Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

I actually have one new in box, complete with the metal parts to make it an Exterminator. I figured it'd be a great long range anti infantry/light vehicle tank. The only problem is that those bits came out in 1999, and 2nd edition ended in 1998, so it wouldn't be era-appropriate :negative:

I could still pull it off, but that historical wargamer/milsperg gene in me would go wild.

Oh yeah, I forgot there wasn't that many revisions of the Leman Russ unless I'm really mistaken.

Looking at the various box covers for the kit there's been a couple of various ones but I really have no idea how much those kits actually got upgraded inbetween that.

Also this one is still one of my favourites. Also the first version I built but I can't remember what came with it in terms of armaments other than the battle cannon as I think I gave away all the spare parts later.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Convert a 2nd edition Land Raider, it's about the right size, and it's what they used.
I have one, but right now it's at my friend's house waiting to be stripped. That's gonna be a straight-up Land Raider though.

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot there wasn't that many revisions of the Leman Russ unless I'm really mistaken.

Looking at the various box covers for the kit there's been a couple of various ones but I really have no idea how much those kits actually got upgraded inbetween that.

Also this one is still one of my favourites. Also the first version I built but I can't remember what came with it in terms of armaments other than the battle cannon as I think I gave away all the spare parts later.

The Leman Russ in that box is the same as the one that they sold in 2nd edition, just with a more modernized accessory sprue. They've only made three plastic Leman Russ kits, and two of them are the standard and Demolisher variant boxes they sell today. Everything else has been conversion parts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wait, they definitely had Leman Russes in 2nd, here's the first image in Codex: Imperial Guard.

Just gotta find one of those weirdo hatches.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Wait, they definitely had Leman Russes in 2nd, here's the first image in Codex: Imperial Guard.

The Exterminator parts didn't come out until 3rd though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, Leman Russes and Demolishers were around, but Exterminators weren't. The variant I have is the Exterminator, which can be built as a standard LRBT, but I feel like I'd be wasting those cool metal parts and missing out on a cool tank I've never gotten to use.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Oh, gotcha. Well, the 2nd ed Leman Russ was the second model I ever built and I didn't have too much of a problem magnetizing the barrel, maybe you could do the same thing? I think I cut off the little pegs and just slotted them, so you could just pull it in and out. WOM, is it at your house? Check for me.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Aww, I told my sister 'surprise me' for my birthday, and she got me the 100-pack of tiny magnets from my Amazon list and a basing material sampler she found on Etsy. :glomp:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SRM posted:

Yeah, Leman Russes and Demolishers were around, but Exterminators weren't. The variant I have is the Exterminator, which can be built as a standard LRBT, but I feel like I'd be wasting those cool metal parts and missing out on a cool tank I've never gotten to use.

Just paint something like "wannabe 2nd edition" on a big banner or something on it, make light of your army's gimmick a little while being able to use those sweet bits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Invictus posted:

Just paint something like "wannabe 2nd edition" on a big banner or something on it, make light of your army's gimmick a little while being able to use those sweet bits.
I'll just do a big banner that says FALSUS AUTHENTICUS

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

REVISIONISTUS HISTORIUM

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell why not throw in some modern stuff but 2nd edition them up. I'd love to see you paint something recent, like a Baneblade, in a 2nd edition paintscheme.

Silhouette posted:

REVISIONISTUS HISTORIUM

This

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SRM posted:

I'll just do a big banner that says FALSUS AUTHENTICUS

More than likely I have the old plastic parts you need to make it correct for the first version. I just need clear pictures of the parts before I dive into the bits box.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Silhouette posted:

REVISIONISTUS HISTORIUM
Okay that's leagues better than mine. Consider that idea noted.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hell why not throw in some modern stuff but 2nd edition them up. I'd love to see you paint something recent, like a Baneblade, in a 2nd edition paintscheme.
Some of the folks I play with are into the Horus Heresy and I kind of want to take part. Doing up modern Forgeworld models in retro Ultramarines colors would give people whiplash, I think. I've thought of at least expanding into some 3rd ed models though, just for kicks. There are some I'd really like to paint, namely this guy:

LingcodKilla posted:

More than likely I have the old plastic parts you need to make it correct for the first version. I just need clear pictures of the parts before I dive into the bits box.
I think I've got everything I need for the tank, but I'll let you know if I need anything!

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

Some of the folks I play with are into the Horus Heresy and I kind of want to take part.

Yes.... yesss...... You missed Horus day a week or two back, PM me next time you are headed over and I will bring him along to encourage you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zhent posted:

Yes.... yesss...... You missed Horus day a week or two back, PM me next time you are headed over and I will bring him along to encourage you.
I'll be there next week! Can't wait to see him in person.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SRM posted:

There are some I'd really like to paint, namely this guy:

That's actually the model used for my internet namesake, Captain Invictus. :)

It's a great model, I would love to see an Invictus conversion by you since I believe he was in the 2nd edition codex but not further editions, I'm pretty sure the above 3rd edition picture was from a White Dwarf special rules thing for him.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SRM posted:

Okay that's leagues better than mine. Consider that idea noted.

Some of the folks I play with are into the Horus Heresy and I kind of want to take part. Doing up modern Forgeworld models in retro Ultramarines colors would give people whiplash, I think. I've thought of at least expanding into some 3rd ed models though, just for kicks. There are some I'd really like to paint, namely this guy:

I think I've got everything I need for the tank, but I'll let you know if I need anything!

Never did finish painting that guy since I could never find a use for him. Still on the unfinished shelf.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aww I remember that guy. Pretty sure it was the first HQ model I ever painted. I know I did him in black so I could practice for the jump pack chaplain I really wanted to do after. ~memories~

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My Space Hulk copy is out for delivery! :neckbeard:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That's actually the model used for my internet namesake, Captain Invictus. :)

It's a great model, I would love to see an Invictus conversion by you since I believe he was in the 2nd edition codex but not further editions, I'm pretty sure the above 3rd edition picture was from a White Dwarf special rules thing for him.

Yeah, he had rules. If I recall correctly, that a "plasma blaster" he's wielding. It was something like four shots of plasma and master crafted.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I had a hiatus being out of town and wrapped up in things, but after returning decided to revisit the dwarf and barbarian for touch-ups and seeing if I could ascribe some solid basing as well. After that, I decided to dive right back in with another figure, 'Duke Gerard' from Reaper. I really dug this guy's overall look as far as his armor, shield and little details--but after clean-up and prep it became quickly apparent to me that his head is... weird. It's shaped sort of like the master sculpt squished it to one side and once he was primed and I was painting it really messed with me; if you look you may be able to tell, but his face does not continue back to his head proper on his left-hand side. My other biggest problem is that his face itself is sort of 'flat'--so I tried to do what I could to fake some more depth during the painting process.

Here's Mr. Gerard, looking a bit better than my Bones copy of him:

And here's where I'm at so far with painting him; I ended up leaving off after a while with the intent to return later, but I'm kind of circling on what I can do to make him look better from here.

I accidentally missed painting a small leather satchel he has on the back of his right hip, so I know I need to go do that; he could also probably use blending with the cloth behind him. I haven't had any experience with doing highlights on metal armor, though; so far I took another stab at that chaos warrior tutorial for mixing up a custom glaze/wash with tamiya orange, black and a brown wash all thinned down together.

In the meantime, here is the dwarf now feeling all fancy on his nice acrylic base with some extra fixings:

And finally at long last I managed to get some shading that I was happy with for the barbarian; his green stuff expanded basing was also done so I went back to do very basic paint there for now; I'm undecided what else to do with basing for him, though.

Before:

After:

poo poo, I didn't notice the goof on his axehead, that'll need to get fixed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This may be a longshot but does anyone happen to know the color used to get that sort of rose-gold they paint the new Runelord kit in?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I'll be there next week! Can't wait to see him in person.

I hear he's pretty good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

I hear he's pretty good.
I'm stoked to actually see your work in person; your photography is great but I bet they look even better, model in hand.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I'm stoked to actually see your work in person; your photography is great but I bet they look even better, model in hand.

Please dont shatter my dreams if you think otherwise.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

recent, like a Baneblade, in a 2nd edition paintscheme.

Recent you say? http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/12/14/305018_md-2nd%20Edition,%20Baneblade,%20Datafax.jpg

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well I think he meant a plastic one; I've seen the Armorcast ones going on eBay pretty regularly:

serious gaylord posted:

Please dont shatter my dreams if you think otherwise.
I'll be gentle ;-*

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The other thing you could do is look at Titan legions. They had a ton of random flavors of vehicles that appeared nowhere else, and it's technically 2nd ed.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994164A-01.jpg

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The other thing you could do is look at Titan legions. They had a ton of random flavors of vehicles that appeared nowhere else, and it's technically 2nd ed.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994164A-01.jpg

There's actually an Armorcast version of the old Imperial Knight from then, but it was never released so there's just a few odd pictures of it floating around here and there. If I could find one I would paint that up and use it as intended post haste.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I saw this dude on Dakka selling his very similar Knights:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/420/267859.page#7174565

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

SRM posted:

There's actually an Armorcast version of the old Imperial Knight from then, but it was never released so there's just a few odd pictures of it floating around here and there. If I could find one I would paint that up and use it as intended post haste.

I've got an old armorcast shadowsword I'd sell from one loud-rear end color scheme painter to the next

Looks like this, but it's primed white and a little banged up:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
SRM! Paint a pinup on it stabbing a tyranid in the mouth!

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Well I just read this entire thread during my off-time at work, and I gotta say you guys are pretty drat inspiring. So much so that I'm definitely back in the game when it comes to plastic space barbies. Painting them anyways, who knows about playing the game. Still got the ork half of Assault on Black Reach, let's do this!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SRM, how interested would you be in painting an Armorcast Reaver or Warhound Titan? Unfortunately I cannot sell them to you since I made promises to the goons who sold them to me that I could buy them for cheap on the condition I not sell them and use them for personal use, but I don't want to ruin them with my bad painting. You live in the Boston-ish area, right? I live right outside Boston, we should talk. I figure they might be an interesting challenge for you, but you're free to decline if you're not interested.

Yeah, I meant the recent model, not recent rules-wise. :)

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord
I have a question for you paint-on-the-sprue/each-part-individually types. How do you deal with gap filling when you assemble the model afterwards?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

grumbster posted:

I have a question for you paint-on-the-sprue/each-part-individually types. How do you deal with gap filling when you assemble the model afterwards?

I'm really particular about the poses for my models, so I'll assemble them first. Then I prime them. Then I'll take them apart where needed and paint. I use blue tac for holding those bits together.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Under 15 posted:

I've got an old armorcast shadowsword I'd sell from one loud-rear end color scheme painter to the next

Looks like this, but it's primed white and a little banged up:

I remember Armorcast tanks looking like clown cars, that's actually pretty :coal:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just finished a character unit for my Trollbloods, the Sons of Bragg.

Group shot:

Rhudd:

Tor:

Wrathar:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just wondering if anyone is wanting a new/updated painting thread? I think PV is pretty busy (don't know what other threads he posts in) so the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while, and with the 'latest' techniques and the skills/efforts of everyone in this thread I think we can come up with a really refreshed and up to date OP. I can start collecting stuff over the next couple of weeks, and take input from whoever wants to contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Basius 2 Kickstarter is live!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2023606288/basius-2-the-deluxe-stamp-pad-terrain-tile-and-bas?ref=nav_search

• Locked thread