2020 :v:

quote:

Here is a referral to Heavy Gear if anyone wants to help me get some keys: http://heavygear.com/register?ref=de54d3d3

Even if you don't care about this game maybe you could register to help me get some keys for goons that want to?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Voyager I posted:

So how do I join WoL?

You don't. You just join Team Barbie You don't since we're never online.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Koorisch posted:

I wonder when they'll release CW, if they are as slow as they've been then I'm guessing about year 2020 :v:

Actually I'm expecting CW will come out a "reasonable" (for PGI) pace. Thanks to the fact the Transverse funding is crashing and burning harder than the Hindenburg, they need CW to help draw in the money Tverse was supposed to make them.

Unfortunately, given how much the details have already changed, it looks like they didn't have CW nearly as well planned out as that "Design Document" posted as damage control a couple weeks back would want us to believe.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I'm expecting CW will come out a "reasonable" (for PGI) pace. Thanks to the fact the Transverse funding is crashing and burning harder than the Hindenburg, they need CW to help draw in the money Tverse was supposed to make them.

Unfortunately, given how much the details have already changed, it looks like they didn't have CW nearly as well planned out as that "Design Document" posted as damage control a couple weeks back would want us to believe.

It seems like they lost the napkin CW was "designed" upon. It looks like a big mess, with no tangible benefits for winning, save some extra c-bills. I don't think it's really going to draw a ton of people in, at least not long term. We'll see.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Koorisch posted:

They gave a 'deadline' of December 21st, which is going to slip, because holy hell that's a first cut at a design document. They really haven't done anything with it.

quote:

First off, planets will transition ownership every 24-hours.

I'm missing what owning a planet actually gives you, but that system they've come up with is incredibly convoluted.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Drewjitsu posted:

It seems like they lost the napkin CW was "designed" upon. It looks like a big mess, with no tangible benefits for winning, save some extra c-bills. I don't think it's really going to draw a ton of people in, at least not long term. We'll see.

They could literally scrap CW and just add a 5mil c-bill bonus to winning a match since that's the only "benefit" I got from that long rear end writeup.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Hav posted:

They gave a 'deadline' of December 21st, which is going to slip, because holy hell that's a first cut at a design document. They really haven't done anything with it.

I'm missing what owning a planet actually gives you, but that system they've come up with is incredibly convoluted.

They are trying to be slick. Notice how they titled it Phase 2 and are now saying a whole lot of features either aren't making it in at all or will be out in "another phase"

They are dividing this up into phases now so they can still meet a deadline and release a barebones CW and say "See, we did a good."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The cost per drop will be scalar based on the number of members in your Unit. This is to avoid smaller units being punished while large units don't notice the cost at all. This is not unlike moving the Swedish army costs compared to the US army costs.

It's not clearly stated but it wouldn't surprised me if it costs more to move 100 mechs than 10 units of 10 mechs each. Not that it matter as I expect all this is two years away at best.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

They are trying to be slick. Notice how they titled it Phase 2 and are now saying a whole lot of features either aren't making it in at all or will be out in "another phase"

They are dividing this up into phases now so they can still meet a deadline and release a barebones CW and say "See, we did a good."

I'd still be happy to get a barebone CW around December, cause that would be more than they accomplished in the last years.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Drewjitsu posted:

Their current design doc does remind me a bit of the "presentation" at the launch event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpwbt47M6Yw

Note the cheers :D. The video is from 2013.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Feindfeuer posted:

Evade Clans, harrass other IS factions all day. Sounds great. Now I'm only missing the most iconic Liao Mech and I'm ready for CW (if it actually gets deployed this time).

Which one is that? The Raven and Vindicator are already in-game...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

Which one is that? The Raven and Vindicator are already in-game...

It's an urbanmech joke.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guess the effort involved in editing the XML for converted clan gear is too much for CW. I'll laugh if the cost to assault a planet is as much as its reward.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

quote:

This is still on the drawingboard. It is something we'd very much like to see in the game but it will become an issue finding where we can fit it into the schedule. There is also the point that planets will be flipping every 24-hours. Not sure how players would feel if they upgraded a planet and lost it the next day.

This was an answer to upgrading planet defense question. The issue I'm wondering about is the planet flipping ever 24 hours? Does this mean that you spend the time fighting for a planet, win it, then in 24 hours it reverts back? or is it more of a casual statement that planet owners will change constantly?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

pixelbaron posted:

They could literally scrap CW and just add a 5mil c-bill bonus to winning a match since that's the only "benefit" I got from that long rear end writeup.

The reward will be a video of Paul giving you a thumbs up:

:thumbsup: You done good Trann...er...MechWarrior!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

EoRaptor posted:

It's an urbanmech joke.

I will not allow such slight on my Trashcan of Doom!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jimbosaurus posted:

This was an answer to upgrading planet defense question. The issue I'm wondering about is the planet flipping ever 24 hours? Does this mean that you spend the time fighting for a planet, win it, then in 24 hours it reverts back? or is it more of a casual statement that planet owners will change constantly?

The way I interpreted it is that it would revert back if the former owners attacked it back and won. So when you conquer, you both have to defend what you got and push forward to new planets to make that one safe.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

The way I interpreted it is that it would revert back if the former owners attacked it back and won. So when you conquer, you both have to defend what you got and push forward to new planets to make that one safe.

This is how a lot of other 'conquer territory' games go. One side takes a castle or whatever, then as soon as they all go to sleep the other side comes and takes it back, ad infinitum...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

WoL's commitment to House Liao (way out of the invasion corridor) is looking savvier by the day.

Huh. I don't own any non-clan mechs.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
What would be cool is if they made it so they we could have our own base (kinda like the stronghold from WoT except a bit more interactive) that we could defend from the enemy raids, and place buildings and turrets and poo poo.

Too bad that would be too interesting for :pgi: to make because they apparently don't care about that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe we could make a Clan Zirconium Tetatae.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Jimbosaurus posted:

Pretty sure it's badly worded but I got: Every 24 hours their system/server checks contested planets for changes in tokens, and if the amount of tokens flips the ownership of the planet then that's when it will happen.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe we could make a Clan Zirconium Tetatae.

Someone on mumble last night suggested Clan Smoke Trees.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

Guys, hey guys. WEED!!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
What about Clan Gullible Idiots?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

While I like this one it's not really a dumb animal, and we need a dumb animal name. Clan Gullible Tyrannosaurus? Those were not very smart either.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AP posted:

Can someone post a summary.

"We couldn't think of a way to balance IS vs. Clan, so we gave up and put in IS vs. IS."

Edit: Clan Fire Mandrill is already pretty much the gooniest Clan ever.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 25, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's a little "lol weed", but it does parody an existing clan name, which is important. (Clan Zirconium Tetatae also does this, and is good)

Clan Ghost Heat would be funny for a little while. Maybe Clan Emerald Tetatae?

EDIT: It's pretty much a given that the goon clan faction would be jade falcon-aligned, right?

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 25, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

OB_Juan posted:

Heh, that was my legacy name on SW:TOR.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You could always lay claim to Clan Star Adder. Y'know, for the abbreviation.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Clan Space Whale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
Diamond Tetatae Forever [DTF]

• Locked thread