Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New DLC out

New Songs:

Final Fantasy II – Battle Theme A
Final Fantasy VI – Protect the Espers!
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children – Aerith’s Theme (piano version)
Final Fantasy X – Thunder Plains
Final Fantasy XIV – Good King Moggle Mog XII
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles – Promised Grace
Dissidia Final Fantasy – Battle Arrangement 1 (from Final Fantasy IX)
Dissidia 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy – Canto Mortis (An Undocumented Battle)

New Characters:

Final Fantasy IV – Rosa Joanna Farrell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurtofan posted:

New DLC out

New Songs:

Final Fantasy XIV – Good King Moggle Mog XII

And like that, Curtain Call is now the best game in the series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Nightmare Before Christmas.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I miss the weird Square games of old, back during the SNES/PS1 golden era. Saga Frontier was just so fun even with all its weird design. Maybe because of it.

The stories in Frontier that actually felt like a completed work were really fun, like Red, Asellus, and to an extent, T260-G. Blue and Lute's stories were almost indistinguishable since they revolved around doing the same quests, get all the magic, then fight your boss, Blue's was just funnier since he was an rear end in a top hat to numerous people in the process and was rewarded with him becoming the god of magic in the end. Emelia's had so much potential to it but it ended up being a bit of a mess and don't get me started on how loving terrible Riki's quest was, in spite of it also feeling close to a complete story.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only issue I have with Curtain Call is using the analog stick for the swipes and somehow it not registering the motion when I did them right.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

I miss the weird Square games of old, back during the SNES/PS1 golden era. Saga Frontier was just so fun even with all its weird design. Maybe because of it.

That golden era is unlikely to ever come back. Wada restructured the company into global AAA publisher that it became difficult to greenlit smaller, more risky games due to the changing company culture and the state of the market. The company needs to have hit games to keep itself alive and those hits are using up all their resources. More importantly, the cost of making hit games has gone up and the company has had difficult producing such games as it is. It just cost so expensive to make a AAA RPG these days since you have to spend so much on production values and marketing for the game.

I think at the very least they could afford a small, disciplined team to experiment with smaller scale RPGs. Many publishers have started to create small teams and publish their games through digital distribution to minimize overhead. Ubisoft recently made the Child of Light developers into their own distinct team. Warner Bros. Games has announced the WB Games Vault where developers can work on old gaming IPs they've acquired over the years, such as Gauntlet. Blizzard made Hearthstone to try to break away from their AAA production model and go back to how they used to make games in the past. They said one of the reason they cancelled Project Titan was because of the success of Hearthstone. Even Activision, a publisher known to be very conservative in its portfolio, has resurrected the Sierra to publish niche titles.

The SE North American branch took a few risks with their publishing initiatives but I'd like their Japanese side to let their internal staff cut loose. That advertisement for a new development studio in Japan may have been their attempt at something like this. We'll find out in a couple of years.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm right there with you, Sunning. I'm actually really happy to see the big publishers put resources into smaller scale RPG's like Child of Light and Bravely Default. I hope SE picks up on it and we start seeing small RPG's on PSN, Steam, 3DS, etc that get away from the obsession with cutting edge graphics and just get back to fun core game design.

It's a funny thing too - fun core game design gets you really far even when other spots might be lacking. Even AAA games have taken this into account like Destiny, which has issues with content but so far is skating on with genuinely fun shooting mechanics. Bravely Default is a very different sort of game but also managed to get a lot of fans despite story-telling issues because the core gameplay was just really, really fun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I definitely agree that SE would benefit a lot from having at least one dedicated team working on smaller RPGs like that. The demand is there. It could also be a way for SE to attract some more talent which could potentially be used for other AAA games in the future as well.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Himuro posted:

It's funny because I have a friend who loves SaGa but hates non-linear games. I love non-linear games, but hate what I've played of SaGa. So if you'd suggest a SaGa, you'd suggest Frontier and FFL2?

Frontier is a hard suggestion to make because it's really difficult to grasp going in; there's very little in the way of descriptions of what you should be doing or where you should go, and the translation is so bad in places that it ends up giving you a bunch of false information. On top of that, since the SNES era the games have had their progression tied to how often you fight; every battle increases a hidden counter, and the higher that counter goes the harder the battles become. The lack of direction, combined with enemies who respawn every time you switch screens and may be more or less powerful (and thus more or less likely to give you those all-important stat gains) mean that it can be pretty easy to make the game literally unwinnable if you spend too much time running around one area.

My suggestion with Frontier (and with all Saga games, really) is to play it with a guide that you use as conservatively as you can handle. Let yourself explore the environments, but don't be afraid to look something up if you get lost and aren't sure how to proceed. One of the series' strongest points is that, if you can actually keep a grasp on where you're supposed to be headed, you can keep a steady forward momentum without hitting a roadblock you need to grind for; in general, you can tell how much trouble you'll have against a boss by how well you do against the area's generic enemies, and the tougher those fights are, the less time it'll take for your stats to jump up to where they aren't so difficult. I really don't like grinding in games, so not being forced to stop before each boss to accrue a bunch of EXP for levels is one reason why I like the series so much.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

That golden era is unlikely to ever come back. Wada restructured the company into global AAA publisher that it became difficult to greenlit smaller, more risky games due to the changing company culture and the state of the market. The company needs to have hit games to keep itself alive and those hits are using up all their resources. More importantly, the cost of making hit games has gone up and the company has had difficult producing such games as it is. It just cost so expensive to make a AAA RPG these days since you have to spend so much on production values and marketing for the game.

I think at the very least they could afford a small, disciplined team to experiment with smaller scale RPGs. Many publishers have started to create small teams and publish their games through digital distribution to minimize overhead. Ubisoft recently made the Child of Light developers into their own distinct team. Warner Bros. Games has announced the WB Games Vault where developers can work on old gaming IPs they've acquired over the years, such as Gauntlet. Blizzard made Hearthstone to try to break away from their AAA production model and go back to how they used to make games in the past. They said one of the reason they cancelled Project Titan was because of the success of Hearthstone. Even Activision, a publisher known to be very conservative in its portfolio, has resurrected the Sierra to publish niche titles.

The SE North American branch took a few risks with their publishing initiatives but I'd like their Japanese side to let their internal staff cut loose. That advertisement for a new development studio in Japan may have been their attempt at something like this. We'll find out in a couple of years.

I agree with your general point, but to say that S-E doesn't work on smaller titles, seems...incorrect, especially given Curtain Call just came out a few weeks ago. S-E seems to use Matrix, indiezero, and Silicon for niche projects such as TWEWY, and more recently, Thearhtyhm and Bravely Default. More than that, a lot of those experimental games can be seen on mobile. Titles like Chaos Rings 1 and 2, Bloodmasque, and Drake Rider show that S-E is willing to release more weird or niche titles. They're still being made, just not on consoles.

I'd say a smaller rpg perfectly describes Drake Rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYlfDxvhb8I

Or Chaos Rings 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1rbuGwXwrQ

The problem is that S-E branches in a lot of platforms, and release many games of different types, it's just that gamers ignore them. A few years ago, S-E started to go back on the niche rpg train with titles like TWEWY, Nier, and Blood of Bahamut; they bombed. I really liked that era of S-E. Yet S-E fans still complained about S-E not being good anymore despite the overwhelming quality in their releases, from the DQ remakes to FF4's ds remake, and the aforementioned titles.

Unless of course, you meant niche titles with a higher budget such as Child of Light that appear on console/pc?

There's Chaos Rings III coming out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvY6OXrSo_Y), which looks pretty good. S-E has options if you know where to look for them and don't have pre-existing biases.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Himuro posted:

It's funny because I have a friend who loves SaGa but hates non-linear games. I love non-linear games, but hate what I've played of SaGa. So if you'd suggest a SaGa, you'd suggest Frontier and FFL2?

SaGa Frontier is not forgiving if you go in blind and pick one of the more difficult/annoying characters. If they play frontier have them start with Red or Asellus. Red because Alkaiser is a beatdown machine, Asellus because she's a loving monster with all the perks of humans and mystics, and almost none of the drawbacks. Plus you can pickup one of the strongest swords in the game at the start of her story if you're willing to give up the LP for it (and you are,because the sword's worth it). If you want to make your friend hate SaGa games tell him to play SaGa Frontier as Riki. Riki is the worst.

First time I played I went with Blue and it was ok until I went to get the goblet card. The swamp enemies had just upgraded to Krakens and they destroyed me constantly. Eventually on my 4th or 5th try Gen learned Godless, aka gently caress Your Physical Attacks, and proceeded to drunk counter-murder his way through the swamp. :cheers:

If they don't mind gameboy-era graphics I'd probably suggest FFL2 instead though since it's linear. Mutants are nice but the mechanic that gates their ability to learn the better skills like P-Blast and Flare is fairly annoying but if they didn't gate it you'd have people in the first world with Flare (instead you just have to RNG manipulate Dunabis(?) in Apollo's world if you want it super early as he apparently gives a chance to learn any mutant skill).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

SaGa Frontier is not forgiving if you go in blind and pick one of the more difficult/annoying characters. If they play frontier have them start with Red or Asellus. Red because Alkaiser is a beatdown machine, Asellus because she's a loving monster with all the perks of humans and mystics, and almost none of the drawbacks. Plus you can pickup one of the strongest swords in the game at the start of her story if you're willing to give up the LP for it (and you are,because the sword's worth it). If you want to make your friend hate SaGa games tell him to play SaGa Frontier as Riki. Riki is the worst.

First time I played I went with Blue and it was ok until I went to get the goblet card. The swamp enemies had just upgraded to Krakens and they destroyed me constantly. Eventually on my 4th or 5th try Gen learned Godless, aka gently caress Your Physical Attacks, and proceeded to drunk counter-murder his way through the swamp. :cheers:

If they don't mind gameboy-era graphics I'd probably suggest FFL2 instead though since it's linear. Mutants are nice but the mechanic that gates their ability to learn the better skills like P-Blast and Flare is fairly annoying but if they didn't gate it you'd have people in the first world with Flare (instead you just have to RNG manipulate Dunabis(?) in Apollo's world if you want it super early as he apparently gives a chance to learn any mutant skill).

There's actually a Saga II remake for the ds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZJ9TxHGJY

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Curtain Call is going to bankrupt me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Siren Song of Curtain Call DLC.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
FF2's Battle A theme is a boss theme introduced in the psp version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDxRV7yYz8

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Himuro posted:

Frontier is a good game if you know what to do, so basically start out with Red, Asellus, or Blue's story since they're much more forgiving, and that lets you get a good head of steam. Then do T260-G's because his story is basically a drunk guy hanging out with a poo poo ton of robots as they all steamroll the game and it's entertaining as all hell.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of FFL2, then again the last time I played it was about 10 years ago and at the time I really wasn't a fan of weapon durability in RPGs at the time.

Frontier 2 is also a good game but it's a bit different than Frontier 1, namely that instead of 7 individual characters with their own stories, you have 2 stories, one involving an exiled heir's rise to power and the other's about a family of treasure hunters' war against a weird as hell artifact. The heir's story is about 75% cutscene but personally I feel it's one of the better stories told in the PS1 era and the treasure hunter story is the bulk of the gameplay and watching the two stories interweave with one another is very interesting. That being said, it's very hard, even with a good head of steam going into it, there are some boss fights which can and will walk all over you. As far as linearity goes, it's closer to the Legend series than Romancing SaGa in that you are almost never set out with a world map of zones to explore with nothing but a slap on the rear end and a "Have fun."

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rirse posted:

The only issue I have with Curtain Call is using the analog stick for the swipes and somehow it not registering the motion when I did them right.

I have that issue too but it still happens less often then it did in the first one when I was forced to use the stylus.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm definitely buying King Moggle Mog XII when I get home

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Little disappointed Nael's theme from XIV wasn't DLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Little disappointed Nael's theme from XIV wasn't DLC.
I think there might be more DLC coming out, even in Japan? I saw a scan of Gau.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I use a VPN and access Steam from East Asia, can I then buy the Asian version of FFXIII? The currency on my Steam account is USD.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please get the crystal chronicles song, it's really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

If I use a VPN and access Steam from East Asia, can I then buy the Asian version of FFXIII? The currency on my Steam account is USD.
Why would you want to? Not being a dick, just curious. If you want the Japanese voice acting, there'll probably be a mod or something for that once it's been out for a little bit. Pretty much any game with a dub and a PC release gets one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are there videos of the ultimate versions of the DLC tracks? Like from the Japanese version I guess

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Endorph posted:

I think there might be more DLC coming out, even in Japan? I saw a scan of Gau.

Yeah, Teathrythm's director has said in a recent interview that they want to keep putting DLC out as long as they can.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope there is more DLC than what's in the JP version because I was hoping for that ridiculous boss theme from XIII-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDPV_2_brck

Paradigm Shift also from XIII-2 would be cool too

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Endorph posted:

Why would you want to? Not being a dick, just curious. If you want the Japanese voice acting, there'll probably be a mod or something for that once it's been out for a little bit. Pretty much any game with a dub and a PC release gets one.

The English voiced version is actually a really high effort dub. The mouths are re-animated and the cutscenes/FMVs are reworked. A patch, either fan-made or official, would be absolutely huge. It's likely it won't ever happen officially for licensing reasons.

A fan patch is possible but I'd rather just have it with Japanese voice acting off the bat rather than download basically the whole game twice over.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
After playing some online VS in curtain call I checked out the Chaos Quests I inherited from the people I played.

Someone gave me a level 31 medium quest where the first boss drops EXP Hound Scrolls and Black Shards with a save point one song away from the boss :getin:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Probably not unless you did a complete changeover of your account to Japan (which would probably screw other things up) and always kept that VPN up.

If you really, really want the JPN audio version of the game, import the PS3 version from Hong Kong, that's what I did back in the day.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Endorph posted:

Square released the Japanese soundtrack as DLC for LR so it's not out of the question that they could do it for XIII as well.

Heran Bago posted:

The English voiced version is actually a really high effort dub. The mouths are re-animated and the cutscenes/FMVs are reworked. A patch, either fan-made or official, would be absolutely huge. It's likely it won't ever happen officially for licensing reasons.

A fan patch is possible but I'd rather just have it with Japanese voice acting off the bat rather than download basically the whole game twice over.

What licensing reasons would prevent them from doing an official version?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

They'd have to pay the JP voice actors again to reuse the voices, wouldn't they? Not impossible, but then they'd have to consider if it justifies the costs.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I still don't entirely "get" the RPG mechanics in Curtain Call. Is damage done by regularly hitting notes based on a particular stat like Strength or Magic? Or do those stats only come into play for certain skills?

I've seen some people talk about mixing up the types in their parties, like having some strength and some magic characters on hand. Is this better than just having a full party of Magic characters boosted by Mana's Paeon and what-not?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Himuro posted:

For reference, this is virtually the only Japanese version footage of FF8 on youtube. :qq: Even searching for Final Fantasy VIII Japanese gameplay renders me with a search suggestion of Final Fantasy XIII Japanese version instead. Whyyyyyyyy?! :negative: I'll have to try niconico instead.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/36217893 is recent and pretty complete, just as a quick recommendation

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Square released the Japanese soundtrack as DLC for LR so it's not out of the question that they could do it for XIII as well.

Endorph posted:

They'd have to pay the JP voice actors again to reuse the voices, wouldn't they? Not impossible, but then they'd have to consider if it justifies the costs.

In the best case scenario yeah that's it. Often Japanese voice actors are on contract not to have too much of their work on two many separate titles or regions. It's apparently not unheard of for contracts to stipulate that their work is only for use within Japan. For a number of licensing and contractual reasons sometimes they legally just can't.

XSEED has talked about difficulties with getting the rights to use Japanese dubs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50395479&postcount=1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

I still don't entirely "get" the RPG mechanics in Curtain Call. Is damage done by regularly hitting notes based on a particular stat like Strength or Magic? Or do those stats only come into play for certain skills?

I've seen some people talk about mixing up the types in their parties, like having some strength and some magic characters on hand. Is this better than just having a full party of Magic characters boosted by Mana's Paeon and what-not?

The gist of it:

Agility makes you go farther in FMS songs. This gives you more items and exp.

Strength makes you hit harder in BMS songs. This gives you more items and exp since you kill enemies faster. Every note hit successfully does damage.

Magic makes certain skills stronger in BMS, and your summons too. Everyone uses Strength for their normal attacks though.

Stamina and Spirit are phys and magic def, they let you take more hits before you lose
HP lets you take more hits before you lose

Luck gives you better drops

Basically if you're good enough at the actual song portion; Stamina, Spirit and HP are the least essential stats because you are trying not to get hurt that often.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As long as they make the Japanese soundtrack accessible for FFXIII-2 we should all be fine because holy poo poo is it criminal the vocals were cut from a few songs.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

There's a pretty comprehensive guide on GameFAQs, check the character stats section. You do most damage through strength. Magic is only for certain abilities and summons.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Awesome, that clears things up for me greatly. Looks like they want you to go for a sort of traditional party set-up, with a fast person, a hitty person, a magic person, and a healy person. But I bet if I were good enough I could skip healing altogether.

I'm not good enough, at least not in Ultimate songs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

Awesome, that clears things up for me greatly. Looks like they want you to go for a sort of traditional party set-up, with a fast person, a hitty person, a magic person, and a healy person. But I bet if I were good enough I could skip healing altogether.

In Vs. Mode I ran into the gaping jaws of someone who managed to SSS Ultimate (no EX) Otherworld, no misses, all Criticals. He used Hybrid style, but I think he was actually a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

Even if you're good enough the healing really helps for the quests since you can't heal between songs without using items.

Edit: Anyone that needs a bit of extra CP on their characters look up the passwords for Collectacards. Mainly you want Omega, Shinryu, Ozma, Diamond Weapon, Ultimate Weapon, Chaos, Cosmos, Yiazmat, Feral Chaos, Mover. More or less the superbosses :v:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/730860-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/faqs/69256?page=6#CollectaCard Passwords

Every single password gives you 3 cards, and there's a pass for both rare and normal. That's 6 cards you can apply all at once for a bigger bonus and chance to boost CP. Waaaay faster than leveling them to 99 each time

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 25, 2014