Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I never did manage to figure out how to use my first set properly. Do you use greenstuff? How do you keep it from sticking, but still fill in the mold properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cool but oh god the comic sans. :gonk:

Also, if I had actually figured out what theme I want to go with for my bases I'd probably try to get in on this thing.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 26, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I backed for a 10 pack. I used the hell out of the first wave ones, and the Mantic pads look awesome.

Zhent posted:

I never did manage to figure out how to use my first set properly. Do you use greenstuff? How do you keep it from sticking, but still fill in the mold properly?

Yes greenstuff, graystuff, whitestuff, any epoxy puddy works. Air dry clays also work fine. Water or vaseline. I use water and have no issues.

Cooked Auto posted:

Cool but oh god the comic sans. :gonk:

Also, if I had actually figured out what theme I want to go with for my bases I'd probably try to get in on this thing.

Don't be that guy. It's a font. Other fonts are used way more, just a select group of people freak out about it.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I'll have to put some more effort into experimenting. Do you do it the way they suggest in their post - fill a base with greenstuff, then press the base onto the wet mold?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

LumberingTroll posted:

Don't be that guy. It's a font. Other fonts are used way more, just a select group of people freak out about it.

Oh I'm fully aware of that. But I still think it's an awful looking font.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh I'm fully aware of that. But I still think it's an awful looking font.

I'm with you. Yes it was overused way back when but it's terrible. It's like pictures and video of a hated politician - you just don't want to see that.

I'm considering backing the Basius KS, I've backed tons of gaming KS campaigns and this one I'd probably actually use. Just have to really think about how much basing I'll be doing, and what types to get. It's great they're doing reversible ones now, that makes it way better value. I like the bookshelf style stacking they've got as well.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Zhent posted:

I'll have to put some more effort into experimenting. Do you do it the way they suggest in their post - fill a base with greenstuff, then press the base onto the wet mold?

Yeah, thats what I have always done.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
That kickstarter is great, and those 2-sided molds are 100% how they should be done. Given the value I *almost* feel like a sucker for having paid so much for "version 1.0" if it weren't for the fact that i've already gotten a TON of use out of them. Absolutely no regrets; will probably be getting more.

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, thats what I have always done.

So I've had most success using black Milliput - haven't tried "Green Stuff" yet. I've found that if I mix it, press it onto the base, and then let it "cure" slightly for 30-45 minutes it adheres strongly to the base removing the risk of accidentally pulling it off (which has happened with more deeply textured patterns) and hardens up the putty enough to make it good at holding sharp detail while not being too hard to press effectively. Specific timings will vary based on your putty, of course.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wet the pad, then make a ball of two-part plumbers epoxy (it cures rapidly, and is substantially cheaper) and then smoosh the ball between a dry base and the damp pad.

You can also use coins to make small basing elements or details, which works great when the figure is fixed to the base. You can also cut and place them around the feet.

I baked for the Sanctuary pad, I'm finally going to do up my Sisters and Abyssal Dwarfs with dungeon / chapel floors.

Edit: I seriously love the one I bought, I've used it on almost everything I've based since.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 26, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LumberingTroll posted:

I backed for a 10 pack. I used the hell out of the first wave ones, and the Mantic pads look awesome.

Yes greenstuff, graystuff, whitestuff, any epoxy puddy works. Air dry clays also work fine. Water or vaseline. I use water and have no issues.

Any chance you won't need/want all 10 and would be willing to split your order? Or failing that, is there enough interest to do a US based group order? (Though I'm not sure how amazing the savings would be after re-shipping these).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Invictus posted:

SRM, how interested would you be in painting an Armorcast Reaver or Warhound Titan? Unfortunately I cannot sell them to you since I made promises to the goons who sold them to me that I could buy them for cheap on the condition I not sell them and use them for personal use, but I don't want to ruin them with my bad painting. You live in the Boston-ish area, right? I live right outside Boston, we should talk. I figure they might be an interesting challenge for you, but you're free to decline if you're not interested.
Emailin you bout dis.

Fyrbrand posted:

Just finished a character unit for my Trollbloods, the Sons of Bragg.

Group shot:

Rhudd:

Tor:

Wrathar:

My favorite is the one that's screaming.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

My favorite is the one that's screaming.

I see what you did there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any chance you won't need/want all 10 and would be willing to split your order? Or failing that, is there enough interest to do a US based group order? (Though I'm not sure how amazing the savings would be after re-shipping these).

I'd probably be in for a group US order.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Fyrbrand posted:

Just finished a character unit for my Trollbloods, the Sons of Bragg.

Wrathar:

All of these look really great, this guy in particular to me; how do you go about painting your armor / metal bits? I feel like they turned out looking really slick and I'm jealous!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

So I bought two of these Dreamforge Leviathans in 15mm scale to be DreadKnights in my Grey Knights army.

Does anybody have suggestions for a cool CC weapon substution? THe one included is about 6cms, some kind of huge chainfist/sword thing would be perfect.
I'm going to swap the crazy gun for a smaller one as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GaistHeidegger posted:

All of these look really great, this guy in particular to me; how do you go about painting your armor / metal bits? I feel like they turned out looking really slick and I'm jealous!

Thanks. They are honestly nothing special- basecoat, wash, drybrush kinda stuff. In fact, I did a lot less on these guys as I didn't want my typical rusty/weathered Trollblood metal on them. The gold is slightly more nuanced or whatever though. Started with a basecoat of 50/50 Rhulic Gold / GW Scorched Brown, then overbrush of Rhulic, heavy Agrax wash, then drybrush Rhulic, and a final drybrush of a brighter gold (forget the name, some old GW one).

In terms of technique, nothing challenging at all, but I do like how it turns out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HardCoil posted:

So I bought two of these Dreamforge Leviathans in 15mm scale to be DreadKnights in my Grey Knights army.

Does anybody have suggestions for a cool CC weapon substution? THe one included is about 6cms, some kind of huge chainfist/sword thing would be perfect.

Look at the 5th picture.
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/mek_tater.html

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Irondog is seriously the best. He's doing a retro Ultramarines army too right now, but he's using more modern models painted in a retro style. Speaking of, I finished painting up the Whirlwind/Hunter/Stalker. It's different enough from a regular Whirlwind that I think people will buy it as an anti-air vehicle:

And here's everything I've painted this month - it's been productive!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

krushgroove posted:

Just wondering if anyone is wanting a new/updated painting thread? I think PV is pretty busy (don't know what other threads he posts in) so the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while, and with the 'latest' techniques and the skills/efforts of everyone in this thread I think we can come up with a really refreshed and up to date OP. I can start collecting stuff over the next couple of weeks, and take input from whoever wants to contribute.

Yeah I'd be up for this. The first page is a bit of a wasteland of broken images and links

I'll miss being able to click the ? and see the crazy progress most have made over the years, but 5 years is a long time for a thread

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm down to help out as well

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Can the tip of "You should really lurk on LAF, no seriously." be in the new OP?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SRM posted:

Irondog is seriously the best. He's doing a retro Ultramarines army too right now, but he's using more modern models painted in a retro style. Speaking of, I finished painting up the Whirlwind/Hunter/Stalker. It's different enough from a regular Whirlwind that I think people will buy it as an anti-air vehicle:

2nd ed whirlwinds were the box? I thought it was the 6 tubes. Or did you custom that one?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

2nd ed whirlwinds were the box? I thought it was the 6 tubes. Or did you custom that one?
The box is a 1992 Epicast bit licensed by GW (as you can see on the copyright information, sculpted right on the launcher :v:) based on the old Rogue Trader Whirlwind conversion. I used that instead of the regular turret so I could use the tank as a Hunter/Stalker without people getting confused that it looked like a Whirlwind.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool I'll get started on stuff in the next week or so, no rush. If anyone wants to provide stuff like links, videos, blogs or whatever, as well as your own blogs or whatever too put in the OP drop me an email at krushgroove169 @ Gmail

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Can the tip of "You should really lurk on LAF, no seriously." be in the new OP?
What's LAF?

VVV: Oooh, that looks like a nice time sink. Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 27, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

What's LAF?

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php

Dive deep into the well of insane project logs for systems no one has heard of and time periods you never knew were wargamed.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Careful, some of those threads are NSFW for nekkid figures

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

El Estrago Bonito posted:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php

Dive deep into the well of insane project logs for systems no one has heard of and time periods you never knew were wargamed.

Oh god what have you done, that forum is a can of worms :(

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished this month (finally)

Croak Hunter

And my complete 35 pt Calaban theme Gatorman army (needs a few small touches here and there to complete it).

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Sweet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HardCoil posted:

I believe they will be producing a 15mm version of this soon.

Also, good choice, if the 15mm Leviathans are anything like the 28mm ones, they're insanely detailed assemblies with tons of articulation options when putting it together. :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Indolent Bastard posted:

The shipping is about 12 dollars. I am willing to start up a split order. I'm going to buy two. Anyone interested, PM me. I did a split order for the last one and everyone ended up happy :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Klear trip report- it definitely auto smooths your models, but it also definitely obscures a certain amount of detail. As a neurotic type A painter this bothers me.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

krushgroove posted:

Just wondering if anyone is wanting a new/updated painting thread? I think PV is pretty busy (don't know what other threads he posts in) so the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while, and with the 'latest' techniques and the skills/efforts of everyone in this thread I think we can come up with a really refreshed and up to date OP. I can start collecting stuff over the next couple of weeks, and take input from whoever wants to contribute.

I've been slowly working on an updated newbie post over the past few days, actually, since GW has completely changed their paint line since I wrote the last one, and I now own a camera suitable for taking decent example photos and recording good demos of stuff like priming (and perhaps eventually blending methods).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
So I recently grabbed some P3 paints and wondered what the general consensus of them was. Also, is it recommended that I decant them into some empty dropper bottles I have handy? Just figured I would get some goon painting expert opinions. :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use 90% P3 paints and love them. Their consistency is awesome with great coverage. Only real drawback is a limited color range. You'll still want to water them down, but its about 2:1 (paint:water) vs GW's 1:1. I keep mine in the pots and transfer paint out with a 'bitch brush'. If you want to transfer them into droppers you can which would make them even easier to work with.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

stabbington posted:

I've been slowly working on an updated newbie post over the past few days, actually, since GW has completely changed their paint line since I wrote the last one, and I now own a camera suitable for taking decent example photos and recording good demos of stuff like priming (and perhaps eventually blending methods).
Great! I've got a general layout already and I was going to adapt your current guide but this sounds much me better. Drop me an email when it's done and I'll insert it in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Would anyone buy a bunch of used GW paints? Kinda thinking of thinning my herd due to space and lack of time to paint during the next 8 months.

Not expecting a great amount for them but if some new painter wants to jump start a collection it could probaly be a good deal for them.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe they will be producing a 15mm version of this soon.

Also, good choice, if the 15mm Leviathans are anything like the 28mm ones, they're insanely detailed assemblies with tons of articulation options when putting it together. :)

Oh cool, an official thing would be easiest before I start trying to scratchbuild something :)
I think the 15mm kit is just a downscaled version, it does seem very articulated with small pistons and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HardCoil posted:

Oh cool, an official thing would be easiest before I start trying to scratchbuild something :)
I think the 15mm kit is just a downscaled version, it does seem very articulated with small pistons and stuff.

Here's the kickstarter page, it's got some examples of the 15mm stuff, though I don't think it's available for mass purchase yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreamforge-games/something-wicked-this-way-comes-crusader-plastic-m

Also, I am super excited for the future models he's making, the Ada mini wasn't anything to sneeze at but the female Eisenkern are both excellent sculpts and also realistically designed and proportioned. He asked for feedback on their designs and changed them accordingly, they look fantastic and I'll be buying a few boxes as soon as he puts them out to mix in with the male Eisenkern.

edit: waitwaitwaitwaitwait whoa whoa whoa. I've not actually assembled a Leviathan, but they're this big? Isn't this, like, standing next to the GW Knight Titan? For $35 less you get that much more of a bigger, badder bot. I've not followed GW in years, are they still doing well? Not collapsed under their own hubris yet?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 27, 2014

• Locked thread