Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That was amazing, did you just write that off the cuff? I love everything about it.

Thanks, it was off the cuff but heavily inspired by my experience at a startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I want to believe that you know how strlen works and this is a troll post.

Besides, never not strnlen :colbert:

Depends on what your doing. Strlen is perfectly fine if you know how big your array is. I dont do a lot of string handling to begin with anyways, but when I do its usually snprintfs and Char arrays that I memset to 0 anyways, which thinking about it he should have done to begin with.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 25, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Depends on what your doing. Strlen is perfectly fine if you know how big your array is. I do t do a lot of string handling to begin with anyways, but when I do its usually snprintfs and Chad arrays that I memset to 0 anyways, which thinking about it he should have done to begin with.

It probably wasn't C anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

It probably wasn't C anyway

Works in c++ as well. :colbert:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Works in c++ as well. :colbert:

But not Java or C# or SQL any of the other managed languages where you could reasonably use char (and which are far more likely to be used for writing reports)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This year I will be receiving a separate annual review from each of my four bosses. Yes, my last boss is somehow still one of my bosses even though she and I both report to my new boss and my box is no longer below hers on the org chart. I said "this makes me feel overmanaged" and my new boss said "I would've killed to have that much leadership when I was your age."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say since I don't receive leadership from any of these people, nor can one person be simultaneously led by four people, but I'm actually older than my new boss.

This is less like a job and more like a hallucination. And I didn't even get to choose between the red and blue pill!

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

evol262 posted:

But not Java or C# or SQL any of the other managed languages where you could reasonably use char (and which are far more likely to be used for writing reports)

char(2) with the parenthesis around the 2 like that sounds more like SQL to me, especially in the context of reports.

Contextual screaming:
I'm working at a startup and I think this is the 7th time we've "pivoted" since February. These pivots mean we've gone from a company that offers a fairly cool service to one that is literally just acting as a middleman between other providers and provides almost no real service of their own. We run out of money early next year if we don't get enough customers. Also, the company has fired 4 people out of 11 and is still in the process of rehiring, during a super shaky time for any company - that first year after formation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Urit posted:

char(2) with the parenthesis around the 2 like that sounds more like SQL to me, especially in the context of reports.

I don't code in SQL, and I thought the parenthesis was just a weird auto correct for square brackets.

I am the man you code with. :smith:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Urit posted:

Contextual screaming:
I'm working at a startup and I think this is the 7th time we've "pivoted" since February. These pivots mean we've gone from a company that offers a fairly cool service to one that is literally just acting as a middleman between other providers and provides almost no real service of their own. We run out of money early next year if we don't get enough customers. Also, the company has fired 4 people out of 11 and is still in the process of rehiring, during a super shaky time for any company - that first year after formation.

Is this your boss?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfXoUNDYA

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dick Trauma posted:

my new boss said "I would've killed to have that much leadership when I was your age."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say since I don't receive leadership from any of these people, nor can one person be simultaneously led by four people, but I'm actually older than my new boss.

hahahahahaha is your new boss blind

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

This year I will be receiving a separate annual review from each of my four bosses. Yes, my last boss is somehow still one of my bosses even though she and I both report to my new boss and my box is no longer below hers on the org chart. I said "this makes me feel overmanaged" and my new boss said "I would've killed to have that much leadership when I was your age."

I would have replied "Fine, let's switch places then."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

This is less like a job and more like a hallucination. And I didn't even get to choose between the red and blue pill!

Your age?? Aren't you like in your 40s? It's not like your an intern or new guy.

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.

Tab8715 posted:

I'd honestly reply to DickTramua's email with "Yes and one million dollars".

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

I do some EDI mapping on it. I'm not a huge fan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tab8715 posted:

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

I just threw two out.

We still have one running. Actually, those weren't really running, they were just plugged in and sitting around JUST IN CASE.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

Jesus loving christ, tell your new boss to hire another custodial employee because the condescension pooling up is starting to rot the wood in the building.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It helped that during the conversation I'd only popped out one of my earbuds, and the other was blasting "What fresh hell" by Leviathan into my head.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

The Aristocrats.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have never understood how someone would have more than one boss. It just doesn't make any business sense.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

.beer TLD's went on sale today. I'm tempted to buy thisiswhyidrink.beer and just redirect it to this thread.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ratbert90 posted:

I don't code in SQL, and I thought the parenthesis was just a weird auto correct for square brackets.

I am the man you code with. :smith:

I know us database guys get no respect but SQL really does require a different mindset and it is dangerous for developers without this to get too involved.

I've lost count of how many cursors and how much questionable dynamic SQL I've ripped out of stored procedures that were only there because the dev couldn't think in sets (sure I get that occasionally there isn't an alternative but neither of these things should be your go-to)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A phone bill came in.... my work mobile.

So it turns out that my work gave me a SIM card on a tarrif with 512KB of data with further usage charged at £1.80, they did not put a data block on the SIM. I work mostly from home with some on-site work.

I had a relationship breakup back in June, and moved out onto a friend's couch, she did not have broadband. In those two weeks I used just over a gig of data.

£1800 phone bill, the bill has only just reached my boss and alerted him to the problem. The bills for July and August are yet to arrive.

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 25, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I posted this in the Coding Horrors thread, but figured it'll be a better audience here. AWS is rebooting their entire cloud this weekend to deal with the Xen/bash vuln:
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/09/25/amazon_readies_global_glory_reboot/

So... good luck if you have mission critical stuff on AWS I guess?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

I posted this in the Coding Horrors thread, but figured it'll be a better audience here. AWS is rebooting their entire cloud this weekend to deal with the Xen/bash vuln:
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/09/25/amazon_readies_global_glory_reboot/

Huh.

This affect S3?

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Lum posted:

A phone bill came in.... my work mobile.

So it turns out that my work gave me a SIM card on a tarrif with 512KB of data with further usage charged at £1.80, they did not put a data block on the SIM. I work mostly from home with some on-site work.

I had a relationship breakup back in June, and moved out onto a friend's couch, she did not have broadband. In those two weeks I used just over a gig of data.

£1800 phone bill, the bill has only just reached my boss and alerted him to the problem. The bills for July and August are yet to arrive.

Are you on the hook for this? I assume they gave you the work mobile to enable you to do work from home.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Scaramouche posted:

If it's mission critical you're already doing multiple Availability Zones and working with high availability systems anyway. Right ? Netflix probably won't notice this, Dropbox will probably be ok.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Simpleboo posted:

Are you on the hook for this? I assume they gave you the work mobile to enable you to do work from home.

They assumed I would use my home broadband. I assumed they wouldn't have chosen such a ridiculous tariff. In the 2 or so years I've worked from home, they have had a lot more than a gig of data out of me, for free!

After getting to the bottom of what went on, I basically said that in writing. I pointed out that O2 (the SIM provider) do a tariff with 5GB / month, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for £20/month and that I couldn't reasonably be expected to realise that my phone (which had no data bar in place) was on such a horrendous tariff since O2 don't even list the one I'm on for sale.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

.beer TLD's went on sale today. I'm tempted to buy https://thisiswhyidrink.beer and just redirect it to this thread.

Whoever you are, I love you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sirotan posted:

Whoever you are, I love you.

Holy crap that was fast

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
A couple of devs sent me an email requesting they be given admin rights to upload .vbs files on our production SharePoint site.

Let's see what IT Security has to say about that.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Why would they be uploading script files to Sharepoint?

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Had a developer tie up one of my guys today for 45 minutes saying that RDP wasn't working. Claimed he was using the right account, etc. etc. My guy does a screen share, developer was trying to log into the wrong domain and wrong account. Same developer later says that he's tired of VDI, it's slow, etc. He'd been compiling stuff on it all day...when they have a TFBuild server that we paid consultants to come in and setup at his request.

My next job, I will be the consumer of someone's services.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

internet jerk posted:

That is an excellent question. I'm guessing somebody is trying to implement some kind of ridiculous hack.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

No, sir, you cannot have access to "Active Directories" to add your staff to SharePoint.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

That is an excellent question. I'm guessing somebody is trying to implement some kind of ridiculous hack.

Sounds to me like they need manager approval and a business justification for not just the elevated privileges but what it is they're trying to accomplish before it's even considered; by considered I mean denied.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

internet jerk posted:

Probable dumb reason: They want to create a scheduled task to run the .vbs file using cscript.exe

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

They assumed I would use my home broadband. I assumed they wouldn't have chosen such a ridiculous tariff. In the 2 or so years I've worked from home, they have had a lot more than a gig of data out of me, for free!

After getting to the bottom of what went on, I basically said that in writing. I pointed out that O2 (the SIM provider) do a tariff with 5GB / month, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for £20/month and that I couldn't reasonably be expected to realise that my phone (which had no data bar in place) was on such a horrendous tariff since O2 don't even list the one I'm on for sale.

Please keep updating on this.

I got caught with a personal dongle from Orange. Had a 500MB monthly allowance with a £2/day max cap if you exceeded the quota.

Worked fine for my light, occasional use. Until I got stuck in a hotel for 3 days and decided that £6 was worth it for unlimited internet for the 3 days, instead of using the hotel's expensive net (£15/day).

Got saddled with a £90 charge for 3 days use as they denied that the cap existed - even though I confirmed when I bought the dongle and twice afterwards with their CS team.

I've taken to recording any interactions with any company over the phone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So we're apparently meant to be putting "pm" in our worklog. This means preventative measure and its meant to be what we've done to stop this issue from happening again.

Good idea in theory, except all our fixes are to stop a problem permanently anyway, or can't be helped (user forgot their password, on site printer has died, etc).

This hasn't stopped the boss from sneering at anyone who doesn't put "pm" in front of their fix. I've not been sneered at yet, but the whole thing is just dumb. If someone is just shoving a temp fix on an issue, they need to be dealt with personally, not with some crappy policy that doesn't differentiate between things that can be prevented and things that can't.

I suppose this is more a rant of "gently caress managers who just go "new policy" instead of dealing with an issue" rather than an issue with this specific scenario however.

spog posted:

Please keep updating on this.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 26, 2014

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
MobileCos are hilariously dumb - if they're not doing crazy poo poo like letting low level engineers read SMSes to/from certain numbers without any monitoring (at least they were in 2002), then it's different fiefdoms within the company fighting each other as to why things do not work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

So we're apparently meant to be putting "pm" in our worklog. This means preventative measure and its meant to be what we've done to stop this issue from happening again.

Good idea in theory, except all our fixes are to stop a problem permanently anyway, or can't be helped (user forgot their password, on site printer has died, etc).

This hasn't stopped the boss from sneering at anyone who doesn't put "pm" in front of their fix. I've not been sneered at yet, but the whole thing is just dumb. If someone is just shoving a temp fix on an issue, they need to be dealt with personally, not with some crappy policy that doesn't differentiate between things that can be prevented and things that can't.

I suppose this is more a rant of "gently caress managers who just go "new policy" instead of dealing with an issue" rather than an issue with this specific scenario however.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

PM surgically forced users eyelids open and had them watch their password being typed over and over again. Attached punishment electrodes to users naughty bits and forced them to type their password 10 times in a row, correctly. Removed electrodes when user revealed that screams were of pleasure, shuddered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Volmarias posted:

PM surgically forced users eyelids open and had them watch their password being typed over and over again. Attached punishment electrodes to users naughty bits and forced them to type their password 10 times in a row, correctly. Removed electrodes when user revealed that screams were of pleasure, shuddered.

This is even better of you didn't read the posts above and though PM meant Project Manager.