Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I remember that thread, did it ever get goldmined?

I don't think it did. Shame because there were some really good ones in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I'M DOCTOR BOMB was my second choice for an username.

The Booty
Jul 18, 2014

Sweet niblets
I like butts, so I called myself the booty.

The Booty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 19, 2014

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I'm a diver. My name isn't Richard.

In commercial school we used to do practice dive logs with fake names like
Miles Deep and Sharon Needles. The vessel was usually listed as the DSV Raging Queen or some such nonsense on the paperwork. Vaguely homo-erotic names were popular, no idea why.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

i was scared to sign up

:lol:

Adam
Jan 7, 2001
Much like my biblical namesake, I'm uncreative and happened to show up on the first day.

Napkin Go2Guy
Jun 12, 2005

From tha streetz.
I posted in a thread where people got their usernames changed to something weird. I honestly have no idea what it means...

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
It's Russian for self-publication. I'm not Russian though. It also comes from a book by David Foster Wallace called "Infinite Jest," in which there exists a video creation (from the title, but also referred to as "the entertainment/the samizdat") that will make viewers go insane and eventually die.

I really just had to think up a second screen name after I wanted to disappear from the forums under my first one for several years.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Ninjas are awesome. Dinosaurs are awesome. Imagine if you combined the two, how awesome that would be!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I played some golf. Then I came home and registered for these here forums. The jerk upthread had taken my preferred name ("Adam"). Thanks, jerk.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I got my avatar in an early Community thread, when Blossom came up, and I mentioned the Mad Magazine parody Blah-some. Then someone bought everyone contributing to the Blossom derail a Blossom-related avatar. I'm probably the only one who still has it, mostly because I'm cheap.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am black and I am a guy. Also, just blackguy was taken, so I was looking at my PSone at the time and how it was 32 bit, so I put them together.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Like the Trix Rabbit, except a Rabbi.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Toxic Toast by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Haven't thought about it for a while....

My avatar text? What one of the first girls I ever asked out said. I thought it was a funny way to say NO.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

I'm ashamed of my names origin..

because when i was 7 i heard Zyntherius & Tiga - Sunglasses at night... Loved the song.. thought the name was awesome.. And so .. after 16 years i've had it as my username

Slide Rule
Feb 21, 2007

Emoticons will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
The everymans computer before 1980

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Zyntherius posted:

I'm ashamed of my names origin..

because when i was 7 i heard Zyntherius & Tiga - Sunglasses at night... Loved the song.. thought the name was awesome.. And so .. after 16 years i've had it as my username

That track is from 2001, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit:. This was dumb. Everyone know what my user name is

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2014

Indigo Raven
Sep 1, 2008

HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!
Back in my preteen years, I spent an unreasonable amount of time thinking about unique usernames, which I threw up into my fanfiction.net profile as "aliases" and never actually used. Indigo Raven was probably derived from my favorite color at the time and... I still don't remember where the raven part came from. Probably just something that sounded cool. v:rolleyes:v

Fastforward the better part of a decade, I stumbled upon that account again shortly before I decided to register for SA but couldn't think of a new name. This one stood out as one that wasn't likely to be taken, wasn't overly weebish, and one that I hadn't actually used anywhere else. So I deleted the ffn account and brought it here. I'll probably change it eventually - now it makes me think of some sort of new age crystal waving weirdo thanks to the whole Indigo Children fad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was in 6th grade signing up for Adventure Quest (a dumb pseudo-RPG online game for people that thought they were too cool for Runescape) and I thought the image of my username was SO RANDOM LOL so I went with it. I never realized it could be a weird term for an elf until someone called me that in a message board argument somewhere.

I've used it other places but never really liked it. It just sort of stuck around as an internet handle. When I signed up here I spent a few minutes trying to come up with something clever but it just never came to me. One day when I have an actual income I will spend :10bux: or whatever the cost would be on a name change and an avatar.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've gone by many names over the years. I pick a new one each time my then-current username becomes known to someone I have to look in the eye. Applewhite is the most recent.

Two sources sort of congealed together:

The most immediate inspiration was a misheard lyric from "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World
(it just takes some time
in the middle
in the middle
Ap-ple-white)

The song was stuck in my head at the time of choosing.

Aside from that, I had the name Applewhite rattling around in my head from goodness knows where. I believed at the time that "Marshal[sic] Applewhite" was a grizzled frontier lawman. It wasn't until later that I learned Marshall Applewhite was the leader of the Heaven's Gate cult. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Applewhite

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Absolutely nothing.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdaeCpIqmA

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

the jizz taxi posted:

That track is from 2001, though.

I do apologies then I, On occasion Block out years from my memories, most of them become a blur without fine detail. All i knew was that it was a long time ago. Thank you for correcting a fuzzy memory of mine

must of been 10 then when i heard it

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

It can only have been drugs cause I have no idea. I have used it for years though in multiple online games going as far back as quake 2.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
A stottie cake (roughly means "bouncy cake", because apparently if you drop one it bounces) is a kind of big bread roll from north-east England. A lot of my family is from there and I went to university there, and I ate a lot of stotties as a student because they're big and cheap and good for making sandwiches, so I got to really like them. If you say "stottie cake" in a Geordie accent, it sounds like "stottie kyek".

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Because I'm old.

In the 80's there was a show "Not necessarily the news" and they had a bit for "Sniglets", words that should exist but dont. Potentater - The longest french fry in the container, Milkdudes - those two milkduds fused together in the box. Snackmosphere - the 95% air in a bag of chips.

Toasticle - The little bits of toast that end up in the butter.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Mine was from a flash cartoon I helped make. The name was of a mentioned character who was supposed to be a parody of Jack Bauer from "24", although in the end we used the name Jack McSmash instead.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Way back in the early days of the internets it used to be "cool" to have a Simpson's inspired username. I started using Tipsy McStaggers on various BBS's, but got tired of typing the whole thing out. So there's your answer.

TipsyMc fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 24, 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

we eat so many shrimp I got iodine poisoning

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Years ago the concept of a Jedi wandering around nude just 'cause they could me me laugh.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

Vordhosbn is the name of an Aphex Twin song. I picked it because I like the song, plus it's a unique enough username that I can usually use it elsewhere on the web without having to worry about it being taken already.

Splice
Jul 14, 2012
A pair of sunglasses by Oakley. Bought them nearly a decade ago, and I still have them.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

we eat so many shrimp I got iodine poisoning

The ocean called. They're running out of shrimp.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The ocean called. They're running out of shrimp.

The jerk thread called. They are running out of you. Heh.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
On the internet I was originally "HaloScott3" but a few years back I had an awakening and cringed thus changing it to ScottyWired. I don't remember the reasoning for the 'wired' part.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I was that kid in kindergarten who ate the crayons :unsmith:

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
like four years ago I got into an argument with a friend about whether or not a webcomic contained an elaborate blowjob joke so I sent an email to the guy who made the thing under the alias "Chad Masterson" (I was right, it did).

Chasterson is a portmanteau of that alias.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I don't remember. I know I had a good reason too, but it's been like ten years. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

It was the name of a artist's blog I was into at the time. Now everyone thinks it's from a Strip Club in Toronto.

• Locked thread