Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh my *flutters handkerchief, faints from The Vapors*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How has nobody bought Taste that av yet?

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

chaoslord posted:

No, it's really not. By the time Day 3 ends, this thread will have spanned nearly two weeks. You were warned in the OP that lurking would have consequences. You signed up for a giant game based on fan fiction. What did you think would happen?

You should post more now that you got spared from the modkill for whatever reason. Don't go back to lurking for another two weeks.

Calm down, dude. I'm not really going to argue about this, so this is the last that I'll comment on it. If Taste/DrHurt wants to modkill me from inactivity then so be it, but I'm not going to apologise for signing up for a game without realising that not lurking meant posting over 20 times in a day.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Sorry I disappeared yesterday, real life hit me in a bad way yesterday.

Someone explain to me why we were voting DHD; was it just set-up spec?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Holy poo poo; I felt bad about missing the contest, but I'd have been blown out of the water.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kitiara posted:

Calm down, dude. I'm not really going to argue about this, so this is the last that I'll comment on it. If Taste/DrHurt wants to modkill me from inactivity then so be it, but I'm not going to apologise for signing up for a game without realising that not lurking meant posting over 20 times in a day.

It didn't require posting over 20 times in a day, though, it was asking you to get above 20 posts before Game Day 2 ended. That was roughly 9 IRL days after your first post, so that was a little over 2 posts per 24 hours. My point was that you were saying it was really hard to get to that number and it wasn't. If someone left it to needing 18 posts in the last 24 hours of Game Day 2 to have broken 20 (you didn't, but this is an example), that would have been on the person who did it. That person lurking for a full week doesn't mean that asking for everyone to have 20 posts after 9 days is too much to ask.

My other point is you saying that you intended to post more when it became more about playing. There are still a bajillion people left and will be for quite a while. It might be another full literal week (heck, maybe even two or three depending of flips we get and claims that come in) before we see this start to shape up to something that resembles a normal game. If you wait for that long, you might actually get modkilled. If you do actually want to play, then I don't want to see you modkilled, but you will need to start posting a little more to make sure that doesn't happen.

I mean, heck, I haven't looked at the post counts in a while, but I bet you I am just above the line where Hurt decided "People below this need to post more". Some of those people have probably passed me now! Part of that was I got busy and fell behind on reading this particular thread so I was waiting for the dust to clear with the Massive Cull I was promised by the mod, which didn't happen :argh: And the other part is, like with what you said originally, it can feel odd at times replying and there's rarely anything to add. But find ways to do it. An easy one is commenting on contest stuff.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Byers2142 posted:

Sorry I disappeared yesterday, real life hit me in a bad way yesterday.

Someone explain to me why we were voting DHD; was it just set-up spec?

Well he did turn poque into a bad guy allegedly...

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Rarity posted:

How has nobody bought Taste that av yet?

He said not to or I would have already. I'm scared to see what happens now. On the one hand, he pardoned all the lowpost guys. On the other hand, he might give me a post restriction or modkill me for it. Decisions, decisions :ohdear:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well he did turn poque into a bad guy allegedly...

The votes were preflip; I could see that being made argument post-flip. I'm asking about the reasons for the votes at the time they were made.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Wow, how did my brain scramble those words in that way?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

It didn't require posting over 20 times in a day, though, it was asking you to get above 20 posts before Game Day 2 ended. That was roughly 9 IRL days after your first post, so that was a little over 2 posts per 24 hours. My point was that you were saying it was really hard to get to that number and it wasn't. If someone left it to needing 18 posts in the last 24 hours of Game Day 2 to have broken 20 (you didn't, but this is an example), that would have been on the person who did it. That person lurking for a full week doesn't mean that asking for everyone to have 20 posts after 9 days is too much to ask.

My other point is you saying that you intended to post more when it became more about playing. There are still a bajillion people left and will be for quite a while. It might be another full literal week (heck, maybe even two or three depending of flips we get and claims that come in) before we see this start to shape up to something that resembles a normal game. If you wait for that long, you might actually get modkilled. If you do actually want to play, then I don't want to see you modkilled, but you will need to start posting a little more to make sure that doesn't happen.

I mean, heck, I haven't looked at the post counts in a while, but I bet you I am just above the line where Hurt decided "People below this need to post more". Some of those people have probably passed me now! Part of that was I got busy and fell behind on reading this particular thread so I was waiting for the dust to clear with the Massive Cull I was promised by the mod, which didn't happen :argh: And the other part is, like with what you said originally, it can feel odd at times replying and there's rarely anything to add. But find ways to do it. An easy one is commenting on contest stuff.

Take a deep bref

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

The votes were preflip; I could see that being made argument post-flip. I'm asking about the reasons for the votes at the time they were made.

He randomised Poque's alignment, and then said he thought Poque was town based on absolutely nothing.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think Puntification is scum.

This post:

Puntification posted:

That's some seriously weak poo poo dude, "gosh I don't know, so I'll just add another to the vote leader without expressing an opinion on anything". Even poo poo reads are better than nothing. ##vote soscannonballs

feels like its just fake, since this is a game where you have a poster with 400+ posts, most of which are "I'm scum." Said poster also turned out to actually be scum but they didn't seem to be too bothered by him posting that on like every page. Also after my post there were 3 votes for me within 5 minutes, including the confirmed scum. I don't see why you would put a vote on a player who was resigned to being modkilled unless you were just trying to look like town.

I am not sure what to think of Diqnol and Byers right now. My experience with Diqnol is that he has an aggressive personality that gets him lynched as town, but so far he hasn't really been aggressive. I don't know if that makes him scum in this game, or if he is just playing differently because its a silly game with a lot of weird rolls. As for Byers, the only games I have been in with him we were masons and he seemed like a pretty sharp player, but so far in this game it doesn't look to me like he is putting in much effort to scumhunt. He also tried to push the idea that Poque was 3p and thus not worth going after yet. There is also a contradiction:

Byers2142 posted:

Ignoring your case and vote since you retracted it; I think Poque's not-town, and I think he's hiding behind his "I'm scum, totally lynch me!" persona to stay in the game as long as he can due to "too scummy to be scum" and apathy.

But in response to Rarity talking about JakeP and "too scummy to be scum" play, Byers says

Byers2142 posted:

Doesn't exist anymore, not for anyone who's played more than a few games. Scum use that excuse to hide behind.

So it looks to me like Byers was trying to brush off Poque as being 3p with "too scummy to be scum" which he says only scum use.

I don't know what to make of the DHD role changing thing. I could definitely see the scum team deciding to just mess around and see how much crazy stuff they could get away with since this is such a strange game, and I could see making up a story about role changing and using it to lynch a scumbuddy who didn't want to be in the game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

sos, I was gagged yesterday by a post limiter so I didn't have the luxury of aggression. One push is usually upward of 20 posts, twice my limit. Of course, 90% of the thread so far has been related to the daily contest or Poque not shutting the gently caress up.

I'm loathe to say it, but I think I'll reread the thread on my phone and get something done maybe.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I do like Byers for scum. He never shares an alignment with me and things seem totally ordinary in our interactions; I'd vote him. Your catch on the Poque as 3p thing is also decent, but I wonder when he said it. If it was before the DHD change, it's meaningless.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sos, consider that vote might have been an attempt to push you to give better reads. I don't think it's scummy of Punt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I do like Byers for scum. He never shares an alignment with me and things seem totally ordinary in our interactions; I'd vote him. Your catch on the Poque as 3p thing is also decent, but I wonder when he said it. If it was before the DHD change, it's meaningless.

It was on D2, after the role change happened, but before DHD and Poque claimed it.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Sos, consider that vote might have been an attempt to push you to give better reads. I don't think it's scummy of Punt.

I understand voting someone to push them, but at that point I was resigned to being modkilled so I don't really know what he was expecting to get out of me. I just think its bizarre that I got 3 votes so close to each other for such a bland post.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was on D2, after the role change happened, but before DHD and Poque claimed it.

The most significant possibility! Well well. I was going to ask Byers why he thought Poque was 3p, but actually, I did too. That or town, actually. The more I think about it the more I believe this is a null tell :/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The most significant possibility! Well well. I was going to ask Byers why he thought Poque was 3p, but actually, I did too. That or town, actually. The more I think about it the more I believe this is a null tell :/

i think it's pretty silly that he claimed the night action at all. poque was already driving a ton of attention to himself; why exacerbate that.

like, 'i wasn't scum before but now i am!!' seems like something poque could/would have said regardless of the role-switch being legit. like, if dhd actually thought poque was scum, why not help get him lynched d1?

possibilities:

1) he thought poque was scum and that turning him town would do any good

2) as scum, he knew that poque wasn't (or at the very least was on a different scum team.

or, of course,

c) he's not taking the game seriously. that could be forgiven, i guess, but this is going to turn into an actual mafia game at some point. i hope. :ohdear:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Propaganda Machine posted:

c) he's not taking the game seriously. that could be forgiven, i guess, but this is going to turn into an actual mafia game at some point. i hope. :ohdear:

Once we get down to ~15-20 players left range I bet it becomes pretty mafia-y. Especially because at that point the power roles will have a lot of information since it'll likely be another 5-6 game days until we get to that point.

Or maybe this will be a two month long Calvinball-esque game by the time its all said and done, who knows.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

chaoslord you promised you would buy an avatar

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

I understand voting someone to push them, but at that point I was resigned to being modkilled so I don't really know what he was expecting to get out of me. I just think its bizarre that I got 3 votes so close to each other for such a bland post.

I think those other 2 votes are far more suspect than Punt's vote. As for pushing you, have you considered that eliciting an emotional response from one resigned to being modkilled can both prevent them from being modkilled or maybe get useful information from a soon to be dead townie before they pass on. At worst, it accomplishes nothing. I think you're frustrated and not considering who might actually be scum!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Of course, i may be giving Punt too much credit.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

MildManeredManikin posted:

chaoslord you promised you would buy an avatar

I still want to but I'm legit scared of getting modkilled by Taste over it.

If I chicken out of giving it to Taste I'll buy it for myself to fulfill my promise to the thread, though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In other news, gently caress rereading this. I might later but every page takes a full minute to simply load on my phone with a payoff of reading inane bullshit post after post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

read 60 and 61, those are the only two pages where things happen.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

He randomised Poque's alignment, and then said he thought Poque was town based on absolutely nothing.

I missed the second part of that before; that makes more sense than just setup spec.

Not true, and following this line of reasoning has gotten us into trouble in the past. For instance, look at the 40K game where we wasted two game days attacking each other, and both flipped town.

I decided to accept that I secretly love you, and will only case you when you act scummy. You're not acting scummy, so I'm not casing you. Hence our "totally ordinary interactions..."

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

i think it's pretty silly that he claimed the night action at all. poque was already driving a ton of attention to himself; why exacerbate that.

like, 'i wasn't scum before but now i am!!' seems like something poque could/would have said regardless of the role-switch being legit. like, if dhd actually thought poque was scum, why not help get him lynched d1?

possibilities:

2) as scum, he knew that poque wasn't (or at the very least was on a different scum team.

or, of course,

I'll go ahead and guess he used it on Poque because either you make a scum town or at least 3p or you make someone who is absolutely going to get lynched a better lynch for town. Poque had mentioned lynchproof and his flavor was immortal - could it be his lynchproof was lost because scum lynchproof is bullshit?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

I am not sure what to think of Diqnol and Byers right now. My experience with Diqnol is that he has an aggressive personality that gets him lynched as town, but so far he hasn't really been aggressive. I don't know if that makes him scum in this game, or if he is just playing differently because its a silly game with a lot of weird rolls. As for Byers, the only games I have been in with him we were masons and he seemed like a pretty sharp player, but so far in this game it doesn't look to me like he is putting in much effort to scumhunt. He also tried to push the idea that Poque was 3p and thus not worth going after yet. There is also a contradiction:

But in response to Rarity talking about JakeP and "too scummy to be scum" play, Byers says

So it looks to me like Byers was trying to brush off Poque as being 3p with "too scummy to be scum" which he says only scum use.

No, what I said in those posts was that Poque himself was using the "too scummy to be scum" defense by being over the top, and that I would expect his scumbros to rein him in from that; if he's not town and he's not got scumbros, he's 3P. That was my whole line of reasoning. I was right on him not being town, wrong on him not having scumbros.

As for being a pretty sharp player (I'm not, I get lucky), I'm worse in big games. Too much noise. I've made a few reads, but it's hard to follow up on because response happen pages apart unless both people are right there at the same time posting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that requires you to believe anyone actually ever thought poque was lynchproof. he claimed 3xlynchproof 3xbulletproof. which is and always was dumb.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Poque was going to lose that power no matter what as DHD's claimed power randomizes everything including role so Poque wouldn't end up having the same lynch proof stuff he did beforehand by random chance.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I keep assuming people think like me. Dhd probably did it because why not/funny and he thought his role was useless.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

possibilities:

or, of course,

Or he lied. It's a possibility to consider.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

that requires you to believe anyone actually ever thought poque was lynchproof. he claimed 3xlynchproof 3xbulletproof. which is and always was dumb.

I believed it. It would make sense based on how annoying he was being and this kind of game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no, poque being annoying wasn't related to his role or alignment. he started begging to be killed d1 before role pms were ever sent out.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

Or he lied. It's a possibility to consider.

Scum gambit? It didn't buy dhd much cred.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

maybe poque was playing off when asiina asked people to kill her in cartoons and nobody would kill her. maybe he wanted to see how long he could keep asking to be killed and if that is the surest way to stay alive.

Also is it still night?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Buy the av for Poque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

soscannonballs posted:

Puntification posted:

It's as much about giving him something to respond to as far as I'm concerned.

I was quite explicit in my intent at the time, if you cared enough to make that post I thought it was worth challenging you in case it would make you more engaged.

• Locked thread