Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Empress dead, princess kidnapped and us stuck right in the middle of it. Revolution is oncoming as the throne is quickly filled by the very men who arranged the assassination and kidnapping. But what if I told you the revolution could be thwarted and the rightful heir to the throne restored in under an hour? I'm sure Corvo is thrilled. It will be a short painful journey filled with levitation, plenty of teleporting and half-assed assassinations. All in the name of Corvo's burning desire for revenge as long as it is convenient.

The LP

Dishonored allows for many different playstyles, stealth only, action runs, magic and no magic. Unfair made a very in-depth series on Dishonored and showed off many of the small details that makes Dishonored so fun to play through for the first time. But what about every other time? I have beaten Dishonored more times than I can count and still love to play through it, sometimes several times in one day. I want to show Dishonored for what makes it so much fun for me. By using speedrun routes and strategies I plan to show off the often hilarious chaos that ensues in the name of trying to beat the game with reckless abandon while still giving it a Dishonored feel. Because this means some levels will be going by so quickly, I have decided against my usual informative LP style as it would essentially turn into a speedrun walkthrough. I have instead opted for a Freeman's Mind narrative from Corvo's perspective to showcase the insanity of a story done as quickly as possible. Of course I will be slowing it down a bit to keep the LP from lasting only 40 minutes, I want to show off what makes the game fun for me not break a world record.

Feedback

Given that I typically LP in a more informative style, this is far from my usual style of commentary (and seems to be fairly rare for LPs in general). Let me know what you think. I'm working hard to make it entertaining and I'll keep doing my best to improve.

Videos

Fan Stuff

What Corvo doesn't realize is that over the years many prototypes of The Heart have been made to appeal to a wider range of audiences. Perhaps he should look into getting an upgrade.
We have those appealing to the very young

Those that appeal to those looking for a hip retro feel

And it's even been in in popular media across the nation

Made by TyreForHyre

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Corvo used to be the star dunker in his highschool basketball team, but I can see why he got kicked off it. The leagues have pretty strict rules about bending the fabric of space and time to jump through the ceiling.

Also it didn't help that he was a poor sport and brutally murdered most of the opposing team.

Jesusballz
Sep 14, 2013
Corvo's got a pretty complete bucket list after just three months of "adventuring", he can finally quit his job and go live the secluded life in the mountains away from all the poor body-guarding, whale oil and plague rats he's wanted all his life. But I have that nagging feeling Sam isn't going to let him. Sam's kind of a jerk.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Umm... How does this high jump trick work, actually?

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Umm... How does this high jump trick work, actually?

Dishonored is kind of weird with how it calculates climbing. Basically when there is a corner bent at 90 degrees and perpendicular to the ground, the game thinks it is an infinite climb spot. So you get the angle right by jumping diagonally towards it and hold space so you climb it all the way up. The section in the courtyard with the Empress works because there is an invisible wall above the fence at that spot, so you can climb it all the way up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Joe, this is straight up the funniest thing you've done. The Stalker videos were pretty great too, but the characterization in this is slaying me. Well done! :D

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Joe, this is straight up the funniest thing you've done. The Stalker videos were pretty great too, but the characterization in this is slaying me. Well done! :D

Thanks a lot, man. This is way different from anything else I've done so it's good to hear that you enjoyed it so much.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

perochialjoe posted:

"I burnt my tongue.."
This is great, PJ. I'm really enjoying the humor.
Godspeed, Corvo, you beautiful, murderous bastard... :patriot:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This is the best thing. I can't wait for more.

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?
Oh man, it's good to be back. I'm excited to see the videos for this. I never bothered to check out all the glitches and stuff.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I forgot to mention it but "NOT THE FACE!" just before the title splash was loving inspired.

Gruntshepard
Aug 25, 2014
I really like this idea for an LP. I wish more people like you would do something like this.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
This is a good argument for Corvo being a silent protagonist. He could have been a sullen crybaby who complains all the time.

If he had an official voice actor, maybe they could have got Larry David or Will Arnett.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Every rose has its thorn. Or a still beating heart that likes to whisper things to you.

Also, thanks a lot you guys for the great feedback. Was pretty nervous about doing a LP like this but the response has been really good so I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it as I go.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
I actually wasn't completely sold on the gimmick from the first video, but I'm a minute and a half into the second and I had to pause it because I was laughing too hard to hear you anymore. Definitely going to follow this one to its conclusion. Maybe it will also convince me to finish the game, since I stalled out about 3/4 through and never went back to finish it.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
What Corvo doesn't realize is that over the years many prototypes of The Heart have been made to appeal to a wider range of audiences. Perhaps he should look into getting an upgrade.

We have those appealing to the very young

Those that appeal to those looking for a hip retro feel

And it's even been in in popular media across the nation

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

I actually wasn't completely sold on the gimmick from the first video, but I'm a minute and a half into the second and I had to pause it because I was laughing too hard to hear you anymore. Definitely going to follow this one to its conclusion. Maybe it will also convince me to finish the game, since I stalled out about 3/4 through and never went back to finish it.

Essentially this. I'm really not into narrative/in-character LPs, but this is pretty great. Of course, the fact that I love this game to bits helps a lot.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I find it twice as amusing to watch because a friend of mine tried to do the same, only nowhere near as good. It was pretty terrible, for many reasons. This is genuinely funny.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's better than the guy who tried to do it with Doom. It's not a terrible concept, but the execution is the important thing. Your dialogue flows pretty naturally, rather than sounding like you're reading it off a card. That makes all the difference.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is some pretty nice narrative you have going.

But the amazing adventures of Selective Geometry Man are the real attraction here. Looking forward to more!

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Thank god for Sam's neck of tungsten.

Also, sorry for the lack of recent updates guys. Been balancing a ton of things around lately and think I've finally smoothed it all out. I really appreciate the feedback, by the way. Thanks a lot for the support!

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 21, 2014

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?
I love that Corvo is awkward around women. It's somehow so fitting.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Amazingly entertaining, breaking geometry is also an added plus.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Corvo is having one hell of a day as a shiny new satan worshiper.

Edit: oh god I just got the pun in the episode title I hate you

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Corvo's a pretty tightly wound guy, huh? Taut like a bowstring.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"The hell is with these trees? They always been like this?"

When you fell through the palace floor I just about died laughing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This Corvo's mask should look more like :haw:.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I hope Sam gave Corvo at least two thumbs up for his accomplished way of assassinating that guy. Forgot his book, though.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Crigit posted:

Corvo is having one hell of a day as a shiny new satan worshiper.

Edit: oh god I just got the pun in the episode title I hate you

The fun doesn't stop once the video ends :D

Sindai posted:

This Corvo's mask should look more like :haw:.

Maybe the new one will. I doubt he'll keep wearing the first one Piero made seeing as how it shaved his ears off.

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I hope Sam gave Corvo at least two thumbs up for his accomplished way of assassinating that guy. Forgot his book, though.

From the shape of his nose, I'm pretty sure Corvo pancaked it on his landing. So maybe Sam isn't exactly too thrilled about it right now.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 21, 2014

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
This is a neat idea executed quite well. It's actually surprisingly funny.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This is pretty amazing. :allears:

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?
Do you use speed-running techniques to get through these areas? A lot of these sequences look really loving fast and well-rehearsed. You teleport like a maniac.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ArchetypeBlue posted:

This is a neat idea executed quite well. It's actually surprisingly funny.

I personally wasn't expecting much after reading the OP (no offense), but I'm glad to be disappointed. You are a goddamn glorious madman.

So, about that book...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Your exploits are legendary", he says. Oh, God, how right he is.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

Do you use speed-running techniques to get through these areas? A lot of these sequences look really loving fast and well-rehearsed. You teleport like a maniac.

Yep. Those geometry breaks in part one are known as the elevator glitch, the first one was to skip the cutscene with Emily (basically only saves a few seconds) and the second one by the Empress is to make the enemies instantly teleport away since the game thinks you suck horribly and doesn't want you to die in the prologue. The prison skip is obviously the biggest time saver, just walking on the tops of the walls and jumping in the river.

As for the first actual level, there aren't a whole lot of tricks to do there. Just a lot of teleporting. There is also a glitch that the glitch category speedruns use to teleport yourself through the door in Campbell's office so you can just kill him and run out rather than wait for him to unlock the door. But that glitch was patched out and you have to patch your game down to a previous version to use it.

And of course one of my favorite tricks, no fall damage by landing on a person's head. Does Sam mind us breaking our fall on his face, though? Well, not as long as we're crouching. If you land upright on his head and bounce twice, then he'll decide we've gone too far and make us start the level over again. But crouching, you can bounce on his face more than a 9 year old in Halo and he won't care.

ViggyNash posted:

I personally wasn't expecting much after reading the OP (no offense), but I'm glad to be disappointed. You are a goddamn glorious madman.

So, about that book...

Really glad you gave it a chance. What about the OP made you not expect much?

Between taking a key to the eyeball and the glory of decapitation with 40 lbs of draw strength, I'd be surprised if Corvo got the book myself. But nearly Turok'ing a guy's head is sure to make up for it, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

perochialjoe posted:

I would hazard a guess that is seems light on text and maybe doesn't grasp enough attention as other OP's? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws :shrug:

That being said, I'm also glad I looked into this thread and watched your vids. It's absolutely hilarious and breaks the game in ways I never knew. I've been meaning to play this again to try and 100% it, will you be doing the DLC content as well?

Either way, this is definitely a 5 and I eagerly await every new episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

perochialjoe posted:

Between taking a key to the eyeball and the glory of decapitation with 40 lbs of draw strength, I'd be surprised if Corvo got the book myself. But nearly Turok'ing a guy's head is sure to make up for it, right?

Saying it was a "Freeman's Mind"-like lp. Freeman's mind to me felt like a one-in-a-million success, so a random guy I don't know emulating that made me think it might just end up being spectacularly terrible. But, just maybe, it could just be plain amazing.

And it is. You planned it out perfectly, and the interplay between the silly dialog and the glitch abuse/speed-running madness is wonderful. You far exceeded even the best of my expectations.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would hazard a guess that is seems light on text and maybe doesn't grasp enough attention as other OP's? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws :shrug:

That being said, I'm also glad I looked into this thread and watched your vids. It's absolutely hilarious and breaks the game in ways I never knew. I've been meaning to play this again to try and 100% it, will you be doing the DLC content as well?

Either way, this is definitely a 5 and I eagerly await every new episode.

I'm not sure about the DLC. I've been needing to buy it since I started getting into speedrunning Dishonored. I have heard that the DLC is fun to speedrun, though, so I'll have to look up some stuff about that. Might be difficult since Daud would be another personality to narrate as. But it could be fun, too. I'll look into that and let you guys know when I decide on what to do with that.

ViggyNash posted:

Saying it was a "Freeman's Mind"-like lp. Freeman's mind to me felt like a one-in-a-million success, so a random guy I don't know emulating that made me think it might just end up being spectacularly terrible. But, just maybe, it could just be plain amazing.

And it is. You planned it out perfectly, and the interplay between the silly dialog and the glitch abuse/speed-running madness is wonderful. You far exceeded even the best of my expectations.

Yeah, I could see that. I was kind of hesitant to draw that comparison for that reason. But I'm glad you ended up liking it anyway.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
5'd. Dishonored is one of my absolute favorite games to PLAY... the story ain't much, but the gameplay is fantastic and so much fun. These speedrun tricks are great, your humor is great, I'm really enjoying this LP. No more month-long breaks, I want to see more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

The game is just giving out relics left and right. Even Grandma and the hookers have them. But at least we get to stop by the Golden Cat :heysexy:

100Dachshunds posted:

5'd. Dishonored is one of my absolute favorite games to PLAY... the story ain't much, but the gameplay is fantastic and so much fun. These speedrun tricks are great, your humor is great, I'm really enjoying this LP. No more month-long breaks, I want to see more!

Thanks for the vote, man. Great to hear you're enjoying it. I'm trying for about an update a week now give or take a few days. But definitely no more month long waits.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread