Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Apparently there's a free version of KeeperRL which is exactly the same except it only has ASCII graphics and no music.

In other news, holy crap Crawl 0.15 kicks rear end! No more item destruction, permanent corrosion and item weight. Also since last time I played there's a ton of super cool spells and many monsters have gotten unique abilities. Amnesia scrolls are rare but you can destroy spellbooks to forget a spell that is contained in it. Elemental utility items are also really sweet. You can use them as many times as you want, but they need you to kill a bunch of dudes before you can use them again. And, as usually, the level generators are cranking out even more varied levels than before.

The good part is summoning a spellforged servitor and suddenly you have a cool ally dude casting crystal spears and whatever else wicked spells you've got every turn without any mana costs.

Obligatory dick-waving:

A+++ would play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Olivil posted:

Would you say KeeperRL is worth $15?

I have a hard time justifying it when DF is free... :colbert:

Financially supporting cool roguelike developers is a decent way to ensure that they keep making cool roguelikes! :D

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Financially supporting cool roguelike developers is a decent way to ensure that they keep making cool roguelikes! :D

No kidding. It would be great if I could make Dungeonmans without having to worry about selling it, but I don't have that kind of money. If I can move enough copies of dmans, I get to keep making cool stuff. If not, I might end up jumping back into AAA and make cool stuff for someone else.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

No kidding. It would be great if I could make Dungeonmans without having to worry about selling it, but I don't have that kind of money. If I can move enough copies of dmans, I get to keep making cool stuff. If not, I might end up jumping back into AAA and make cool stuff for someone else.

Caves of Qud registrations made like $600! Not bad for 7 years work :D

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SnowblindFatal posted:

Apparently there's a free version of KeeperRL which is exactly the same except it only has ASCII graphics and no music.

Doesn't load on linux, so meh!

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Hi folks, I've played the hell out of Unreal World RPG and Neo Scavenger, are there any other RL games like the two mentioned that you are enjoying? I'd really like to get into another survival sim.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Johnnyonoes posted:

Hi folks, I've played the hell out of Unreal World RPG and Neo Scavenger, are there any other RL games like the two mentioned that you are enjoying? I'd really like to get into another survival sim.

Cataclysm DDA is a fun open world crafting/survival zombie roguelike in active development. Much more combat focused than Unreal World though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Sounds like somebody's not playing unreal world right, psychotic cannibal village-burning reaver is the best character.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

esquilax posted:

Cataclysm DDA is a fun open world crafting/survival zombie roguelike in active development. Much more combat focused than Unreal World though.
Note that you can play in static spawn mode and set the spawn rate to 0. This should restrict hostile spawns to occasional wolves and bears along with other animals. Setting the city size to 1 allows for vast wilderness areas, but they won't be too interesting due to game's focus on cities. Not sure if NPCs survivors spawn with a 0 spawn rate (if you want really rudimentary NPCs/human danger)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Filled out your survey Unormal.

Sproggiwood is really cute!

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 23, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Filled out your survey Unormal.

Sproggiwood it really cute!

Thanks :D How's everyone else enjoying Sproggiwood? It's a probably little on the easy side for this crowd (ala Dreadmore) but I hope you guys can get a little pocket tactical thrill out of it.

e: fyi, next patch will have right click to look/close look

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 23, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haven't touched it in a while but I mostly remember ice effects being broke as gently caress and armor being pretty uninteresting.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, fun but easy, and items are pretty boring. I didn't actually fill out your survey twice because I was too lazy to internetbamboozle the survey site to let me. Sorry, I lied.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

The whip weapons or whatever they are that hit random squares with elemental damage seemed super bad to me and I stuck with consistent weapons over them if I could. Also armor of the mongoose or whatever it is that randomly teleports you felt like it caused more trouble than it solved. Basically I've used ice weapons and the lightning armor that deafens me whenever it procs the most. The exception is with vampires where I use a lifesteal weapon because it makes them capable of hilarious no effort drain tanking if you also put two points into the AoE lifesteal, which I loved doing.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I pre-ordered Gauntlet and now I want people to join me on this roguelike adventure

It launches today

Anyone interested?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Unormal posted:

Thanks :D How's everyone else enjoying Sproggiwood? It's a probably little on the easy side for this crowd (ala Dreadmore) but I hope you guys can get a little pocket tactical thrill out of it.

e: fyi, next patch will have right click to look/close look

The right clicking look is much appreciated.

However getting the companionship of goats is less so! (Well apart from their charge sound which is great.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hi thread! felt like swinging by here and reminding you all that Eldritch exists and more people should play it.

Seriously, its a great game. Did a stream of it the other week and i dumped them on the 'tube if the unbelivers want to give it a chance: Starts at 3 minutes if you want to skip the intro music. Wont lie, the videos are :effort: on my part but i want more goons to have a chance for this game because its :krad:

Also the Eldritch 101 video is loving perfect. :allears: Punch a penguin!

Edit: And as for my part, is there any recommendations of where to go next from here? Because i've had my fun with Eldritch and want something similar/new. :shobon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 23, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Play Tower of Guns it owns

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LotsBread posted:

I pre-ordered Gauntlet and now I want people to join me on this roguelike adventure

It launches today

Anyone interested?

Wait, Gauntlet doesn't have fixed dungeons anymore?

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

:pwn:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone gifted me a copy and I'mma downloading it now. I will report back!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's a coop action dungeon crawler with fixed levels and extra lives. It's really fun but not a roguelike.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Space Bat posted:

It's a coop action dungeon crawler with fixed levels and extra lives. It's really fun but not a roguelike.
According to this trailer, some of the levels are procedurally generated.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Steam Marines finally hit v1.0 today---easily recommended for the dev's consistent persistence to polish and fix things up while it was in Alpha/Beta and because I'm pretty sure everybody hasn't cursed, in a good/hearty way, at their PC's enough today:

http://www.steammarines.com/

Also, some good transparency on what all has went into his wild ride in developing it these past few years:

http://www.worthlessbums.com/blog/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Johnnyonoes posted:

Hi folks, I've played the hell out of Neo Scavenger[...]

Thanks for mentioning it. I'm always on the lookout for new interesting rogulike-like games and Neo Scavenger looked interesting, so I bought it.
Now, does anyone have any tips for surviving longer than a dozen turns?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Now, does anyone have any tips for surviving longer than a dozen turns?

Start with the Wilderness skills and you can make fire at any forest hex, which will allow you to boil water at any hex, which will stave off a lot of your early problems. Use the lab you start in as a shelter, even if you don't have the right skills to upgrade it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, starting with Strong or Melee lets you kill the dogman at the start, while starting with both lets you destroy it without a scratch (warning: attempting to repeat this in non-scripted dogman battles may end badly for you). If you have the Trapping skill, you can use it, a glass shard, and the dogman's corpse to make yourself a warm, stylish, monstrously badass coat to walk around in. This helps greatly with early temperature problems. Trapping also lets you catch squirrels, cook them up, and make gloves and a coat out of them so you can be the Hobo King of the wasteland. Trapping is pretty goddamn good for survival in general.

Starting with Medic lets you get a medkit in the cryo facility (fairly handy), lets you diagnose your exact medical problems (quite handy), and makes you aware of the nature and value of drugs you find (surprisingly handy since selling drugs at the junk market is quite lucrative). It's not a critical skill, but if you have room for it, it's not a bad choice.

Athletic is very good since it helps you run away from poo poo, and lets you move further on the world map. Tough is better than you might think; in addition to making you a bit more resistant to pain and injury, it occasionally lets you headbutt opponents in combat, which is deceptively strong (I managed to headbutt a guy in the chest so hard that he immediately died, once).

My favourite starting build is good for figuring out the game, surviving for a long time, and committing lots of murder. I have taken to affectionately calling it the Ogre build. Here is how to make your own Ogre:

1. Take Strong, Tough, Melee, and Athletics. Grab the Insomnia drawback - I normally take Myopia but fixing it takes a long loving time and in the meantime it's a pretty big drawback, so just take Insomnia (which is sometimes quite annoying but rarely a big problem) instead. Using the extra slot you've opened up, take the Trapping skill.

2. Kill the poo poo out of that dogman with Strong and Melee. Finish the starting dialogue screen.

3. Go into the crafting menu and use Trapping, a glass shard, and the dogman corpse to make a sicknasty coat.

4. Put on the coat. Pick up the videotape and some glass shards.

5. Go scrounge for stuff in the nearest ruins. Make sure to grab some rags and some kind of container for your stuff. If you find a lighter, keep it on you forever. Same goes for a multitool. You also want to keep an eye out for a saucepan; that's your water purifier. Hoard at least three empty bottles to put boiled water in.

6. Go to the forest and grab a large branch. Combine it, your Melee skill, a couple of glass shards, and some rags to make a broad spear. You now have the best spear in the game.

7. Make fire. Boil water. Cook meat using fire and a large branch. Hunt. Raid. Scavenge. Headbutt things. Be a crude and violent Ogre. You can, in fact, eat people, but be aware that it will have Consequences that you might not like.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The endgame of Neo Scavenger was really really strange when I last played it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
gently caress yeah

The Pit got a new DLC, Juggernaut, today for $2.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323560/

Featuring:

New playable character, the Tarka male, Tor!
New recipes, including ammo conversion recipes! (over 50)
New weapons and weapon variants!
New items!
New monsters!
New achievements!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good to see Kerberos continuing to support the Pit with substantial new content after all this time, but I can't help but give a chuckle that only now, several massive DLCs in, have they got around to some ammo conversion recipes and whatnot considering folks have been chomping at the bit for that since the game first came out.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Helical Nightmares posted:

gently caress yeah

Featuring:

New playable character, the Tarka male, Tor!
New recipes, including ammo conversion recipes! (over 50)
New weapons and weapon variants!
New items!
New monsters!
New achievements!
Oh sweet! Now I only have to wait until it shows up on GOG, because that's where I got the game and the other DLC stuff :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

[...]
My favourite starting build is good for figuring out the game, surviving for a long time, and committing lots of murder. I have taken to affectionately calling it the Ogre build. Here is how to make your own Ogre:
[...]

Thanks for the info.
Dogman Coat and Broad Spear solved all my early-game issues.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud registrations made like $600! Not bad for 7 years work :D

Uh ill give you money for qud. Link me

E; and sproggiwood for my gf when it releases

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the info.
Dogman Coat and Broad Spear solved all my early-game issues.

No problem! Enjoy your murder :buddy:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

gently caress yeah

A good chunk of content there, and the price seems right too. I wasn't too impressed by SoTS: The Pit when it was first released, but it really seems to have followed in the footsteps of the original SoTS game and grown into something really solid. Quite playable with a gamepad, too.

Nice that they let you play as all the setting's main races in the game now, with Tarkan Changed Males effectively counting as an extra.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dominic White posted:

A good chunk of content there, and the price seems right too. I wasn't too impressed by SoTS: The Pit when it was first released, but it really seems to have followed in the footsteps of the original SoTS game and grown into something really solid. Quite playable with a gamepad, too.

Nice that they let you play as all the setting's main races in the game now, with Tarkan Changed Males effectively counting as an extra.

One of the largest complaints seemed to be that if you didn't get specific randomly dropped items early on, it wasn't going to be possible to get very far. Could have been components to build armor, maybe? Is this still an issue?

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I don't know if Desktop Dungeons is on-topic in this thread (it's not technically roguelike), but that game unlocks content at a regular enough clip that I'm pretty hooked. It's kicking my rear end, though; maybe I'm stupid, but it seems like you have to play it more like chess than like Nethack. The Shifting Passages level is currently murdering me; I just had the last boss there down to 2 hp and no recourse but surrender.

This is the same mechanic I love in TOME; unlocking new skill trees and classes is such a gratifying experience that I think it ought to be on every developer's radar. It also serves double-duty as a tutorial, by making the simplest character (typically fighter) open at the start, and unlocking the more complex characters as you go. TOME is kind of an embarrassment of riches in that respect, though, because the different classes play so little like each other.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mariposa posted:

It's kicking my rear end, though; maybe I'm stupid, but it seems like you have to play it more like chess than like Nethack.

This is exactly true. Desktop Dungeons is all about maximizing the xp you gain, while minimizing the amount of map you reveal and the amount of resources you spend, usually while also capitalizing on your abilities as much as possible. All the information's known, so it's more of a logic puzzle than a true roguelike. Still owns, though.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Stelas posted:

This is exactly true. Desktop Dungeons is all about maximizing the xp you gain, while minimizing the amount of map you reveal and the amount of resources you spend, usually while also capitalizing on your abilities as much as possible. All the information's known, so it's more of a logic puzzle than a true roguelike. Still owns, though.

Any advice on Automagic Teleport Machine (which requires you to beat Shifting Passages with anything you like, with Unstoppable)? The closest I've gotten is with a goblin assassin. The changelings there respond to your class; from the wiki:

quote:

Fighter - 1 death protection
Warlord - 1 death protection per level (this is by far the most dangerous type of Changeling)
Rogue - First Strike
Assassin - Poisonous
Monk - fast regeneration
Paladin - 50% physical resist
Wizard - magic attack
Sorcerer - retaliates fireball
Bloodmage - bloodless

I'm currently trying a halfling assassin with the viper ward, but I don't think it's going to work either. If I could kill both bosses, I could worship Dracul to get to level 10 and mop up.

Edit: The halfling assassin made it, barely, by converting almost all of his items for health potions to kill the last level 9 monster.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's another round of Sproggiwood keys.

Z̶I̶B̶V̶0̶-̶D̶D̶F̶N̶J̶-̶A̶H̶I̶4̶5̶
ECFL7-5CEBD-49GL7
E̶0̶2̶J̶3̶-̶Y̶N̶E̶V̶9̶-̶I̶Y̶F̶2̶M̶
IK6L0-9IDQE-V0PNG
8̶G̶D̶Z̶X̶-̶J̶Z̶Q̶W̶5̶-̶X̶V̶I̶A̶C̶

If you take a key, it'd be great if you could fill out this survey after playing the first couple dungeons: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/v2cpc3h

Thanks!

Unormal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 27, 2014