Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It seems to be more about the commentary really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

It seems to be more about the commentary really.

How they're not emotionally invested in a railroady subpar zombie drama, I suppose.

Also, c'mon, Kenny. The stupid risky-as-hell zombie plan was YOUR idea.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy MOLY are people really mad about choices other people are making in a fictional video game. This is probably the most dislikes I've ever seen TBFP get and it's over something as dumb as this? Like, go home and play the games yourselves if you don't like matt and pats choices, guys.

One guy was like "you guys are MONSTERS for axing Saritas hand" as if the writer who gave them that choice isn't to blame.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh my god the Youtube comments are beautiful.

But in all seriousness, I've been watching the Deadly Premonition LP this last week. They basically hate on Quint as much as they hate on Kenny here - it's just that in this game, you can directly gently caress with the characters you hate. Also, they're loving with a character other people like, and you're allowed to make fun of dumb stuff as long as it's not dumb stuff I like, then you're awful. Also, when you're basically railroaded into sympathizing with Kenny every other decision, is it a surprise that the dude becomes a focal point of commentary? I mean, it's not like they took every decision just to upset Kenny. They sided with him on the plan almost every time even. Sheesh.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy MOLY are people really mad about choices other people are making in a fictional video game. This is probably the most dislikes I've ever seen TBFP get and it's over something as dumb as this? Like, go home and play the games yourselves if you don't like matt and pats choices, guys.

One guy was like "you guys are MONSTERS for axing Saritas hand" as if the writer who gave them that choice isn't to blame.

Yeah it is interesting to see how just how much the writers have tried pushing "Hey it's your buddy Kenny!" onto them and they're not having any of that poo poo.

It's also kinda odd there wasn't any choice for bringing up the whole salt-lick incident since she was actually there to see it go down.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

As someone who is mostly watching this to see Matt & Pat make the rear end in a top hat choices I missed out on my first time through, I love this LP. :allears:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

What? She was bit, of course you axe her arm. There are rules you agree to when it's the zombie apocalypse.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

hoobajoo posted:

What? She was bit, of course you axe her arm. There are rules you agree to when it's the zombie apocalypse.

Really, they'd be monsters not to do that. But then Sarita freaks out about having her life saved and gets eaten. Such is the fate of being in Kenny's family, and not being a boat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I chopped off Sarita's arm too and thought "Well I didn't do this to Lee because it was too late, but I can save her," NOPE. Apparently she still does nonetheless so what's even the point.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
The best part of this LP is seeing them make all of the stupid decisions I didn't make when I played it. I already know how everything shakes out, but I'm still seeing new dialogue which would be worth it on its own, never mind seeing their raw hatred of almost everyone in the group. The "they're playing it wrong" comments are especially hilarious since the end of episode stats put them squarely in the majority on nearly every decision.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can't play it wrong if the game literally puts you in the same exact situation at the end of the game, can you

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

You can't play it wrong if the game literally puts you in the same exact situation at the end of the game, can you

"Whose Arm Is It Anyway, where everything leads to the same place and the answers don't matter"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Y'know, upon rewatching a friend play the first game, I suddenly take back any complaints I might have had. I'm honestly surprised at the difference in quality. Even in loading times.
Now I wanna see the bad stuff, I always play the goody two-shoes. Death and destruction ahoy! Piss everyone off!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what ARE the comments complaining about? Their treatment of Kenny? I admit I don't remember him being quite as bad as they do, but I think it's pretty funny how they relentlessly hate him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So what ARE the comments complaining about? Their treatment of Kenny? I admit I don't remember him being quite as bad as they do, but I think it's pretty funny how they relentlessly hate him.

People are butthurt that they're not playing this poorly written game the 'right' way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I find that games where making your own choices to shape the ending of the game (like Bioware games), there are always fans who are telling you that you're doing it wrong. Like, choosing a bad/evil choice means you're scum of the earth even though the point of those kinds of games is to well, actually see what happens as a consequence of what you did? I know that people were giving poo poo to Cryaotic for the ending he achieved in his playthrough for TWD Season 2.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Al-Saqr posted:

People are butthurt that they're not playing this poorly written game the 'right' way.

The best thing in this LP is why nonchalantly getting everyone killed and then talking over Kenny as he says "You can't just get people killed and expect people not to care!".

It's...just so perfect :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Need a gif of Woolie's glorious shield dance.

edit: today in dark souls 2 woolie murders a bunch of dogs

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 26, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Woolie dies to the boner dragon :allears:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I just realized this episode that the Defender Shield is my Kenny

Pat has made me utterly despise my beloved

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

Seriously I was legit mad when I saw she dies no matter what. Like I get that it's fuckin Telltale so no matter what she's not in that episode but I figured she'd at least be out of commission or something, but they literally established the rule that at the very least hacking an arm off that gets bit helps slow the process, and in the comics/show itself it straight up stops it if you're fast enough. I hate these non-choices so much.

I get poo poo like no matter what in the last episode of 1 Lee doesn't use the arm that you have the option to cut off, but why would you instantly say 'nah no matter what she dies, gently caress you'?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Let's be honest, in a situation like that Sarita was already panicking at being bit, it's no surprise that she would loving lose it when BAM arm chopped off out of nowhere, no poo poo she's going to scream and get mobbed. I'd think it would actually be better to NOT cut the arm off instantly, kill the zombie then deal with the arm after you've made it out of the pack. Telltale being lazy/shortstaffed and not having time to make branching paths aside, I think that in the moment it was a really cool, tough choice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're getting good mileage out of their budget but the limitations are pretty blatant.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Silentman0 posted:

Woolie dies to the boner dragon :allears:

Just before that, I lost it at "Sorry, Woolie" as he popped that chest.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dias posted:

How they're not emotionally invested in a railroady subpar zombie drama, I suppose.

Also, c'mon, Kenny. The stupid risky-as-hell zombie plan was YOUR idea.

Nah, it's just not that funny anymore. I don't care if they hate Kenny or do things to spite him, most of the commentary is just "haha pick this because I loving hate Kenny."

It's just not terribly interesting, though part of it's to blame on Season 2 as a whole being eh overall.

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
I think it's weird that people get so emotionally invested in obvious non-choices. Like, if any given character CAN die, they're obviously going to die within an episode or two because Telltale can only make so many versions of each cutscene. Or sometimes they won't even bother and will just exclude that character from cutscenes, making it even harder to care about them before they bite it.

Also, while the Kenny hate is a bit over the top (and likely played up for comedy), I would possibly make similar choices just because I dislike when a writer assumes that the reader is as much in love with their favorite character as they are. I mean, how many [Hug Kenny] options do there need to be before his fans agree that the game is trying too hard?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Man given the comments for the last video I was expecting them to have stabbed Kenny in the dick or something. Nope, just made some fairly practical and not particularly drastic choices.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

AXE COP posted:

Man given the comments for the last video I was expecting them to have stabbed Kenny in the dick or something. Nope, just made some fairly practical and not particularly drastic choices.

No but..but.. they didn't make the RIGHT CHOICES that don't matter anyways!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Come to think of it, this is EXACTLY the same thing that happened when TBF played call of duty ghosts to do that predator joke and got blasted by COD fanboys for not trying to play the 'right' way.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Yeah, this is what strikes me about it. For all their spite, they've made consistently fair decisions. For example, vouching for Nick with Walter, because as much as they wanted him gone, he was trying to be a decent guy. And regardless of any lack of metagaming skill, if you look at their choices from an 'in-character' perspective, Clementine at her worst is doing as well as could be expected from any 11-year-old. Story-wise, all these people loving up and dying is absolutely their own fault.

Who expects a 'serious' playthrough from TBF, anyway? Being goofy belligerents with a good group dynamic is what they do, it's why I watch Super Best Friends LPs.

Basically, what I'm taking away from all of this is that many TWD fans are batshit crazy and have no sense of humor at all.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Beef Waifu posted:

so what's even the point.

The TRUE subtitle of TWD season 2.

Dias posted:

"Whose Arm Is It Anyway, where everything leads to the same place and the answers don't matter"

The TRUE TRUE subtitle of TWD season 2!

Also I forgot who said it in here but it's hilarious how hard they've turned into Season 1 Kenny in order to gently caress with Season 2 Kenny. All it's missing is setting up elaborate but ineffective traps to try to get him killed.

All I want is this playthrough to break down into LITERAL Looney Toons.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 26, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with TWD in general is that it's a franchise that has a fine setup for exploring a devastated society starting to rebuild itself but the scope is character drama so all you get is Failure of the Week ad nauseam.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

quakster posted:

The problem with TWD in general is that it's a franchise that has a fine setup for exploring a devastated society starting to rebuild itself but the scope is character drama so all you get is Failure of the Week ad nauseam.

Also, nothing you do will ever actually rebuild society because the setting is 100% about the dumb failures.

Like a Fallout equivalent to the zombie apocalypse might be kind of cool, but that'd be a bit harder to write than their strained drama shtick.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also, nothing you do will ever actually rebuild society because the setting is 100% about the dumb failures.

Like a Fallout equivalent to the zombie apocalypse might be kind of cool, but that'd be a bit harder to write than their strained drama shtick.

Read World War Z

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Somebody sell me on Deadly Premonition. I watched what felt like an eternity and there was still no gameplay. What's the draw?

edit: while I'm at it, sell me on Yakuza as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

beep by grandpa posted:

Somebody sell me on Deadly Premonition. I watched what felt like an eternity and there was still no gameplay. What's the draw?

The gameplay in Deadly Premonition is 100% pure garbage. The only reason you should watch/play that game is because the characters are goofy and the plot is great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DP is an open-world slice of life murder mystery with quirky characters that has random gameplay because the publishers said so. You play for the characters, asking for the gameplay is a regret you'll have.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Deadly Premonition is one of those "good bad games". It's probably best to watch someone else play it really.
Basically the gameplay is absolute trash and is only there cause someone up top asked for it to better sell the game. If you wanna enjoy DP you're mostly watching it for the amazingly quirky dialogue/cutscenes and the murder mystery.

Yakuza is a super plot heavy ARPG of sorts. It's a MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS in modern Japan game while also being incredibly silly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Somebody sell me on Deadly Premonition.

They're good. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

beep by grandpa posted:

HGH posted:

Deadly Premonition is one of those "good bad games". It's probably best to watch someone else play it really.
Basically the gameplay is absolute trash and is only there cause someone up top asked for it to better sell the game. If you wanna enjoy DP you're mostly watching it for the amazingly quirky dialogue/cutscenes and the murder mystery.

^ What this guy said basically. Supergreatfriend made a 100% complete playthrough for the LP forum here (in the LP archives and on Youtube), it's amazing how much content DP has really.