Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
u the best rope kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
- Options menu immediately looks like a bunch of stuff got cleaned up in there

- New 'Cage Cursor' option in menu that restricts mouse in the window for multi-monitor setups like mine. Edge scrolling is working well. Yay!

- Not sure if there was a lighting or texture change, but character faces and hair in the character creator looks a ton better. You can see strands and weaves in the hair now. It's starting to look pretty respectable. Still no anti-aliasing in the creator and it's been noticeable, especially on chain and scale mail armours.

- Along with the attribute changes in the patch notes, all scores 'start' at 10 now in the creator. You can still dump them down to 3, but your 'free' points start at 15 instead of 57.

- Now up to 36 character portraits

- Just gonna put this out there since we're a couple of patches in, but the save and load times will need to get faster. Quicksaves especially ought to be pretty instantaneous.

- Something's significantly changed with the background map art or the way it's displaying on my machine, they look miles crisper and less fuzzy now. Here are links to some uncompressed before and after screenshots.

Gonna play a Ranger tonight for the first time and check stuff out, on first glance the health still doesn't seem quite fixed.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Sensuki:

Aside from combat speed, what do you think that the IE games did better than Pillars of Eternity?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Cadegund is no longer a CNPC iirc
Why? That's a bad decision. She had guns and she sounded like she'd be fun. Man I really hope Obsidian doesn't screw the party members because it was one of the reasons I backed this alongside the roleplaying and writing. I pretty much accepted I would probably not like the combat, like I do with most WRPGs.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Just played about an hour with the new patch and holy moly is it ever an improvement! Here's a few thoughts:

-I'm glad Scorchy mentioned the graphical improvements because I couldn't tell if it was all in my head or not.
-The attribute changes seem really good, but I'm an idiot and I kept getting confused about Endurance.
-The arrows for indicating who's attacking who(m?) work really well (I wonder if some people will hate them though...) and make combat more readable.
-The new stealth system works well and I figured it out in just a few seconds without knowing it had changed, so for non-idiots it should be pretty clear too. I think it makes putting the whole group in stealth a lot more feasible, instead of sneaking character-by-character, but at the same time disincentivizes just stealthing around everything.
-It also seemed like most monsters were dropping additional loot like pearls and peridot, which should alleviate some of the concern about lack of combat XP making some players feel like all unnecessary combat is a waste of resources that should be avoided whenever possible.

There were a couple other things I forgot, but the changes since the first beta are incredible and make me really excited about the final release.

Edit: Scorchy != Sensuki

XenoCrab fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 26, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

- Something's significantly changed with the background map art or the way it's displaying on my machine, they look miles crisper and less fuzzy now. Here are links to some uncompressed before and after screenshots.
We changed the filtering. It looks better at the standard view but sizzles a bit when you zoom out, I think.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Did DoT damage get a pass? I remember people getting weirded out at stuff like Deep Wounds or that one wizard spell that's an aoe DoT, or Soul Ignite, that Cypher thing. I think Soul Ignite got nerfed previously or something?

Really it was just the DoT damage being kind of crazy high overall.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Accordion Man posted:

Why? That's a bad decision. She had guns and she sounded like she'd be fun. Man I really hope Obsidian doesn't screw the party members because it was one of the reasons I backed this alongside the roleplaying and writing. I pretty much accepted I would probably not like the combat, like I do with most WRPGs.

What ~if~ they come up with even better companions? I know, I'm crazy like that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

PurplieNurplie posted:

Did DoT damage get a pass? I remember people getting weirded out at stuff like Deep Wounds or that one wizard spell that's an aoe DoT, or Soul Ignite, that Cypher thing. I think Soul Ignite got nerfed previously or something?

Really it was just the DoT damage being kind of crazy high overall.
The tick rate for all DoTs and HoTs was changed from 1 every second to 1 every 3 seconds and a lot of values were tuned.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Woohoo new patch!

e: wow 2.0 gb

Eeeeeh, going to try it out right now. Got a few hours before work, so it fits perfectly for a quick rundown.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Accordion Man posted:

The big reason they keep such a tight lid on most of the lore / narrative detail is that people get really attached to things that aren't locked into the game. I was really looking forward to another CNPC that got cut / replaced, but some of the new additions sound pretty wild from what little there is to mine from the beta xmls.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Just ran through the town quests and the Skaen dungeon on a new Ranger, with a lion pet. I hadn't played a Ranger since they were bugged before, so this was all new to me.

- First thing I'll say it's the first backer beta build that doesn't have significant combat bugs that make the fights unplayable, and as such I'm finally getting a good feel for the combat flow and pace, how much damage the party and the enemies are doing, how much difference tactics make in a fights, etc. Really excited about the progress here. Looking forward to replaying this build a lot.

- Obvious bugs aside, the thing that needs be prioritized between now and release should be the pathfinding. It's still worse than the IE games. It was significantly overhauled last patch and it's a lot better than what it was, but I think just walking around town for 2-3 minutes, going into scouting mode, changing the formations up a bit, and it's pretty obvious to anyone playing what I'm talking about with the issues. You can't really walk anywhere without getting stuck and stutter-stepped on the simplest things, stepping in front of a wandering townie kinda just breaks everything, scouting mode still puts people at different speeds and they all bump into each other, etc. They have plenty of time to work on it, but by release it needs to be completely seamless or else people are going to be real pissed.

- I noticed poisons still hurt but DoTs weren't completely murdering everyone, so that was good news.

- Looks like most of the weird font and typography issues in the menus were cleaned up. Yay. The crafting menu was especially messed up and now it looks fine. The next thing to polish there is to get some better formatting into the info screens. I kinda said this when I saw the initial character sheet mockups, but it looks like someone copy and pasting a Word document in there. It could use bolding, bullet points, line separators, more colours, something; right now the only thing it has is indentation and it looks like blah:

- A lot of new backer NPCs in the game. They're all kinda standing around doing nothing right now, but I noticed Ray Muzyka formerly of Bioware and Desslock formerly of Gamespot upstairs in the inn.

- The ever-increasing deflection stuff in the last build is gone, but I think now the accuracy is fluctuating weirdly. At some point my wizard was casting fireball after fireball and missing everything, and I checked his stat sheet and notice his accuracy was -8 for some reason:

- New engagement graphics showing who's engaged with each other: it's an animated arced arrow right now, going outward (green) from your party members, and inward (red) for enemies engaging your party. It looks kinda like in Civilization V, when you click to attack someone and you get that curved arrow. My first reaction is it's very, very helpful and I used it a lot. In big scrums I'd often pause just to see who my Fighter was engaged with. I think the lines could stand to be thicker. The green is good in the dungeons, but it gets completely lost in the grass. Also there's significant frames in the animation where very little or no part of the arrow indicator is showing on screen, and on those frames there's not enough clarity. I kinda have to sit there a half sec and wait for the arrows show up again to figure out what's going on. The next arc of the arrow could show up a bit earlier and I don't think it would too busy.

- Also new stealth UI graphics: it's still very rough obviously, but my quick reaction is that I 'understood' it after looking at it for a second or two, so that's already most of the battle. Great job there.

- Noticing that crafting supplies like plants and herbs are now scattered in world, you can walk around pick them off the ground. You can hilight them with Tab. Gives more incentive to explore and engage enemies blocking them.

- The change from 8 to 16 inventory slots seems fine. I didn't mind the 8, but now it's up to 16 and you just feel slightly less of an inventory crush when picking things up I guess.

- There's a new UI element when moving stacks of items around, that lets you specify how many in the stack. That shouldn't be there for when you're looting an enemy, it's too many clicks. It should only show up when moving stacks between characters. I'm use to distributing individual items on the enemy loot screen, but after this change I just starting using the Take All button and sorting it out later, because it was otherwise too annoying.

- Economy is messed up now, enemies seem to drop more stuff and the armor and weapons sell for way more, so I was just emptying out the store's money coffers and having stuff leftover to sell. I'm rich!

- There was a patch change to make the enemy bodies the loot container, instead of them dropping a smaller container for you to click on. Great change, the major thing is that it's way easier to click on the larger bodies and loot them. The side effect is that enemy corpses now persist! They don't just vanish after combat, so backtracking through a dungeon you get to see a trail of bodies.

- Just playing through the areas, the new filtering makes the game look sharp as hell and seriously gorgeous. Zooming out you can see more jaggies than before, but I'm fine with the trade-off, maybe something will be worked out to fix it. All I care about is at default zoom it looks crazy loving nice now.

- Trap disarming for ground traps seems to work now, cool.

- You can also put traps items into your quick slots and lay them out to use against enemies. The BB Rogue character starts with a bunch. It's bugged though, I loaded 6 of them in my quickslot, laid down 2 and the rest disappeared.

- Oh and grappling hooks just disappear from the inventory too.

- There's a lot more talents in the game now - like double the amount. I'm sure people put up a list somewhere, or will soon.

- Weird bug after I walked into the backdoor for the Skaen dungeon and immediately got aggroed by a boar pet that was in the fog of war halfway across the map. I don't understand what happened there.

- There's like a new grey bar across the portrait which I think is when you get to low health, it clamps down on your max stamina/endurance.

- People asked for this, but there's two circles for AoE targetting now, the yellow is for friendly-fire dmg, and I think the green is for the increased radius from Intelligence, which doesn't cause FF. I think.

Rangers:

Interesting. It's probably the most low maintenance class to play?

You have activated abilities of course, but they seem to come later in the levels than other classes. Early only you're just marking one enemy for death and then having the pet and your Ranger double team it for extra damage. Later on, there's some slows and roots to cast. The shared pool of health for pet/player just means you have to take care of the pet like a normal player instead of using it as cannon fodder. If you're playing a ranged weapon Ranger, your actual dude is in the backline never taking damage anyway, so you're only really managing the pet's health, not both at the same time. A nice touch is being able to use the pet as a party member when creating formations.

Bows seemed weak in earlier beta builds, but there were so many other issues it was hard to tell if that was intended. All I know is I used a war bow on my Ranger today and the damage dealt out felt significant and useful to the party. Crossbows and guns felt real slow as primary weapons, slow enough that I hated using them, but I wasn't keeping tracking of numbers or anything to see if their damage kept up. That crossbow wind-up animation is gnarly though.

- Predator's Sense is a Ranger passive that does... something, I saw it on level-up, but it's bugged and not showing up on the character sheet.

- The lion pet was suppose to get a AE fear, but it never showed up as usable.

- Speaking of Knockdown, that noise is not bugged any more but still grating, way too much bass.

- Ranger has a talent called Swift and Steady; it suppose to reduce the Swift Aim accuracy penalty to -5 ranged accuracy. It seemed to work at first, but after a while I noticed it's not there any more and it's bugged back to -10 accuracy.

- My Ranger got Hardened Veil on level 6 level up, that's bugged and suppose to be a Wizard talent.

- At level 7 or so I got an ability on the pet called Takedown, it's a Knockdown equivalent. Except it seemed to have no real cooldown or usage limits, so I just was knocking people down every 2 seconds with infinite uses and it was real funny/dumb.

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Scorchy posted:

They don't just vanish after combat, so backtracking through a dungeon you get to see a trail of bodies.

I cannot overstate how cool this sounds.

And thanks for the great report Scorchy! I might have to put WL2 on the side for a while and try this build!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well combat is feeling a lot better, but at the same time now I can't talk to the innkeeper and various NPCs suddenly can't be interacted with :( Edit: Reloading lets me interact with all but the innkeeper. But it keeps happening, not sure what's triggering it.

Might have to wait for another build again. But beyond the few missing strings still around and the missing artwork, the game is feeling loads more polished. Getting my hopes up again for the retail release :)

Edit:vvv Already tried it on the innkeeper, didn't work too good.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Well combat is feeling a lot better, but at the same time now I can't talk to the innkeeper and various NPCs suddenly can't be interacted with :( Edit: Reloading lets me interact with all but the innkeeper. But it keeps happening, not sure what's triggering it.

This was happening to me with the weapon storekeeper, try selecting a single character instead of the entire party before clicking to talk.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

J.E. Sawyer posted:

You may also notice some odd loot drops (e.g. gems from wolves). We did change the loot tables, but that's a bug.

Pretend this is an homage to Snatch, ropekid.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Who's to say those wolves didn't chow down on some unsuspecting travelers and just happen to have eaten their gemstones, huh?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Maybe they're special wolves that swallow without chewing, which rely on gem-filled gizzards to break down their food.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

Why would I invest in the skill for combat purposes if I can remember or look up the values. I'd rather put points into something that actually gives me a good bonus, such as Survival.

My issue with that argument is that you can make it for almost any game mechanic. "Why bother having different dialogue options when I can just look up the one that gives me the thing I want most and choose that?" "Why bother having fights that require tactics when I can just remember the spawn locations or look up hot strats online?"

If you don't want to metagame, that does make lore a valuable stat. And, people might disagree on this, but I think you can't really design a game around the assumption that people will metagame, because no matter what you do (unless you make every mechanic probability based, I guess), you'll always be able to game the system to some degree with foreknowledge.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm having a weird issue in the first fight I am in, after picking a ranger. My animal companion has Medreth engaged. Medreth activated Blinding Strike a while ago, and since then this will show up in the combat log every so often:
"...and critically hits with additional effect.
Medreth affects Lopin with Blinded for 15 seconds."
But there's nothing by Medreth prior to the "...and critically hits with additional effect."; there's no main attack. Just the blinding attack. And Blinding Strike doesn't seem to end. Is there any way I can extract a more comprehensive log file to send somewhere so this can be fixed? It's obviously a bug.

Also, my tooltip when hovering over the level up button is just a wood texture, no text. I don't know if this is caused by alt-tabbing to write about the previous issue.

E: Actually, that whole fight against Medreth&co only took 4 health off my Fighter, everyone else was completely unscathed. I killed the Cowled Woman with a double crit (Fighter attack for 37, Minoletta's from BB wizard where one missile crit for 41) plus the Wounding Shot DOT, but the other enemies certainly lived long enough to make attacks. Maybe Interdiction is bugged? I hit all the enemies with that at the very start of combat; maybe someone got to hit BB Fighter before it procced. I'd test this further myself but I'm leaving for my pen-and-paper roleplaying soon.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 26, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

- There's like a new grey bar across the portrait which I think is when you get to low health, it clamps down on your max stamina/endurance.

Yeah, since Health is the limiting factor (i.e., you will be Maimed/Killed before KOd), Endurance is limited to current Health. Before we put in that limiter, people would drop from low Health while it appeared that they were full of Stamina/Endurance.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Scorchy posted:

- Noticing that crafting supplies like plants and herbs are now scattered in world, you can walk around pick them off the ground. You can hilight them with Tab. Gives more incentive to explore and engage enemies blocking them.

Is Tab the universal highlight button? Because one of the worst things about the Infinity Engine was having to pixel-hunt for interactables and fixing that (by adding a highlight-all-interactables button) was one of the crucial things the last couple IE games (and NWN) did.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Dunno about that metal bar across the portrait. Limiting it is a good idea though, similar to what I suggested about the "Healing Pool" thingo, where once you're down to < 25% health you don't heal stamina anymore.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Is Tab the universal highlight button? Because one of the worst things about the Infinity Engine was having to pixel-hunt for interactables and fixing that (by adding a highlight-all-interactables button) was one of the crucial things the last couple IE games (and NWN) did.

Yes.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Problem is TAB has three functions mapped to it, they all need to be separate keys (or at least, highlight EVERYTHING needs to be seperate)

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

What's the go with the DT and DR combination?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

BB fighter turned invisible somehow. Does anyone remember the console command to sorta force a "reset" of a character?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah happened to me too, after a load game. NCarver just added it to the issue list. There's a bunch of new save/load issues in the new patch.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I really hate it when scripted stuff ignores my stealth state. Like Nyfre would initiate conversation with me as soon as I open the door to her room, which would unstealth me and the rest of the party.

Now sure, it would make sense for her to notice someone opening the door to her room (and I think it would be fine if opening a door or interacting with the environment otherwise would unstealth characters or reduce their stealth scores temporarily ), but I'm just worried that there will be a lot of jerks like her who will make me rage when I inevitably try to roll with an all stealthy party.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Likewise if you stealth into the Ogre cave, he will initiate conversation with you. Sure, you can talk yourself out of a fight and then ambush him, but in general I dislike scripted conversation forcing my characters out of stealth.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The preview on the latest issue of PC Gamer isn't anything special, but there are some really neat screenshots of some new areas and a few tidbits on the Path of Od Nua dungeon.

Spoiling just in case: the path of Od Nua is apparently right under the Stronghold, and in it Od Nua was building a gigantic statue of his dead son to put his soul into it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Spoiling just in case: the path of Od Nua is apparently right under the Stronghold, and in it Od Nua was building a gigantic statue of his dead son to put his soul into it.

Yeah already knew the location :) There's also sketches of every single Od Nua level in the game files as well. And in this patch there's black & whites of 103 of the area maps too.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The preview on the latest issue of PC Gamer isn't anything special, but there are some really neat screenshots of some new areas and a few tidbits on the Path of Od Nua dungeon.

Pretty dysfunctional family, what with the big rear end collar around the soon to be giant son-golem (if his plan had succeeded)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, the PC Gamer article states, in an image caption, that Defiance Bay is bigger than the city of Baldur's Gate. This is not correct.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

pun pundit posted:

Likewise if you stealth into the Ogre cave, he will initiate conversation with you. Sure, you can talk yourself out of a fight and then ambush him, but in general I dislike scripted conversation forcing my characters out of stealth.

Reminds me of another Ranger bug, the player's pet isn't walked into place (like a normal party member) when scripted cutscenes fire, and in fact they'll just stand there and block other party members from moving, causing the cutscene to hang. I thought I would have to alt-f4, but after maybe 15 seconds the cutscene ended and I could continue.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Well, this time I actually managed to play through almost all the content of the beta.

Overall I have a far better grasp on the combat in this build, and there weren't been any issues that made it absolutely impossible to win a fight. There is however a lot of minor issues (which accumulates while you are playing, saving/loading), and the party path-finding is, as other people have mentioned, absolutely atrocious.

Over all though the beta is shaping up, and the writing seems fine, so I am looking forward to the next patch and the final product.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 26, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Did anyone complain about the beetle encounter on Hard? I certainly didn't ... they nerfed the poo poo out of the best encounter on the map :/

It only really needed to be moved further back.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Uh, is it normal for weapons to not show their damage range on the item inspection screen anymore?

Also, my ranger's pet Stag couldn't enter the blue tunnel in the spider cavern. He stayed outside while the rest of my party went in.

And can anyone explain the HP system to me again? Which value determines falling in combat and which one is for actual death? And how do I know what kind of damage is hitting which value? When I was in combat it seemed like only my Endurance was going down (after which I'd fall) and then after combat I had some minor damage to my Health.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

BTW, the PC Gamer article states, in an image caption, that Defiance Bay is bigger than the city of Baldur's Gate. This is not correct.

Probably a good thing considering how many useless vendors it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Eddain posted:

And can anyone explain the HP system to me again? Which value determines falling in combat and which one is for actual death? And how do I know what kind of damage is hitting which value? When I was in combat it seemed like only my Endurance was going down (after which I'd fall) and then after combat I had some minor damage to my Health.

If you take x amount of damage, both your Endurance and Health goes down by x.

When a character reaches 0 Endurance that character is knocked out of the combat, and if everyone in the party is either dead or knocked out, it is game over (even if any member of the party still has Health left). If you win the combat encounter, the knocked out character will get up afterwards.

A character's Health is Endurance times [class specific multiplier] - see this post for the exact values. If a character's Health reaches 0 they are dead.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 27, 2014

• Locked thread